Watch your brass

PDA

Slinger
October 17, 2005, 04:53 PM
Took my wife to an outdoor range run by the DNR this past weekend. It is a small two lane range with earthen berms on three sides and railroad ties buried upright to staple your targets to. We were the only ones there for a little while and were joined by a gent with a lever action rifle and a .22 pistol. My wife and I were practicing with my 3 auto loading pistols taking turns with the gent with the rifle. A while later two "good ol' boys showed up with their AK-47 and set up on the picnic table next to ours. As we were loading magazines up on the table one of them unloads a 30 round mag ( rapid fire) at a target down range and showers my wife with at least half a dozen hot shell casings on her head, face and shoulders. Needless to say this put her in a foul mood,:mad: so we packed up to leave.

I know most of us are courteous to others when we go to the range, but there are allways a few that don't give a damn about whats going on around them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Watch your brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr_Moore
October 17, 2005, 04:56 PM
Very rude. Did they apologize?

Lupinus
October 17, 2005, 05:18 PM
moronicus idioticus, a species who's reproductive habbit's are growing

Slinger
October 17, 2005, 05:21 PM
There was no appology as they didn't even act like they knew what they were doing, even though she was saying ouch each time she was hit.

birdv
October 17, 2005, 05:39 PM
I try not to go to public ranges, but if I do I always go to the far left.
I have only had that happen once and one went down my shirt and another got in my shoe.

Hot brass will make you dance. :)

Pilgrim
October 17, 2005, 05:45 PM
When I shoot semi-auto rifles at the range, I try to get to the extreme right hand firing positions for just that reason.

Pilgrim

chickenfried
October 17, 2005, 05:47 PM
I dunnho I think complaining about hot brass from a bench neighbor ranks right up there with complaining about guns making loud noises.

Justin
October 17, 2005, 05:49 PM
Walter Mitty was practicing for when the zombie puma bears attack. You can't expect him to be courteous about spraying a little brass when practicing for such dire circumstances!

;)

Keaner
October 17, 2005, 06:13 PM
Gah, I am actually quite guilty of this :(

I shoot my M1 at a range, that even though it has dividers, they aren't nearly large enough. I attempt to take the rightmost stall, but when I cannot, and I cannot place a row between us, I sometimes will hit the person.

My M1 has a habit of ejecting "curveballs", where it'll go out straight, and curve back into the stall beside me! Sometimes, it goes high enough to clear the wall, so I sometimes do get it into the nearby stall.

Cacique500
October 17, 2005, 06:16 PM
I dunnho I think complaining about hot brass from a bench neighbor ranks right up there with complaining about guns making loud noises.

It's one thing to be hit by an occasional shell...that's expected. I think it's something altogether different when you get sprayed by some idiot rapid firing in a small area like that.

If I rapid fire with my AK or AR I always check to my right and give fair warning...fortunately my range is big enough that we are usually well spaced out anyway.

Hopefully Slinger this won't discourage your wife from going again...

Lupinus
October 17, 2005, 06:17 PM
Accident's happen. If I get hit with a hot brass Im not going to say anything unless it get's me someplace serious. Two and I will say excuse me, not rude, just excuse me so they know where it is going. Three and I will say watch your brass. He ignore's me and there's a fourth...well I will figure it out from there but two nice thing's said is enough for someone to know where their brass is going.

Kurush
October 17, 2005, 06:25 PM
Did you let him know he was causing a problem? If he didn't have electronic earmuffs he might not have heard your wife. I think everyone who shoots a semiauto has done this at some point, especially when firing an unfamiliar gun.

Heck one time I shot my CZ52 I couldn't find even one casing afterwards, all I could figure was they must have been thrown over 20 feet and landed on top of the berm.

pax
October 17, 2005, 06:30 PM
Well ... yes, mostly.

The only exception would be if there were room for the other guy to have set up far away, and instead he set up right next to you.

Slinger, did you & your wife have shooting glasses with sideshields, brimmed hats, and shirts that weren't open at the collar? If so, brass could be nothing but a nuisance. If not, y'all need to be more careful. Eyeballs only come two to a customer.

pax

oneshooter
October 17, 2005, 06:36 PM
Keaner,
The M1 Garand extractor/ejector system can be "tuned" to put the brass where you want them. My Nat Match M1 will pile the brass 2'to my left and 1' behind the action.:D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Missashot
October 17, 2005, 06:50 PM
Well, Never thought about that. :uhoh: Guess I've been guilty of "Brassing" people. I will have to make it a point to try to watch out for that from now on. :o
On the flip side though, I have been hit more than once, just didn't give it too much thought.
Lucky for me I don't guess I have upset anyone or gotten upset myself. Just something for me to watch for from now on. ;)

Monkeyleg
October 17, 2005, 06:54 PM
Our range has wooden boxes with screening on them, otherwise known as "brass catchers."

Polite people use them.

TexasRifleman
October 17, 2005, 07:26 PM
You should be complaining to the range to fix the problem really. Guns spew brass.

Should I stop shooting my AR if someone else is at the range with me?

Yes, the guys could have been somewhat nicer about it, but I'd direct my anger at a range that doesn't provide enough separation between shooters, or doesnt provide a barrier between shooters.

DelayedReaction
October 17, 2005, 07:30 PM
I'm 6'9" and have rather long arms, so the dividers at my pistol range aren't typically enough to prevent people from getting showered with my brass. Fortunately I have a 1911 so I don't dump out too much at once (slow fire, small mags, good times), but I still do my best to keep an eye on the wee folks beside me.

That, and I'm also buying a 686 sometime soon. Should eliminate my problems right then and there. :D

Dionysusigma
October 17, 2005, 07:32 PM
Once, after 30 rounds through my AK, I noticed that the guy who had been ~20' to my right was standing beside me. When I asked if I could help him, he smiled and asked me if he should go and get an umbrella. :o

I apologized and, as "revenge," let him empty one of my 40-rounders as I stood off to the side. When finished, he sighed and said that he would have to get one now. I still don't know to this day if he ever quit smiling. :D

chris in va
October 17, 2005, 07:34 PM
I would've looked at the trajectory of my own brass, maneuvered to their left and rattled off a couple mags.

Inconsiderate git 'er dun types piss me off. BTW, you leaving is exactly what they were trying to achieve.

KriegHund
October 17, 2005, 07:34 PM
There was no appology as they didn't even act like they knew what they were doing, even though she was saying ouch each time she was hit.

Shooting a gun rapidly is going to overcome an "ouch" on the noise level, even after shooting.

In my and many others book, the right to complain is lost once youve made the decision not to do anything about it.

If you had asked them to do something, then you would rightly complain.

Matthew748
October 17, 2005, 07:40 PM
I have to go with chickenfried on this. I make an effort to choose a sight well away from others when I am shooting my AK or FAL, but if it is a busy day I am not going pack up and leave simply because I am afraid that someone might get a teensy bit offended by some brass. I don’t expect any special treatment from fellow shooters either. One time I got a hot 30.06 case as fired from an M1 lodged between my elbow and shooting mat. It burned like crazy and left a bit of a scar, but I did not complain, it comes with the territory.

The fact that they set up right next to you was inconsiderate, but not necessarily malicious.

JohnKSa
October 17, 2005, 07:44 PM
Since there was no other shooting position, you can't blame them for where they set up.

They could have let you know before they started shooting, but then again, you should know as well as they do that brass would start flying, and where it was going to fly.

I tend to agree with the comment about flying brass and noise being standard hazards at a range.

If you don't like being hit with brass, take the left most position or stay back from the line while folks with semi-autos are shooting.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you--exactly what are you suggesting that they should have done differently?

m0ntels
October 17, 2005, 08:03 PM
I dont go to the public range anymore either, but I've been on both ends. I usually have a 22 auto or SKS with me. Both are guilty of flinging brass in the wrong spots. If I am stuck next to someone nice, I try and not shoot when they are, and I will even try and tilt the gun a bit to try an redirect the brass some other direction, to the sacrifice of my own shooting just to play fair.

On the other hand, if some goon keeps hitting me, the redirection of brass can work the other way too. I'll bury that guy in my rimfire and steel case shells!

The best story I got is from the private range actually. It wasnt crowed, just me, my brother, and 2 other guys shooting S&W autos. There is only room for about 6 people though, so we are still pretty close. I bring a medium sized box with me to pick up range brass and a few hulls if there are any. These guys have all their brass on the floor still so I know they dont reload. I keep getting pinged in the glasses by spent 9mm brass. I dont even say a word, move my stuff a foot over, and stick my brass box right where I was. Picked up about 3/4 of their spent cases without having to lift a finger :evil:

Worked for me!

Randy

Double Naught Spy
October 17, 2005, 08:09 PM
Holy cow, I have to go write this down on the calendar. JohnKSa and I are apparently in at least a general agreement!

Slinger, I don't know what to tell you because I don't really see that the guys were doing anything wrong. Granted, they did not go out of their way to be polite, but apparently you and your wife didn't go out of your way to ask them to stop, at least not from anything you described so far.

So your wife said, "Ouch" every time she was hit. Since the guy was apparently shooting rapid fire, he certainly may not have heard her.

There are several things I don't understand here.
First, once your wife started getting pelted, why did she not move away?

Second, saying "Ouch" is fine, but y'all apparently did NOTHING to educate the good ole boys and instead just left mad. So not only were you and your wife unhappy, you didn't do anything to make it better in the future. Coming online and complaining to us certainly isn't going to make things better. Chances are, none of us were those guys at your range.

Third, given that the shooter is supposed to be looking down range, did you ever consider he may not have known his brass was going to hit your wife and since he probably could not hear her saying ouch, he was oblivious. You didn't want him to turn and face the direction his brass was flying in order to see where it was landing while shooting in another direction, did you?

Fouth, you know you were at a range where people could setup where they wanted. You were there early. You and your wife did not set up on the far left side of the range where few folks get pelted with brass because most guns eject to the right. Have you not ever been to a range before? Getting hit by brass is one of those things that happens at a gun range. If you don't like it, then you need to go to a range that has shooting lanes that are physically separated from one another by barriers or you need to be smart in where you set up.

Fifth, tell your wife to wear a hat. Even a baseball cap fluffed a little above the scalp will mitigate most of the blow of flying brass, even from a heavier AK47 shell.

Yes, it was a sucky situation that probably could have been rescued quite easily. Sometimes something like flying brass can turn into a convenient way of meeting other shooters. After they finished, your wife could have said something in a nice way, or your could have, and the guy probably would have apologized. Heck, before the session was over, he might have been letting y'all shoot his AK as part of being a chagrinned shooter who intended no harm and wanted to make amends.

DrDremel
October 17, 2005, 08:11 PM
When shooting my subgun, I dump brass pretty quickly. The problem is not the shooter, but a piss poor range. That is like blaming a NASCAR driver for hitting a pothole in the track. Or blaming a pilot for turbluence.

71Commander
October 17, 2005, 08:12 PM
Occupational hazard. Don't like it but it's to be expected.:cool:

rick_reno
October 17, 2005, 08:29 PM
I get hit with hot brass on the line all the time while shooting a Bullseye match. Wear a hat and don't have shirts that let brass fall inside - those really hurt.

Kamicosmos
October 17, 2005, 08:49 PM
I have to agree with the Occupational Hazzard comments. Guns are loud and throw brass around.

Go to a tactical carbine class sometime. After you have 5 guys with ARs all around you, shooting all at once...you'll get over both the Noise and the Brass Pelting. ;)

I have used brass catchers at some ranges, but not out of 'consideration' for the other shooters. It's to catch my brass.

Now, if I realize I'm hitting someone, or their stuff, I'll adjust my position. I've have had people politely approach and tell me about brass, and I've done the same. I've never run into someone who was intentionally trying to hit people with brass, and I've only had a few rude jerks get all uptight when I pointed out their flying brass to them.

For the most part, I go to private ranges now, or ones that have the enclosed/walled off lanes. But I'm not real social anyways. :)

JohnKSa
October 17, 2005, 09:02 PM
Holy cow, I have to go write this down on the calendar. JohnKSa and I are apparently in at least a general agreement!No fair! I didn't get to read your opinion before I posted! :D ;)

Carlos
October 17, 2005, 10:39 PM
Well, either way, the fellas could have showed a little consideration. Sure, this is an occupational hazard, but come on, this is a small place. Polite words could have remedied the situation and both parties could have continued shooting.

DorGunR
October 17, 2005, 10:52 PM
Hopefully Slinger this won't discourage your wife from going again...

Trust me it won't............I've met and talked with the Slingers when they visited the Baltimore area..........they are both long time shooters. And very nice people I might add.

P95Carry
October 17, 2005, 11:38 PM
Folks can't always choose their shooting bench/position but anyone using AK, or handgun semi knows brass will be ejected and approximately where it will go.

The courtious and thoughtful move is to ask folks to your right if it is OK while you let lose. I have no objection to having a brief cease fire myself while standing back to let folks shoot to my left - it is a give and take deal - or should be.

I do not like selfish shooters and thank heaven rarely have to endure a public range. I know noise and brass are ''features'' of shooting but the noise is always there - we expect that and use ear protection but brass is not quite the same - again, it is consideration for others that makes or spoils a day at a public range.

oneslowgun
October 18, 2005, 01:20 AM
I have had this problem, and have caused this problem before. The way I have dealt with it, is to ask to swap lanes. I have never had anyone get upset, or refuse. I always try to make a joke about it, as in: "I just know you can't be shooting good groups with my brass whacking you in the head", or on the other side : " I'm not shooting that great today anyway, but I just can't seem to get the rhythm down shooting between your brass strikes". ;)

Stickjockey
October 18, 2005, 12:37 PM
I've met and talked with the Slingers when they visited the Baltimore area..........they are both long time shooters. And very nice people I might add.

So just to be sure, Slinger- you wouldn't be one of/related to our CSlinger or Sheslinger?

Too many slingers-

P0832177
October 18, 2005, 12:42 PM
Well when I was shooting HP I used to get a brass shower in RF prone strings at 300! Nothing like a 308 on the crease of the neck! It is worse when shooting prone at 600 just as break a shot! Ufda! I get showered with brass at one indoor range once in a while due to some odd bounces! I had one 9mm trapped between brigde of glasses and nose! Ouch!

:uhoh:

Omni04
October 18, 2005, 12:48 PM
just do what i do. Fire the gun upside down! fight fire with fire (or brass with brass)

Unfortunatley since i am kind of new to shooting ranges i feel very bad when my brass flies at the people next to me. Knob Creek is pretty packed on the weekends, sometimes i can't even find a spot, let alone one that will protect them from brass. Luckily they are only spent .22 casings, not those whopping .45's that seem to plague the left of me 90% of the time!

DorGunR
October 18, 2005, 12:50 PM
So just to be sure, Slinger- you wouldn't be one of/related to our CSlinger or Sheslinger?

Too many slingers-
Stickjockey, those are the Slingers I was talking about............mow I'm confused.:scrutiny:

silverlance
October 18, 2005, 02:36 PM
about two inches above my family jewels.

eight years ago, i was 18 and i had just gotten my xm15 (now stolen.. sob*). i went to the range, got down in a kneeling position, did my breath, focused in on the fs post....

YEEEWWWOOOOOWWW!!!

brass casing from a s**** walther ppk hit me square in the back of the neck and went runnign down my shirt. I stand up (nearly smacking my gun into the concrete) and pluck furiously at the back of my shirt to get it out.

YEEEWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWOWOOWWOO!

another brass casing from said ppk goes down the FRONT of my shirt, straight down my belly...

I pluck furiously at that one now, my rifle's on the table (safely pointed), i'm starting to dance...

and then i feel the shell drop right into my undies.

i did some very quick thinking! and decided that a nasty burn in the bush is better than a nasty burn to that most delicate of instruments...

when all the sizzling was over, i turned to the left...

and there was this big fat jerk, grinning like a hyena, laughing at my poor misery..

ooooohhhh

after that, i went back to my car, put my poncho on, and returned determinedly to my station. 640 rounds later, i was a much happier camper... but i never offered mr. bond a chance to shoot my gun! (i usually offer to everyone)

gunsmith
October 18, 2005, 02:43 PM
I find it hard to believe!

double n! better go play the lotto or something ...I know I am!

Kurush
October 18, 2005, 03:48 PM
One time I was at an indoor range with electronic target carriers, I was wearing shorts (bad idea I admit) and the genius next to me shoots his 357 straight into the top of the carrier at close range. I felt a sting as a sliver of jacket ricocheted off and smacked me in the calf. It didn't break the skin but I was terrified to look down at my leg for a second there :uhoh:

johnnymenudo
October 18, 2005, 04:14 PM
Why is it that men complain when their girlfriends or wives get hit with brass? I think a reason for it is that men wear hats and long pants and long sleeved shirts to the range. I am generalizing, but in my experience women often dress at the range like they are at a picnic. Shorts, no hat, sandals, and shirts combined with certain anatomical considerations that can catch brass. If you are dressed properly brass hitting you should not be a problem.

I agree with the above posters that say getting hit by brass is a hazard of the activity.

JM

pax
October 18, 2005, 04:34 PM
johnnymenudo ~

Just so you know, those certain anatomical considerations mean that nothing short of a turtleneck is guaranteed to stop brass. Might as well be comfortable, and take your chances.

pax

Keaner
October 18, 2005, 04:36 PM
To tell you the truth, I never dress special to shoot. Usually its just sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt, but sometimes I go in my work clothes (dress shoes, slacks, and a polo shirt).

I have been burned a few times, but good space selection, and a polite neighbor can make sure you never have trouble.

Creeping Incrementalism
October 18, 2005, 04:59 PM
Someone should write a letter to Miss Manners to find out the right way to handle these situations.

Janitor
October 18, 2005, 05:10 PM
I'm 6'9" and have rather long arms, ...
Holy cow!

... but I still do my best to keep an eye on the wee folks beside me.
Ahh, and to be sure, we appreciate it laddy.

:D

Stickjockey
October 18, 2005, 07:55 PM
Stickjockey, those are the Slingers I was talking about............mow I'm confused

I'm wondering if we ight be dealing with three Slingers: CSlinger and SheSlinger, the husband/wife team we all know and love, and a new and different Slinger, the originator of this thread.

Sorry for the hijack...

ny32182
October 18, 2005, 08:17 PM
I've pegged people with brass, and been pegged. Countless times. As far as I'm concerned, its a hazard of being at the range with others. Thats what eye protection and wearing the right clothing are for.

ny32182
October 18, 2005, 08:19 PM
I'll also add that I dislike the dividers at many pistol ranges. I'd rather be pegged with brass than not be able to see where the guy in the lane next to me is pointing his muzzle. A simple screen for a divider would be best, but most places seem to insist on using plywood.

I get nervous when I can't keep an eye on the guy in the next lane with the shoulder holster.

el44vaquero
October 18, 2005, 08:43 PM
I never did understand about people complaining about guns being too loud. It's the nature of the beast. Any .44 mag snub is going to make some noise when actually shooting the mags instead of the specials. (Although specials out of a snub are pretty loud too) Muffs and Earplugs are a must.

Hardware
October 18, 2005, 09:53 PM
My WASR-10 ejects forward and to the right. Why would someone be standing in front of the firing line on a hot range? :neener:

pezo
October 18, 2005, 10:32 PM
I shoot revolvers but still dont mind getting "plinged" with some empites occasionally from the guy next to me shooting the auto. I just ignore it. Now I have never been "showered" with rapid fired hot shells before. I do get a little p....ed when I go to an almost empty range and am situated next to the only other person in there to their right and they have an auto loader. its like if you can just seperate us a little more that would be cool or to the person's left.

Slinger
October 18, 2005, 10:55 PM
Folks

I've been shooting for over 25 years. I hope I didn't come across like a crybaby with my hot brass story. Yes, we should have moved but as we all know when squeezing off rounds as fast as you can the casings are flying as fast as the bullets. The Incident took place in the space of about 30 seconds.

As far as my mysterious identity, I have never been to Baltimore. My nickname " Slinger" comes from a nickname from work relating to my autobody repair trade (bondo slinger). Not from Gun Slinger.

Thanks for all your interesting feedback. I'm sure the wife and I will be back at the range, but we'll take the spot on the far left. (Don't tell Rush Limbaugh).

Gewehr98
October 18, 2005, 11:05 PM
But if he dumps enough rapid-fire hot stuff down my neck, I'll politely ask if he can put a target stand with cardboard backer up between our benches. If he tells me to piss off, I'll grab the Czech VZ-52 rifle, load up a clip, and continue to shoot that. (They eject vigorously and directly to the left) ;)

johnnymenudo
October 19, 2005, 12:38 AM
johnnymenudo ~

Just so you know, those certain anatomical considerations mean that nothing short of a turtleneck is guaranteed to stop brass. Might as well be comfortable, and take your chances.

pax

You gotta do what makes ya happy.

JM

c_yeager
October 19, 2005, 02:35 AM
As we were loading magazines up on the table one of them unloads a 30 round mag ( rapid fire) at a target down range and showers my wife with at least half a dozen hot shell casings on her head, face and shoulders.

Either your wife is one fast talker or we have *very* different definitions of what "rapid fire" means with an EBR.

I'm not really impressed with the passive-aggressive means of dealing with the problem here. Why do you expect people to stop doing something that annoys you if you dont take the time to ask them? If it wasnt important enough for you to deal with then why should it have been important enough for them?

Adept
October 19, 2005, 03:04 AM
Two things.

1 - It's rude to upset someone else and not try to make ammends. If I'm at a nightclub, and I bump into someone, I apologise. I know bumping into people is just something that happens in a nightclub, but it's still good manners to apologise. If these people realised they were showering you in spent casings, they should have apologised and offered to make amends (swap positions, move to your right, put up a barrier, whatever)

2 - When someone does something like this, it often pays to politely point out the problem, and attempt to negotiate a solution. Failing to do so, and instead leaving in a huff was probably not the best course of action.

berettashotgun
October 19, 2005, 06:16 AM
When Sandy and I were at the range last, some moron's with Ak's, SKS, and a CETME, decided to set up NEXT to us~ outdoor,open, with 20 yards of space available. We had set up with bench vise's, and unpacked alot of stuff. Those a$$ho!%$ IGNORED me when I asked them to move down a little, cause we didn't want to get showered with brass. SO I HAD TO GET OUT THE BAZOOKA'S with muzzle breaks.:evil: A 7mm RUM, a 7mm STW, a 300 RUM, and a 375 RUM.:evil: :evil: We use earmuffs & earplugs everytime we shoot just for reasons I mentioned above- those retards weren't quite prepared for the hurt. It was so funny we were laughing uncontrolably out loud, waiting for the '***** to get ready to load a magazine or pull the trigger- I was making them jump with the 7mmSTW- it has a factory remy break on it and seems the highest pitch.But I really got their attention with the 375RUM, I moved the rifle as far back under the roof as I could get, and let'er rip- end of problem. I think they got some serious head aches, not to mention on the last shot the muzzle blast actually got a puff of wind to move the guys hat. HAHAHAHAHAHA

StopTheGrays
October 19, 2005, 02:42 PM
berettashotgun-

+1, I have done that with my Marlin guide gun in 45-70 a few times. The short one with the ported barrel. Some how the annoyance next to me always seems to move down a table after a couple of shots. :D

MAUSER88
October 19, 2005, 02:57 PM
When I was young and dumb I loaded up a 30 round mag for my semi-auto Thompson and let her rip. Guy standing to my right got showered with a load of hot .45 brass. Some down his back and some into the cup of coffee he was holding. I didn't realize what was happening till it was over and his Buddy's were rolling on the floor laughing. I felt horrible not realizing where my spent brass was landing. I apologised profusely and believe me it NEVER happened again.
Funny thing about the whole mess was the guy wasn't mad at all!!

Dr.Rob
October 19, 2005, 02:59 PM
How's that guide gun on hybrids? (stops the grays pretty good I'd wager)

On watching brass...

recently at a THR shoot I whacked a friend's Chrono with brass from my prewar Colt Government model... he joked that I'd SHOT his chrono... yipes!

I've been hit between the eyes by flying brass hard enough to break the skin and bleed at an indoor range WITH dividers seperating the shooting stations (eyes and ears folks, eys and ears) said brass was .45 cal and bounced off the safety barrier in FRONT of the shooting lanes, bounced back and dinged me.

Always keep your 'ejection lane' in mind, esp with a rifle. Note that when "room clearing" an IDPA side match with an AK... the brass may indeed richochet back at the shooter/safety officer/spectators with glee.

A scrap piece of carpet is a perfect brass deflector.

You cannot tell where the barss From a Luger will go... but OFTEN it goes straight up in the air and behind you... much to the dismay of the people behind you. Keep this in mind if you see me handling my Luger.

Hot brass down your shorts is never a fun experience. .22's are the usual suspects when it comes to hot brass down your shorts.

Art Eatman
October 19, 2005, 05:47 PM
Reading through this thread makes me think it was worth it, working my tail off to have a place where the benchrest is on the front porch and the pistol range is in the back yard. Defintely worth it, all those years!

I dunno, though. If I'm gonna do rapid fire with a brass thrower, I'm gonna work with the neighbors on the downstream side. Warn'em, give'em a chance to step back, some such deal. Preferably, of course, be on their off side so it's no problem, if possible.

Or, wait a while until some space opens up, if people are in the "coming and going" sort of process...

Common courtesy, seems to me. Seems to be in short supply, these days.

Art

Nail Shooter
October 20, 2005, 07:12 AM
quote:

"I try not to go to public ranges, but if I do I always go to the far left."

Good advice.

How could anyone NOT KNOW to stay left of someone shooting a semi auto?:uhoh: Always be aware of what others are getting ready to shoot in adjacent lanes.

Don't know how the lady got struck by the AK brass, everyone I've ever seen ejects FORWARD and right. She must have been literally inches away from the ejection port. Of all of the guns that I own, the AK is the most violent of all as far as tossing brass. If you want your lady to continue to go shooting with you don't let her get burned/struck--esp by rifle brass of all things.:eek:

benEzra
October 20, 2005, 12:11 PM
Should I stop shooting my AR if someone else is at the range with me?
A little consideration goes a long way. "Excuse me, my rifle ejects brass to the right, so please let me know if it gets to be a problem" or somesuch. As the guy with the "AK", I always want to be the opposite of the media stereotype of EBR owners. And without fail, if I'm polite, the response has always been, "No, you're fine. Go ahead."

I've offered to trade places before, and if someone ever sets up to my right, I'm always careful to watch the first few cases to make sure they're not going in their direction. Of course, my first centerfire rifle was a mini-14, which shoots in two directions at once when you fire it (has thrown brass 30 feet on occasion...)

Gewehr98
October 20, 2005, 09:27 PM
How could anyone NOT KNOW to stay left of someone shooting a semi auto?

Read my post above. I've got a semiauto milsurp that ejects briskly to the left. Payback and all...

Don't know how the lady got struck by the AK brass, everyone I've ever seen ejects FORWARD and right. She must have been literally inches away from the ejection port.

As a range officer, I've seen many an AK and SKS throw brass so violently that it bounces off the ceiling and support bracing of our covered firing line, and land on the hapless shooter at the adjacent bench. I've also found 7.62x39 brass stuck case mouth first in the above lumber, so it definitely had some velocity going for it.

Nail Shooter
October 21, 2005, 08:18 PM
Quote:

Nail Shooter, it isn't always how things happen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
How could anyone NOT KNOW to stay left of someone shooting a semi auto?

Read my post above. I've got a semiauto milsurp that ejects briskly to the left. Payback and all...

Gewehr98'

I DID read your post. :rolleyes: I still stand by my advice. One should ALWAYS get to the left of someone shooting a semi auto if at all possible. On the rare occasion that doesn't work, then adjust. Anyone that's shot a time or two can usually figure that out pretty quickly.

I would never advocate puposely showering someone else w/ brass even as "payback". It is my personal opinion that people involved in our sport can do better than that. I go to the range to have fun. If people are intent on playing games, I'd rather leave than risk injury.

Kim
October 21, 2005, 11:53 PM
Well being a woman if some guys hot ammo goes down the front of my shirt I figure it is flirting. If it happens again I think he is just a rude dude. :evil:

DeadCalm
October 22, 2005, 12:43 AM
In this context, anyone have any suggestions for tuning a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle so that it doesn't launch brass from h*** to breakfast? Most land behind, but good lord, the stuff jumps about two or three benches down-port. (Excuse me while I scrounge my brass at your bench while you shoot. ):o Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Watch your brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!