New Florida law?

PDA

CAnnoneer
October 14, 2005, 01:40 AM
One of my anti-gun colleagues complained loudly today about a too "liberal" new gun law in Florida. Please enlighten me, so that I can pass on the good word. Is this the "no obligation to retreat" stuff? She sounded as if there was now open shooting season on humans in Florida...:barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "New Florida law?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beerslurpy
October 14, 2005, 02:07 AM
The lady doth protest too much. The "obligation to retreat" does not exist in nearly 80 percent of the states in this country (either because of statute of because of case law).

If you think about it, either you have a right to defend yourself or an obligation to retreat. Just like before, if you are faced with a violent felony in progress, you may use deadly force. The new law removes the second guessing afterwards (did he exhaust all possible avenues of retreat, etc).

The same things that would get you killed last year will get you killed this year. The same sort of behavior that is safe last year is safe this year.

MarkDido
October 14, 2005, 10:29 AM
One of my anti-gun colleagues complained loudly today about a too "liberal" new gun law in Florida. Please enlighten me, so that I can pass on the good word. Is this the "no obligation to retreat" stuff? She sounded as if there was now open shooting season on humans in Florida...:barf:

It probably won't do any good, but you might tell her that in 1987 when Florida became a "shall issue" CCW state, the hoplophobes cried that there would be "blood running in the streets". That every fender bender would turn into a shootout.

Didn't happen.

I believe that there have only been a handful of incidents by a CCW holder in the last 16 years.

scout26
October 14, 2005, 11:17 AM
Nahh, she's right. Check the Florida DNR regs:

Tourist Season: 1 Jan-31 Dec. - 4 per day, max in possession is 12
Snowbird Season: 1 Nov-1 Mar - 2 Bluehairs per day, max in possession is 8
Yankee Season: 1 Jan-31 Dec - 5 per day, max in possession is 15, No bag limits on damn Yankees.

:neener:

geekWithA.45
October 14, 2005, 11:42 AM
I wrote this on the Florida law for Brits, who might be frightened by the Brady's propaganda. It applies to Americans frightened by the Bradites as well:

http://geekwitha45.blogspot.com/2005_09_25_geekwitha45_archive.html#112805342901676142

Car Knocker
October 14, 2005, 04:53 PM
You might point out to your colleague, if she's a Californian, that California also does not have an obligation to retreat on the books.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Florida law?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!