PDA

Yohan
March 30, 2003, 02:45 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/29/1048653901384.htm
Police to reload with 10 million rounds
By John Kidman
March 30 2003
The Sun-Herald

NSW Police are preparing to order the equivalent of 10 million rounds of ammunition - enough to keep our police loaded for the next three years.

With each of the state's 14,000 officers expected to fire off a minimum of 15 shots annually, the massive requisition includes more than 600,000 .40 calibre cartridges to supply the service's standard-issue Glock sidearm.

An estimated 180,000 rounds for use with Heckler & Koch submachine-guns are also on order for the service's elite tactical response and counter-terrorist squads.

More than 200,000 high-velocity rifle bullets will be purchased for the service's sharpshooters to use both in emergency situations and on the training range.

And about the same number of 12-gauge shells will be needed to pack the pump-action shotguns carried by special protection group operatives during dangerous raids and sieges.

However, the bulk of the arsenal will be made up of components that will be used by in-house ballistics experts to assemble target practice rounds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk about piling up ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Feanaro
March 30, 2003, 02:47 AM
I wish I could buy that much. ;)

March 30, 2003, 02:56 AM
each of the state's 14,000 officers expected to fire off a minimum of 15 shots annually

Airwolf
March 30, 2003, 03:43 AM
15 rounds a year?!?! WTH!

That's stupid beyond words. If I could only do 15 live rounds a year I'd get rid of all my guns because I wouldn't consider myself qualified to touch them.

Yet they let cops on the street carry even though they've only shot 15 rounds in the past year. Insanity of the highest order.

Given the anti-gun hysteria down there and the fact that many cops don't seem to be intrested in firearms it's not like they are going to be spending their own time on the range to make up the shortfall.

Bruce in West Oz
March 30, 2003, 04:31 AM
My brother (police officer) managed to "evade" his qualifying shoot for three years. When forced to go to the range, he found his service revolver had "frozen" in its holster and had to be removed by the armourer!

While many coppers here are keen shooters and take pride in their skills, others couldn't give a damn, and a sad and sorry number hate firearms -- even their own!

Bruce

Feanaro
March 30, 2003, 04:51 AM
I'm not sure people who dislike firearms, who won't PRACTICE with them should be on the force. I don't know why they would join in the first place. :confused:

Coronach
March 30, 2003, 11:06 AM
This sounds more like a state-mandated minimum. NOT a state-mandated maximum.

We are required to do state qual once per year, a 60 round course. So, you could state (accurately) that we are required to shoot 60 rounds per year. Of course, this would ignore our 3 other trips to the range and the other few hundred rounds we shot on state qual day.

Mike

Redlg155
March 30, 2003, 11:17 AM
I don't know why they would join in the first place.

Money and benefits. Sometimes it's one of the better paying jobs out there in some areas. It's even worse in Corrections.

That's a lot of rounds to reload. Probably doing it all on a Lee handloader. :D

Good SHooting
RED

If you enjoyed reading about "Talk about piling up ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!