1000 yard school zone?

PDA

kwelz
October 16, 2005, 12:36 PM
Ok I am seeking some clarification here. I was under the impression that the 1000 yard school zone law was deemed unconstitutional. However I have heard it mentioned recently a couple times. What is the deal with this?

If you enjoyed reading about "1000 yard school zone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flyboy
October 16, 2005, 01:03 PM
The law was overturned as having nothing whatsoever to do with interstate commerce. Congress said "no, we really mean it," and passed it again, adding the words "interstate commerce" everywhere they could find space. The new law hasn't been tested, and, quite frankly, I'm not sure it'd be overturned in the wake of the Raich verdict.

fjolnirsson
October 16, 2005, 01:15 PM
IIRC, the new version has an exemption for folks licensed to carry by their respective states. Hmmmmmmmmm, should probably check on that......

Devonai
October 16, 2005, 01:25 PM
Massachusetts had a 500-foot rule with no exemptions specified. I lived fifteen feet from the grounds of Beverly High School for three years. So either:

1. Nobody at the Beverly Police Department noticed that the address on my pistol permit renewal application put me in the no-carry zone,

2. Nobody at the BPD knew about the law, or,

3. Nobody cares.

FWIW

Graystar
October 16, 2005, 02:14 PM
I believe that after the law was overturned many states passed their own laws imposing similar restrictions. I know New York has one.

Alex45ACP
October 16, 2005, 03:01 PM
I don't understand this law. I live well within 1000 yds of a local high school.

afasano
October 16, 2005, 04:04 PM
I don't understand this law. I live well within 1000 yds of a local high school.

People all over "fly-over" country are in the same boat and the libs that passed the law know it. The hell with writing letters, we need to vote them out of office like we did in 1994. :fire:

Justin
October 16, 2005, 04:06 PM
Where's that Rand quote about government's only power being the ability to crack down on criminals?

El Rojo
October 16, 2005, 06:50 PM
Check your local laws. If I recall correctly, California's law has exemptions for home owners within the distance, permit holders, people passing through while carrying the weapon lawfully in your vehicle, and all sorts of other exemptions. Basically the only way you are going to get nailed for this law is if you are doing something illegal and stupid to warrant them busting you to begin with. Then they basically just add it on to your other charges to give you more time or have something to "bargain" for when you plea down your case.

If you enjoyed reading about "1000 yard school zone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!