Questions for Attorney General?

PDA

ctdonath
October 16, 2005, 02:36 PM
Any guidelines for asking the US Attorney General something?

Specifically looking for an answer to (phrased in great detail) "considering laws X Y and Z, why does the BATF refuse to allow seemingly legal Q?"

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions for Attorney General?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rwc
October 16, 2005, 07:07 PM
There are probably statutes or rule governing who the USAG owes legal opinions to when asked.
Don't be surprised if the answer is something along the lines of "talk to a lawyer on your own dime."

ctdonath
October 16, 2005, 11:02 PM
Hence my question.

I've seen enough references to "I sent the AG a question and got a clear relevant answer" that I'm wondering where the line is you refer to.

The issue is that the lawyer on my dime isn't relevant to the question. My lawyer's answer can't make the BATFE do something they legally should but won't ... but the US AG can.

rwc
October 17, 2005, 10:51 PM
Sorry I can't be of more help, that's how it works at the state level out here.

rmgill
October 17, 2005, 11:45 PM
Sorry I can't be of more help, that's how it works at the state level out here.

AGs can issue opinions on law, but it takes a lot to get them to do so. Genearally, the lower level lawyers have to either defer you to your own council or up to their boss. Usually its the former. I did manage to get the state AG here in Georgia to issue an opinion by going through my stat senator. The Georgia AG HAS to issue an opinion on what a law means when a State Senator asks him to. That's so if the law is being interpreted wrong by the people that prosecute it, then the Legislature can fix it. It got me half way through my issues with the State DMVs. They weren't happy when I more or less beat them over the head with the law. Still have to get the other law changed through the legislature. My bills have cleared the senate, now they need to clear the house.

rwc
October 18, 2005, 10:55 PM
Good point. A friendly member of your Congressional delegation would have a much greater chance of actually getting an anaswer from the USAG.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions for Attorney General?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!