Small ring or large ring Mauser?

PDA

M-Rex
October 18, 2005, 02:55 AM
Are Swedish Mausers (M/38) considered to be small ring or large ring? I have one that's been previously 'sporterized' (read chopped) and I'm looking to restock it and fix it up a bit. I'm looking at Boyd gunstocks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Small ring or large ring Mauser?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mr.trooper
October 18, 2005, 03:07 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

The third comand ment of gun-ownership is: "Thou Shalt Not Sporterize thine Mil Surp."

It comes right after the second comandment of: "Thou Shalt Not purchase the work of thine Bubba; For sportarizing is an abomination unto the Lord."

Combining the two is a cardinal SIN! This is only made worse by the fact that is a SWEEDE! The finest of all Mausers! For that, whoever hacked it up gets a free ticket to hell.:evil:

in the way of actualy answering your question, i dont realy know. Iv got a M38 myself, and iv asked the same question many a time on internet forums. Iv goten a different answer every time. So just sit back and enjoy it.

M-Rex
October 18, 2005, 03:18 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

The third comand ment of gun-ownership is: "Thou Shalt Not Sporterize thine Mil Surp."

It comes right after the second comandment of: "Thou Shalt Not purchase the work of thine Bubba; For sportarizing is an abomination unto the Lord."

Combining the two is a cardinal SIN! This is only made worse by the fact that is a SWEEDE! The finest of all Mausers! For that, whoever hacked it up gets a free ticket to hell.:evil:

in the way of actualy answering your question, i dont realy know. Iv got a M38 myself, and iv asked the same question many a time on internet forums. Iv goten a different answer every time. So just sit back and enjoy it.

Amen, my brother. Amen. Praise the Lord and pass the ammo.

I restore milsurps as a hobby. I have an M/38 that is in nice shape. This one was previously 'sporterized' by another owner. I figured I'd clean it up a bit to, at least, make it acceptable.

Cosmoline
October 18, 2005, 04:05 AM
Yeah, they're small ring.

The_Antibubba
October 18, 2005, 04:06 AM
Large ring? Small ring? What does this refer to?

Pictures are always helpful.

Sleeping Dog
October 18, 2005, 07:51 AM
The Swede model 1896 is certainly small-ring. IIRC, some were chopped by Swedish Govt to make a carbine-length 1938. Then, some new guns were model 1938.

Does your 38 cock on closing, like a Brit SMLE? Or cock on opening, like a "normal" bolt gun. If the former, it's small-ring.

Is the front ring, where the barrel screws in, "fatter" than the rest of the receiver? If so, it's large-ring. If it's the same "fatness" as the rest of the receiver, it's small ring.

If this was previously sporterized, then any "fixing" you do won't lower its historical value. Got pictures? How was it sporterized?

Regards.

rbernie
October 18, 2005, 08:39 AM
As far as I know, all Swedes are small ring.

The small ring Mauser is the first generation of modern Mausers. Examples include the '91, '93 Spanish/Turkish, '94 Swedish, '95 Chilean, and '96 Swedish. The small ring Mauser uses a receiver 'ring' (the part that the barrel screws into) that is approx. 1.3" in diameter. Later Mauser rifles used a receiver with a receiver ring that measured 1.4" in diameter, hence their name of 'large ring' and the naming of the prior 1.3" ring diameter receivers as 'small ring'.

There are evolutionary differences as you progress from the '91 small ring to the '98 large ring; the most notable are the inclusion of a safety lug on the bolt, gas venting in the bolt and receiver, and the redesign of the cocking sleeve to act as a gas shield in the event of a primer/case rupture.

Swampy
October 18, 2005, 08:45 AM
Swede Mauser = small ring.

Swampy

Garands forever

Gewehr98
October 18, 2005, 08:52 AM
Swedish Mausers, be they the M94 (wish I had one), M96, M96/38, or M38, are all small ring, and should stay chambered in the cartridges best suited for that pattern of receiver. ;)

daniel (australia)
October 18, 2005, 10:13 AM
Boyds groups the 93, 94, 95 and 96 together and calls them "small ring": http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/receivers5.htm

"Small ring" is also often used to describe a different action altogether: a variant of the Mauser 98 action used on certain carbines like the 98a and 33/40. The small ring 98 actions differ from the large ring 98 by having the 1.30" receiver ring like the earlier Mausers, rather than the 1.41" of the standard "large ring" 98. However they do not have the same dimensions as the earlier actions in several other important respects as they generally share the "large ring" length, guard screw spacing etc.

It would be important therefore to check, at least if one was not buying a Boyds stock, what precisely is being described by "small ring Mauser"

BTW there are also "short" 98 actions, such as the Mexican, and both large ring and small ring variants thereof :uhoh:

M-Rex
October 18, 2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys.

I have one M/38 in original condition. It's my baby.

The particular one that was sporterized, I received from a friend. Someone else had already 'sporterized' it by tapping it for a scope mount, and cutting the barrel down. It's ugly as 10 miles of bad road. I figured I'd try to spruce it up a bit to make it, at least, acceptable in my eyes.

It's a shame every time someone chops up one of the old battle rifles.:(

rbernie
October 18, 2005, 01:53 PM
The small ring 98 actions differ from the large ring 98 by having the 1.30" receiver ring like the earlier Mausers, rather than the 1.41" of the standard "large ring" 98. However they do not have the same dimensions as the earlier actions in several other important respects as they generally share the "large ring" length, guard screw spacing etc. Interestingly, I had a FN '98 small ring commercial production rifle for a while, and it indeed had the small-ring (intermediate large-ring) trigger guard spacing . But I could, of course, use the large-ring stocks and trigger guards intended for the intermediate large rings as well as use the small-ring stuff.....

The particular one that was sporterized, I received from a friend.Nothing wrong with trying to turn it into something useful. I have a handful of small-ring Mausers and Enfields wearing Boyds stocks for just this reason, and they hunt just fine. :D

jefnvk
October 18, 2005, 02:04 PM
The particular one that was sporterized, I received from a friend. Someone else had already 'sporterized' it by tapping it for a scope mount, and cutting the barrel down. It's ugly as 10 miles of bad road. I figured I'd try to spruce it up a bit to make it, at least, acceptable in my eyes.

Since there is nothing you can do about that, may I suggest that it would make an EXCELLENT deer gun?

Crosshair
October 18, 2005, 03:43 PM
I have one of the 1916 Spanish Mausers. It is a small ring action and chambered for .308. It is quite a nice rifle. I need to work on the trigger a bit and I am going to add a "no gunsmithing" scope mount to it.:) Other than that it is staying the way it is.

confed sailor
October 18, 2005, 09:20 PM
any experience with the samco barreled actions?

i purchased 2 96's at a gun show, package deal. but one turned out to be a drill rifle only (chamber full of weld metal) and a B barrel too:cuss:

but the stock is immaculate and im thinking about putting a barreled action in it.
anything i should know?

as for the ruined one, im going to save the receiver and build a custom job.
AND I DONT WANT ANY WHINING!!!
i figure putting an action in the military stock and making a new 96 gives me the right to use the old action as i see fit.

cracked butt
October 19, 2005, 09:51 AM
i figure putting an action in the military stock and making a new 96 gives me the right to use the old action as i see fit.

I figure owning a rifle or parts of a rifle is enough to allow a guy to do what he sees fit with them:)

jefnvk
October 19, 2005, 02:51 PM
as for the ruined one, im going to save the receiver and build a custom job.
AND I DONT WANT ANY WHINING!!!

If it is already ruined, no problem

confed sailor
October 19, 2005, 10:55 PM
i know, but there are some who if you even think the word "rebarrel" they pitch a fit.

figure owning a rifle or parts of a rifle is enough to allow a guy to do what he sees fit with them
that might be true, but either you end up a pariah at the range i use, or they wont shut-up long enough for you to take a shot.:banghead:

i guess im stuck shootin with a bunch of purists. bugger all:p

If you enjoyed reading about "Small ring or large ring Mauser?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!