Improvised Plinking Targets, lets hear what you use

PDA

7.62wolfman
October 14, 2005, 07:01 PM
What do you all like to take out and shoot for a good round of plinking? A couple of my favorites have been cinder blocks (fun way to test impact power) and computer keyboards-call your shots using the letters (works best with a scope). For some reason spoiled yogurt and eggs are a blast, nice splatter effect. I'm usually relegated to bringing common household items like glass jars but if you hit right the lids sail off like sporting clays. The hardest thing to "kill" was an old Nordica ski boot- that thing was almost indetructable. Hit by AK-47, Mauser 8mm, .45 ACP, 12 ga, .357mag and about a 1,000 precison placed .22lr and it kept going for several shooting sessions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Improvised Plinking Targets, lets hear what you use" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mbs357
October 14, 2005, 07:03 PM
We used to stick spent .22 brass on twigs and hang things from the clothes line out back.
heh. XD

R.H. Lee
October 14, 2005, 07:05 PM
Golfballs were my favorite, but they outlawed them at the range. :(

dillonuser
October 14, 2005, 07:17 PM
I use small pieces of wood. That is, after I have spent the last 2-3 hours picking up the broken glass,shot up computer monitors, and other trash left by previous "sportsmen".

I wonder what the inside of their homes look like....

Biker
October 14, 2005, 07:22 PM
I like old water-filled milk jugs and empty cans. Great for impromptu shooting. The old 1000 for a buck paper plates work well too.
However Wolfman, I have to say that under most conditions, the "household...glass jars" you mention just aren't cool. All that broken glass is nearly impossible to clean up and as far as I know will be around for ever and creates a hazard for people and animals. I'm no tree-hugger, but this is one of the things that can give shooters a bad name. Had a dog lose a paw-pad to broken glass in the field once.
Just a thought...
Biker

Zundfolge
October 14, 2005, 07:24 PM
Stopsigns, mail boxes ... what? Why's everyone looking at me like that? :uhoh:

:neener:

james481
October 14, 2005, 07:28 PM
Best reactive plinking targets that I've found are Sam's Club sodas. Buy a 24 case for like $3, and then just shake 'em up real good before setting them up. Good size for close range handgun or 100 yard or so rifle. You can see real well when you get a hit, plus after use they are easy to clean up (unlike glass, etc). Also, you have a good supply of terrible cola to drink on those long dry range days.

James

PAC 762
October 14, 2005, 07:40 PM
When at the grocery store and go to the produce section. Find the door that goes to the back produce room and stick your head in. Ask if they have any rotten melons, orages, grapefruit, etc. Chances are they do and they'd rather you take them then them having to carry them to the trash.

Melons explode when hit. :D

armedcitizen
October 14, 2005, 07:44 PM
Playing cards hung on string, CERTS or other small mints, Necco wavers, crackers, Christmas light and "ball" ornaments. Clay pidgeons make nice reactive targets too.

One time a buddy and I were shooting an M1 carbine on private land and the guy had a junk pile. One of the items was an old porcelain toilet. Reducing that thing to dust was just about the most fun I've ever had with a gun.

RavenVT100
October 14, 2005, 08:26 PM
Back when I lived in Indiana I found a decent sized round glass table top in a junkyard. I was considering using it as a target but then I realized: Rolling it down a hill would be so much cooler.

The joys of being a teenager.

afasano
October 14, 2005, 08:26 PM
exploding bullseyes, charcoal, Oreos, spray cans, fruit and a shovel to clean everything up.

RavenVT100
October 14, 2005, 08:29 PM
exploding bullseyes, charcoal, Oreos, spray cans, fruit and a shovel to clean everything up.
I bet those little tiny rubber superballs would be fun. Also probably easy to clean up.

Parruthead
October 14, 2005, 08:35 PM
My 5 yr old enjoyed Shooting Ballons for the first time this week with our 10/22 Cheap and Easy to clean up. I blow them up big for my little guy at 25 yards to get him hooked I make them small for me for at 100 yrds with a scope.

Seven High
October 14, 2005, 08:45 PM
Coffee cans> Political yard signs. It just seems appropriate!

aerod1
October 14, 2005, 09:03 PM
Fill a 2 liter Coke bottle about 1/4 to 1/3 full of gasoline put the lid on and let it sit out in the hot Texas sun for a couple of hours. Then shoot it with an incendiary round (just a thought).
I also like to shoot oreo cookies, cow patties, eggs, bottles full of water, clays, golf balls (to piss off my golfer friends).

Jim

Dionysusigma
October 14, 2005, 09:09 PM
Thistles that grow in front of the berm. Hard-boiled eggs with the shells removed. Spoiled fruit. Paintballs. Saltines.

Basically, anything that'll not require any clean-up from me (I'm lazy). I'd rather spend my time cleaning the guns. Besides, the rotting fruit and eggs make a decent mulch, thus helping the thistles to grow even taller. :D

Standing Wolf
October 14, 2005, 09:34 PM
I use small pieces of wood. That is, after I have spent the last 2-3 hours picking up the broken glass,shot up computer monitors, and other trash left by previous "sportsmen".
I wonder what the inside of their homes look like....

You really don't want to know.

lysander
October 14, 2005, 09:43 PM
I have had success using sets of the cheapy orange plastic sports cones. They actually hold up for a good while...and are sufficiently reactive enough. I think the last set I bought set me back about $8.00 for a dozen....and I still am using that set.

Plus...clay pigeons are always a quick and cheap fix.

shermacman
October 14, 2005, 09:52 PM
My office buddies and I chip in for soda and snacks every week. I don't drink soda. But I take my share!
To the range and splatter full cans of Diet Coke. And yes, I clean'em up.
:D

Creeping Incrementalism
October 14, 2005, 10:06 PM
Best reactive plinking targets that I've found are Sam's Club sodas. Buy a 24 case for like $3, and then just shake 'em up real good before setting them up. Good size for close range handgun or 100 yard or so rifle. You can see real well when you get a hit, plus after use they are easy to clean up (unlike glass, etc). Also, you have a good supply of terrible cola to drink on those long dry range days.

James

I just save my empty soda cans, and I have a couple extra big coolers. Fill the coolers up with water, submerge the cans in them (it takes a few minutes to get 'em all), then throw the cooler in the back of your pickup truck and head to your shooting spot.

I was thinking it might be possible to use glass bottles without making a mess by taking along a heavy drop-cloth and a bucket and placing the bottles on the cloth. When you're done, carefully roll it up and throw it in the bucket.

lee n. field
October 14, 2005, 10:24 PM
hard disks

GunnySkox
October 14, 2005, 10:57 PM
I got a steel trashcan from Target for about five bucks. It survived all of about 100 rounds (it could probably take about 100 more, but then it'd be tatters. Pointy tatters.) and I'm going to get approximately 50 dollars out of it in trade with a friend (she wants the can for an art project, and she's going to give me a sketch/drawing in exchange, something which could cost > 50 bucks as a commission).

Also, I save all my 20 oz coke bottles and fill 'em with water.

~GnSx

docfubar
October 14, 2005, 11:16 PM
Bowling pins are great and they hold up for a long time.

Refrigerator with a bottle of tannerite is awesome too.:evil: (yes I clean it up)

Declaration Day
October 14, 2005, 11:19 PM
Mower blades hung from a rope. I own a lawnservice company so I always have plenty of worn out blades. They ring like a gong when you hit them, and will last indefinitely when hit by .22s. My M1 Garand perforates them though.

Zundfolge
October 14, 2005, 11:48 PM
Found the perfect thing

:evil: (http://www.toypresidents.com/view_product_FL.asp?pid=301) <-(click the devil)

Dave R
October 14, 2005, 11:50 PM
For long-range shooting, I like old propane tanks at 200 yards. You can tell when you hit 'em. Clean up after...

And be careful, the impact holes are really sharp.

Hardtarget
October 15, 2005, 12:12 AM
Paint balls were mentioned...tossed up and shot with a BB gun. Or save a bunch of plastic cold drink tops...same fun. Ice cubes...they shatter great with no clean up! I also like the baloons. Hung from a string several feet long and a breezy day...they move around pretty good. The target I use the most are the 2X2 inch stickers we get with material at work. The boss throws them away but I shoot at them. Just a piece of clean cardboard with a sticker in the middle and you've got a workable target...for free.
Mark.

PAC 762
October 15, 2005, 01:30 AM
Found the perfect thing

:evil: (http://www.toypresidents.com/view_product_FL.asp?pid=301) <-(click the devil)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cacique500
October 15, 2005, 11:09 AM
We normally have small sporting clays (~2" diameter), bowling pins, and ping pong balls filled with flour.

I'll have to try the paintball idea...

shermacman
October 15, 2005, 11:16 AM
My friends and I like to take mosquitoes and gnats, pin them to cardboard and shoot their eyes out at 100 yards. Takes a little practice, but we have had a bumper crop of bugs this summer...

mole
October 15, 2005, 02:15 PM
2 liter drink bottles filled with water
soda cans
spinning steel target
AOL cds (get friends and family to save for you)
12 guage hulls (not very interactive but challenging to hit)
bad fruit

Tierhog
October 15, 2005, 03:27 PM
I took a 12 inch nail and welded it to the center of a 8 inch piece of flat metal then welded a 4 inch spring (like on a garage door) on top of that, then a large washer with a 4 inch lag bolt welded on top of that. Then took a bowling pin and screwed it on the lag bolt, pushed the whole thing in the ground and Voila! Home made reseting targets. They wobble but don't fall down. The next one will have a longer spring on it for more wobble action. Bowling pins are cheap, just ask your local bowling alley for the old ones. The rest is just pennies and when the pin is shot up, just screw on a new one.m I am going to make bunches of them, set them out about 50 to 100 yards and fun in the sun all day long with no trips down range to reset targets.:)

Horsesense
October 15, 2005, 10:23 PM
A buddy and I once tossed up an aerosol can (this was a thick can used for gassing tobacco beads) and he shot it with a Mini 14, the bullet entered and created a grove, all the way around the inside of the can and exited out of the same hole it had entered. :what:

We had a "high wall", the kind you get when they strip coal from a mountain as a back drop, and would throw old hubcaps up and let the other shoot it with a .22 auto, it would ring like a bell.

We use to drive the back roads and shoot old refrigerators and junk cars, that people would dump on the side of the road and also, when the river was up, it was like a plinkers paradise with all the junk that would float down riverů. That is until the dad-gone environmentalist started in and stopped all the dumping.:rolleyes:

I know that for some of you, setting in suburbia, its heard to imagine that there are places that shooting in the air or river would be safe but there are places. :neener:

Bluey
October 15, 2005, 10:27 PM
Favorites? Well, rotten eggs are usualy pretty spectacular, even with an air rifle. When they get some pressure up they really go. Old fruit is a good one too.

Rob1035
October 15, 2005, 10:42 PM
I took a 12 inch nail and welded it to the center of a 8 inch piece of flat metal then welded a 4 inch spring (like on a garage door) on top of that, then a large washer with a 4 inch lag bolt welded on top of that. Then took a bowling pin and screwed it on the lag bolt, pushed the whole thing in the ground and Voila! Home made reseting targets. They wobble but don't fall down. The next one will have a longer spring on it for more wobble action. Bowling pins are cheap, just ask your local bowling alley for the old ones. The rest is just pennies and when the pin is shot up, just screw on a new one.m I am going to make bunches of them, set them out about 50 to 100 yards and fun in the sun all day long with no trips down range to reset targets.:)

We (I) need pictures, please.

Berek
October 15, 2005, 10:48 PM
The company I work for make material for another company (owned by the same ppl...) that makes the rubber-like roofing tiles. I get all the rejects I want, but the tiles are almost self healing. I paint them yellow so the hits show up. I hang 3 at a time from a makeshift 2x4 frame. The tiles range from 12"x16" to 18"x22".

I also use water-filled non-returnable plastic bottles and balloons blown up with some baby powder in them (added for effect).

Berek

The Real Hawkeye
October 15, 2005, 10:49 PM
I like a potato on a stick. Really explodes when hit.

Lupinus
October 15, 2005, 11:39 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27986
Help that poor guy use up his inventory with a new customer base

sm
October 15, 2005, 11:50 PM
I'm speaking of the smaller ones.

After the clays, balloons, and fruit - before they get tired (or admit they are).

Set out a moon pie from a box of moon pies they do not know about. Give them a fair distance based on skill level.

You get these rounds I am handing you inside that moon pie, you get the rest of the box.

Now remind the kid of 4 rules. I assure you that kid will NOT let you down, will focus and end up with the rest of the box of moon pies. :D

Downside is, the next visit- "Did you bring more pies this time - that was really FUN!

:D

LawDog
October 16, 2005, 12:14 AM
El Cheapo charcoal briquets. They explode in a nice puff of black dust, and no clean up.

LawDog

Tierhog
October 16, 2005, 04:41 PM
Here's the prototype of the bowling pin stand. I am making newer better ones now. I found a longer spring works better, more wobble per bang!:D

Tierhog
October 16, 2005, 04:43 PM
Yes, those are mushrooms growing on the pin, it rains ALOT here in Forks, Wa. :uhoh:

DontBurnMyFlag
October 16, 2005, 04:47 PM
i dont use anything interesting, but I love seeing R. Lee Ermey tear apart water melons with gunfire :D

docfubar
October 16, 2005, 05:35 PM
I found something new today. A cork core softball. It took alot of hits until my buddy started using his M4. My son thought it was great bouncing around like it did when hit.

kikilee
October 16, 2005, 05:54 PM
Those small cans of tomato sauce. Usually get those 10 for a $1.00. Great visual when hit.
Easy clean up too.
Messy but easy.

BSlacker
October 16, 2005, 06:00 PM
Look for cheap shaving cream cans at the store. Have someone toss them in the air and shoot with a shotgun with small shot size. Just don't leave the van rear door open down wind. :)

chris in va
October 16, 2005, 08:04 PM
I love these threads.

I like to drill a hole at the top of a bowling pin and hang them from trees. They dance nicely with my 9mm carbine and make follow up shots more challenging. If you time it just right on the swing, they'll spin around the limb. I found using some 3-strand wire is easier than rope so you don't have to tie a knot.

I do like that pin spring idea too. And the tomato cans...:D

Crom
October 16, 2005, 09:17 PM
My 5 yr old enjoyed Shooting Ballons for the first time this week with our 10/22 Cheap and Easy to clean up. I blow them up big for my little guy at 25 yards to get him hooked I make them small for me for at 100 yrds with a scope.

Did the same thing with my 2 kids. I would put flour in the balloons. It made a nice effect when they were hit. The kid's loved it.

nfl1990
October 16, 2005, 09:51 PM
i dont use anything interesting, but I love seeing R. Lee Ermey tear apart water melons with gunfire
:D :D :D :D :D

I took a small sheet of plywood and cut out a 8" circle, and screwed a firing strip on the back and then hammered it in the ground, nothing explosive about it, but also no clean up.

brerrabbit
October 16, 2005, 10:38 PM
I kinda like ice. it blows up quite nicely, and leaves very little mess to clean up after.

Get a two liter pop bottle, cut off the top where it starts to narrow. Fill it with water. Bend a piece of wire so that it make a U shape pretty deep in the water with the edges hanging over the sides. Then freeze. Bend the wire back over to make a loop to hang it after it is frozen. Leave it in the sun for a few minutes and the two liter comes off real easy.

My kids like them.:)

Andrew S
October 17, 2005, 11:44 AM
My last trip I took out a box of ~3" tiles and had a great time blasting them apart. Unfortunately they were a pain to clean up.

I have 2 old bowling balls sitting here that I got from Savers for like $3 each. I imagine it will be worth the cleanup time.

I normally just bring some scrap wood and pick up whatever I see dumped on the way. A lot of dumping goes on in that area unfortunately. Cinder blocks/bricks are pretty easy to find around there and are a blast to shoot.

MikeJackmin
October 18, 2005, 09:06 PM
Cinder blocks are awesome. Just keep shooting the pieces until there is nothing left but sand.

Those little fist-sized chunks can just be laid in the dirt of the backstop, where they will explode nicely when hit with rifle fire. It's also fun to use a .22 semiauto to slowly chew a hole through a fresh block.

I find I do a lot of shooting now with those colabri primer-powered .22 loads. They are only about as powerful as a good airgun. I live in a rural area, so it's safe to shoot these things in any direction, even up. With these rounds, anything is a target - pine cones, berries, leaves floating on the pond, things you'd never dare shoot with a regular .22 rifle. A good steel can on a string will last forever, and ring each time you hit it.

Biker
October 18, 2005, 09:57 PM
MikeJackmin
I'm not familiar with these 'colabri' loads. Are they quiet? Expensive? Thanks in advance.
Biker

Kar-el
October 18, 2005, 10:59 PM
Biker, Aguila (of mexico) makes two types of Colibri rounds for the .22.

The Colibri fires a 20 grain bullet at ~350 fps and the Super Colibri fires a 20 grain bullet a ~500 fps.

The colibri is very quiet, and sometimes barely goes through a can. the super will make your ears ring from a handgun but is much more stout-it will drop a bird or chipmunk.

I use the colibri to shoot inside with my boys using a Bearcat or an old High Standard Revolver.

Kar-el

stevelyn
October 18, 2005, 11:13 PM
My favorite tagets are steel plates that I had welded onto 4' lengths of channel iron to jam into the ground. I kinda ruined one by shooting it with my .54 GPR. The steel has held up, but the divits make it a little unsafe for close-in pistol shooting.

I too am a Colibri/Super Colibri shooter. I have several cans stuck on an alder bush behind my house that I shoot from my bedroom.

I also have a damaged oak drawer in my kitchen where the Supers finally chewed through my plywood backstop and hit my oak cabinets.:o The good news is the damaged area is still a very tight group.:D

Geno
October 19, 2005, 07:23 AM
I took a pumpkin that weighed about 20 pounds. Using a pearing knife, I cut a VERY tiny hole, not to exceed about .5 of an inch. Taking my time, I completely fill the pumpkin's interior with water...simple H2O. Next, I replace the plug and pushed a toothpick through to help keep it sealed.

I took my favorite .338 Win. Mag. handloads (a 200 grain, Speer Hot Core loaded with Acurate Arms 3100 powder and a Fed. 215 primer, producing a sizzling 3171 F.P.S.). THAT IS ONE HOT LOAD! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE!

I zeroed my scope for 25 yards or 100 yards (same general point of impact). I set the water-laiden pumkin at 25 yards and drew a nice X about 2/3 the way down, and dead-center.

We all saw nothing but orange pulp when I fired. It rained orange for some time.

I've often been tempted to try this with a .378 Wea, loaded with sizzling 235 grain loads. :) :what:

Doc2005

Vitamin G
October 19, 2005, 01:56 PM
Free AOL CD's
Paintballs
Other people's shotgun shells.

Finch
October 20, 2005, 12:37 AM
After holloween there will be a great sale on pumpkins, I've seen 5 for a dollar. We have good times with that. Then after Christmas, those Christmas tree bulb ornaments go on sale for around 70-90% off. Those are great targets, and for easy cleanup, just throw a big tarp below your shooting area.

Satch
October 20, 2005, 11:32 AM
Styrofoam dinner plates,with the bowl side facing you with a 2 in square of duct tape to aim at. The bowl shape of the plate will show a "hit" almost like a shoot-n-see target.

EmGeeGeorge
November 21, 2005, 01:03 PM
toasters with magnesium coils, in the rain...:)

Dr.Rob
November 21, 2005, 03:03 PM
for the youngsters in the backyard...

Animal Crackers!

Lion hunting with a bb gun has never been more exciting!

Really.

Birds/squirrels handle the biodegradable clean-up, you can have a bit of fun with an Audobon guide and the young ones afterwards seeing what comes to eat the animal crackers.

If you lay down a good canvas tarp as a backstop/trap you can collect most of your bb's too.

Pop cans are still a favorite with the 22's and bowling pins for the centerfires... as always, pack out your trash. I can't tell you how much fun we had as kids making pop cans dance with a .22... they can be quite the fun 'reactive' target.

cmidkiff
November 21, 2005, 03:52 PM
I use Ritz crackers and potatoes. Bio-degradeable :)

Mad Chemist
November 21, 2005, 03:59 PM
+1 on the spent 12ga shells. These were fun and easy to hit from my mkII 22/45. I wish I was that accurate with my .44.

pytron
November 22, 2005, 07:07 PM
From the archive, quoting myself:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=49132

Biodegradable targets:
Ice, suspended
Fruit, leftovers from grocery store or excess droppings from trees
Tortillas
Eggs (either left over from Easter or just extras)
Candy - leftovers from Easter, Valentines, Halloween
Necco wafers
Vanilla wafers
Saltine crackers

Targets that will take a beating:
Tennis balls suspended
Propane tanks (empty) suspended
Pots and pans destined for garbage, suspended
Bowling pins

Targets that are cool but require cleanup:
Balloons, air filled
Balloons, water filled
Balloons, ice filled
Playing cards
Bright colored post-its
Empty 12-gauge shells suspended by floss
AOL CDs

DeputyVaughn
November 22, 2005, 07:42 PM
I like to shoot at those darn "kid's meal" toys that my kids bring home and leave all over the house. "Dad have you seen my spongebob toy??????" "Not since yesterday honey........"

Scott

lawson
November 22, 2005, 08:07 PM
a buddy of mine is a butcher, and once he was left with 8 smoked country hams destined for the garbage. we used them to test hollowpoint expansion :D

garyk/nm
November 22, 2005, 09:52 PM
Zundfolge, you be SO bad!
ROFL!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Improvised Plinking Targets, lets hear what you use" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!