Why Abc News Can't Be Trusted!

PDA

Camp David
October 17, 2005, 11:30 AM
Headline on Toledo Riot on ABC News Website:
http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/3424/aaawhitesriot2ht.th.gif (http://img417.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aaawhitesriot2ht.gif)
Anyone see white supremacists rioting in Toldeo video? Any at all?
:mad:
Credit to http://www.michellemalkin.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Why Abc News Can't Be Trusted!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AirForceShooter
October 17, 2005, 11:38 AM
Just ABC???

AFS

Zundfolge
October 17, 2005, 11:59 AM
Abc News Can't Be Trusted!

In other "news"

New Study shows Trees are made of Wood!

:neener:

dasmi
October 17, 2005, 12:04 PM
Those ???????s. I hate everything about the media.

Yowza
October 17, 2005, 12:11 PM
Unbelievable! That's so blatant I almost want to give them the benefit of the doubt and blame it on poor information. There's no way they could be stupid enough to do that on purpose, is there?

Rick

Kurush
October 17, 2005, 12:41 PM
It has to be intentional, all the MSM does on stories like this is reprint/expand on the wire stories, and AP was very clear that the nazis weren't rioting.

bountyhunter
October 17, 2005, 12:42 PM
Headline on Toledo Riot on ABC News Website:
http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/3424/aaawhitesriot2ht.th.gif (http://img417.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aaawhitesriot2ht.gif)
Anyone see white supremacists rioting in Toldeo video? Any at all?
:mad:
Credit to http://www.michellemalkin.comI'm not sure I am understanding your complaint. Are you upset because they did not have a camera crew and show video of the story or are you upset because they covered the story in print media?

It seems like a legitimate news story to me, but we didn't get national coverage of it out on the west coast.

antsi
October 17, 2005, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure I am understanding your complaint. Are you upset because they did not have a camera crew and show video of the story or are you upset because they covered the story in print media?

It seems like a legitimate news story to me, but we didn't get national coverage of it out on the west coast.

It wasn't the Nazis that rioted. It was the anti-Nazi protest crowd that went rodeo.

pax
October 17, 2005, 12:49 PM
Oddly enough, the Nazis cleared out before the riot started. Guess they didn't want to deal with the consequences of the anger they'd stirred up.

pax

torpid
October 17, 2005, 01:00 PM
Guess they didn't want to deal with the consequences of the anger they'd stirred up.

And of course, the offended people had to do something with that anger.

:rolleyes:

RocketMan
October 17, 2005, 11:09 PM
Weren't you paying attention, Bountyhunter? We did indeed get coverage of this out here on the Left Coast.
Good grief...

Art Eatman
October 18, 2005, 12:42 AM
bountyhunter, the sequence of events, roughly:

The Nazis were to have a permitted march, to protest the criminality of street gangs.

Some 'just folks' showed up to protest the Nazis.

Some street gang people, 200 or more, showed up.

The Nazis left before marching.

The 'just folks' left before or just as the violence started.

The street gang people rioted and looted and burned.

Okay? It was all on TV, for hours and hours of repeat.

Art

LAR-15
October 18, 2005, 10:10 AM
The nazis were told to leave or face arrest.

They wisely left before the trouble started

Baba Louie
October 18, 2005, 11:03 AM
Hoo Boy. Did I miss something here?

Who knew that all those angry young, rock throwin', business burnin' african-americans were "White Supremacists"? :confused:

Ya learn somthing every day boy, let me tell you. War is Peace and all that.

pax
October 18, 2005, 11:18 AM
The Nazis were to have a permitted march, to protest the criminality of street gangs.
Actually, I wonder if that's not the genesis of the riot, right there.

I don't mean the existence of the Nazis. I mean the infringement upon the 1st Amendment caused by issuing a permit to assemble and say their stuff.

Think about it for a minute.

1) Issuing the permit was free publicity for the Nazis. Those guys don't have a lot of money, and you know that the only advertising they were going to be able to do was word-of-mouth. Because the local reporters routinely keep an eye on issued permits, the issuance of the permit gave the marchers free publicity -- publicity that they probably couldn't have bought.

2) Issuing the permit gave the appearance that the city was endorsing the Nazis and what they said. If the city government didn't support it, why'd they issue the permit? -- that's the question that caused the uproar.

3) Because the city had issued a permit, it was necessary for the mayor's office to tell citizens not to say or do anything about the Nazis. Free publicity. And once again, you've got the appearance that the city was endorsing what the Nazis said.

Oddly enough, I think a lot of situations like this might be avoided with just a little bit more freedom.

pax

Rockrivr1
October 18, 2005, 11:20 AM
I'm thinking that someone at ABC is now hanging out in the unemployment line right now because of that error. Of course it's probably been blamed on some lowly employee. We all know that the executives would never allow a mistake like that go through. (Hummmm)

scottgun
October 18, 2005, 12:37 PM
Pax- The city denied the permit for the neo-nazis to march. So instead the neo-nazis attempted to march down the sidewalk.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,172379,00.html
The mayor had appealed to residents the night before to ignore the march. He said the city wouldn't give the Nazi (search) group a permit to march in the streets but couldn't stop them from walking on the sidewalks.

What would have been a few dozen fringe Hitler-wannabes that would have gotten ZERO media attention turned into mass riot with national media attention. I say let their message be heard and it will fail on its own merits, and not create a lawless riot trying to silence them.

bountyhunter
October 18, 2005, 12:48 PM
It wasn't the Nazis that rioted. It was the anti-Nazi protest crowd that went rodeo.
OK, now I understand. But it's easy to see why people would blame it on the Nazis. They are not a very popular group, and their presence is what incited the whole situation.

Like I said, we didn't get any real coverage out here.

bountyhunter
October 18, 2005, 12:49 PM
Weren't you paying attention, Bountyhunter? We did indeed get coverage of this out here on the Left Coast.
Good grief...
Sorry, I watch national news at 6PM and usually local at 11. I guess I missed it.

hso
October 18, 2005, 12:57 PM
Toledo Blade Newpaper article

NORTH TOLEDO RIOT AFTERMATH
Mayor calls off emergency, pledges to heal community, rebuild damaged businesses
By TOM TROY
BLADE STAFF WRITER

Calling off the emergency declaration that followed Saturday’s riot in North Toledo, Mayor Jack Ford yesterday promised to work to heal the community and rebuild damaged businesses.

That promise specifically included Jim and Lou’s Bar, 3032 Mulberry St., which was damaged by fire. The mayor said city building inspectors concluded that the structure can be salvaged.

“We’ve had two days of very quiet times,” following the riot, Mr. Ford said. “We’re going to continue to monitor closely the neighborhood.”

Toledo became the center of national attention Saturday when a planned march by a group of neo-Nazis starting at Wilson Park in the north end was canceled at the last minute and a crowd numbering as many as 600 rioted, burning Jim and Lou’s Bar, breaking windows, and causing injuries.

Despite that, Mr. Ford sought to downplay the impact. “This all occurred in one square mile,” he said. “This is not something that spread into other neighborhoods.”

The mayor promised to meet with businesses that were damaged, and vowed to spend time meeting with residents of the neighborhood.

Photo
The front-door frame of Tom Szych’s Bronson Avenue home was damaged during Saturday’s rioting in North Toledo.
( THE BLADE/ANDREW MCMURTRIE )
Zoom

He blamed the neo-Nazis for causing the march to be canceled, which he said resulted in some protesters venting their anger at police.

“Neither the [police] chief nor I had any idea of the number of folks who would show up or that the neo-Nazis would change ... the plan for what we thought was going to be a peaceful walk starting at an area that we controlled,” Mr. Ford said.

“They came here to stir up Toledo, and I think they succeeded,” Mr. Ford acknowledged.

Former Mayor Carty Finkbeiner, who is challenging Mr. Ford in the Nov. 8 election, stood in front of the fire-ravaged tavern to say that the damage to Toledo’s national reputation will take years to overcome.

He pledged to help Mayor Ford “rebuild the bridge of human relations and mutual respect.”

Mr. Ford, whose news conference came later in the day, took note of Mr. Finkbeiner’s offer and said he appreciated it.

Mr. Finkbeiner also said that the violence proved his contention that Toledo has a gang problem. “I don’t believe we should ever again allow a march sponsored by a hate group to take place in a neighborhood in our city,” Mr. Finkbeiner said.

After Mr. Finkbeiner’s remarks in the neighborhood near Lagrange Street, he was approached by a group of young men and women who complained about the police and other issues.

Antoine Jones, 30, who lives on Bricker Avenue, has 11 children, and currently is unemployed, said police approach him and accuse him of being a drug dealer. “They roll through and say, ‘Are you selling drugs?’ I can’t have five people in my yard without ‘selling drugs,’” he said.

To their complaints, Mr. Finkbeiner recommended getting job training and having stable family lives, which he said would lead to being able to buy cars and other things they want.

“But men, that doesn’t come unless you’re willing to get into programs that are going to have you getting up at an early time every day, doing the training first, and working the regular day,” Mr. Finkbeiner said. “Guys, I’m not kidding you. That’s the way you make the dollar.”

He had his aides take down phone numbers. To Mr. Finkbeiner’s offer of helping them enroll in job-training programs, Mr. Jones said, “We’re going to hold you accountable.”

To which the former mayor responded: “I’m going to hold you accountable.”

The march by the neo-Nazis was supposed to start at noon Saturday but was called off by police Chief Mike Navarre after the group of about 15 brown-shirted neo-Nazis exchanged verbal taunts with a rapidly growing crowd of protesters on the other side of Stickney Avenue.

The white supremacists were hustled out of the area by police officers because of safety concerns. Bill White, a national spokesman for the group who also heads its Roanoke, Va., unit, later criticized the police’s handling of the matter when the neo-Nazis regrouped afterward at the Lucky Duck tattoo parlor at Sylvania and Revere avenues in West Toledo.

They gathered at the tattoo shop before going to North Toledo for the march and returned there afterward, some of them to change out of their march clothes and a few of them to get tattoos.

Owner Lisa Campbell said yesterday that her shop does not discriminate against anyone of any color or creed. “We don’t do that,” she said. “That’s why we didn’t tell [the Nazis] to leave.”

With the Nazis gone, some in the North Toledo crowd, which included gang members in the red colors of the Bloods, took out their fury on police, area businesses, houses, cars, and news media vehicles and personnel.

One Blade photographer was beaten in the face. A second Blade photographer and a Blade reporter were physically jostled and robbed of equipment. A second Blade reporter sustained a minor injury when struck from behind by a rock.

Photo
Mayor Jack Ford pledges to meet with owners of businesses damaged during the unrest and visit residents affected by the violence in their neighborhood.
( THE BLADE/ANDREW MCMURTRIE )
Zoom
Businesses, cars damaged
Damaged and looted in the afternoon chaos that lasted about five hours were the bar, the American Petroleum gas station at 3037 Stickney, Stanley’s Five-Star Market at 3302 Stickney, and the 7-Eleven store at 3151 Lagrange.

Losses to the businesses are expected to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Deputy Fire Chief Bob Metzger estimated damage to Jim and Lou’s Bar alone at more than $150,000.

Ten city police vehicles, a fire engine, and a Lucas County life squad were damaged and removed from service, officials said. Most of the damage included broken windshields, windows, and light bars.

Dozens of other private vehicles driven near the intersection of Central Avenue and Mulberry Street or along streets where violence occurred had similar damage from rocks and other objects.

Photo
Mayoral candidate Carty Finkbeiner, right, speaks with three men from the neighborhood where the riots occurred. From left are Prentice Bishop, Antonio Wilson, and Antoine Jones.
( THE BLADE/LUKE BLACK )
Zoom
Fire Chief Mike Bell said the life squad had $5,000 worth of damage and the engine had $2,000 worth of damage. Two paramedics were injured, and one of them received stitches after being struck in the head with a brick.

Mayor Ford has estimated the cost of police overtime at more than $100,000.

Mr. Ford said help was being offered by the building trades unions to rebuild Jim and Lou’s Bar and the other businesses. He said the city’s economic development department has money that can help.

Lucas County Commission President Tina Skeldon Wozniak said the county has some federal money that can be used to defray the cost of damages from the rioting.

Dave Simko, an attorney for bar owner Lou Ratajski, said they appreciated the mayor’s offer to rebuild, but he disputed whether it was possible. “The building was really gutted by fire on the second floor and experienced significant damage by water on the first floor,” he said.

Chief Navarre yesterday continued to defend the police department’s handling of the planned march. He said he believes the invitation to the Nazi group for Saturday’s march was made by a brother of Tom Szych, a white Bronson Avenue resident whose numerous complaints to the police about problems with a black neighbor and a black gang were identified as the spark for the neo-Nazis’ interest in Toledo.

Tom Szych’s brother, James Szych, who also lives on Bronson, could not be reached yesterday for comment.

Tom Szych claimed the neo-Nazis read about his complaints about gangs in a local weekly newspaper and came to the neighborhood about a month ago, going door-to-door, to sign up members, including at his father’s house, also on Bronson.

“Then they said they were Nazis, and my Dad threw them out,” said Tom Szych, who was in Michigan completing a gun certification course Saturday when the violence erupted.

Wants city to pay
Tom Szych said the city should pay for the windows all over the front of his house that were broken by a mob, as well as damage to his father’s house.

Several residents who gathered yesterday morning outside Jim and Lou’s Bar said the city should not have allowed the neo-Nazi group to try to march in their community.

Prentice Bishop, 28, who lives nearby, said he was at work at a pizza store but understood the anger that was directed at police. “If you got police telling us you can’t march in your own block, but you tell some people who don’t live here that they can come in, are you with us or against us?”

Rich Stamper, who lives two doors from Jim and Lou’s, said, “The police did their job and they did it well.” While acknowledging that the neo-Nazis had the right to march, he said he’d like to see how Nazi leader Bill White would like it if an out-of-town crowd marched on his Roanoke neighborhood.

Gregg Harris, president of the Toledo Police Patrolman’s Association, said the department’s manpower level is a big concern.

“We can’t keep waiting until after the retirements [to hire more officers,]” he said. Mr. Harris added that the police department doesn’t have enough protective shields for its officers and needs riot training and possibly an armored vehicle.

Mayor Ford said a police class takes several months and is based on whether there is money available in the budget, which has been tight for more than three years. The mayor said by the middle of next year, he hopes to have 700 to 705 officers. Chief Navarre said he will look at the equipment issue.

Police stationed an extra officer inside Woodward High School yesterday and doubled the number of officers patrolling the area from three to six two-officer units, he said.

pax
October 18, 2005, 01:09 PM
scottgun ~

Thanks. I stand corrected!

pax

fjolnirsson
October 18, 2005, 01:19 PM
their presence is what incited the whole situation.

Before I get jumped on for "supporting the neo-nazis" or some such, let me clarify that I don't agree with or condone their message.
However, there is no reason they shouldn't have a march to spread that message.

What "incited the whole situation" was the presence of the idiots who decided to loot and burn their own darned city.

Tolerance goes more than one direction.
Freedom requires that we tolerate things we do not like, so long as they do not harm us, or others we care for.
Anything less, and we have tyranny. It just depends on whose flavor of tyranny we have.

bountyhunter
October 18, 2005, 01:52 PM
Before I get jumped on for "supporting the neo-nazis" or some such, let me clarify that I don't agree with or condone their message.
However, there is no reason they shouldn't have a march to spread that message.

What "incited the whole situation" was the presence of the idiots who decided to loot and burn their own darned city.
I wasn't advocating a ban on free specch, jut pointing out that if somebody walks into a bar in Shreveport and starts loudly spouting about the idiocy of the war, what a dufus the president is, etc...... the reaction will be pretty predictable.

Most cities know these kind of situations will frequently erupt into violent confrontation and have appropriate police muscle around to keep the low lifes on their better behavior.

Sounds like this city's mayor just crossed his fingers and hoped for the best. That usually doesn't turn out well.

torpid
October 18, 2005, 05:49 PM
I wasn't advocating a ban on free specch, jut pointing out that if somebody walks into a bar in Shreveport and starts loudly spouting about the idiocy of the war, what a dufus the president is, etc...... the reaction will be pretty predictable.

The incensed Shreveport barflys proceed to burn down their own bar?
:confused:

javafiend
October 18, 2005, 07:01 PM
Probably some "overzealous intern." (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22overzealous+intern%22)

If you enjoyed reading about "Why Abc News Can't Be Trusted!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!