US security chief strives to expel all illegal immigrants

PDA

Desertdog
October 18, 2005, 12:38 PM
It's about time. Do they have the guts to do it?

US security chief strives to expel all illegal immigrants
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/18/051018154752.u9fj2ynj.html

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said his department aims without exception to expel all those who enter the United States illegally.

"Our goal at DHS (Homeland Security) is to completely eliminate the 'catch and release' enforcement problem, and return every single illegal entrant, no exceptions.

"It should be possible to achieve significant and measurable progress to this end in less than a year," Chertoff told a Senate hearing.

Thousands of "Mexicans who are caught entering the United States illegally are returned immediately to Mexico. But other parts of the system have nearly collapsed under the weight of numbers. The problem is especially severe for non-Mexicans apprehended at the southwest border," Chertoff explained.

"Today, a non-Mexican illegal immigrant caught trying to enter the United States across the southwest border has an 80 percent chance of being released immediately because we lack the holding facilities," he added.

"Through a comprehensive approach, we are moving to end this 'catch and release' style of border enforcement by reengineering our detention and removal process."

Chertoff's remarks in favor of returning "every illegal entrant, no exceptions" appeared to conflict directly with the US policy toward illegal Cuban migrants.

Though Cubans picked up at sea are returned to their country, those who reach US soil by air, sea or ground are allowed to stay and work -- a fact Cuba says encourages dangerous illegal emigration attempts.

If you enjoyed reading about "US security chief strives to expel all illegal immigrants" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.H. Lee
October 18, 2005, 12:42 PM
Depends on how he plans on implementing it. If it's with more 'holding facilities', that won't cut it. He needs busses, lots of busses, making round trips to the Yucatan peninsula. New Orleans has a large supply of unused busses.

USSR
October 18, 2005, 12:42 PM
It's about time. Do they have the guts to do it?

The question is, will congress give them the money to do it?

Don

Janitor
October 18, 2005, 12:44 PM
Nothing will come of this. The government lacks the resolve to make this happen in ten years, much less one.

IMO - This statment amounts to beurocratic saber rattling.

AirForceShooter
October 18, 2005, 01:19 PM
remember when the President gave his speech on the Axis of Evil??
I'm still trying to figure out wht a citizen of any country listed as Evil is allowed to even enter this country.
Does anybody in Washington take any of this seriously?

AFS

Waitone
October 18, 2005, 01:29 PM
Bush either saw some polls OR a deal has been cut to get Meirs confirmed OR a deal was cut to get an amnesty program. Time will tell just exactly the nature of the deal.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/18/051018154752.u9fj2ynj.html

Security chief strives to expel all illegal immigrants
Oct 18 11:47 AM US/Eastern

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said his department aims without exception to expel all those who enter the United States illegally.

"Our goal at DHS (Homeland Security) is to completely eliminate the 'catch and release' enforcement problem, and return every single illegal entrant, no exceptions.

"It should be possible to achieve significant and measurable progress to this end in less than a year," Chertoff told a Senate hearing.

Thousands of "Mexicans who are caught entering the United States illegally are returned immediately to Mexico. But other parts of the system have nearly collapsed under the weight of numbers. The problem is especially severe for non-Mexicans apprehended at the southwest border," Chertoff explained.

"Today, a non-Mexican illegal immigrant caught trying to enter the United States across the southwest border has an 80 percent chance of being released immediately because we lack the holding facilities," he added.

"Through a comprehensive approach, we are moving to end this 'catch and release' style of border enforcement by reengineering our detention and removal process."

Chertoff's remarks in favor of returning "every illegal entrant, no exceptions" appeared to conflict directly with the US policy toward illegal Cuban migrants.

Though Cubans picked up at sea are returned to their country, those who reach US soil by air, sea or ground are allowed to stay and work -- a fact Cuba says encourages dangerous illegal emigration attempts.

Fletchette
October 18, 2005, 01:32 PM
Bush either saw some polls OR a deal has been cut to get Meirs confirmed OR a deal was cut to get an amnesty program.

...or, he's lying, just like his father.

dasmi
October 18, 2005, 01:38 PM
Great!
Now let's see them actually do it.

longeyes
October 18, 2005, 01:41 PM
Sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Arrest and detention is now, with the current numbers involved, impracticable. There are ways to handle this problem and most of us here know what they are: Go after the employers, go after the businesses that aid and abet (banks), cut welfare payments, stop schooling kids of illegals, eliminate citizenship for children of illegals, block money transfers back to Mexico, et al.

It wouldn't hurt to read the riot act to El Presidente Fox, threaten trade sanctions, or worse.

Will any of this be done? NO. Too many entrenched interests HERE benefit. Nothing will change until the cost of doing nothing is greater than the cost of acting. That may take a few years.

R.H. Lee
October 18, 2005, 01:45 PM
Nonetheless, we shouldn't miss the opportunity to hold his feet to the fire and keep his word. Chertoff's promise is Bush's promise. If he reneges, make is a HUGE issue.

Biker
October 18, 2005, 01:47 PM
Within a year, he says. Doesn't something important happen next fall? Hmmmm, some kind of elections? They'll sell us out again. To big Ag, the corps and for the Hispanic vote. Not a single Repub will get my vote. Third Party all the way.
I'm sick and tired of their duplicitous BS and I feel guilty as hell for helping to put the present admin in office!:fire:
Biker

WT
October 18, 2005, 01:47 PM
MIKE CHERTOFF, don't do it yet. The front lawn at your home in NJ needs mowing and raking! Looks like cr*p.

longeyes
October 18, 2005, 01:50 PM
Bush knows exactly what he has to do if he really wants to turn this problem around. All he has to do is read THR.

But how can that happen when Rove has told him the future of the GOP lies with embracing "newcomers?" How can that happen when Bush, a tear in his eye, sees illegal aliens as "hard-working moms and dads?" How can that happen when Bush's pals in the business community are eager to profiteer regardless of the extant laws? How can that happen when the Bush clan itself has ties south of the border?

It can't. Sound & fury, signifying nothing.

res1b3uq
October 18, 2005, 02:01 PM
C'mon, Biker, look what the alternative was. We HAVE to get a REAL, conservative, grassroots party started. The further the Dems move to the left, The further the Republicans move to the left. I knew Bush was a moderate when I voted for him-twice. In this day and age, John F. Kennedy would have been a Neocon.

fourays2
October 18, 2005, 02:06 PM
wow that was a pretty funny read, is today really April 1st? Seriously though this guy had better check with Jeorge, 'cause I think he's got other ideas.

wingman
October 18, 2005, 02:10 PM
There are ways to handle this problem and most of us here know what they are: Go after the employers, go after the businesses that aid and abet (banks), cut welfare payments, stop schooling kids of illegals, eliminate citizenship for children of illegals, block money transfers back to Mexico, et al.

Per usual Longeyes has it correct, got to go after the source, greedy employers.
If we are to survive as a "somewhat" free society we need controlled
immigration, controlled borders otherwise we will become more fragmented
and third world like. People don't want to hear this but it is simply true,
we continue to outsource jobs, export our base manufacturing companies
and then import under educated employees while in truth we should be doing
the exact opposite. Our large corporation care not, short term profit over
America freedom, quality of life, they simply don't care and they in turn
pay for our "elected" officials. I wish a had an easy fix and perhaps it will
come in time with a third party being elected but some hard times before then.:(

Biker
October 18, 2005, 02:24 PM
C'mon, Biker, look what the alternative was. We HAVE to get a REAL, conservative, grassroots party started. The further the Dems move to the left, The further the Republicans move to the left. I knew Bush was a moderate when I voted for him-twice. In this day and age, John F. Kennedy would have been a Neocon.
I believe that we need a shakeup in a big way. If that means that the Wicked Witch of the East gets into office, well, maybe the Repubs will be forced to at least impersonate conservatives for awhile. They're losing their base as evidenced by me and many lifelong Repubs I know (and I'm in ID!). I've left the party and let my state reps know why.
If enough of us do it, they'll be forced to change. Neither the Dems or the Repubs get my vote from here on in until someone shows that they care about this country, including the vanishing middle-class, thanks to out of control spending and un-checked immigration.
Biker

longeyes
October 18, 2005, 02:32 PM
Perhaps we can learn from the Gang of Fourteen--only in our case it may be fourteen million or forty million.

We need to master the art of obstructionism.

Waitone
October 18, 2005, 02:33 PM
Conditions for a successful third party are beginning to appear but a long way off to be determinative in party formation. Illegal immigration shows how far out of touch the ruling class is with the taxpaying class.

Until an effective party can be constructed there is one simpleminded tactic that can be employed. Simply refuse to vote for an incumbent. Dominate primaries. Refuse to vote for an incumbant. Most importantly, be willing to enthusiastically throw out your personal bum.

NCP24
October 18, 2005, 02:34 PM
People don't want to hear this but it is simply true, we continue to outsource jobs, export our base manufacturing companies and then import under educated employees while in truth we should be doing the exact opposite. Our large corporation care not, short term profit over America freedom, quality of life, they simply don't care and they in turn pay for our "elected" officials. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. WAKE UP AMERICA!!!

gunsmith
October 18, 2005, 02:52 PM
People don't want to hear this but it is simply true, we continue to outsource jobs, export our base manufacturing companies and then import under educated employees while in truth we should be doing the exact opposite. Our large corporation care not, short term profit over America freedom, quality of life, they simply don't care and they in turn pay for our "elected" officials. .

unfortunately a lot of people who feel this way ( like my brother in law and my sister ) automatically vote Dem:(

We need to get the Dems who feel this way and the Reps and the Con's
and get either into a party that agrees or start our own

Werewolf
October 18, 2005, 02:56 PM

http://members.cox.net/werewolf1326/images/Digital/ROFLMAO.gif

Alex45ACP
October 18, 2005, 03:01 PM
Talk is cheap.

Headless Thompson Gunner
October 18, 2005, 03:08 PM
Per usual Longeyes has it correct, got to go after the source, greedy employers.
If we are to survive as a "somewhat" free society we need controlled
immigration, controlled borders otherwise we will become more fragmented
and third world like. People don't want to hear this but it is simply true,
we continue to outsource jobs, export our base manufacturing companies
and then import under educated employees while in truth we should be doing
the exact opposite. Our large corporation care not, short term profit over
America freedom, quality of life, they simply don't care and they in turn
pay for our "elected" officials. I wish a had an easy fix and perhaps it will
come in time with a third party being elected but some hard times before then.You can't be serious :what:

Fact is, most manufacturing jobs are idiot work. They're unskilled positions that pay rates commensurate with unskilled work. If that's all you can do, then you aren't worth anything more than minimum wage. In fact, you're probably worth less than minimum wage.

If unskilled Americans won't work for a wage that matches their abilities, then our companies will hire foreigners who will. If that means hiring imigrants than so be it. If that means exporting labor jobs, then so be it.

How many Americans ask themselves this simple question: My employer pays me $XYZ... Do I produce more than $XYZ worth of value for my employer? If the answer is 'no', then you have zero right to expect your employer to continue paying you.

Corporations aren't magical money machines. They simply cannot exist while paying workers more than they're worth. No free rides. We all hafta pay our own way.

Immigration is a security issue. We need to know who is entering our country, and what their intentions are. But we do NOT need to keep immigrants out. If this is what Chertoff has in mind, then I'm all for it. Let's hope he makes good on his promise.

Immigration is good for everyone in America. Good for the immigrants, good for their employers, good for their employers' customers, good for the economy as a whole.

Immigration is good for everyone except for the union members who refuse to accept that they aren't all worth $30 an hour.

But immigration doesn't have to come at the expense of good security. Let's fix the security problem.

Oh, by the way... Corporate profit ("short term" or otherwise) is one of the cornerstones of American freedom. But I've already ranted enough for one day...

R.H. Lee
October 18, 2005, 03:22 PM
How many Americans ask themselves this simple question: My employer pays me $XYZ... Do I produce more than $XYZ worth of value for my employer? If the answer is 'no', then you have zero right to expect your employer to continue paying you.
The answer will never be 'no'. The real question is, how many more times my wage is my employer making from my labor? And why, as an American citizen, should I be forced to compete with third world labor just so my employer can increase his bottom line?

That attitude, HTG, is exactly what gives rise to the backlash of big labor unions and government interference. You can only exploit so much before it comes back to bite you.

NCP24
October 18, 2005, 03:26 PM
And why, as an American citizen, should I be forced to compete with third world labor just so my employer can increase his bottom line?
+1

Biker
October 18, 2005, 03:51 PM
The answer will never be 'no'. The real question is, how many more times my wage is my employer making from my labor? And why, as an American citizen, should I be forced to compete with third world labor just so my employer can increase his bottom line?

That attitude, HTG, is exactly what gives rise to the backlash of big labor unions and government interference. You can only exploit so much before it comes back to bite you.
Well said.
Biker

idakfan
October 18, 2005, 03:52 PM
YEAH RIGHT

Sam
October 18, 2005, 04:12 PM
Chertoff says that and I say Chertoff is trying to blow smoke up my @ss.

28 June '76 and counting:cuss:

Sam

Sir Aardvark
October 18, 2005, 04:25 PM
"Who needs action, when you've got words."

rick_reno
October 18, 2005, 04:44 PM
He said the things already reported - but that isn't ALL he said. The hook is the "temporary worker program", the bait is this export promise. I wonder if he's got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn too?

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Beefing up border patrols alone won't stem the flow of illegal immigrants into the country, administration officials said Tuesday in promoting President Bush's proposal to set up a temporary worker program for foreign nationals.

"We're going to need more than just brute enforcement," Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told the Senate Judiciary Committee. "We're going to need a temporary worker program as well."

Labor Secretary Elaine Chao provided a general outline of the plan Bush introduced last year, emphasizing that undocumented workers accepted into the program would receive no advantages over immigrants in the country legally and that they would be required to return home after their work period ends.

"Those who come forward will not be offered an automatic pass to citizenship and should be expected to pay a substantial fine or penalty to participate in the temporary program," she said.

Under the president's plan, she said, guest workers would have to leave the country after three years, but could apply for a second three-year stint.

Tamper-resistant cards
She said they would be issued biometric, tamper-resistant cards that would allow them to cross U.S. borders during their stay.

GOP leaders in both the House and Senate have suggested that Congress should first take up the enforcement issue, putting off debate on the more complex issues of undocumented workers and the demand for low-skilled labor in this country.

But Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pennsylvania, said his panel, currently occupied with the Harriet Miers' Supreme Court nomination, would address comprehensive immigration reform. "It is a matter of very, very substantial urgency."

He cited one recent report that there are now more illegal immigrants in the country, often estimated at around 11 million, than legal immigrants.

Several members of the committee are sponsoring legislation that, in addition to strengthening border security and workplace enforcement, would set up guest worker programs.

Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, with Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, has a bill that would provide visas for up to six years, after which the worker must either leave the country or be in the pipeline for a green card.

Sens. John Cornyn, R-Texas, and Jon Kyl, R-Arizona, have a rival bill that would require illegal aliens to return to their home countries to apply for the temporary worker program.

'Catch and release' policy
Chertoff also pledged to end the "catch and release" policy that has allowed tens of thousands of non-Mexican illegal aliens to disappear within the United States.

"Return every single illegal entrant -- no exceptions," Chertoff said in prepared testimony to the committee.

Chertoff said that the nearly 900,000 Mexicans who are caught entering United States every year are returned immediately to Mexico, "but other parts of the system have nearly collapsed under the weight of numbers."

Chertoff said that in the just-concluded budget year 120,000 of the 160,000 non-Mexican nationals apprehended by the Border Patrol were released, often on their own recognizance, because there is no place to hold them. "That is unacceptable and we are going to change that immediately."

Chertoff said it is should be possible to achieve significant progress in reversing that policy in less than a year, noting that his department's budget for fiscal 2006 includes $90 million in new money to add hundreds of beds. He said his agency also plans to expand use of an expedited removal program that could cut the average time in detention from 90 to 45 days.

The Cabinet officials emphasized that the president strongly opposed an amnesty for illegal aliens, and Chertoff agreed with Kennedy that trying to deport all illegal immigrants would not be possible. "It would take billions and billions and billions of dollars to do it," Chertoff said.

Kurush
October 18, 2005, 04:50 PM
Make a conciliatory gesture, then turn in upside down a few hours later. I think Chertoff's been studying from the Kim Jong Il playbook.

Sam
October 18, 2005, 04:58 PM
Adding beds isn't necessary either. The stay should be short enough that an iron stake, 10' of chain a bucket and shade is all that is necessary. Should be able to secure them for less than $25 each.

And get the Border Patrol back to patrolling the border, not 60 miles away from the border.
I'm getting tired of "papeles por favor" everyday when I go to work.

Sam

MD_Willington
October 18, 2005, 05:12 PM
Well if it's catch and release, they should "chip'em"..you know for further conservation...oops wrong species...:neener:

Actually I'm a legal immigrant, played the "jump through the hoop" game for 4 years...:barf:

I get kind of upsset when they start talking amnesty for people breaking the law...:cuss:

Waitone
October 18, 2005, 05:20 PM
We don't hold those we capture. Those stupid enough to return for a hearing see the immigration court is not designed to force them out of the country. It is legal delay after legal delay.

Yes, we need holding areas. We also need to streamline the hearing process and rig it in favor of deportation.

We also need to start fining those who hire illegals. Make them pay the cost for attracting criminals.

By addressing the issue Bush has just opened up Pandora's box. I don't think he will like what comes out and I sure don't think he can stuff it back in.
Labor Secretary Elaine Chao provided a general outline of the plan Bush introduced last year, emphasizing that undocumented workers accepted into the program would receive no advantages over immigrants in the country legally and that they would be required to return home after their work period ends.Puffery. This article is chocked full of spurious reasoning and political balderdash. Looks like another half-assed initiative that will blow up like an exploding cigar.

Dead
October 18, 2005, 05:24 PM
This would be of NO benefit to "them", so it will never be done. The people in power want to stay in power, so whatever is done will be towards that end, and be damned the means at which it is acheived. :fire: :cuss: :banghead:

spocahp anar
October 18, 2005, 05:59 PM
...or, he's lying, just like his father.

In the five years after 9/11 he hasn't done a damn thing yet; why would he start now.

Standing Wolf
October 18, 2005, 06:17 PM
Within a year, he says. Doesn't something important happen next fall? Hmmmm, some kind of elections? They'll sell us out again.

I hope you're wrong. I'm afraid you may be proved right.

spocahp anar
October 18, 2005, 06:21 PM
:cuss: In NC last year they rounded up 77 illegal immigrants tied to, or believed to be tied to gangs and gang related activity. They rounded them up, processed them and RELEASED the on their own recognizance pending a deportation hearing. Yeah I really believe this is all going to change.:banghead:

Waitone
October 18, 2005, 06:28 PM
He also thinks the problem can be well under control in about one year.

Think about the implications of what we've been told in the past about how intractable the problem was and how the numbers are just too big to stop it at the borders. Either Chertoff is lying now or Bush lied in the past. Can't draw any other conclusions.

longeyes
October 18, 2005, 07:09 PM
If unskilled Americans won't work for a wage that matches their abilities, then our companies will hire foreigners who will. If that means hiring imigrants than so be it. If that means exporting labor jobs, then so be it.

For years we've been underpricing our technology, building up foreign competitors. For years we've been watching our technology stolen--with no repercussions. For years we've been providing a military umbrella to the free world, with no tariff charged.

Why?

Who benefits?

Now you say "so be it?"

There is more to a nation than stuffing one's belly and doing deals. A lot more. America is more than a shopping mall.

longeyes
October 18, 2005, 07:19 PM
The Republicans smell an election coming. Chertoff is out there to wave the colors. He says he's going to interdict the arriving and send them back. Uh-huh. Swell, good luck. What about the 15-20 million, plus their offspring, already here? We will need a separate Dept. of Deportation to handle the bus, train, and air traffic involved in the mass movement of those arrested. The Government knows what it needs to do but it will do everything BUT what is needed because that would make way too many people unhappy. So many are now complicit in this national give-away that dealing with this problem would require a systemic purge of historic proportions.

R.H. Lee
October 18, 2005, 07:20 PM
There is more to a nation than stuffing one's belly and doing deals. A lot more. America is more than a shopping mall.
Exactly right and very well said.

Headless Thompson Gunner
October 18, 2005, 08:20 PM
Wow...

So many folks talking about how they NEED this job or how they're ENTITLED to high wages, no competition, government assistance, etc. "It's unAmerican for me to have to do better than the other guy down the street".

Is it any wonder we have illegal immigrants soaking up all of the low paying jobs? These are folks who want to WORK so badly that they're willing to give up their home, travel to a foreign country/culture, and break the law. (I don't condone breaking the law, as a rule, but you gotta admire their determination to improve their lives.)

I say we need MORE folks like that. They understand the American dream better than some Americans these days.

So let's make the borders secure. We definitely don't need complete strangers walking into the country with potentially evil intentions. We also don't need freeloaders coming in expecting to live off of our taxes. But we don't need to keep out the people who are willing to work hard and earn their keep. Competition, diversity, vitality are GOOD things. They'll only makes us stronger.

And frankly, if you can't compete with an uneducated and illiterate third world peasant, then you deserve to have your job outsourced. We're Americans. We're BETTER than that. At least, I'd like to think we are...

Biker
October 18, 2005, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Headless Thompson Gunner]Wow...

Competition, diversity, vitality are GOOD things. They'll only makes us stronger.

This sounds strangely familiar. If you would, kindly explain why these are "GOOD things" as they apply to immigration in general, especially as it applies today, and illegal immigration in particular.

Biker

:)

Coltdriver
October 18, 2005, 08:36 PM
I believe that he also testified that a guest worker program would be part of his strategy.

Jorge Bush has sold out his country for reasons I can not understand and for reasons which he does not have the backbone to articulate.

It is unAmerican to create an underclass in this country.

Art Eatman
October 18, 2005, 08:36 PM
No more on unions and wages and stuff IN THIS THREAD.

Take that subject over to Armed Polite Society.

Art

res1b3uq
October 18, 2005, 08:38 PM
Everything is going to hell in a handbasket.

Headless Thompson Gunner
October 18, 2005, 09:13 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to pull this off topic. Let me restate my points, then I'll skedadle.

I think that motivated, hard working individuals are a huge asset to our country. We need all we can get. If we can steal them from neighboring countries then let's grab as many as we can.

Border security is important too. It is entirely too easy for terrorists to slip something nasty into the country over the Mexican border. We seriously need to fix that.

Freeloaders are also a major problem. Any immigrants caught trying to live off of our tax dollars should promptly be shipped back to Mexico. (Heck, any Americans caught trying to live of our tax dollars should be shipped out too.)

There's absolutely no reason that we can't accomodate all of this. A sensible border policy shoudn't be tough. We managed it well enough at Ellis Isle, didn't we?

I dunno whether Chertoff's plan is the right thing to do, or whether he even intends to act on it. But it sure is nice to see someone in Washington acknowledge the problem.

Biker
October 18, 2005, 09:37 PM
Appreciate the well thought out response, HTG.:) However, we have all of the motivated, hard working individuals we need right here. Problem is, they can't compete with the illegals who are not only elidgable for many govt. programs, but are activley courted for tham, whether it be WIC, so on.
I completely agree with the border security.
Finally, at Ellis Island, we screened immigrants for diseases while we don't now. TB is making a comeback in this country as is leprosy, just a couple of many. New diseases are also being introduced such as changa, courtesy of south of the border.. Additionally, we *needed* warm bodies at the turn of the last century. We don't now. We have plenty.
Why is diversity so important to our country at this point and what makes you say that it is a good thing?
Biker

longeyes
October 18, 2005, 10:09 PM
Competition, diversity, vitality are GOOD things. They'll only makes us stronger.

"Diversity" has become another wedge of socialism--or, as I prefer to call it, demographic socialism. Instead of looking at individuals, we count by racial or ethnic or gender categories and feel good about ourselves. This is not only un-American, this is superficial in the extreme. We should be looking beyond such categories. Real diversity is a far subtler thing but appears to be, thanks to both government and commerce, an endangered species.

Headless Thompson Gunner
October 18, 2005, 11:14 PM
Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. When I said "diversity" I didn't mean it in the liberal sense (affirmative action, minority rights, racism...:barf: ). I meant something more along the lines of differing ideas, values, talents, and so forth.

Take a whole bunch of different viewpoints, approaches, techniques, attitudes, etc. Mix 'em all up. Then turn them loose in a free market society. Eventually the best of those ideas will rise to the top. The ones that work will flourish, and we'll all be better off for it. That's what I meant when I said competition, diversity and vitality are good things.

When it comes to different cultures/races/etnicities/nationalities, I favor the melting pot system. I don't care what genes you carry, or where you were born, but if you live here you oughta be as American as apple pie.

My mother and father (long divorced) are entrepreneurs. Both have started their own companies. My father's first failed, his second succeeded but he had to abandon it, and his third is wildly succesful. My mother got hers right the first time.

They both say that the hardest part of running a business is finding good employees. There simply aren't enough motivated, intelligent, capable people out there to be hired.

It's kinda funny, if you get them started on the topic they both get this sort of wistful look in their eyes. They'll say something like "just think what we could do with the company if we had the perfect person to do XYZ..." Then they snap back to reality. :(

It sounds cliche, but the right person really can make all the difference. Hard workers, people with initiative and drive, creativity and resourcefulness... These people are worth their weight in gold. They won't take any jobs from Americans; they'll make it possible for their employers to hire more workers.

Surely some of these folks exist in Mexico. Let's import them.:evil:

longeyes
October 19, 2005, 01:12 PM
Headless,

No disagreement there.

We would be well-served to scout out great future Americans everywhere. We can't have too many of those.

Maybe the right word, as opposed to diversity, is adaptability? We are really talking about resourcefulness, no?

R.H. Lee
October 19, 2005, 02:09 PM
They both say that the hardest part of running a business is finding good employees. There simply aren't enough motivated, intelligent, capable people out there to be hired.
Sure there are. You just have to be willing to pay their price. Then treat them with respect if you want their continuing services.

If you enjoyed reading about "US security chief strives to expel all illegal immigrants" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!