Latest Poll On Bush Admin Performance (10-12)

PDA

bountyhunter
October 13, 2005, 01:23 PM
Bush Approval Drops

Sept. 12, 2005 -- Public views of the federal government's hurricane response have grown sharply more critical in the last week, pushing George W. Bush's leadership and performance ratings to career lows. A record 57 percent of Americans now disapprove of his work overall.

As striking as Bush's rating — his disapproval is higher than the worst for either of his last two two-term predecessors — is the intensity of sentiment against him: Forty-five percent of Americans "strongly" criticize Bush's performance in office, an unusually deep well of disapproval. Far fewer, 27 percent, strongly approve.

Bush gets 50-50 ratings for strong leadership and for trust in a crisis — long his strong suits, both now down sharply to career lows. A record 61 percent say he doesn't understand their problems. And his ratings on other issues have soured as well: A record 62 percent disapprove of his work on Iraq. On the economy, 58 percent disapprove; on gas prices, it's 72 percent. Even on handling terrorism, long the keystone of his support, half now approve of Bush's performance.

One brighter spot for the administration is the nomination of John Roberts as chief justice of the Unitef States: Fifty-five percent support his confirmation.

Bush's Handling of the Issues
---------------Approve------------Disapprove
Terrorism--------50%----------------47%
Katrina----------44-------------------54
Overall job-------42-------------------57

Economy--------40--------------------58

Iraq-------------38---------------------62

Gas prices-------25----------------------72

KATRINA — On Katrina, opinion has moved further away from Bush and his administration. Fifty-four percent now disapprove of his work on the hurricane, up seven points from an ABC News/Washington Post poll Sept. 2, four days after the storm hit the Gulf Coast. What had been essentially an even division on Bush's response is now disapproval by a 10-point margin.

More, 62 percent, rate the overall federal response negatively, up 11 points from initial public attitudes. Sixty-three percent say that two weeks after the hurricane hit, the administration still lacks a clear plan on how to handle it; rather than recovering its footing, the administration has lost eight points on this measure since Sept. 2. And three-quarters of Americans favor a 9/11 commission-style investigation of the hurricane response, apart from anything Congress might be planning.

There may be repercussions as well for administration policy on taxes: Nearly six in 10 Americans say consideration of tax cuts should be set aside for the time being.

RACE — The survey also finds a profound division between black and white Americans in their perceptions of the disaster response. Blacks overwhelmingly say hurricane preparedness and response were shortchanged because of the race and poverty of many of those affected, and call it a sign of broader racial inequality in this country. Whites are far less likely to see it that way.

Katrina and Race
-------------------------Yes, whites--No, whites---Yes, blacks---No, blacks
Did poverty and race
affect hurricane protection?--28%-------69%-----------71%---------27%

Did race and poverty affect
speed of response?-----------24---------73-------------76-----------21

Is relief effort indication
of broader racial inequality?---25---------73--------------63-----------36

Does Bush care
about black people?-----------65--------28--------------26-------------68

Seven in 10 blacks, for instance, believe New Orleans would have received better flood protection and emergency preparedness resources if it had been a wealthier, whiter city, rather than a largely poor, African-American one. Fewer than three in 10 whites agree.

Similarly, 76 percent of blacks think the federal government would have responded more quickly to rescue people trapped by floodwaters if more of them had been wealthy and white rather than poorer and black. Fewer than a quarter of whites share that view.

And among blacks, fewer but still a sizable majority, 63 percent, think problems with the hurricane relief effort are an indication of broader racial inequality. Among whites, a quarter agree.

There's the further issue of perceptions of Bush's own empathy. Sixty-eight percent of blacks think he doesn't care about the problems facing black people in this country; among whites, that declines to 28 percent. And even more blacks — 88 percent, more than in any other group— say Bush doesn't understand the problems of people like them.

PARTISANSHIP — On explicitly racial issues, views depend heavily on racial perspectives. On broader political issues, though, it's partisanship that counts the most (and blacks are the most loyal Democratic voting bloc).

Overall, for example, 84 percent of blacks disapprove of Bush's job performance, and 69 percent disapprove strongly — but those ratings are essentially no different than they've been all year, and are much the same among black and white Democrats alike. Similarly, seven in 10 Republicans approve of the president's performance on Katrina, compared with only 22 percent of Democrats — with white and black Democrats again in general agreement.

Putting some blame on the victims is another area, and a less explicitly political one, in which differences are more partisan than racial. This poll asked what was a bigger problem — that some people stayed in the hurricane's path because they didn't take the warnings seriously, or that some people had no way to leave and the government failed to provide transportation. Six in 10 Republicans say it was the former; six in 10 Democrats say the latter, with similar views among black and white Democrats alike.

Anger at the government's response also is more partisan than racial. Just over six in 10 Democrats are angry about it, regardless of their race, compared with just under a quarter of Republicans.

These results are from an ABC News/Washington Post poll on Hurricane Katrina and other topics that will be released in its entirety at 5 p.m. today. The poll was conducted by telephone Sept. 8-11, 2005, among a random national sample of 1,201 adults, including an oversample of 200 black respondents. The results have a three-point error margin. Fieldwork by TNS of Horsham, Pa.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/PollVault/story?id=1117357

If you enjoyed reading about "Latest Poll On Bush Admin Performance (10-12)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheEgg
October 13, 2005, 01:28 PM
Latest poll, 10-12????? :D

Man, try harder, that poll was done a month ago in September.

Bush is easy enough to bash without dredging up old surveys and lying about when they were done, dude.

bountyhunter
October 13, 2005, 01:37 PM
Sorry, I clicked the wrong link. I will post the one from yesterday (10-12) I meant to post (BTW, I'm thinking you shot yourself in the foot: this one is a lot worse.....)

Bush's approval rating dipped in the poll below a mid-September ranking of 40 percent.

only 28 percent of respondents believed the country was headed in the right direction,

Twenty-nine percent of people surveyed said Miers was qualified

48 percent of respondents said they preferred a Democratic-controlled Congress, compared with 39 percent who said they preferred Republican leadership

strong majorities did not believe that recent charges against former House Republican leader Tom DeLay of Texas or a federal investigation of Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist were politically motivated

Bush approval rating dips to 39 percent - poll

Oct 12, 2005 — WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush's job approval rating has fallen to a new low of 39 percent in an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released on Wednesday.

Bush's approval rating dipped in the poll below a mid-September ranking of 40 percent. The survey also found only 28 percent of respondents believed the country was headed in the right direction, NBC reported.

Bush's political challenges have been piling up in recent weeks, from criticism over his handling of Hurricane Katrina, to growing unease over rising gas prices to conservative discord over the nomination of Harriet Miers to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Many conservatives are outraged that Bush picked the White House insider with no judicial experience instead of a judge with clear-cut conservative credentials who could be counted on to move the high court firmly to the right.

Twenty-nine percent of people surveyed said Miers was qualified to serve on the highest court in the United States, while 24 percent thought she was not qualified and 46 percent said they did not know enough about her, NBC said.

The poll also found that strong majorities did not believe that recent charges against former House Republican leader Tom DeLay of Texas or a federal investigation of Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, a Tennessee Republican, were politically motivated, NBC said.

DeLay has been indicted in Texas on money-laundering and conspiracy charges linked to campaign financing. Frist is being investigated over a stock sale.

With the 2006 congressional elections a year away, 48 percent of respondents said they preferred a Democratic-controlled Congress, compared with 39 percent who said they preferred Republican leadership, NBC said.

The 9-point difference was the largest margin between the parties in the 11 years the NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll had been tracking the question, NBC said.

The poll of 807 adults was conducted from Saturday to Monday and had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4 percentage points.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1208296

StopTheGrays
October 13, 2005, 01:50 PM
These polls are really going to hurt Bush when he runs for his third term in 2008. I hope he finds a way to turn them around before then. :rolleyes:

Biker
October 13, 2005, 01:54 PM
I suspect that these polls are gonna hurt the Repubs running for congress next year. Might be a good thing, all in all...
Biker

TheEgg
October 13, 2005, 02:00 PM
(BTW, I'm thinking you shot yourself in the foot: this one is a lot worse.....)

You got the wrong man. Even though I voted for the man, I think he has lost his friggin mind (see the Miers nomination for details), and we need to lock him up in Crawford, quick. :D

BUT -- if you want to Bash Bush, or anyone else, do it right. Procedure is important, not just results.

THAT is why I object to your copy and paste crusade, Bounty Hunter. Your methods offend me. You have the right to do it this way, but you don't get any slack when you do. Posting the wrong article just confirms my opinions.

rick_reno
October 13, 2005, 02:09 PM
Here are the low approval ratings for the last seven presidents -

*Johnson: 35%
*Nixon: 24%
*Ford: 37%
*Carter: 28%
*Reagan: 35%
*Bush I: 29%
*Clinton: 37%

Bush, even at his new low is doing better than any of them.

bountyhunter
October 13, 2005, 02:20 PM
Bush's approval rating remains at all-time low

Optimism about country's future fading

President Bush is losing support from core backers of the Republican Party, according to a poll.
Larry Downing / Reuters

Updated: 6:37 p.m. ET Oct. 7, 2005
WASHINGTON - Evangelicals, Republican women, Southerners and other critical groups in President Bush’s political coalition are increasingly worried about the direction the nation is headed and disappointed with his performance, an AP-Ipsos poll found.

The growing unease could be a troubling sign for a White House already struggling to keep the Republican Party base from slipping over Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers, Gulf Coast spending projects, immigration and other issues.

“Politically, this is very serious for the president,” said James Thurber, a political scientist at American University. “If the base of his party has lost faith, that could spell trouble for his policy agenda and for the party generally.”

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Public sentiment about the nation’s direction has sunk to new depths at a time people are anxious about Iraq, the economy, gas prices and the management of billions of dollars being spent for recovery from the nation’s worst natural disaster.

Only 28 percent say the country is headed in the right direction while two-thirds, 66 percent, say it is on the wrong track, the poll found.

Live Vote
Can Bush recover from his low approval rating?

Those most likely to have lost confidence about the nation’s direction over the past year include white evangelicals, down 30 percentage points, Republican women, 28 points, Southerners, 26 points, and suburban men, 20 points.

Lowest approval rating of his presidency
Bush’s supporters are uneasy about issues including federal deficits, immigration and his latest nomination for the Supreme Court. Social conservatives are concerned about his choice of Miers, a relatively unknown lawyer who has most recently served as White House counsel.

“Bush is trying to get more support generally from the American public by seeming more moderate and showing he’s a strong leader at the same time he has a rebellion within his own party,” Thurber said. “The far right is starting to be very open about their claim that he’s not a real conservative.”

The president’s job approval is mired at the lowest level of his presidency — 39 percent. While four of five Republicans say they approve of Bush’s job performance — enthusiasm in that support has dipped over the last year.

Almost two-thirds of Republicans strongly approved of the job done by Bush in December 2004, soon after his re-election. The AP-Ipsos survey found that just half in his own party feel that way now.

The intensity of support for Bush’s job performance has also dropped sharply among white evangelicals, Southerners, people from rural areas and suburban men.

“We’ve lost focus on where we’re supposed to be going and not able to respond to the crises that affect the people of this country,” said David Ernest, a Republican from San Ramon, Calif., who is angry about the government’s response to Hurricane Katrina. “We’re mired in a Middle Eastern adventure and we’ve taken the focus off of our own country.”

Seen as having a political agenda
Bush has tried to reassure conservatives about his Supreme Court nominee. He’s also trying to counter critics of the war by tying U.S. efforts in Iraq to the larger war against terrorism. And he’s made frequent trips to the areas devastated by hurricanes Katrina and Rita to offset criticism of the government’s initial response to Katrina.

Even those efforts get viewed with suspicion by some.

“I just think the president is doing things for political reasons, not what’s right for the people,” said Traci Wallace, a Democrat from Tallahassee, Fla. “Every time he makes a trip to the hurricane zone, he’s blowing a million dollars.”

Of all the problems facing the country, the continuing war in Iraq is the one that troubles some Bush supporters the most.

“I approve of what the president is doing, but it’s a mixed decision,” said Richard Saulinski, a Republican from Orland Park, Ill. “We should get out of Iraq. It seems like there’s no light at the end of the tunnel. I just think we’re dealing with a culture we don’t really understand.”

The poll of 1,000 adults was conducted by Ipsos, an international polling company, from Monday to Wednesday and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Biker
October 13, 2005, 02:21 PM
Not to worry. He'll likely break his Daddy's record and Nixon's is certainly within reach. As Bob Dylan said, "It don't take a weatherman to know which way the wind blows..".
Biker

bountyhunter
October 13, 2005, 02:22 PM
Poll: Bush approval rating hits all-time low in New York

October 5, 2005, 10:13 AM EDT

ALBANY, N.Y. -- President Bush's job approval rating has hit an all-time low in New York with just 29 percent of New York voters giving him favorable marks, a statewide poll reported Wednesday.

Sixty-seven percent of those polled by the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute disapproved of how the Republican president was handling his job.

Bush's approval rating was at 35 percent among New York voters in an August poll from the Hamden, Conn.-based polling institute and was at 39 percent in December of last year just after he had won a second term. The president's all-time high approval rating in heavily Democratic New York state _ 82 percent _ came in November of 2001, just two months after the terrorist attacks that brought down the World Trade Center towers in Manhattan.

Another statewide poll out last week from Marist College's Institute for Public Opinion also pegged Bush's job approval rating at a new low _ 33 percent _ among New York voters.

Bush's approval rating among New York Republicans was at 61 percent in the new Quinnipiac poll while it was at 9 percent with Democrats.

Maurice Carroll, director of Quinnipiac's polling institute, noted that support for going to war in Iraq has fallen sharply. Sixty-four percent of New York voters said going to war was the wrong thing to do, up from 52 percent who felt that way about a year ago.

In addition to the war in Iraq, Bush has faced criticism in recent weeks for the federal government's emergency response to Hurricane Katrina that devastated New Orleans.

Quinnipiac's telephone poll of 1,219 registered voters in New York was conducted Sept. 26-Oct. 2 and has a sampling error margin of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--bush-newyork1005oct05,0,4131336.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

bountyhunter
October 13, 2005, 02:25 PM
THAT is why I object to your copy and paste crusade, Bounty Hunter. Your methods offend me. So, posting material to support a specific position offends you? What would you suggest: posting unsupported opinions?

"Copy and paste crusade" is just ad hominem for posting articles that print material somebody doesn't like. You or anybody else are free to post material which refutes it.

I admitted I clicked the wrong link from the list off the search engine and did not notice the date, I then posted the one from the date listed at the top of the thread. Take your pick, no shell game here. The info and links are posted.

longhorngunman
October 13, 2005, 02:26 PM
All-time low in New York! Ha! :D that's great. That means my confidence level in W has gone up. If he was getting good approval numbers in the Eastern version of the land of fruits and nuts , then I would be worried. :)

1 old 0311
October 13, 2005, 02:31 PM
I am just glad we have a President, unlike our last, who does not run the Office based on opinion polls.

Kevin

cuchulainn
October 13, 2005, 02:34 PM
Didn't you already start another thread about this?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=160578

TheEgg
October 13, 2005, 03:10 PM
So, posting material to support a specific position offends you? What would you suggest: posting unsupported opinions?

No, what offends me is that I cannot even tell what YOUR specific position is most of the time other than that you have an abiding, pathological hatred of George W. Bush. What your position is seems to get lost in an endless stream of 'sound bites'.

But, as I have opined before, I guess your hate keeps you warm at night. I hope you are happy with it.

And that my friend is it. No more. Waste of my time.

RealGun
October 13, 2005, 04:40 PM
Anything that marginalizes the radical religious right suits me fine. Then the GOP can focus more on real, legitimate government, even if they have to lose elections to do it. But the religious right has the same problem as alienated gun rights voters..."who are they going to vote for...the Democrats?"...the Dems being typically pro-choice, anti-religious tyranny. Pro-gun voters or any other wing will be marginalized, i.e. become effectively irrelevant or counterproductive, if they vote third party in real numbers.

The reason we have a two party system is because the real controlling issues are bipolar...haves and have nots, accumulate wealth and accumulate someone else's wealth, good for employer/good for employee, etc. The tricks with mirrors by those playing the center is what makes it all confusing unless paying close attention.

rick_reno
October 13, 2005, 06:21 PM
I am just glad we have a President, unlike our last, who does not run the Office based on opinion polls.

Kevin

Sure, that explains his 7th or 8th trip to the Gulf (I've lost track). I'm sure it was critical he showed up this morning to pound a nail into that house frame.
He's not much different than any of them - they all would rather be popular than not - it helps them implement their agenda.

bountyhunter
October 13, 2005, 06:49 PM
No, what offends me is that I cannot even tell what YOUR specific position is most of the time other than that you have an abiding, pathological hatred of George W. Bush. What your position is seems to get lost in an endless stream of 'sound bites'. A concise articulation of why you are failing: instead of reading the material which is posted, you must immediately try to "pigeonhole" my position so you can respond.

How about responding or commenting on the material instead of trying to figure out other people's "position"? The topic of this thread is the free fall of the Bush admin's approval ratings and the causes which underly that.

For the record, I have a pathological hatred of lying politicinas of any incarnation. Bush just happens to be the one doing the most lying which is doing the most damage. I don't like his cronyism which has stuffed the government full of incompetent morons in key positions and I don't like the fact Bush refuses to ever admit a mistake or hold anyone accountable. Not Rummy for the fiasco in Iraq, not the CIA for their catastrophic blunders of intelligence gathering, NOBODY. And I don't like his entire administration which is firmly founde on the "no fault" plan where nobody is ever responsible for anything.

The point of this thread is simply this: Bush's teflon is worn off. It is all starting to stick. The lies about WMD's, the lies about Hussein being connected to Al Qaeda, the baloney about how his tax "cut" was going to supercharge the economy, the baloney about how a GOP congress working with a GOP president could get things done, the baloney about the GOP being the party of small government and fiscal responsibility....

The sheeple are waking up, and the polls show it.

That is important, and with God's help, may be able to save this country before it's too late.

GoRon
October 13, 2005, 07:01 PM
The topic of this thread is the free fall of the Bush admin's approval ratings and the causes which underly that.

The cause is he is alienating his base by governing as a moderate.

Bush's teflon is worn off. It is all starting to stick. The lies about WMD's, the lies about Hussein being connected to Al Qaeda, the baloney about how his tax "cut" was going to supercharge the economy, the baloney about how a GOP congress working with a GOP president could get things done, the baloney about the GOP being the party of small government and fiscal responsibility....

Most of your list has nothing to do with his numbers being low, other than the small government and fiscal responsibilty. If you said the border and Supreme Court pics you would be closer to the truth.

Art Eatman
October 13, 2005, 07:04 PM
Dunno what this has to do with THR. Good stuff for APS.

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Latest Poll On Bush Admin Performance (10-12)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!