ID/IFF panels on coalition armor?

PDA

vitiaz
March 30, 2003, 12:39 PM
Has anyone noticed the panels on the sides of the coalition forces? They look like ~3x3 ft. boxes with shutters in them. I have also seen M1 with light colored panels attached to the front of the turrets. My only guess is that these are some kind of id marker to prevent 'friendly fire' incidents...perhaps they are ir(or something else) to work at night w/ nvg/ti . Or are these something less sophisticated like 'programmable' billboards you seen around town.

Any 'treadheads' out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "ID/IFF panels on coalition armor?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Echo23TC
March 30, 2003, 12:54 PM
They show up really well in the thermal night sights. If a vehicle has them, don't shoot it.

Vehicle I.D. at night sucks. The panels make it easier.

Pilgrim
March 30, 2003, 03:02 PM
Advertising panel? Like on the side of city buses?

DMK
March 30, 2003, 08:20 PM
Advertising panel? Like on the side of city buses? LOL. "Your ad here, Call 1-800-moretanks"

I've noticed orange panels on the tops of vehicles too.

What I never understood was why don't the Iraqis just put panels on their tanks. they put smokepots on them in the last war to fake being hit already. Are the panels made of some high tech stuff to reflect at a certain frequency or something?

CWL
March 30, 2003, 08:45 PM
The flourescent panels also provide for rapid identification from the air. Helps identification by planes & helos.

The colors change daily. Doubt Iraqis have selection of colored panels to drape over their vehicles/positions.

vitiaz
March 31, 2003, 12:30 AM
Found some info here on them,

http://call.army.mil/products/user-gui/95-3/chapter2.htm

Gewehr98
March 31, 2003, 02:06 PM
Not that the enemy would ever think to adopt the same signalling system to their tanks...:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "ID/IFF panels on coalition armor?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!