How much ammo do you all keep on hand?

PDA

Exposure
October 14, 2005, 09:13 PM
I am just kind of curious if I am in the minority with keeping a fair amount of ammo on hand. I have about 20,000 rounds here in the house right now. It just seems like every day there is a new flier in the mail with a great deal, or some internet site with a sale going that I just can't pass up! Anyone else have this affliction?

If you enjoyed reading about "How much ammo do you all keep on hand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alpineman
October 14, 2005, 09:22 PM
Zoiks! For one thing, I don't think I could afford that much ammo at any one time. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I tend to use it up regularly...

Really, though ... I buy by the thousand because everything's cheaper in bulk. I don't think I've ever had more than a couple thousand all together at one time, though.

Right now I'm down to about 500 each of 9mm, .45 and .223. I've probably got 1500 .22, if that counts.

Ed
October 14, 2005, 09:24 PM
I somewhere seem to have misplaced about 1500 rnds of XM193. I must have hid it to well. Just figured this out today.:banghead:

Standing Wolf
October 14, 2005, 09:24 PM
I like to keep enough rim fire ammunition to last at least a couple months. I figure it's a good idea to keep at least 500 rounds on hand for every center fire gun.

HighVelocity
October 14, 2005, 09:25 PM
I haven't counted it all lately but I think there's a lot. :uhoh:

MachIVshooter
October 14, 2005, 09:32 PM
Usually between 7,000 and 10,000 rounds, spread over a couple dozen different calibers.

Dionysusigma
October 14, 2005, 09:40 PM
6.5x55 Swede: 40
.32 ACP: 45
.223: 80
7.62x54R: 35

;) and now, for the guns I actually own:

7.62x39mm: 960
.22 LR: Between 200 and 1,000
.380 ACP: 20 :scrutiny:
.40 S&W: 0 :uhoh:

I need more pistol ammo, I think. More useful pistol ammo. :banghead:

dakotasin
October 14, 2005, 09:45 PM
i don't know for sure how much i have.

i load my own, and i load in batches of 500. if i had to guess, i would say that 20,000 rounds at any given time is probably the average.

i don't shoot 22 lr's, so whatever 22 stuff i have isn't in the count.

CB900F
October 14, 2005, 09:46 PM
Exposure & Fella's;

I carefully avoid 'arsenal' status. And am not particularly interested in helping anybody define the term either. In other words, are you sure that Schurmer, et al, won't be introducing legislation shortly defining an arsenal as anyone who has over 100 rounds of ammunition? Or, pick the low figure of your choice.

900F

Jake
October 14, 2005, 09:51 PM
Rifle=

40 rds 30-30 Win
1000 rds 7.62x39mm

Shottie=

40 rds 12 gauge (mix of buckshot and slugs)

Pistol=

40 rds 50 AE
250 rds 9mm
75 rds .45 ACP
600 rds .22 lr

I also have some 7.62x54R and .223 floating around here that I don't have any guns for yet. I really need to stock up on pistol ammo.

Declaration Day
October 14, 2005, 09:52 PM
1000 rds of .30-06
500+ rds of .45
500+ rds of 9mm
3000+ rds of .22lr
100-200 rds of .380

Those numbers fluctuate, depending on what I find on sale and when.

shermacman
October 14, 2005, 09:57 PM
The Boston Globe would have a headline here...

I have 5000 rounds of .30/06 for my M1.
At least that much in 12 gauge trap rounds.
More than that in .22lr bulk packs.
Many hundreds of .40 and 9mm and .357 and .38's
Running low on 5.56 for the AR prolly down to my last 900 rounds.

neoncowboy
October 14, 2005, 10:04 PM
I keep around 1000rds each of .45 and .223 onhand...and about 5000 rds worth of primers, bullets, powder and brass.

The Real Hawkeye
October 14, 2005, 10:14 PM
About this much.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/member_images//606088-AmmoOnHand3.JPG

Gewehr98
October 14, 2005, 10:38 PM
This is a commonly-repeated thread. Use the search function, here's the last time it was resurrected:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=144629

My answer's in that thread. ;)

karlsgunbunker
October 14, 2005, 10:39 PM
More than I need and Less than I want. :neener:

Graystar
October 14, 2005, 10:40 PM
I got around 5000 rounds sitting around.

I really need to shoot more!

JohnKSa
October 14, 2005, 11:06 PM
are you sure that Schurmer, et al, won't be introducing legislation shortly defining an arsenal as anyone who has over 100 rounds of ammunitionNo, but I am pretty sure that if such a law passes, it will be accompanied by very restrictive ammo purchase laws. And I'll be really happy that I bought mine before the restrictions went into effect. ;)

DMK
October 14, 2005, 11:27 PM
I've got a bunch. Probably more 7.62x54R than I can shoot in a lifetime(close to 10k), Maybe 7 or 8K of 7.62x51 and at least a dozen 50 cal ammo cans filled to the rim with 22LR, 12gauge and pistol ammo of various calibers.

Since 5.56 and 7.62x39 seem to be getting hard to get lately, I'm really glad I've got enough of those stocked up to get me through a couple years of dry spell if necessary. Wish I had more of those though. Need to shoot the SKSes and ARs less and shoot the Mosins more.

Jubei
October 14, 2005, 11:37 PM
Probably around 12,000 total across 10 calibers.

The stuff weighs a freakin' ton.

Jubei

PaladinX13
October 14, 2005, 11:57 PM
I just took inventory, I've got exactly 5,019 rounds of ammunition on hand... hmm, time to buy more.

bpisler
October 15, 2005, 12:09 AM
I live in a apt so my round count
is pretty low.I keep a box of my
carry ammo for each pistol plus
various reloads.Right now i have
250 various handgun rounds plus a
100 for the shotguns.I also have
1500 22lr's for my wifes pistol.

Tory
October 15, 2005, 12:09 AM
1. I'd have to actually count it; then

2. I'd have to kill you.

I'd rather not do either.......;)

Hardtarget
October 15, 2005, 12:21 AM
I can only say I have enough to go shooting. More pistol ammo than rifle and more .22 than all the other stuff combined. I have some stuff for guns I don't own yet...but not much.
Mark. ...kind of an ambiguous answer, isn't it? :D

NMshooter
October 15, 2005, 12:31 AM
Less than I really want.

More than I could ever carry...:evil:

Preacherman
October 15, 2005, 12:33 AM
Does this answer your question? :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?postid=903331

Cliff
October 15, 2005, 04:26 AM
http://www.fototime.com/{91EE6E30-2FAC-474D-8D5B-4F17B7FBAF9D}/picture.JPG

When the killer mutant flesh-eating zombies come for a social call, I have two construction boxes one for rifle ammo,the other for pistol ammo that i can greet them at the door with.:evil: :D Both are full...

ReadyontheRight
October 15, 2005, 05:09 AM
So do you guys measure it in "Rounds" or "Square feet"? :)

Father Knows Best
October 15, 2005, 06:15 AM
It varies, as I buy large lots when I spot a good deal. The large quantities I have on hand right now are:

1,200 .30-06
2,700 7.62x51
2,100 7.62x39
800 .30 carbine
650 .45ACP
900 .22LR

I probably have about 500 12 gauge shotshells loaded up, but that's way below normal because we're at the end of the season. I have nearly 5,000 hulls waiting to be reloaded over the winter, and all the components are already on hand (o.k., I have enough wads and an unopened 5000 count case of primers, but I'll probably need to buy more shot).

I reload various .44 pistol calibers (.44-40 and .44 special mostly), and have components for around 5,000 rounds on hand, but again not a whole lot actually loaded up right now. That'll change by springtime.

Then I have small quantities (50-200 rounds each) of probably a half dozen other cartridges, including 9 mm, .380 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, etc.

Oldtimer
October 15, 2005, 09:19 AM
Hey, people! Whatever amount of ammo that you have on-hand, just like how many firearms you own, should be YOUR business ONLY! Why? Well, because the day may come when possession of massive quantities of ammo and firearms makes you a "target" for either legal OR illegal purposes! The anti-gun idiots in government have already been nudging at having such things as "arsenal" permits and "arsenal" taxes imposed on legal gun/ammo owners!

A local newspaper reported that a "HUGE amount of loaded ammo was confiscated from a residence". That "HUGE" amount was less than 2,000 rounds!
The news media also likes to use hysteria-based words such as "VAST quantity", and I doubt if they'd mind saying that your sizeable amount of ammo on-hand was "enough to supply a small army"!
I'm sure you already know that they jump to conclusions about firearms....calling them "machineguns", "assault weapons", "military-styled weapons", etc. The .50 BMG ammo and firearms have gotten a LOT of news coverage, and I'm waiting to see when a news reporter calls it "nuclear"! Add to that, a certain female "representative" in government, when talking about .50 BMG incendiary rounds, said that it had "heat-seeking" bullets!

Uh, for you Hillary Rodham fans, the word is that she's still holding the legislative drafts that the late Senator Patrick Moynihan had authored, which would impose a 10,000% increase of the federal taxes on loaded ammunition. Add to that, there have already been attempts to legislate 5-cents and 10-cents per ROUND taxes on loaded ammo! A box of 50 rounds of .22LR COULD end up costing you a weeks pay, if the anti-gun idiots get their wishes!

By the way, I happen to have "X" amount of ammo on hand right now, and own "X" amount of firearms. That's all you TOTAL STRANGERS need to know!

Oldtimer
October 15, 2005, 09:43 AM
I almost forgot to mention the ILLEGAL aspect of having someone else know how much ammo/firearms you own.

Several years ago, a female employee of the California Department of Justice was printing out computer runs of firearms owners. She was taking those print-outs to her boyfriend, who was a gang member AND a professional burglar. After several residential burglaries took place, with the victims being owners of numerous firearms, a pattern started to show. I don't recall what police agency was involved, but it was a good thing that they noticed that pattern of burglaries and DID something about it! The boyfriend was eventually captured, along with several of his gang member buddies, and the majority of the stolen firearms were retrieved....along with the print-outs that directed the investigation toward the DOJ employee girlfriend. She, too, was arrested!

I've been an avid shooter for 50+ years, and have been AGAINST all of the "bureaucratic" regulations for the registration of firearms for many, many years. Who NEEDS to know what I own, unless I violate some sort of law? The incident with the California State DOJ employee was CLEARLY due to the dishonesty of a TOTAL STRANGER who had access to gun registration documents!

Lastly, if you haven't seen the movie "Red Dawn", I suggest that you either rent or buy it.....and pay special attention to when the commanding officer of the invasion forces orders one of his subordinates to find all of the "Form 4473" documents at the local gun stores. If Hollywood has done its "homework" in finding out the actual gun registration forms, then you can bet that our "enemies" would know what to look for, in case we are actually invaded! More close to home, if a gun store was burglarized, those forms would be quite valuable for "home invasion" situations!

Our own laws and regulations just MIGHT be used against us in the future!

The Real Hawkeye
October 15, 2005, 09:48 AM
Hey, people! Whatever amount of ammo that you have on-hand, just like how many firearms you own, should be YOUR business ONLY! Why? Well, because the day may come when possession of massive quantities of ammo and firearms makes you a "target" for either legal OR illegal purposes! The anti-gun idiots in government have already been nudging at having such things as "arsenal" permits and "arsenal" taxes imposed on legal gun/ammo owners!

A local newspaper reported that a "HUGE amount of loaded ammo was confiscated from a residence". That "HUGE" amount was less than 2,000 rounds!
The news media also likes to use hysteria-based words such as "VAST quantity", and I doubt if they'd mind saying that your sizeable amount of ammo on-hand was "enough to supply a small army"!
I'm sure you already know that they jump to conclusions about firearms....calling them "machineguns", "assault weapons", "military-styled weapons", etc. The .50 BMG ammo and firearms have gotten a LOT of news coverage, and I'm waiting to see when a news reporter calls it "nuclear"! Add to that, a certain female "representative" in government, when talking about .50 BMG incendiary rounds, said that it had "heat-seeking" bullets!

Uh, for you Hillary Rodham fans, the word is that she's still holding the legislative drafts that the late Senator Patrick Moynihan had authored, which would impose a 10,000% increase of the federal taxes on loaded ammunition. Add to that, there have already been attempts to legislate 5-cents and 10-cents per ROUND taxes on loaded ammo! A box of 50 rounds of .22LR COULD end up costing you a weeks pay, if the anti-gun idiots get their wishes!

By the way, I happen to have "X" amount of ammo on hand right now, and own "X" amount of firearms. That's all you TOTAL STRANGERS need to know!I believe in being proud of exercising our rightful liberties. As soon as we feel the need to hide the right to exercise them, then we will lose them.

Third_Rail
October 15, 2005, 09:49 AM
I'm about half-way to where I want to be. My bank account couldn't take anymore! :D

Alex45ACP
October 15, 2005, 10:04 AM

:what:

Sweet! :D

garrett1955
October 15, 2005, 10:10 AM

WOW you sir are the man!!!!

Cacique500
October 15, 2005, 10:59 AM
I am pretty sure that if such a law passes, it will be accompanied by very restrictive ammo purchase laws. And I'll be really happy that I bought mine before the restrictions went into effect.

I've got enough now that I'm seriously worried about the floor area that it's stacked on! ;)

Mastrogiacomo
October 15, 2005, 11:08 AM
I envy you people. I have maybe 5 boxes of .22, one box of Federal personal protection for the 9mm and other for the .38 - that's it. :( Where do you get all the money for this ammo? I tend to spend what I have either fixing up my guns or buying more.

rick_reno
October 15, 2005, 11:10 AM
I've got a box and half of 12 ga shotgun shells, 400 rounds of 22 (8 boxes) and 16 30-06 rounds. With 3 guns and no money, I don't have to keep much ammo on hand and there are 4 stores in town that sell it so it's easy to replace.

beaucoup ammo
October 15, 2005, 11:18 AM
That's about to change however. Anyone know the shelf life of (as an example) .357 and 9mm? I'd want them functional when I needed them.

Take Care

Stickjockey
October 15, 2005, 11:46 AM
Not sure off the top of my head, but I'm workng towards 1,000 rounds per caliber, per gun.

Medusa
October 15, 2005, 12:03 PM
50x SS190
50x SS192
around a couple of hundred of 9x19 ammo
AND undisclosed amount of 5.56x45mm FMJ

Gewehr98
October 15, 2005, 12:09 PM
For a few reasons:

1. They ain't gonna carry all 10,000+ rounds of ammo out in one trip.

http://mauser98.com/safeammo2.jpg

2. They gotta get through the built-in alarm system(s).

http://mauser98.com/quinn1.jpg

3. They gotta get through the home defenses after the alarm goes off.

http://mauser98.com/870-3.jpg

4. That's assuming I posted "Come to 123 Sunny Lane, Anywhere, USA for your free surprise!" somewhere in conjunction with the ammo pics...

Hobie
October 15, 2005, 02:57 PM
To answer the topic question, NOT ENOUGH! ;)

Kurush
October 15, 2005, 04:44 PM
Less than Preacherman ;)

Speaking of zombies, did anyone else think it was really strange in the movie Dawn of the Dead that the supposedly crack shot gun store owner ran out of ammo? At 20-50 yards with a scoped rifle even my relatively minor ammo reserve would have been enough to make a 5' thick zombie-pack on the parking lot before I ran out.

Father Knows Best
October 15, 2005, 05:29 PM
Hey, people! Whatever amount of ammo that you have on-hand, just like how many firearms you own, should be YOUR business ONLY! Why? Well, because the day may come when possession of massive quantities of ammo and firearms makes you a "target" for either legal OR illegal purposes![SNIP]

Table for "Paranoid"; party of one....

If you don't want to disclose what you have or how much of it, that's your business. The rest of us can do our own risk analysis, thank you.

crew590
October 15, 2005, 06:05 PM
I agree with everyone who said "not enough". Currently I have

.22lr ~900 rnds
12 ga.
~150 rnds #8
~40 rnds 00 buck
~20 slugs
7.62x39 ~240 rnds all on strippers ( Need an SKS though if anyone wants to donate one :neener: )

So yeah, like I said not enough. :(

tango3065
October 15, 2005, 06:17 PM
I wonder what the shelf life of ammo is also in a climate controled dry enviroment?

solareclipse
October 15, 2005, 07:51 PM
not enough going by what you all have. no fear, i am working on it.

Amish_Bill
October 15, 2005, 09:17 PM
darn - only 4400 practice 9mm. :-(

CAPTAIN MIKE
October 15, 2005, 09:43 PM
I have about 20,000 rounds here in the house right now.

Yeah, that's about right for the USPSA 3-Gun Nationals, going on thisweekend in Las Vegas. You're "good to go" trooper.:cool:

Exposure
October 15, 2005, 10:52 PM
Thanks for replies everyone! :D

I was afraid I was the only one afflicted with 'ammoitis". Well I mean in addition to 'firearmitis' that is!

To those worried about stating what you have for firearms and ammunition: as of right now this is still a free country with the second amendment in full effect. I have nothing to hide from anyone, if the media gets wind of what I have and wants to make an issue of it then so be it, they can kiss my ass. U.S. law says what I am in posession of is perfectly legal, as I am a law abiding citizen I have nothing to hide or fear.

Freedspeak
October 16, 2005, 12:17 AM
Not really sure of the totals in individual callibers, but better than 50K.

Taurus 66
October 16, 2005, 12:28 AM
Hey, people! Whatever amount of ammo that you have on-hand, just like how many firearms you own, should be YOUR business ONLY!

What people say on here is not an accurate count of guns or ammunition, and they make it that way on purpose. It's not intended to be such. Many High Roaders are already 2 steps ahead of such a question being asked. If you were to ask me personally how much ammunition, I'd tell you "zero", "zip", "nada", but that's me. Some here will only give away a quarter or half their inventory list.

I envy you people. I have maybe 5 boxes of .22, one box of Federal personal protection for the 9mm and other for the .38 - that's it. Where do you get all the money for this ammo? I tend to spend what I have either fixing up my guns or buying more.

Ammunition is saved up over a lengthy period of time. Since ammo can easily out-live you (even if you're in your 20s), it is beneficial to buy a little here and there ... just stash and store it for a long time. I make it a point to purchase 2 boxes of whatever caliber each paycheck. I don't shoot as much as I used to, so the incoming is greater than the outgoing.

Then there's reloading ;)

iamkris
October 16, 2005, 12:34 AM
Around 10K loaded for all my calibers (around 14) and reloading components for another 5K.

Myself
October 16, 2005, 01:34 AM
I will have to do an invertory someday. I would guess more than Preacherman though not so neetly organized.

WmMackee
October 16, 2005, 09:25 AM
:cool: If you know how much you have, then you don't have enough! As Forest Gump says, "That's all I have to say about that!".

The Real Hawkeye
October 16, 2005, 09:44 AM
I have enough that if I packed them all in my car, my tires would be scraping against my car as I drove. This is not speculation.

beaucoup ammo
October 16, 2005, 10:58 AM
"At the end of the day, the crux of the issue is more philosophical than cinematic: Tolkien has far less confidence in human potential and the power of purely human fellowship than does Jackson. And why not?"..some guy I Googled up,,forgot his name!

Take Care ?

biere
October 16, 2005, 12:10 PM
A search for ammo storage will turn up the best ways to store ammo, and ammo will outlast you if store properly.

I rather liked that table for one comment.

As for how much I have, I have posted in the past about finding a case of 9mm or 223 under the bed in my guest room since I don't often go in there and hardly ever check under the bed.

I recomend you get it now while it is cheap. If you research cost of metal for the past couple years you will see it has been going up in price and with diesel now up in price I expect prices to continue going up for a bit before they once again hold still for a while.

I personally think I am going to make a new end table this winter. I think 4 or 5 cases of 308 surplus in the wooden crates will be the right height, and it won't fall apart like my current end table. I might even order some extra for a foot rest. The real goal would be a coffee table size stack though.

For those worried about how that looks, cover it with some fabric.

The Real Hawkeye
October 16, 2005, 12:22 PM
A search for ammo storage will turn up the best ways to store ammo, and ammo will outlast you if store properly.

I rather liked that table for one comment.

As for how much I have, I have posted in the past about finding a case of 9mm or 223 under the bed in my guest room since I don't often go in there and hardly ever check under the bed.

I recomend you get it now while it is cheap. If you research cost of metal for the past couple years you will see it has been going up in price and with diesel now up in price I expect prices to continue going up for a bit before they once again hold still for a while.

I personally think I am going to make a new end table this winter. I think 4 or 5 cases of 308 surplus in the wooden crates will be the right height, and it won't fall apart like my current end table. I might even order some extra for a foot rest. The real goal would be a coffee table size stack though.

For those worried about how that looks, cover it with some fabric.You are quite mad, you know.

Amish_Bill
October 16, 2005, 12:25 PM
Whadda ya mean? I was just getting inspired by the idea of 'functional furniture'... :evil:

beaucoup ammo
October 16, 2005, 12:31 PM
I agree. We always head to Sam's and buy in bulk. I'm going to apply that to ammunition as well..buying up all I can and hoarding.

With proper care, my weapons should more than outlast me as well. S&W .357 65-3 and KAHR P9 both well made. With the addition of a Ruger Rancher Mini-14, I should be in good shape.

Take Care

Gewehr98
October 16, 2005, 01:25 PM
I was thinking about reorganizing my reloading room. Those 28 ammo cans in the picture could make a nice sleeping platform with a foam pad on top! :D

BHPshooter
October 16, 2005, 02:15 PM
I've only stocked up on 9mm -- I have 1,000 124-grain Speer Gold Dots, and 300 rounds of Winchester and PMC 124-gr FMJ.

Now that I have a .45, I need to get the ball rolling with that one, too.:uhoh: :rolleyes:

Wes

Mannlicher
October 16, 2005, 08:28 PM
moi? Just a round or so per gun :)

JeepDriver
October 16, 2005, 08:34 PM
http://www.fototime.com/DD97D7066CF7428/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B514AFAF2E4E28C/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/F77EB5ECCE3E37D/standard.jpg

I guess that's about 40,000 rounds of 223, 308, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 357 Sig, 12 ga and 22lr

biere
October 16, 2005, 09:33 PM
You are quite mad, you know.

You say that like it might not be a good thing. :scrutiny:

I figure it is the flip side of what preacherman did.

He spent money on a cabinet and some shelves to hold his ammo. I want to spend money on ammo and use it to hold stuff. The end table holds the tv remote and my beer can, the foot rest holds my feet.

One recomendation for the person who said something about using ammo cans for a bed frame, cut some plywood or something to place over the amme cans. And this applies for any other furniture that needs a flat surface.

The little bumps are noticable unless you are using something thick for a mattress pad, and I don't like much padding so I recomend the plywood topper to take care of the ammo can handle bumps.

I personally think I got a better response on a decluttering site I post on since I was able to get rid of furniture and keep what I consider to be useful stuff. But those folks don't even like guns much, so the ammo thing got blown all out of proportion. :D

Gewehr98
October 16, 2005, 10:47 PM
Is that steel-cased Wolf .223 in the crate?

(Is that really considered ammo, or just a lot of opportunities to booger up/jam a rifle in waiting?) :eek:

XLMiguel
October 16, 2005, 11:15 PM
I usta think I had almost enough, but after seeing some of these pics . . . . :uhoh:

Amish_Bill
October 17, 2005, 12:14 AM
Is that steel-cased Wolf .223 in the crate?

(Is that really considered ammo, or just a lot of opportunities to booger up/jam a rifle in waiting?) :eek:

I've never heard of Wolf in a wodden crate. Retrofit? What kind of box is it htat fits so well?

Cosmoline
October 17, 2005, 12:24 AM
Enough to qualify me as having an "arsenal" if I ever get raided :D

Amish_Bill
October 17, 2005, 12:26 AM
Enough to qualify me as having an "arsenal" if I ever get raided :D

In some places that's less than we burn off in a single range trip, isn't it? :D

geekWithA.45
October 17, 2005, 12:40 AM
Uh, lemme think.

More than a little, less than preacherman. ;)

el44vaquero
October 17, 2005, 01:38 AM
I keep around 500 rounds of 30-30. On the ranch here I keep a Marlin or a Winchester behind the truck seat for all practical purposes.

Then usually 500 rounds of .38 special.

Boxes and boxes of .22lr

jwmoore
October 17, 2005, 02:26 PM
Not enough...

.223 510
12 ga 250
9mm 1385
Total 2145

RavenVT100
October 17, 2005, 02:34 PM
Table for "Paranoid"; party of one....

If you don't want to disclose what you have or how much of it, that's your business. The rest of us can do our own risk analysis, thank you.
Make that "two," sir. And extra foil please.

:cool:

Rock45
October 17, 2005, 03:50 PM
Well, I've only been shooting for about 4 years now...I figure I've got more than my 2500HD can carry! I could sure use another 10 or so ammo cans for long term storage!

Most of mine is in 223, 9mm, and 45acp. I spent about two winters reloading alot, and buying by the case everytime I saw a bargain!

I am currently NOT buying any more ammo till I build another building to house it...I'm thinking concrete and steel...Hmmm

Bryan

Lonestar.45
October 17, 2005, 04:59 PM
It's always a delicate balance for me on what to spend $ on, and a continous cycle. Guns? Ammo? Safe(s)? Accessories?

I just hate it when I go buy a gun in a new caliber that I don't already have ammo for. That means I gotta go buy a new caliber ammo, then accessories, etc. I should just stick to SKS's, AK's, and Mosins, that's what I have the most ammo for. Is this a great country or what?

salem shooter
October 17, 2005, 05:34 PM
Lets just say in the last 6 or so years, reading all the heads up bargins you guys have posted on the various gun boards, my Ammo (and mags) supilies are up there! Buy when its a bargin and it does add up...

jamz
October 17, 2005, 07:09 PM
My goal is 1000 rounds per caliber as a base. So far, Ive got that or more in 5.56, .38 special, and real close in 9mm. Then a random smattering of a few hundred each in .45 acp, 7.62x54r, .357, a couple boxes of .380, shotgun shells, etc.

I have an ammo safe that I can't fit anything else in (it's smallish).

Then I have brass and lead for a lot more .38 special, and some 45 ACp.

So not as much as a lot of you.

-James

Turtle Club
October 18, 2005, 12:27 AM
I would like to thank everyone that has posted on this thread. Everyone has made my day. My fiance yells at me because I keep 2,000 9mm & 1,200 .40 rounds on standby with about 100rounds of 9mm in magazines and about 200 .40 in magazines. You never know when you will need 20-30 fully loaded magazines in you house just incase anarcy breaks out. Come to think of it....I may need to invest in a few more mags and load them up to. But yet I have absolutly no shotgun and rifle ammo at all :banghead: . Anyway I showed her this thread about 10mins ago and she saw that some people have more than 10,000 rounds, we I am no longer looked at as being excessive with my 3,300 rounds. :D In my opinion, you can never have too much ammo. I must say my dream is to have a small walk in closet aboout 5'wide x 15'long with nothing but a sh**load of guns and ammo. Just like in the Terminator 2. But, I guess since I only have 2 handguns and 4 longbarels I have a long way to go....Maybe someday. :rolleyes:

Taurus 66
October 18, 2005, 01:12 AM
My fiance yells at me because I keep 2,000 9mm & 1,200 .40 rounds on standby with about 100rounds of 9mm in magazines and about 200 .40 in magazines.

Anyway I showed her this thread about 10mins ago and she saw that some people have more than 10,000 rounds

Wellhellhell!!! Now you know why she's angry (palm your forehead after reading this). It's because you have too little ammo. You better think seriously about joining the 10k club, or she's going to dump you. If you truly love her, you will do the right thing. :evil:

Amish_Bill
October 18, 2005, 02:04 AM
Show her this and you'll never hear a peep again.

... well... at least until you start building your own...

Nematocyst
October 18, 2005, 03:34 AM
Geez. Suddenly, I feel so inadequate. :(

Obviously, it's time to consider adding a few extra rounds.

OK, question 1: I've read all the posts, including several who speak of "buying in bulk".
The last time I bought any thing in 'bulk', it was granola, lentels & peanuts at the local food coop.

Not to be too naive (even if the # of posts by my name gives that away), how does one buy ammo "in bulk"?

<picturing a large bin of 9 mm 125 gr cartridges with a nearby roll of plastic bags, right next to the 12 ga. shells>

Question 2: if SHTF and bug out is desirable, what do stockpilers with more than 5K rnds do with all of it? Load it in the van and take off?

"Well, sergeant, I'm actually just the person elected by my friends to carry this to a meeting of gun enthusiasts in the next county."

Guess my strategy (small # of rnds) is shaped by my backpacking days: travel light, travel fast, shoot only when necessary & do so accurately.

Nem

PCGS65
October 18, 2005, 05:19 AM
OK preacherman and jeepdriver you guys are my heroes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:uhoh:

MaMa PyCb
October 18, 2005, 06:05 AM
Ive got .. (aprox.)

780 8mm mauser
480 7.62x54r
1000 .303 Brit
1200 of 7.62x39
50 7.5 swiss ( real low... need more....)
2000 .22lr S&b match
250 9x18 MAK

so I got enough to handle the First wave of the inpending Zombie disaster, As long as the nuclear chickens dont get here first.:neener:

Mr Jody Hudson
October 18, 2005, 07:12 AM
Great Start Preacher and Jeep...:D

Most of mine is organized and stored away but some is still awaiting organization, down under the guest house.
:neener:

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/unmil/wpns-cache2.jpg

Mr Jody Hudson
October 18, 2005, 07:13 AM
Just kidding... but I did just buy another box of .22s... :evil:

Cacique500
October 18, 2005, 10:06 AM
OK, question 1: I've read all the posts, including several who speak of "buying in bulk".

Watch for "sales" with the main ammo sellers. Aim Surplus, Ammunitionstore, Natchez, Sportsmans Guide, Cheaper than Dirt, etc.

When you see a special, buy a couple of cases (1000 rds/case). Shoot one case, put the other case in your stash. It will add up very quickly. A few of the above have email specials that you'll only see if you sign up with them.

In the past two years I've managed to stash about [a lot] in various calibers. :D

Hutch
October 18, 2005, 10:23 AM
Define "On Hand"....

I can't say I don't have a clue, because there're clues laying around everywhere.

I'd estimate 20k<x<40k, not including .22 and 12g.

goon
October 18, 2005, 01:56 PM
Easy answer - As much as I can afford.

Guyon
October 18, 2005, 02:03 PM
Ya'll posted some pretty full closets, but this walk-in is a little more stocked. :D

Turtle Club
October 18, 2005, 09:20 PM
I saw a commercial on tv today. It was for the new Capital One/NRA Mastercard.

New Home: $130,000.00
Tractor to manacure your lawn: $750.00
Super Size outdoor grilling station: $9,000.00

New car that ends that pesky neighbor to neighbor fued before it starts....Priceless! (http://www.afsouth.nato.int/exercises/dynamicmix/tanks.jpg)

cbsbyte
October 18, 2005, 10:12 PM
Wow, I am impressed with some peoples ammo depots. I wish we could be able to have that amount of ammo, but in Mass we are restricted to 20,000 rds of centfire and Rimfire ammo.

Ky Larry
October 18, 2005, 10:25 PM
I tend to think of my ammo stash as serious, SHTF ammo and "Play" ammo. My "Serious" ammo is for my AK, 9mm, .38 Spl-.357 Mag, .45 ACP, .30-06, 12 gauge slugs and buckshot. I always have at least 1000 rounds on hand for each of these, usually more but never less. My play ammo is .243, .22-250, .44 mag, .22 lr, .380 ACP, and .40S&W.
Quantities of these vary. Every month we are accident free at work, my company gives us a $25.00 gift card from Wally World. I use these to buy play ammo, mostly .22 lr's. This usually gets burnt up at the dump shooting rats. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "How much ammo do you all keep on hand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!