Remington model 11 questions

PDA

meh92
October 16, 2005, 01:07 PM
Recently I have gotten a bit of a model 11 bug. These guns haven't been produced in over 50 years, but I see plenty of them floating around at gun shows and online auctions.

I'm considering buying one for a shooter, not a collector. What would be a good source of information regarding these old beauties and is there a particular gunsmith who specializes in them?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington model 11 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loandr.
October 16, 2005, 01:26 PM
Thought you'd appreciate a custom whippet of my own -). Enjoy
Host gun was Rem. 11

Loandr.

mnrivrat
October 16, 2005, 02:17 PM
Since the Remington 11 was based on the Browning pat. A5 any smith who is familiar with the Browning will know the Model 11 .

Actualy most smiths should have no trouble dealing with this gun. I know of no particular smith noted for specializing in the Model 11 .

One word of caution when buying model 11's : The most common damage (outside of wood damage) done to these is a cracked bolt. Typically this occures with a steady diet of magnums shot through a gun with a worn friction ring.

The slamming of the bolt to the rear first takes out the fiber buffer at the rear of the reciever , and when the bolt starts hitting the metal of the reciever it will typically crack on the rear left corner area. (where you can not see it without disassembly) .

At the least, you should make sure the buffer is still intact before purchase. The buffer is made of fiber about 1/8 " thick and is held in by a blind rivot to the inside rear of the receiver. You should be able to see it through the ejection port with the bolt forward and using a light to look into the recievers rear section at the hump.

meh92
October 16, 2005, 03:15 PM
Ver nice. Is that refinished furniture or a replacement stock?

loandr.
October 16, 2005, 06:53 PM
replacement stocks bought on gunbroker. Perfect fit.

Dave McCracken
October 16, 2005, 07:32 PM
Some A-5 parts fit some 11s. Mine had springs and rings replaced. Smith called it the 10K round rebuild.

Grayrock
October 17, 2005, 01:11 AM
Sorry, loandr., but that is just
WRONG.

Lawyerman
October 17, 2005, 12:05 PM
I have a Model 11 that is a switch barrel riot gun/hunting gun. The hunting barrel is a 26" modified tube with a solid rib. The riot barrel was a 28" with some kind of aftermarket cutts compensater/caged choke system. UGLY as all hail!

I had that barrel cut off at 19" and then had Remington Rifle sights installed on it. I have a two round extension for it as well. My gun is one of the post 1928 models. I had a detail clean done on it and replaced all the springs and have used it for some dove hunting and one shotgun class. I had the buttstock cut down a bit and a good recoil pad installed, works fine. A classy old blaster.

meh92
October 17, 2005, 05:07 PM
Lawyerman,

Any chance you'd post a pic? I'd love to see it. I am buying a police model with an 18" barrel and have the exact same plans for mine, including an interchangible hunting barrel. They are very cheap on E-Bay when I last checked.

How did the mag tube work for you? Which parts were necessary (tube, coupler, spring, follower, brace)? Were any internal mods necessary?

Did you do the maintenance yourself or have someone else check it over? I'm an 870/11-87 armorer, but never even held a Model 11. There is a post on Shotgun World covering a detail strip and it doesn't look too bad.

I appreciate all the info. I really would love to see a pic. If you can't post them would you e-mail me a few?

Thanks

Thanks

Moonclip
October 18, 2005, 03:36 AM
I actually think that whippet looks neat but I hope it was done on a beater. I have a factory done NEF pardner 410 single shot that has the same stock.

Didn't Clyde Barrow have such a gun?

Lawyerman
October 18, 2005, 08:34 AM
I don't know what model number of extension is on my Model 11. It came out of a "junk" box at a gunshow. It is a Choate and it had a piece of masking tape on it that said "Rem. 11". No spring but the tube was $5 so I figured it was worth the chance. Works fine. I had to come up with a spring and just ordered one out of Brownells I think it was a Scattergun spring but don't hold me to that. On the M11 there is no way to secure the tube to the barrel as with most other shotguns as the barrel moves during recoil. All you can do is tighten it down, I have not had mine move yet.

I had the detail strip and cleaning done by a local gunsmith. I had a coupon for a "clean and oil" that I had won at the Friends of NRA banquet and it seemed like a good time to use it! He also cut the barrel and soldered the rifle sights on for me. I refinished the stock and added the recoil pad myself with a little help from a talented friend. A great book with good info on the Remington 11's and Browning A5's is Patrick Sweeneys' Gunsmithing Shotguns- step by step instructions on breaking them down.

You may encounter some problems in getting a barrel to fit your gun. It's not that they don't interchange, they do but it isn't as simple as an 870 swap from what I understand. I was lucky in that the barrels I bought were part of a set that had been with the gun for a long time, maybe bought together etc....I dunno but swapping them hasn't been a problem. These guns haven't been made in about 50 years and tolerances were different back then.

meh92
October 18, 2005, 10:56 AM
Lawyerman,

Again, thanks for the information.

Brian Dale
October 20, 2005, 07:37 AM
What would be a good source of information regarding these old beauties...For some history, try this link. (http://www.remington.com/magazine/history/m11.htm)

BAD_KARMA
October 22, 2005, 07:57 AM
current manufacture 870 mag extensions will work on a model 11 but you need about an 1/8" spacer.

loandr.
October 22, 2005, 08:09 AM
I actually think that whippet looks neat but I hope it was done on a beater. I have a factory done NEF pardner 410 single shot that has the same stock.

Didn't Clyde Barrow have such a gun?

Mrs. Parker in 20 ga. as well, Not actually a beater, BUT procured cheap :-) Was a build I had been looking to do for quite some time. Did need to change the stocks out though after recut, Brass butt plate and Rubber buffer added, springs clipped until 100% reliable , rings and seals changed out as well, then Gun Refinished in Teflon Black locally (I find this also helps keeps the action nice and slick ) w/ brass bead front sight, REAL handy! . Thanks for the kind words.
Loandr.

loandr.
October 22, 2005, 08:12 AM
Sorry, loandr., but that is just
WRONG.

Some things are SO wrong that they are almost RIGHT:D ALL OAL's conform accordingly :-)
Loandr.

demusn1979
October 22, 2005, 01:59 PM
rem model 11
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/th_Im000373.jpg (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/Im000373.jpg)

Mossyrock
October 22, 2005, 09:36 PM
I stopped in at an old gun shop today that I had driven by several times, but had never visited. The guy who runs it is pushing 70 and the shop reminds me of the places that were around 30+ years ago. There was stuff kind of piled in the corners with walnut gunstock blanks all over the place, and a cloud of stale cigarette smoke hanging on the ceiling. He had no new guns in the place, but made up for it by having several pre-64 model 94 Winchesters, a couple of '03 Springfields, an OLD Remington 870 20ga built on the 12ga frame (neat guns; I have one), an old model 12 in 16ga and several other interesting pieces of scrap iron. I asked him if he had any Remington model 11s or Browning Auto-5s laying around. He said he didn't have any complete guns, just a couple of parts guns. He went in the back and brought out two old shotguns without wood. One of them was an Auto-5 that was absolutely THRASHED. It was so rusty that I couldn't open the action. Needless to say, I passed on that one. The second one, however, had my attention. It was a model 11 with the older trigger-guard safety. Someone had installed a Cutts comp and had gone to a great deal of trouble to spray paint the entire thing flat black. Except for wood, it was complete, and the bore shone like a mirror! One problem....it was a 20ga!!!!! :( :banghead: If that had been a 12, I would have had my project gun, and I am sure I could have had it for about 50 bucks. AAARRRGGG!!!!!!!!! Sometimes, the gods of procurement smile on you, and other times, they mock you and pelt you with rotten tomatoes....... :cuss:

loandr.
October 22, 2005, 10:47 PM
HEY...If it was good enough fr Bonnie! Just teasing totally undertand. keep looiing and best of luck sir!:)
Loandr.

meh92
October 23, 2005, 01:39 AM
Well I bought one. It is a police version with an 18" barrel and overall it is in very nice condition. As soon as it comes home it will get a detail strip and thorough cleaning. I have Patrick Sweeney's Gunsmithing:Shotguns book on the way to help me with the mechanicals and potential part replacement. I'm pretty excited!

SpiderJohn
October 23, 2005, 02:14 AM
I have my Grandfathers 1937 remmy mod 11. It has a Nydor sight on it. Never seen one before this one. Not ever seen one since. It is a very early holo sight that uses ambient light to present a target.

Took it dove hunting last year. Couldn't hit a bird till I removed it.

Oleg took a picture of it not too long ago.

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/arms/dotsight.sized.jpg

Sweet shooter, and simple to work on should you ever need to. If you can dissasemble an 870, this one is not bad. Make sure you have the recoil spring set to match your loads.

Edit: One day I will learn to spell, It just ain't today.

slopemeno
October 23, 2005, 03:56 AM
You might want to hold off on shooting the Nydar. The glue that holds the lense in tends to let go with age. Ive handled one and I have to say, considering the era, awesome sight. Always wanted to try one on a 10-22.

happy old sailor
October 23, 2005, 04:02 AM
i have a M11 that is roll engraved with the legend "Sportsman" on the right side of the receiver. it only holds two in the magazine. offered by the factory about when the three shot limitation became law. it has the safety button in the ttrigger guard, if that means anything.

i bought it, used, in 1948, in pristine condition, after the M48 was offered. i liked the "humpless" 48, but my yardmowing income curtailed my buying of a new shotgun or any new gun.

it had a Nydor sight on it. this sight, i was told, was invented by the man that developed the Norton bombsite of WW11 fame. it was/is mostly a rangefinder, for duck hunting, and not primarily a sight. story was that the circle in the sight corresponded with a Mallard duck's wingtips at a distance of 40 yards, the socalled optimum range to kill said duck. i too, took the sight off after using it for a short period of time. i was disappointed when i could not hit a sitting squirrel, much less a passing dove. removing the rangefinder sight reverted the M11 to what it was, a dasmn fine shotgun. it and i have lived happily ever since. quite an upgrade from a single shot 20 guage. i have always loved it and have taken especially good care of it, therefore, it is in about the same condition as when i got it it is not for sale.

in the late 50s i came into another M11, an old warhorse that had the bbl cut down and an adjustable, Polychoke, on the end of it. it kinda worked as advertised. i swapped it off for a Colt Match Target ,22 pistol with 4" and 6" bbls. i wish to heck i had them both back, but, that was back when guns were tools and not collectibles. not so, now that i am much older.

if you run across a M11 at any reasonable price, consider picking it up.
and, be sure to pay attention to the friction ring for high and low brass loads.
these old guns work as well now as they did back when they were state of the art, and, that is very well.

Brian Dale
October 24, 2005, 08:39 AM
Sounds like a good one, happy old sailor. You wrote,it has the safety button in the trigger guard, if that means anything.Just like demusn1979's, pictured above, right? Mine is that way, too. According to the article at the link I posted above,

{here it is again} (http://www.remington.com/magazine/history/m11.htm)

this design was replaced in 1928 by a crossbolt safety behind the trigger. However, it also says that the Sportsman was introduced in 1930. I'm going to guess that yours would have been made not long after that. In any case, there's a list of serial numbers and dates of manufacture on page 5 of the article.

Tom C.
October 24, 2005, 09:12 AM
My Remington Model 11 came to me as an inheritance from my uncle. It turns out that it was made in 1942. When I got it, it had a light coating of rust covering all the metal, with a couple of mild bulges in the long, full choked barrel. I found a spare barrel and someone to restore it. It now has a 25 barrel, with removable choke tubes, an MMC rear sight, an AO front sight on a Williams base, and shoots slugs into nice groups at 50 yds. I also have an extended magazine for it for use in IPSC 3-gun matches. It is nicely finished in a mat blue finish, and the wood looks great. I have put an inexpensive Ramline front forearm on it to prevent splitting of the nice wood forearm.

mnrivrat
October 24, 2005, 11:07 AM
One problem....it was a 20ga!!!!! If that had been a 12, I would have had my project gun, and I am sure I could have had it for about 50 bucks. AAARRRGGG!!!!!!!!! Sometimes, the gods of procurement smile on you, and other times, they mock you and pelt you with rotten tomatoes.......

It depends on your perspective - I would have loved to get the 20 ga. Them kinda rotten tomatoes would have made my day ! :D

Moonclip
October 25, 2005, 03:40 AM
My Rem 11, circa 1935, 95% except for very cheesy homemade recoil pad, was mine for $150 in 2004 and I'm glad to have got it even though a 20ga full choke long barrel shotgun has little use for me but I could not pass it at the price and I like the classic humpback look.

Maybe a Bonnie Parker remake is in it's future:)

meh92
October 28, 2005, 02:00 PM
I went and picked up the gun yesterday. Overall it is in really good condition (no safe queen) for a gun made in 1939! It has its shares of minor nicks and scratches, but the blueing is original and in decent shape. The tang screw hole is buggered up as unfortunately someone used an oversizes screwdriver to take off the stock. Other than that, it's cosmetically very nice. I had been thinking about refinishing it (before I got a hold of it) but that won't be necessary.

The furniture doesn not appear to be original, but both pieces are in excellent condition with no cracks anywhere.

The bore is mirror bright and does not appear to have been "honed."

Using the excellent Patrick Sweeney Gunsmithing: Shotguns and Brownells's Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms, Parts and Assembly, Vol. I, book I completely detail stripped the gun, with the exception of the receiver-mounted shell latches. Everything else came comlpetely apart. The parts were pretty dirty and had ancient dried oil/grease all over. After two careful hours (I didn't want to rush things) with Hoppes #9 the gun was ready for lube and reassembly. The gun was lubed per the Brownells book and given a function check. Anyone who has ever used the Brownells books knows that they are absolutely excellent reference materials with every bit of gunsmithing/maintenance/diagnostic info you could ever want.

The M-11 doesn't seem to be all that complicated of a gun to disassemble and reassemble, but the first time through I really took my time, checking for any damage and carefully labelling the parts for easy reassembly. The next time around it shouldn't take nearly that much time.

Although everything seems to be in good working order, I'll be ordering all new springs and friction rings just to be on the safe side. Then, it's off to the range for some fun. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Dave McCracken
October 28, 2005, 02:23 PM
Great!! I love happy endings. Go shoot it....

Mossyrock
October 28, 2005, 02:43 PM
Neat gun! You have to love that rust bluing....it shines with a very unique glow that is beautiful, subdued, classy and not garish.

meh92
January 6, 2006, 12:13 AM
I was able to locate a source of original Remington replacement parts and decided to give it an overhaul before shooting it. An internet acquaintance of mine had bought out a Remington armorer many years ago and he still had some of the parts I needed. I kept the old ones for back-ups.

I replaced several springs (recoil, action, FP, magazine, carrier, and extractor); the friction spring assembly and ring, and some buggered screws. The recoil buffer and rivot were in good condition so I left those alone, but have a spare just in case.

I headed off to a local indoor range with some Winchester 00 buck and 1600 FPS slugs. The recoil setting was placed on "heavy." I had treated the magazine tube's exterior with Rem-Oil in the beginning of November but by yeaterday, it had evaporated away and was dry.

The gun worked pretty well with the full-power stuff and seemed like almost shooting a 20 ga. A friend offered about 10 rounds of reduced-recoil tactical buck but it would not eject empty shells. After about 30 rounds we set the gun aside to cool and shoot some other guns. We came back to the Model 11about a half hour later and it was completely cooled off. When I loaded it up with the full-power Winchester 00 buck, it would not eject empty shells. I placed just a few drops of FP-10 on the mag tube, right at the friction spring assembly and the gun was up and running perfectly for the rest of the session. We shot about 50 more round of Winchester 00 buck and slugs without a single malfunction. As a test, we let it cool down once more to try to duplicate the previous ejection problem, but the gun continued working perfectly.

I did notice a slight increase in recoil after I added the oil, but that makes sense since the friction ring would loose some of it's "bite" in the oil. It wasn't brutal, but it did increase felt recoil a little. It's still much nicer to shoot than an 870, as the long-recoil system seems to soak up quite a bit of felt recoil. Keep in mind we were shooting full power buck and slugs and the gun only has a hard (factory) buttplate.

I had read on another forum that the Model 11/Auto 5 mag tube is to be left bone dry. The Rem-Oil on it had evaporated, hopefully leaving behind a little Teflon. That seemed to work for a while, but eventually led to problems. I'll make sure to keep a light coating of FP-10 on the tube from here on out.

The gun has what I believe to be a cyl. choke and an 18" barrel. At 60 feet, the gun consistantly grouped Winchester 9-pellet oo buck inside the torso of a man-sized target. It grouped about the size of the head at 40 feet out. POI for the slugs was about 6" high at 60 feet.

Overall I really like the gun and it will easily find a place on my "never sell" list.

Strafer
April 8, 2007, 08:28 PM
I bought this Mod. 11 for $207 delivered. Came with a 26" bbl but I got the 20 incher with polychoke off eBay for $75. Will shoot soon and report.

Strafer
April 8, 2007, 08:35 PM

November 21, 2008, 03:11 AM
Old but good for new rem 11 owner. good stuff

Brian Dale
November 21, 2008, 03:39 AM
Welcome, 1917. :)

November 21, 2008, 02:06 PM
Your welcome. thanks

kaj
January 10, 2009, 08:32 PM
a bit off-topic, i know.. but since you guys are talking 11s..

i was given my g'pa's old trench gun from the war. the wood is perfect. original blue. no rust. gov't markings. it's missing the barrel (told by 'smith that it would be $100).

1. anyone know where i can get the appropriate barrel?
2. anyone know of where i can find the value of the gun?

i don't have any guns in my house.. so i'd rather sell it to someone who would appreciate it.

let me know? thanks, guys.

jason
fresno ca

papaguyver@hotmail.com

Fred Fuller
January 10, 2009, 09:17 PM
kaj,

Shotguns with US markings (be they trench guns, riot guns or training guns) bring some pretty high interest from collectors these days. I'd suggest you do a little homework- try http://www.brucecanfield.com/books.html , www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/milshotgun/shotgun.pl?noframes;#12109 , http://www.gunbroker.com/ etc for more information.

hth,

lpl

meh92
January 11, 2009, 08:26 AM
I was looking at additional commercial barrels for my M11 several months back and I saw them in the $100-$150 range on the auctions sites Lee mentioned. However, I was not looking for one with the military ordnance stampings. That could definitely make finding one more difficult and more expensive. Considering the family history of your gun, I think the investment would be worth it.

agent00
February 20, 2009, 04:41 AM
This an very interresting thread. I am also interested in getting an remington modell 11, but unforutnatelly I wasn't able to find one yet here in austria. But I will keep one seraching:fire:. It would be no problem to get an browning auto 5 at a very good condition, but only the 20 gauge model. An 12 gauge model would be the better choice.

Greetings from austria.

DMR
February 20, 2009, 07:04 AM
Any of the experts able to date my military finish? Ser#497XXX ?

Thanks

35Rem
February 20, 2009, 09:03 AM
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes
See above for Remington date information.
Based on the serial number, before August 1943, after June 1942. It is in the right range for WWII production.

Capstick1
February 20, 2009, 03:17 PM
You are right about Clyde Barrow using an Auto Five. Clydes not only had a barrel that was sawed off in front of the magazine cap but the buttstock was shortened as well just behind the wrist area. I've seen pictures of this shotgun. It is ugly looking but I'm sure it must have been devastating at close range. Clyde probably discovered this unfortunately more than a few times.

yeahhh
August 21, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hey there I think I have a model 11 but its made under browning pats? Here are some pics of it.... How much are they worht because I would like to trade it for a rifle.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/cracker121_bucket/rem3.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/cracker121_bucket/rem2.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/cracker121_bucket/rem1.jpg

35Rem
August 21, 2009, 05:00 PM
Value: Probably not more than $300 in really good condition. What is the barrel length and choke? Condition and original configuration are very important. Has a recoil pad been added or the tock ever cut? Length of pull (dist from trigger to buttplate) should be 14 1/4"

Brotherhoodarms
March 20, 2011, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have anymore info about adapting a 870 extension tube to the Model 11.

I would really like to do this to my sportsman But All I have read is that it needs an 1/8 adapter

Confused???

Thanks for the help!

jl1288
March 20, 2011, 11:28 PM
When I bought this mod 11, someone had painted it OD green. I pd 180.00 brought it home and started stripping that nasty paint from the steel and the wood. All I can say is wow whoever did that to this gun, well I can't say that on this forum. It also had a mag extension, it was a consignment and the guy's at the shop didn't know much about it. It has a 20'' barrel and I took off the mag extension, I wanted it back to original. It is a graceful design JMB knew what he was doing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington model 11 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!