in response to reactive targets, Pin shooting?

PDA

trickyasafox
October 15, 2005, 04:45 PM
pin shooting has always sounded interesting to me, unfortunatly, the rod and gun club i belong to has no such thing. nor do any other local clubs i know of. where do you guys go get pins to start these shoots? it seems easy enough that i could set up some informal pin shoots for myself and friends. bowling allies seem the obvious solution, but are there different cores or anything in the pins i should look for? what should i expect to pay for pins? about how long will they last? (looking for a estimate on shot count)

also is there any danger that once the pins have been shot for a while and have a significant amount of lead in them that i could get richochettes

If you enjoyed reading about "in response to reactive targets, Pin shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kamicosmos
October 15, 2005, 06:20 PM
Bowling alleys is your answer for where to get pins. I know of one range that the bowling alley owner gave them the pins for free. He even delivered them! Then again, the Alley Owner was an avid pin shooter....go figure.

I have heard all kinds of price ranges: $10 a box, $1 a pin, so on and so forth. Just have to check around.

Pins will collect lead. Pins will reflect bullets as well. In my experience, new pins are worse about it than bumpy, lead filled ones. Heavy and slow will come back fairly often. ie 45 ACp under 800 fps will come back and smack the shooter, timer, bystanders. You'll get a wide range of reactions to that. :)

Pin shoots are lots of fun! Get some good serious gunners in there with race guns and you'll see some fast shooting. Also a good sport for beginners to competition.

model 649
October 15, 2005, 06:20 PM
You could bring it up at your club, you might even start something:D . The nice thing about pins is that they are a standardized target. If they come from a bowling alley they would be "official" and all the same. Here in MI, there are many alleys and availability is good for used pins at very low (or no) prices. Depending on what you shoot at them thay can last anywhere from a few hits, to 50+. Our club frowns on .44 mags at power (and yet allows hot 10mm, go figure). They take maybe a dozen good .45 hits before they become too beat up or too heavy for competition. If 12 gauge is used they are good for maybe six or seven go-rounds, then they start going to pieces. The tops of the pins make good rimfire targets and should be salvaged before scrapping the pins altogether. Lightly loaded ammo can bounce back toward the line and the Surlyn skin becomes much harder as temps fall too. I haven't noticed wether shot-up pins cause more bounce-backs. I've been hit by bounced bullets a few times and haven't so much as received a mark. DO wear eye protection (and a ball cap ain't a bad idea either!). Any way you slice it, pin shooting is GREAT fun and a good way to keep the "shootin' eye" sharp with it's balance of speed and accuracy. I hope you can get in on this good time.
Josh

chris in va
October 15, 2005, 09:10 PM
I went to the local alley seeking pins a few months ago. The mechanic asked what kind of vehicle I have (an Astro). He then proceeded to haul out 10 boxes of old pins...so 60 pins!:eek:

No charge. They can't toss them in the dumpster, so I was a godsend.:D

But anyway, shooting pins is alright, kinda boring really. My 9mm just kinda makes them fall over.:rolleyes: Now hanging one from a tree at 100 yards and making it dance with my CZ 75...that's a lot more interesting!

I'm ever on the quest for more fun things to shoot.:scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "in response to reactive targets, Pin shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!