Re-edited poster (Thursday)

PDA

Oleg Volk
October 12, 2005, 10:08 PM
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/arms/dhs7203.sized.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Re-edited poster (Thursday)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sindawe
October 12, 2005, 10:14 PM
Hmmmm... I dunno about this one. The phrasing "...other terrorist organizations..." comes across as anti-government.

gulogulo1970
October 12, 2005, 10:16 PM
I like it, it has a really scary look.

CGofMP
October 12, 2005, 10:20 PM
The irony / deeper meaning of the picture is lost because the uniform is not visible and even if it were unless it was very obviously Nazi I doubt most people are gonna 'get it'.

just my opinion.

yorec
October 12, 2005, 10:25 PM
I think the "other terrorist organizations" was on purpose...

Pretty harsh and maybe far afield, but still has a point to make. Makes me cringe on one hand and nod in agreement on the other...

Only thing I can deffinately say is that the bottom lettering should be a little higher - kinda bleeding out of the frame - looks lobsided.

carebear
October 12, 2005, 10:45 PM
I'd say drop the "other". The first statement is more-or-less being made from the POV of the government on their behalf. The contradiction only comes in on the tag line.

After all, the government is never going to characterize itself as evil. The point needs to be made that even the SS were proclaimed as "the good guys" protecting the citizenry from enemies foreign and domestic.

Standing Wolf
October 12, 2005, 11:15 PM
I perceive a disconnect between the seal in the background and the old uniform and pistol in the foreground.

mustanger98
October 13, 2005, 12:03 AM
Well, I'm not sure which eagle that is in the seal, but it looks a lot like the old Prussian eagle which seems a bit different to a Weimar eagle. I'm not sure if that seal is that of a real gov't agency somewhere, but I sure saw the connection. The whole soldier's profile, in this case, screams "nazi" and conveys the gestapo-like air to rogue agencies.

javafiend
October 13, 2005, 12:13 AM
Most Americans are just too stupid to ever get that poster.

Zundfolge
October 13, 2005, 12:16 AM
What font is that you've been using lately?

Akira13
October 13, 2005, 12:24 AM
I think a swatstika in the background would help get the point across to your average person...

Justin
October 13, 2005, 12:47 AM
The text in the message strikes me as too ambiguous.

gulogulo1970
October 13, 2005, 12:57 AM
Hey guys, thats the American Eagle in the background, it is holding 13 arrows. Its been messed with a bit, but that is the spread eagle, go look at a quarter.

The poster has a Orwell like quality, very thought provoking.

Moparmike
October 13, 2005, 03:37 AM
I dont get that last line. My rights are the concern of the special men?

I dont know, it just doesn't seem to convey to me what you want it to. *shrug*

Oleg Volk
October 13, 2005, 07:32 AM
The seal is DHS.

I'll refine the text. I tried to make a pun about them concerned that rights even remain.

The person is "German" with an Astra C96 copy, which looks like a "bolo" used by Russians.

StopTheGrays
October 13, 2005, 10:03 AM
Swap the pistol with a luger. Just about everyone knows what one is and who is most often associated with them. Then allow them to connect the dots for themselves. Also the jack boots are a nice touch.

Werewolf
October 13, 2005, 10:15 AM
The text in the message strikes me as too ambiguous Me too...

About 3/4 of the way down have the red background fade into one where the red looks like dripping blood on a background of white. Of course you'd have to change the text color at the bottom to Black or maybe a deeper shade of red than the dripping shade.

Oleg Volk
October 13, 2005, 06:28 PM
(bump for the new caption)

spacemanspiff
October 13, 2005, 06:43 PM
The point needs to be made that even the SS were proclaimed as "the good guys" protecting the citizenry from enemies foreign and domestic
i think i need a refresher in the history of the SS.
not that i'm challenging your statement about the SS, but i was under the impression that even the German citizens knew that the SS was more about protecting the government from its domestic enemies. its a gray area to put 'foreign enemies' in there, since the SS was working through areas the germans occupied, or am i mistaken?

edit - i havent had my brain food for a while. am i confusing SS with Gestapo?

Standing Wolf
October 13, 2005, 07:59 PM
Much better copy!

chaim
October 13, 2005, 08:56 PM
i think i need a refresher in the history of the SS.
not that i'm challenging your statement about the SS, but i was under the impression that even the German citizens knew that the SS was more about protecting the government from its domestic enemies. its a gray area to put 'foreign enemies' in there, since the SS was working through areas the germans occupied, or am i mistaken?

edit - i havent had my brain food for a while. am i confusing SS with Gestapo?

Yes you are.

The SS were seen very similar to the way we see the Rangers, Green Berets, or Marines. They were the elite of the Nazi state, and many teens aspired to be members.

The Gestapo were the secret police which some people disliked, and I gather that few had many misconceptions about what they were about.

pax
October 13, 2005, 09:04 PM
That's a keeper.

pax

JohnKSa
October 13, 2005, 09:30 PM
You could leave out the word "civil".

Jubei
October 13, 2005, 11:23 PM
I like it. It definately reminds us that, unless we are careful, this is the way we could go.

Jubei

mustanger98
October 14, 2005, 12:42 AM
JohnKSa:
You could leave out the word "civil".

"Your Civil Rights, please" = (in my worst German accent) "Your papers, please"

KriegHund
October 14, 2005, 12:45 AM
Reminds me of james bond.

GunnySkox
October 14, 2005, 02:02 AM
I think it makes a lot of sense, with the German uniform in the foreground, with the American Eagle (that particular emblem is called "The Great Seal of the United States" if I'm not mistaken, and I could be) bathed in red 'hind him. It comes across very clearly with the connection. Also, it's not truly necessary for one to pick up on the fact that he's wearing a "Nazi" uniform right away. His bearing, the fact that he's in a uniform at all, and the fact that he's got that Broomhandle goin', combined with governmental imagery out back (and the red and black colors) get the visual point across just fine. You don't have to duct tape Swastikas to stuff to get a "this is bad news" across.

~GnSx
"Strong Bad, were you just first-basin' it with that piece a' loose-leaf?" ~Strong Sad

Oleg Volk
October 14, 2005, 12:34 PM
German reaction: they noticed the Bolo connection. http://www.gunboard.de/gb3/viewtopic.php?p=83334

Brad Johnson
October 14, 2005, 02:18 PM
Finger ON the trigger. Off the trigger is too, well..., safe.

Brad

Red Tornado
October 14, 2005, 03:23 PM
Love the new copy. Clear, concise, makes it point well. Bravo, Oleg.
RT

LoneStranger
October 15, 2005, 03:16 AM
As one who only learned American by speaking it I would suggest that you capitalize "State". This would indicate that you are talking about a separate entity as opposed to something like "in a drunken state". Rest looks good to me.

Smokey Joe
October 15, 2005, 12:03 PM
Oleg--There's a saying, "Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach. Those who can't even do that, criticize."

My point is, leave the poster alone. It's done. Your way. (And WELL done, BTW, IMHO.) Sure, if I had done it, it would look different. But that's my point. I DIDN'T do it, and you DID.

All these people who would change the font, the background, the exact shade of red used, etc, etc, other nitpicks--Let 'em make one themselves that's better.

When and where will this be published?

If you enjoyed reading about "Re-edited poster (Thursday)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!