25-06

PDA

hardcorehunter5
March 30, 2003, 12:11 AM
Well I took some advice and started a new thread just on the
25-06. I was thinking about this round, wel just for fun. I would use it on deer in the long run. I also like thought of having something that is a little on he rare side. The only problem that I have is I am left-hand, so i either go custom or single shot. I have never shot one before, so I didn't want to invest alot of cash in a round like I might not care for. Give me some suggetions on what you all think of the round and if it wuld be at all practical as a hunting round in a single shot???

If you enjoyed reading about "25-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cratz2
March 30, 2003, 12:17 AM
Well, I'm wokring on a longer response but to the left handed issue, Savage makes plenty of left handed rifles that, while not perfect, would probably be significantly cheaper than the custom route. And I've seen leftys in 22-250, 6.5x55, 270 and 30-06 from Tikka but not sure about the 25-06.

And Remington makes the XB in a left hand version if you don't mind popin' the $1,500. or $1,600 it would take to get one in your hands. :p

And since I seem to be the king of suggesting other cartridges ( :D ) if you want something in this general range that isn't super common, the 260 and the 6.5x55 would also be about equally effective on most game at most distances with even less recoil than the 25-06.

Gordon
March 30, 2003, 12:49 AM
A Ruger #1 in 25-06 would scratch your itch , as would a B78 Browning. But for something different : a left hand Mark V Weatherby .257 magnum CAN'T be beat for that little extra something. For some reason these aren't that uncommon to find used. Just look at bore throat area real close as all big case .25's only last less than 1500rds(if kept cool ) before things start to change. Most used guns in excellent shape only seem to have couple hundred rounds at most as these calibers get pricey to shoot lots.:)

cratz2
March 30, 2003, 01:14 AM
The 25-06 is based on the 30-06 necked down to accept a .257 caliber bullet. It was created in the 1920s when many wildcatters were trying to get as many uses out of the 30-06 cases that were around after the first World War.

In my humble opinion, for folks that that want one rifle that pretty much covers most shooting and hunting bases, the 25-06 isn't a horrible cartridge. It isn't ideal for moose or for big bears in Alaska and it probably has too much recoil and muzzle blast to be ideal for varmints but it's perfect for coyote up to mule deer and even elk for the shooter that only takes suitable shots and uses correct bullets. The same can be said for many other cartridges but for me, there has always been something special about the 25.

My grandmother's brother was a game warden in eastern Tennessee back in the days when they actually did animal population control and he always used a 257 Roberts or at least that's what he told me. Since it was him that introduced me to shooting, a lot of his advice has stuck with me. He took more deer than he could remember and even black bear with that Roberts and said he knew for a fact that buddies of his had used the Roberts and the then-wildcat 25-06 to take elk up north. Since the 257 Roberts isn't too widely available these days, I made the move up to a 25-06.

Personally, I think the 6.5mm is about the perfect diameter balistically speaking in terms of offering the greatest killing ability in with the least bullet (thus powder, velocity and recoil) but the 243, .257, .277 and 7mm calibers are also pretty high on that list.

I have a friend that uses an Improved 25-06 in his benchrest rifle and he can keep 5 shots inside 1" at 300 yards and about 2"-2.5" at 600 yards. Now this is a super duper deluxe 18+ lb rifle with a 1.5" straight taper barrel but still, this shows the accuracy potential of the cartridge.

With the excellent Hornady 117 Gr SST bullet at about 3,100 fps, sighted in at 200 yards, you should be point blank at anywhere from 50 yards to just over 300 yards and you're only down about 19" at 400 yards where the bullet still has nearly 1,200 ft/lbs of energy if you're the sort to make shots at that distance which I am not. Even at 500 yards you're down about 40" and still have over 900 fl/lbs of energy. This is nearly as flat as the 300 Win Mag.

Recoil in a 9 lb rifle such as my Ruger 77 (including scope) is about 10 lbs which nearly any reasonably experienced shooter should be able master in short order. I just can't see how you could ask for much more out of a rifle cartridge other than it being able to fit in a short action. The 260 and 6.5x55 are also excellent cartridges but the 257 Roberts and 25-06 will always be pretty special in my book.

Helping along my love of the cartridge is the fact that the Ruger Model 77 I own in 25-06 only cost me $110 after I sold the original scope. It is well worn but not abused. The action is super slick and after a trigger job a local guy did for me, the pull is about 2.5 lbs - very nice. I have a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 scope mounted and while it isn't the very nicest scope I own, it is pretty darn good and an outstanding value. Since the bore wasn't perfect, I boughgt a firelapping kit and had a friend of mine load me up the cartridges. I'm not sure how much it improved the accuracy but the barrel is easier to clean and made me feel pretty good about the rifle though I haven't seen fit to firelap another rifle yet.

I have the same friend load me up the previously mentioned 117 Gr Hornady SST bullets. He's the same excellent bench rest shooter and he worked up this load for me after borrowing the rifle for a week. Says it's capable of about .7 MOA. I'll dig out some targets I've shot with this rifle. While I've never managed the .7" he got, I've shot several 1.5" groups at 100 yards and several 3"-3.5" groups at 200 yards. Under the right conditions and depending on the game, I'd consider this to be nearly a 300 yard rifle in my hands and I'm not the best shooter in the world. Or on this forum. Or probably even on this thread :D but I'm comfortable with the rifle and am confident with it. It's one of the two rifles I shoot the most, the other being my Winchester Coyote in 243. If I could only keep one centerfire rifle, this would likely be it.

http://photos.imageevent.com/cratz2/guns//DCP_1552a.jpg

Mr. Chitlin
March 30, 2003, 09:10 AM
My son and I have hunted with 25/06's for several years now. We have gone the 308-30/06-300 mag route, and got tired of being bashed by recoil. The 25/06 is a pleasure to shoot. I can go to the range and shoot 20, 30 or more rounds, and not have a sore shoulder. We shoot one load for all of our hunting, a 100 grain Nosler BT in front of a healthy load of REL22. It shoots just over 3300 fps, and is MOA or better. Both rifles are Ruger M77 MKII stainless rifles. This load is our coyote and deer load.

As for a lefty, another rifle that I have seen that looks real nice is the H&R 1871/NEF single shot rifles. I saw one with a 24 or 26 inch barrel and great looking laminated stock at a gun show recently, and it was only $225 brand new. It even had the weaver base on it. I have never shot one, but a friend of mine has this same gun in 243, and it is his only rifle. He hunts deer and varmints with it, and has absolutely no complaints about it.

Just another one to think about.

hardcorehunter5
March 30, 2003, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I definantly want another rifle. If you have more keep it coming!!

HC5

Sisco
March 30, 2003, 03:27 PM
Savage makes plenty of left handed rifles that, while not perfect
I'll go along with not pretty but "not perfect"?
My 111 in 25.06 will shoot sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I'm by no means what you'd call a marksman either. Not many rifles in the Savage price range can do that.
I've taken two mule deer, both at just over 100 yards. The only direction either deer moved when hit was straight down.
It's great medicine for coyotes, works on prairie dogs too but the recoil may be a little stout for all-day shooting.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=199792

critter
March 30, 2003, 03:59 PM
I have a 25-06 built on a M 98 Mauser (1909 Argentine) using barrel and stock from Midway and Timany trigger. I use the aforementioned 100 gr Nosler BT and IMR 4350. It is a tack-driver! I have used it on deer and it will dump them and right now! Really fun gun to shoot. Shot a few varments with it and 87 Gr bullets. Does well at that too.

Good luck with yours.

cratz2
March 30, 2003, 08:50 PM
Now Sisco... I like Savage rifles and often recommend them. I have two and have had about 6 others - I'm obviously not a Savage hater. They're accurate, but perfect? I doubt many would call a Savage perfect. Perfect for a price? Maybe. Perfect for a certain shooter? Only he can answer that. But not 'perfect' as a blanket statement. ;)

By the way, as I've said to you before, that's a very nice looking rifle.

Sisco
March 30, 2003, 09:03 PM
How 'bout "near perfect"? :D

dakotasin
March 30, 2003, 09:07 PM
i am pretty satisfied w/ my 25-06. i like its flat trajectory and decent power. i've used it on deer, prairie dogs, etc etc. it is certainly capable of killing deer...but, i think the 25-06 is at its best on antelope and smaller (coyotes, etc).

i am not saying the 25-06 is ineffective on deer. i am saying i think its forte is smaller game.

cratz2
March 30, 2003, 09:10 PM
I can certainly go for 'near perfect'.

Or even 'stupendously outstanding for the price'. :p

cratz2
March 30, 2003, 09:17 PM
dakotasin, times do change but there was a time when the 257 Roberts was considered on of the very best choices for pronghorn out to about 300 yards. The 25-06 should up that ante just a considerable bit. And one well-known writer/hunter preferred the 25-06 as his long range mule deer rifle. Not that gun writers count for much but this was back when I think most writers recommended from experience, not from under the table financing. On the other hand, our own esteemed Mr Eatman also thinks the 25-06 is on the weekside for mule deer. Personally, I've never taken anything larger than a coyote with a 25-06 but I would feel completely confident taking any deer I've ever seen with my 25-06.

As with most suggestions, a well placed shot with a proper bullet even from a smaller caliber has far more effect on game than a poorly placed shot with a kingkonga super duper magnum. Every time! ;)

harrydog
March 30, 2003, 09:34 PM
I think Sako now offers all of their models in left-hand versions.

Charles S
March 30, 2003, 09:45 PM
How about a Tompson Center Encore Rifle in 25-06. I had Virgin Valley Custom (http://www.virginvalleyguns.com/) build me a 300 WinMag a while back. I really am very pleased with the rifle.

If you think you might like a single shot I would highly recomend this very versitle option.

Charles

Art Eatman
March 31, 2003, 12:59 AM
If one is really sure of his shot placement, I imagine a .25-'06 would work on mulies. Average shooter? Ain't so sure. In general, I sorta prefer heavier bullets on larger deer as "insurance".

I once put an '06 150-grain about two ribs back of a mulie's heart. He just sorta humped up and looked all insulted. Just a little more brush around him, and I might not have gotten that second shot into his neck. All the whitetail I ever shot would have hit the ground before *maybe* getting back up. The idea of maybe losing a good buck sorta upsets me...

:), Art

Steve F
March 31, 2003, 10:50 AM
I've got 2 of them:cool: One is a Ruger 77 ,bull barrel with a Burris signiture 6X-24X on it.and the other is built on a 1903 Springfield platform,26'' Douglas bull barrel,Canjar double set trigger,and a Unrtel 15X ulrta varminter scope on top:D Both are wonderful rifles to shoot:neener:

hardcorehunter5
March 31, 2003, 11:50 PM
just cruised rugers web page. It has since i was there afew weeks ago. It is all new. Guess what I found. Bolt action left-hand new 2003 in 25-06. Now that is cool!

If you enjoyed reading about "25-06" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!