Fluted Crimp on Winchester .30-30 Ammo?

PDA

GunAdmirer
October 18, 2005, 11:37 AM
I noticed on a new box of Winchester .30-30 ammo that the bullets were crimped with an unusual crimp. The crimp wasn't smooth all the way around but looked like a pie crust. Firing them took some of the "fluting" out. Is this brass okay to reload? What is the advantage to this type of crimp?

If you enjoyed reading about "Fluted Crimp on Winchester .30-30 Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
October 18, 2005, 11:52 AM
Go ahead and reload them. The expander ball will iron out the crimp although there will still be marks showing.

Advantage? Cheap and fast in mass production equipment. Secure in a tube magazine.

The Bushmaster
October 18, 2005, 09:46 PM
Decap, clean, resize, trim if needed, reprime, drop the correct amount of powder, seat a new bullet and fire them at a range or game. You bet. No problem...:)

Gewehr98
October 19, 2005, 12:22 AM
Especially if shooting from a tube-fed levergun. (Recoil pushing bullets back into cases as they're all nose-to-tail in the magazine tube)

The Bushmaster
October 19, 2005, 09:48 PM
Oops...Sorry...Forgot...But, that's why we have Gewehr98 on this site. Thanks for remembering the missing step..:o

Gewehr98
October 19, 2005, 10:39 PM
I have a honkin' big pistol that fires a wildcatted .30-30 Winchester round, and those rounds never get crimped. My wrist and digits, on the other hand, do get crimped if I shoot too many rounds through it without a PAST shooting glove. ;)

http://mauser98.com/wichitarightplonk.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Fluted Crimp on Winchester .30-30 Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!