Is this possible?

PDA

ZekeLuvs1911
March 29, 2003, 10:16 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/892606.asp?0cv=CA01

In the opening battle, the tank unit fired two 120 mm high velocity depleted uranium rounds straight down the main road,creating a powerful vacuum that literally sucked guerrillas out from their hideaways into the street where they were shot down by small arms fire or run over by the tanks.

Is this possible?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
March 29, 2003, 10:20 PM
Sounds like creative reporting. A little far fetched to me.

Bulldozer
March 29, 2003, 10:28 PM
Only if the gun was manufactureed by Oreck or Hoover!!!

Stevie-Ray
March 29, 2003, 10:29 PM
What a bunch of crap. Is that even a real article?

Mal H
March 29, 2003, 10:43 PM
Sounds like a tank driver was pulling some gullible reporters leg. Like Stevie-Ray implied, I had to examine the URL to be sure it wasn't from The Onion.

My father told me that the mosquitos were so big on Guam that one landed on a MAW airfield and the fuelers put 500 gallons of JP3 into it before they realized what it was. I almost believed him.

ahadams
March 29, 2003, 10:50 PM
although it's wandered some, we've been sort of discussing this issue at:

thread started this afternoon... (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16006)

like I said it has gotten side tracked a couple of times, but you guys are more than welcome to chime in!

shoot Mal - that's nothin' the stench off the rice paddies in Korea gets so thick in the summer that most mosquitos simply walk to work! :D

Dave R
March 29, 2003, 10:52 PM
I would just as soon believe that the pressure wave from the round blew them out the back of their caves. Equally likely.

XLMiguel
March 29, 2003, 10:54 PM
Ca ca del toro.

Do the math. Just like the mythical .44 mag that knocks a full-grown 200 lb man over the sofa and through the plate galss widow 15' behind it, how fast does a 240 gr. (approx. 15 gram/.45 oz) bullet have to be going to generate enough energy to do dat?

I don't know of any current ordinance with that performance profile. I could be wrong, but I've already made my annual mistake . . . JMO.

Standing Wolf
March 29, 2003, 11:15 PM
I don't know of any current ordinance with that performance profile. I could be wrong, but I've already made my annual mistake

Me, I dunno nuthin' about no history or nuthin', but I heard there was this bomb thingy invented way back in the 1940s that'd do stuff like that. I dunno. Maybe?

XLMiguel
March 29, 2003, 11:41 PM
?? Them 'daisy-cutter' fuel vapor type thingies flatten everything with a shockwave, doesn't suck 'em up, don't know the physics of the 'thermo-barric' stuff. Even tornados and hurricanes don't suck you out of the basement/ditch/hole-of-choice-opportunity, so go figure.

Still sounds like some tanker was having fun with dumb reproters (or is that redundant?).

Coronach
March 30, 2003, 12:48 AM
You idjit backwoods redneck gun nuts are forgetting the KEY FACT here.

That was a depleted uranium round. We ALL know that DU rounds can do horrific things like this.

How DARE you insult the intelligence of this college educated journalist? I mean, how dare you?

Mike ;)

Ian
March 30, 2003, 01:03 AM
If a shell created that kind of vacuum in its wake, do you realize what incredibly huge drag it would produce? You'd have a maximum range of a few feet. What a moronic reporter. :rolleyes:

Yohan
March 30, 2003, 01:19 AM
Maybe they meant "sucked out" as in the explosion forced the Iraqis to flee from the hideout.

samualt
March 30, 2003, 01:29 AM
"creating a powerful vacuum that literally sucked guerrillas out from their hideaways into the street"

Bahahahahaha. ROTFLMAO. Now that's funny!
Perhaps they meant the battle on the planet Tralfalmador, I hear they have some really advanced weapons.
:what:

Hal
March 30, 2003, 06:43 AM
"creating a powerful vacuum that literally sucked guerrillas out from their hideaways into the street"

Does this mean,,,

Monica is in Iraq? :what: :neener:

hehe. maybe the Army listed to all those suggestions about the Islam/pork thing and sent the pig over there.

Feanaro
March 30, 2003, 06:57 AM
I'd like to see the ballistic charts for a round the sucks people out from behind cover. :D Push, maybe if you made the round really big and really fast... suck doesn't sound right to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!