Favorite dule purpose .357 mag load

PDA

kahr404life
October 13, 2005, 02:17 AM
If you could pick one type of .357 mag ammo (hunting, defense) what would it be. Take into account penatration, expansion on game, and effects on two legged varmits :evil: . I want to handload it so I'll need info on powder, charge weight, and primer (I like CCI) as well (I use starline brass :D ). I would also like to know different methods used to waterproof the case while loading them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite dule purpose .357 mag load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
only1asterisk
October 13, 2005, 03:59 AM
You want one off the shelf load to do both?

Remington's 180 SJHP wouldn't be a bad choice, nor would Speer's 158 grain Gold Dot. You give up some penetration on game for expansion on human targets, so you should probably pass on suboptimal shots on deer. Remington also has a 165 JHP, but I havenít used it yet. Maybe someone else can comment.
I wouldnít consider Winchesterís 180 Partition or Federals 180 LBT style flatnose to be especially well suited for self defense, but either would be better than a sharp stick. I havenít used the factory load, but my Model 27 likes the 180 grain Partition. I may use it this deer season if all goes well.

The simple fact is deer are not tanks. Most self defense loads are capable of taking deer if the hunter is cautious, puts his bullet in the right place and is willing to pass up all but the right shot. I would avoid anything that fragments in jello testing.

David

plateshooter
October 13, 2005, 06:04 AM
I use 180gr Remington JHP bullets, and 9.5 gr of Blue Dot. Easy on your gun and ears, and the most accurate load I have found for my 686s. With my scoped 6" off a rest, I can keep a cylinder full in a 5" shoot n see target at 100 yds with no problem.

ChristopherG
October 13, 2005, 09:23 AM
158 gr. Speer Gold Dot over 15 grs of 2400 w/standard primer (this is within published limits in my manuals, but work up from a starting load in your own published load manuals). If it was just hunting, I'd take the XTP over the GD, 'cause it's slightly more accurate in my guns; but if I was gonna carry it for SD, I would be troubled by the slow expansion of the XTP.

mtnbkr
October 13, 2005, 10:31 AM
If I were going to use a single load for all things, I would load the Remington 180gr SJHP to about 1200fps. A very close second would be the 180gr XTP at the same speed. The reason the XTP isn't first is that it might penetrate more than the Rem bullet (which has a large, soft lead nose). That said, the XTP is what I use for my "woodswalking" load. I don't use that gun for CCW.

I won't share load data because both my loads with both bullets are well over what the books say. I worked them up in my gun and have never fired them in anything else.

Chris

Z_Infidel
October 13, 2005, 10:42 AM
I know you said "one load", but I'm really not sure that is the best approach. Your best bet might be to find a load / bullet weight that your gun likes, then load some cartridges with both soft point and jacketed hollow point bullets of the same weight. That would cover your hunting and defense needs much better than using the same bullet type for both purposes.

I've settled on 158 gr JHP rounds for my 1894C, but I don't use it on deer sized game. If I did, I would use JSPs for deer and JHPs for everything else.

mwelch8404
October 13, 2005, 04:06 PM
Dual or duel?

entropy
October 13, 2005, 04:17 PM
125 XTP's pushed by the most accurate hot load your pistol or rifle produces with varying weights of whichever powder you choose. I preferred Accurate #7 or 296 for hot .357 loads when I loaded .357.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite dule purpose .357 mag load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!