Gun store burglarized, and police won't comment

PDA

Monkeyleg
October 17, 2005, 07:40 PM
I was at The Shooters Shop this afternoon, and one of the salesmen mentioned that the other big shop in the city had been burglarized over the weekend. Supposedly the burglar(s) cut a hole in the roof above the range.

What's weird is that there was no mention of the incident in the newspaper.

So, out of a combination of noseyness and just plain boredom, I called the West Milwaukee police department. I got shuffled from one person to another, and then finally was told that they don't release that kind of information, but I could file an open records request.

Is this SOP for police departments?

Also, this is supposedly the second time in three weeks that the store has been burglarized.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun store burglarized, and police won't comment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
patrol120
October 17, 2005, 08:17 PM
Sounds like an ongoing investigation. Most places will not release info on such, as it could compromise the case.

M-Rex
October 17, 2005, 08:22 PM
Yes, that is normal. No hidden agenda.

Monkeyleg
October 18, 2005, 01:23 AM
OK, sounds reasonable. However, the press has not reported this.

Why?

4v50 Gary
October 18, 2005, 01:25 AM
That the press doesn't hit the panic end-of-the-world news release is amazing. Actually, it may suggest that they're cooperating with an ongoing police investigation.

artherd
October 18, 2005, 04:13 AM
Supposedly the burglar(s) cut a hole in the roof above the range. :what:
Security is relative.

johnnymenudo
October 18, 2005, 01:36 PM
Without a doubt, the easiest way to get into many homes (besides a brick home) is a reciprocating saw right through a wall. Vinyl siding and 2X4's cut like butter. A roof seems like an ideal point of entry in a brick building. It also gives you cover as you are hidden from view of street level.

JM

Larry Ashcraft
October 18, 2005, 01:55 PM
Stuff not getting reported happens here all the time. Seems the City PD will send the reports to the newspaper, but the County Sheriff's office usually doesn't bother.

Master Blaster
October 18, 2005, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry but this is stupid crapolla. Very very stupid on the part of the police.

The reason for the secrecy is????????????

The Burglars know they broke into the store right?, they also know that its been reported to the police and the police will be looking for them right????

A local store here in DE was hit a couple of years ago, and over 150 firearms were taken, after the burglars ran a large stollen truck through the front of the store. The police kept it a secret and 3 months later finally let the news paper print the story. Since folks who are in the firearms community did not know about this they were unable to report any suspicious activity or sales to the police.

The store owner was VERY VERY VERY PISSED that the the police kept it a secret, because a week later another store was hit the same way, and that owner had no idea that the first store was hit. Nor did anyone know to keep a look out for sale of the stollen firearms.

To date 12 of the 150+ firearms have been recovered, all as they were used in crimes.

The police made no arrests to date NONE.

You see if its a secret people dont know to be on the look out, or cant tell the police that they were in 7-11 at 2:00 am and saw the truck with the front end damage, or they saw four suspicious characters loading a truck next door at 3:00 am. etc.

why did the po po keep it a secret I have No idea do you????????????????

M-Rex
October 18, 2005, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry but this is stupid crapolla. Very very stupid on the part of the police.

The Burglars know they broke into the store right?, they also know that its been reported to the police and the police will be looking for them right????

A local store here in DE was hit a couple of years ago, and over 150 firearms were taken, after the burglars ran a large stollen truck through the front of the store. The police kept it a secret and 3 months later finally let the news paper print the story. Since folks who are in the firearms community did not know about this they were unable to report any suspicious activity or sales to the police.

The store owner was VERY VERY VERY PISSED that the the police kept it a secret, because a week later another store was hit the same way, and that owner had no idea that the first store was hit. Nor did anyone know to keep a look out for sale of the stollen firearms.

To date 12 of the 150+ firearms have been recovered, all as they were used in crimes.

The police made no arrests to date NONE.

You see if its a secret people dont know to be on the look out, or cant tell the police that they were in 7-11 at 2:00 am and saw the truck with the front end damage, or they saw four suspicious characters loading a truck next door at 3:00 am. etc.

why did the po po keep it a secret I have No idea do you????????????????

They've secretly tracked all the missing firearms to your house. The 'po-po' are part of a vast conspiracy of high-power corporate types, UN secret agents, and alien abductors. They'll be flying their black helicopters over your house tonight to take all the rest of your guns, and collect DNA. Oh, the Counsel on Foreign Relations, the Skull and Bones, the Bilderbergers, and the Illuminati are all in on it too. I could tell you more, but 'they' are watching me.:rolleyes:

Good gravy. Will you calm down a little?

Andrew Rothman
October 18, 2005, 02:30 PM

The police kept it a secret and 3 months later finally let the news paper print the story.

Sorry, but that is ignorant crapola.

The police can't keep the newspaper from printing what they know. It's in the Constitution. The paper can read some police reports, talk to owners, witnesses and neighbors, and otherwise conduct their own investigation.

In both cases, it may be that a) the newspaper missed it, or b) the newspaper found the story less than newsworthy.

News Shooter
October 18, 2005, 02:34 PM
why a gun store would not have motion detecting alarms inside?

Byron Quick
October 18, 2005, 02:41 PM
Vote Libertarian and it will all go away.

I was enjoying your post until I ran into this. You've hurt my feelings. Does this mean we're not friends anymore? I don't know if I could bear it if I thought we weren't friends.:D

M-Rex
October 18, 2005, 02:52 PM
I was enjoying your post until I ran into this. You've hurt my feelings. Does this mean we're not friends anymore? I don't know if I could bear it if I thought we weren't friends.:D

Previous post edited. No harm. No foul.

Bonus +5 to you for a great Tombstone quote.

LawDog
October 18, 2005, 03:09 PM

If you want a real education into how strange some people can be, man the 911 desk or services number at your local PD.

Everytime a story about a crime hits the news, you get people calling in to confess. Pain in the tuckuss to spend two days investigating a confession, only to find out that the confessee was actually in jail for PI at the time of the crime. :cuss:

Also, the fact that the general crime hasn't hit the news is more likely a function of your newspaper/television staff, rather than the PD.

LawDog

c_yeager
October 19, 2005, 04:31 AM
This may suprise you, but your local police deptarment probably does not write your local newspaper.

Master Blaster
October 19, 2005, 02:50 PM
Sorry, but that is ignorant crapola.

The police can't keep the newspaper from printing what they know. It's in the Constitution. The paper can read some police reports, talk to owners, witnesses and neighbors, and otherwise conduct their own investigation.

Yes but they can sit on the information, not alert other gun stores and pawn shops, and thats exactly what they did. The owner of the store was told by the detective investigating the case not to tell anyone about it or comment should the news paper call him, because it would compromise the investigation. And he being a good citizen listened.

The paper can read some police reports

Actually they cant read the police report if its confidential to protect the investigation, which it was.

patrol120
October 19, 2005, 03:14 PM
By law, the actual report may be confidential, but the the crime itself is not. The time, place, date, etc are easily accessible under Freedom of Information.

Monkeyleg
October 19, 2005, 07:20 PM
c_yeager: "This may suprise you, but your local police deptarment probably does not write your local newspaper."

Obviously true. The thing is, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has been relentless in its negative coverage of this store for years. If everybody around here seems to know about it, chances are the newspaper does as well.

My guess is that the police asked that they sit on the story while the investigation continues.

Andrew Rothman
October 19, 2005, 10:46 PM
My guess is that the police asked that they sit on the story while the investigation continues.

Weeeeelll, maybe. But usually, nothing sends a story to press faster than a paper being told to hold off.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun store burglarized, and police won't comment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!