My name is goon and I am a hopeless gun trader

PDA

goon
October 18, 2005, 02:54 PM
I'll admit it. Despite my desire to change, I can't seem to help myself. I am a gun trader.
My collection only ever seems to get up to a few rifles, a shotgun or two, and maybe three or four handguns before one gets sold off to fund something else. I do this for financial reasons, because I don't have enough space for alot of guns, and because I am sort of constantly in search of guns that do what I need done better than the guns I have. Some guns have "character flaws". Not exactly defects, but things that detract from their efficiency that you don't really find out about until you own one.
Is this condition of the constantly changing gun collection a problem?
I know that some of you out there swear by never selling a gun and I can understand that. I also know how hard it is to find guns that work as they should sometimes and because of that I am hesistant to sell a gun that works. Still though, right now I have a really nice GP-100 on layaway. I have a Security Six upstairs. They will both fill the same role, that role being plinker/woods gun/light defensive gun in that order.
Although the Security Six is a great gun and I really do like it, I think the GP-100 will serve this role better than the Security Six does. Since it isn't getting carried concealed, the slightly smaller size and lighter weight of the SS don't really matter. The GP is built heavier and has slightly more barrel, meaning just a little easier to shoot and a little more downrange smack.
This just the latest example. I have done this before and I will probably do it again.
Do I need to seek professional help?

If you enjoyed reading about "My name is goon and I am a hopeless gun trader" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1 old 0311
October 18, 2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Goon,

Nope you don't need help. Hell I been doing this for 40 years and couldn't be happier.:neener: :neener:

Kevin

Rockrivr1
October 18, 2005, 03:38 PM
Oh I disagree. I couldn't imagine selling any one of my children. Even the step child in the back that never gets any attention will stay and be passed to the next generation.

Seek help now Goon, before it's to late and your wracked with guilt. :rolleyes:

browningguy
October 18, 2005, 04:49 PM
Sorry goon, my problem is worse. I'm a hopeless gun buyer. Everytime I think about getting rid of one I find a reason to hold on to it. As an example I've got a Rem. 81 in 300 Savage that I have no hope of ever shooting well again with it's open sights, and it's in much too nice a shape to consider drilling and tapping. But it's the only 300 Savage I have so I just keep it in the safe.

goon
October 18, 2005, 05:13 PM
Browningguy - you are right. That is way worse.
I don't have the problem of having nice guns to keep nice though. I am far too accident prone and clumsy to worry about keeping a nice gun nice. I don't even bother with that because I know I will just screw it up. I figure there is no point in even making the effort.
At least I have that going for me.
Incidentally, the security six is probably going to get traded toward the GP tomorrow. Thought it over and the GP-100 is just more useful to me. Can't afford to have both.
Oh well.

Atticus
October 18, 2005, 05:28 PM
Hey Goon, I'm as bad or worse. Every purchase is a rental to me...but then isn't everything.

P-35/53
October 18, 2005, 05:35 PM
:rolleyes: :what: I too an afflicted with this dread disease- the only thing you can do is learn to live with it.

Dave Dembinski
October 18, 2005, 05:37 PM
Are you starting a support group, goon? Because I'd have to sign up. Of the 10 guns I bought or traded into this year, I currently have 4, and am looking to sell one of those.

Keeps things interesting. :cool:

thereisnospoon
October 18, 2005, 05:42 PM
I am as incurable as you...

Everytime I buy something I say to myself "this is the one" then the nexy day I see someting else here in the trader and go gaga!

It's all THR's Fault!

:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "My name is goon and I am a hopeless gun trader" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!