Woman arrested for not paying $1.16 in taxes

PDA

pwolfman
October 17, 2005, 10:28 AM
http://www.local6.com/money/5093711/detail.html

She says she was treated like a common criminal and the police approached her with hands on their guns to arrest her after a traffic stop.

After all, it is the "principal" of the law that we have to follow and not common sense. :rolleyes:

Zero tolerance in police work....? Please tell me that most people would have reacted different to this little lady...

pwolfman

If you enjoyed reading about "Woman arrested for not paying $1.16 in taxes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fourays2
October 17, 2005, 10:40 AM

She says she was treated like a common criminal and the police approached her with hands on their guns to arrest her after a traffic stop.

After all, it is the "principal" of the law that we have to follow and not common sense. :rolleyes:

Zero tolerance in police work....? Please tell me that most people would have reacted different to this little lady...

pwolfman
this is hardly an example of fiscal responsibility on the part of the "authoritahs". If I were a tax-payer in that city I would be censuring them for wasting money trying to enforce the law.

Henry Bowman
October 17, 2005, 11:00 AM
I live on the edge of Loveland, OH. There are 2 sides to this story -- and blame belongs on both sides. The idiocy of the city and its process is self evident. On the other hand, this lady appears to have been too distracted to file her income tax returns for several years. That causes little red flags to be associated with your name whether the liability is $1.23 or $1.23 million.

Justice will prevail. She's getting lots of public sympathy and an elected judge (rather than the bureaucratic system that laded her there) will sort things out.

HighVelocity
October 17, 2005, 11:02 AM
I wonder if the arresting officers even knew what the $ amount was. They probably just had the warrant, not the detailed info.
I don't fault the officers, it's whoever issued the warrant that needs a spankin.

pwolfman
October 17, 2005, 11:16 AM
I agree with you henry, and I fault both sides as well. But why does the tax guy just ask for the money? "hey lady, gotta buck for the poor city?" WHERE IS THE COMMON SENSE OF THE GOVERNMENT??? Sadly, there is none.

She doesn't have any sense either in not filing taxes for five years....

pwolfman

lawson4
October 17, 2005, 11:43 AM
If she had no job or income for 5 years, would she be required to file?
And I agree, the officers probably didn't know the amount owed, only that she had a warrant.

lawson4

rick_reno
October 17, 2005, 11:45 AM
She is a common criminal - she didn't pay her taxes.

El Tejon
October 17, 2005, 11:45 AM
I got a notice from the Indiana Department of Workforce Development that I owed them $0.56 for an employee.

Factor in a $.37 and state worker time to send me the notice and I think the state was down a few bucks.:D

Derby FALs
October 17, 2005, 11:48 AM
"Whether it's $1 they owe us or $1,000, it's not fair to the rest of the public to not pursue that person," he said. "There is some expense involved, but it goes back to the principle. We have laws. The laws have to be complied with. At what cost do you stop enforcing the law?"

When the cost exceeds common sense? Duh...

dasmi
October 17, 2005, 11:55 AM
You know, everytime the Government does something like this, even if they are technically upholding the law, I think of our pal Sandy Berger. The Government has one gigantic set of brass balls.

Werewolf
October 17, 2005, 12:10 PM
She is a common criminal - she didn't pay her taxesHarumph! Well she's in pretty good company then.

Can any one say FOUNDING FATHERS?

Then again I doubt if she was trying to make any kind of stand by not filing the forms. Does seem kinda dumb though to file a form that costs more to send and process than is owed.

But then no one I know has ever claimed that governments are smart or efficient.

rick_reno
October 17, 2005, 12:42 PM
Can any one say FOUNDING FATHERS?

Aren't those guys dead?

Fletchette
October 18, 2005, 01:13 AM
Tyrannies have no "common sense".

A year after my mother moved out of Taxachussetts, she received a letter demanding back taxes. The amount: $0.00. (I am not kidding, that's what the letter said!) She called up some bureaucrat and wasted an hour of her time. The bureaucrat said, "oh sure, don't worry about it".

Sure enough, another letter came and this time threatened an arrest warrant.

So, she got out her checkbook and wrote a check for $0.00. I am sure if she had not done that a Federal Marshall would have shown up at her door.

twoblink
October 18, 2005, 02:40 AM
WHERE IS THE COMMON SENSE OF THE GOVERNMENT??? Sadly, there is none.

<Neo from Matrix> Whoa... </Neo from Matrix>

You said "common sense" and "government" in the same sentence!!

You know there's a tax for doing stupid things like that right??

This story isn't that bad; I like the one where the old lady was tackled and had a few bones broken because she saw a parking meter was about to expire and so she put in a quarter on the person's behalf. That's a felony I think..

I have had pet hamsters who are smarter than most governments..

Lupinus
October 18, 2005, 02:42 AM
Pet hampster's?

I have picked belly button lint smarter then the goverment

silverlance
October 18, 2005, 03:52 AM
0.00 that's too funny.

what happened when they cashed it?

did you get a receipt for your nothing?

but BUT BUT: i think the city was absolutely in the right to chase this woman down. 1.23 is nothing. okay, what about five lousy bucks? or a ten and some spare change...

you get the point.

you don't file your taxes like an idiot for five years, you're an idiot that deserves to have the cops show up and do their duty. the cops didn't beat her, didn't throw her in jail (ifaik), or actually pull their guns on her. so why the complaint?

if i borrowed a buck from you, would you want it back? or would you just let it slide? okay, what if 500 people each showed up the next day to borrow a buck from you?

do you always give a buck to the homeless you see? no? why not? it's just a buck..

this lady probably got tons of letters, but chose to ignore them because she figured 1.23 was chump change.

chump change, but too much for to actually have to pay.

PCGS65
October 18, 2005, 04:48 AM
She is a common criminal - she didn't pay her taxes.

Then why don't the police arrest people when someone agrees to pay someone else for a service or merchandise and doesn't? I know what they say it's a civil matter. No it's not. Not paying for something is a crime no matter who it's against.

If she's a criminal for not paying $1.16 in taxes then every politician should be in prison for stealing taxpayers money.

It's ok for the politicians to steal from the taxpayers but not ok for a little old lady to owe $1.16 in taxes?

I hate to see my tax dollars being wasted to collect a $1.16.

The Drew
October 18, 2005, 08:17 AM
A few years ago when the IRS was going through some reorganization, they dropped a ton of cases because they figured it would cost more to pursue than they would get in return. I hate to think that the federal government is Smarter than this particular local gov...

The point is that it doesn't matter if she is "getting away" with something, you cannot enforce tax law that costs more money then you'll get in return...

Derek Zeanah
October 18, 2005, 10:30 AM
I've not filed a tax return before. I didn't make enough to owe anything that year, and I wasn't going to do the "thank you for not taking welfare credit."

There's no obligation that everyone file.

Camp David
October 18, 2005, 10:50 AM

Contrasted with this is ex-Mayor Barry in Washington, D.C. not having paid taxes since 1997...

It's not what you know, but who you know! :banghead:

WT
October 18, 2005, 01:18 PM
Tax deliquents have been known to resort to violence. Look at Al Capone. They got him on tax evasion. Then there was that militia outfit in Montana a few years ago. Armed standoff for days when they refused to pay taxes.

Yup, she's a criminal. Hope she loses her 2nd amendment rights forever.

I want to know where tax evaders live. The state should put up a website listing their names and addresses.

Fletchette
October 18, 2005, 01:25 PM
Gun owners have been known to resort to violence. Look at Al Capone. They got him on tax evasion. Then there was that militia outfit in Montana a few years ago. Armed standoff for days when they refused to give up their guns.

Yup, she's a criminal. Hope she loses her rights forever.

I want to know where gun owners live. The state should put up a website listing their names and addresses.

LawDog
October 18, 2005, 02:00 PM
Then why don't the police arrest people when someone agrees to pay someone else for a service or merchandise and doesn't?

*blink, blink* Wha-?

We do. All the time. At least, here in Texas we do.

LawDog

thorn726
October 18, 2005, 04:55 PM
very stupid.
if she only owes $1, how was she even required to file??
you have to owe the feds considerably more than that before you are even required to file.

when a person owes $1 in taxes and cant afford to pay, it's time to show a little compassion.

TexasRifleman
October 18, 2005, 05:37 PM
We do. All the time. At least, here in Texas we do.

We do a LOT of things that no one else does. We're like a whole other country remember? :evil:

Soap
October 18, 2005, 06:40 PM
I got a notice from the Indiana Department of Workforce Development that I owed them $0.56 for an employee.

Factor in a $.37 and state worker time to send me the notice and I think the state was down a few bucks.:D

But you have also been employed at least once in the last five years, unlike this lady ;)

javafiend
October 18, 2005, 06:45 PM
*blink, blink* Wha-? We do. All the time. At least, here in Texas we do.

We don't have debtor's prison in this country except for taxes and child support.

And if you owe money, Texas is the best palce to live.

thorn726
October 18, 2005, 07:10 PM
We don't have debtor's prison in this country except for taxes and child support.

that is not true at ALL. WE HAVE NO DEBTORS PRISON.

tax evasion is not the same as not being able to pay, same with child support.

you dont go to jail for not paying , you go only for filing fraudulently.
even this woman can only be taken to court to be made to make arrangements to pay, she cant be sentenced to jail for not paying.

red foxx would be a great example. he filed taxes every year but never sent a check, eventually the feds took everything he had left.

If you enjoyed reading about "Woman arrested for not paying $1.16 in taxes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!