Ruger 22/45 slide trouble

PDA

A. Partisan
March 30, 2003, 12:08 PM
Hello everybody, I just registered with this site and this is my first post. This is my problem, I bought a new Ruger 22/45 and I have shot 300 rounds through it. The slide is not locking open when the last round is fired. I have taken it apart a couple of times and lubed and even put graphite on the bolt stop button.No help. Anybody got an idea what the problem is. I figured I'd check here first before I call Ruger. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 22/45 slide trouble" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tag
March 30, 2003, 12:11 PM
Weak Mag springs or a weak recoil spring would be my guess.

forquidder
March 30, 2003, 01:21 PM
Try taking the magazine apart and cleaning and lightly lubing all the internals. Some 22lr ammo has a waxy coating for lubrication which may have built up in your magazine causing the mag follower to stick, preventing it from fully engaging the slide stop.

notos&w
March 30, 2003, 06:40 PM
ruger replaced the mags on my 22/45 when they had less rounds than yours. seems they were just plain duds. if i were you, id just ask for replacements and not fool w/ trying to test the springs (make sure the mags are clean though).

A. Partisan
March 30, 2003, 07:49 PM
In 300 rounds shot through this pistol it has yet to lock the slide open on the last shot. After a cleaning and lube session I did take one of the mags apart. It didn't seem to be dirty. I can put an empty mag into the pistol and you can see the stop lever move up a small amount. When you rack the slide back it will lock the slide open. thanks to all for the help.

Al Thompson
March 30, 2003, 08:24 PM
A.P., welcome to The High Road.. Does sound like magazine problems to me.

Destructo6
March 30, 2003, 08:58 PM
You're not holding the slide stop down with your grip are you?

I've felt the slide stop button move up against my thumb a few time while firing my 22/45.

A. Partisan
March 30, 2003, 10:42 PM
Destructo6,

Interesting. I have checked my grip. That could be possible. I'll go out tomorrow after work and fire a few off and see. Thanks

A. Partisan
April 2, 2003, 06:41 PM
I went to the shooting range. Checked my grip and that is not the problem. When I got home I called Ruger, explained the problem and they allowed the Bolt Stop Assembly could have a burr on it causing it hang up on the frame. They're sending me a new one.

BlkHawk73
April 3, 2003, 07:41 PM
22/45s have a slide? Mine has a bolt reciprocating within a fixed reciever tube.

Sorry to be technical, just had to.:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 22/45 slide trouble" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!