Texas hunters...how does hunting on public land work?

PDA

orangeninja
October 16, 2005, 11:49 PM
Anyone who hunts on public land (state parks, etc.) in Texas...could you please post how all that works?

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas hunters...how does hunting on public land work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Double Naught Spy
October 17, 2005, 01:45 AM
Consult Texas Parks and Wildlife. They will have all the information you need since they are the ones that regulate hunting in Texas.

rbernie
October 17, 2005, 09:50 AM
WHAT public land???? :rolleyes: When you find some worth hunting - lemme know, please....

RRTX
October 17, 2005, 10:07 AM
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/

There is a place about 5 minutes from my house that's owned by the Corps of Engineers where you can dove hunt, I think they allow some deer hunting with bow or shotgun but you have to enter a drawing for the permit, the dove permit they issue out pretty freely.

waterhouse
October 17, 2005, 11:42 AM
You buy a permit (I think it's about $50) and they send you the maps of all of the hunting land. I've done it for a couple years for dove hunting . . .it is always very crowded opening day but at least around austin (there are a couple place withing an hour) the public lands are pretty vacant for most of the rest of the season. One of the places close to me is a sunflower field with a couple tanks and a tree line. The birds haven't been plentiful (I probably average about 1/2 limit on the public lands) but I always have a good time.

One of the biggest drawbacks is that they don't send you the map until you pay, and some places don't have any public lands around them, so depending on where you live it could be a good deal or not.

RRTX
October 17, 2005, 11:49 AM
You buy a permit (I think it's about $50) and they send you the maps of all of the hunting land. I've done it for a couple years for dove hunting . . .it is always very crowded opening day but at least around austin (there are a couple place withing an hour) the public lands are pretty vacant for most of the rest of the season. One of the places close to me is a sunflower field with a couple tanks and a tree line. The birds haven't been plentiful (I probably average about 1/2 limit on the public lands) but I always have a good time.

One of the biggest drawbacks is that they don't send you the map until you pay, and some places don't have any public lands around them, so depending on where you live it could be a good deal or not.

You can view the maps on at the link I posted actually, I think that is a recent change though because I never remember being able to see them from the site before.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_112aa.pdf
There is the direct link. If you are looking to hunt anything but dove you are better off just finding a regular lease, almost all the public lands only allow dove hunting with a few allowing some waterfowl and a few with rabbits and coyote.

orangeninja
October 17, 2005, 12:43 PM
Man that sucks...since when did rabbit count as game?:rolleyes:

Gee...I wonder if squirl is on the menu.:barf:

belton-deer-hunter
October 17, 2005, 12:54 PM
where i hunt there is texas public land and like said above it is almost worthless you have to of course hve a hunting linces and a type 48 public land permitt you jsut pay when you get you hunting license

slugcatcher
October 17, 2005, 01:05 PM
It's $48 plus the cost of your regular state hunting license and whatever stamps you buy. It's best to call TPWD with any questions. The documentation leaves a little to be desired. I did it last year and plan on doing it again this year. Make sure you know all the rules of the area you plan to hunt before going there. BTW you can't carry a pistol on Corp of Engineers land but you can on National Forest lands. As my luck would have it I saw squirrels and rabbits when I hunted for deer and deer when I hunted squirrels and rabbits. The 1st two weeks of general deer season the places I went to were packed. After that I was nearly alone.

waterhouse
October 17, 2005, 02:10 PM
thanks for the link RRTX. It must be a new thing. I remember going back and forth with them when I first started doing the program:

Me: Where can i hunt?
TDPW: We'll send you maps of all the places in the state once you pay.
Me: But what if there aren't any places near me?
TDPW: Well, you'll be able to see that once you pay.
Me: :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Texas hunters...how does hunting on public land work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!