How do you aim with both eyes open?

PDA

Spec ops Grunt
October 17, 2005, 06:28 PM
I heard some people say it is better to aim with both eyes open. I try to do it and I cant even align the sights! How do you do it?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you aim with both eyes open?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XLMiguel
October 17, 2005, 06:41 PM
It takes practice. A lot. Start with your traditional one-eyed sighting, once you get your sights set, open the other eye and concentrate on your sight picture. Proceed as normal. For some folks, it settles out pretty quickly, for others, it takes a while. I find that when I'm shooting farily regularly, the habit holds up pretty well. If I don't shoot for a while, I have to retrain, but it comes back quicly. Once I got it down, I found my accuratcy improved (YMMV). HTH, good luck.

mete
October 17, 2005, 06:53 PM
If your eyes are normal , you have a dominant eye. The dominant eye takes over and you aim with that.Find out which is your dominant hand and dominant eye.

Spec ops Grunt
October 17, 2005, 06:59 PM
If your eyes are normal , you have a dominant eye. The dominant eye takes over and you aim with that.Find out which is your dominant hand and dominant eye.

That would be my left.

Quantrill
October 17, 2005, 07:42 PM
The main reason to sight with both eyes open is to increase your periphial vision to watch out for bad things or people who could be a threat. I learned to do it by squinting my non-dominant eye gradually increasing the opening until both eyes stay open during sighting. It DOES take time and practice. Quantrill

Larry Ashcraft
October 17, 2005, 07:58 PM
LOTS of time and practice. I grew up hunting with a shotgun and still naturally shoot with both eyes open with a shotgun. I still don't have enough practice to habitually do it with a handgun.

At a CCW class a couple weeks ago, I'm sure I shot most of the targets with one eye closed or at least squinted. On the last test, the trainer stood me about six feet in front a motorized IPSC target and said "React!". The target charged me and I put three bullets COM in a three inch group, while backing up, before the target had moved four feet.

Playing it back in my mind, I realized I had kept both eyes open on those last shots, so I guess instinct and training come into play under pressure.

Ryder
October 17, 2005, 08:13 PM
I squint with the eye you are closing. View from the wide open eye is brighter and clearer but I can still see out of both eyes.

antsi
October 17, 2005, 08:19 PM
I heard some people say it is better to aim with both eyes open. I try to do it and I cant even align the sights! How do you do it?

Sometimes if you just momentarily blink your nondominant eye and align your sight picture, you can then open the nondominant eye without losing your sight picuture. If you practice this a lot you eventually will not need to blink the nondominant eye and will obtain the correct sight picture automatically.

Also, as I am just now noticing, I tend to turn my head slightly to favor my dominant eye. I'm not sure if that's really a good thing, but in play-sighting along my finger just now, it is evident that I do this.

DelayedReaction
October 17, 2005, 08:32 PM
It just takes practice, for me it took about a month or so. You want to get in the habit of doing it though, as otherwise the eye you're closing starts to get strained and starts to ache.

Avenger29
October 17, 2005, 08:35 PM
Well, for me, I can only do it with one of my rifles. I have a Win. 69 with the peep sight. It aims better with both eyes open for me. I can't do it with my other rifles, which all have the convential blade rear sight...It works out to what works best for you, not someone else.

Wiley
October 17, 2005, 08:48 PM
Put a small peice of Scotch tape (the foggy suff, not the clear) on your shooting glasses over the pupil of the 'off' eye. This will haze your vision in that eye forcing the other eye to be dominant.

What you are trying to do is keep the distance vision of two eyes and also relax your facial muscles allowing more relaxed and accurate shooting.

Standing Wolf
October 17, 2005, 09:30 PM
When old timer bullseye shooters suggested I try shooting with both eyes open, I gave it a try. It took a couple weeks to get the hang of it. I shot better.

Unfortunately, as my eyes have aged, my ability to see with both eyes open has diminished, and anyway, I've all but completely switched to red dot sights.

It was great while it worked.

Boss Spearman
October 17, 2005, 10:23 PM
I have lazy eye. I shoot right handed, except for rifles which I have to shoot left handed. My right eye is lazy, so my left eye is dominant. Because of this, I have always shot with both eyes open.

Lucky
October 17, 2005, 11:56 PM
Yea I got that too! I never noticed, no-one ever noticed, but one time a doctor covered one eye and told me to focus on a pencil she held up, and when she uncovered the other eye it swiveled onto the pencil. She said if it was normal it would have already been pointing at the pencil.

So yea, I guess we are gifted for shooting with eyes open! Closing one eye is uncomfortable, and honestly my squinting muscles got tired a lot. And then I'd open both eyes and shoot 'the wrong way' while they rested. I always thought it was a bad habit, until I looked into it and saw it's not!

For how other people can do it, you should see 2 pistols, right? Well, you pick one, and line the sights up. That's all. You remember which is which, and line the sights up.

And the really cool thing is that you can use both eyes open even with magnification scopes, too. You sort of lean towards the right, inside your head, and you are seeing the magnified image. And then you are only slightly aware of what's going on that your left eye sees. And then you think about your left eye, and you are only slightly aware what the scope sees.

For what it's worth, maybe that's why my friends call me Iguana.

(just kidding, lol, but it would be fun to have independent control of each eye)

thorn726
October 18, 2005, 04:12 AM
NICE! mike in Va confirms what i have been experiencing-

align the sights first, then the target. i basically try to "float" the lined up sights over the target.

i wanted to give up and just go one eye but my expert buddy (who will one day become computer literate enough to post here himself) was also suggesting two eyes.
in a situation, both eyes are open to begin with, plus you retain more peripheral

its wack for me though, starting to think i need glasses. left handed but right eye dominant BIG time also confusing things

Too Many Choices!?
October 18, 2005, 04:15 AM
:scrutiny:, simple as that :)

ChickenHawk
October 18, 2005, 02:24 PM
I agree with all the posts that say it takes time to get used to it, but it IS worth it.

I am a MUCH better shot since I have adjusted to both-eyes-open.

One point not previously mentioned here: Remember to practice focusing ON YOUR SIGHTS. When my vision used to blur I found I was trying to focus through the sights onto the target.

Good luck,
ChickenHawk

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you aim with both eyes open?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!