Mufflers (poster)

PDA

Oleg Volk
October 18, 2005, 04:49 PM
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/arms/mufflers7446.sized.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Mufflers (poster)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jac
October 18, 2005, 04:51 PM
Good one. 'Twould be nice to have a picture of a suppressed pistol, but that's just me wanting eye-candy.:)

garrett1955
October 18, 2005, 04:54 PM
yes, very nice

Zundfolge
October 18, 2005, 04:56 PM
Only change I'd make is to the second paragraph.

A simlar muffler for a rifle
is subject to a $200 tax and
a 6 month background check
and isn't even legal at all in some states.

Carl N. Brown
October 18, 2005, 04:57 PM
I posted this on another thread but it really belongs here:
Finland has considered making civilian ownershop of
silencers obligatory:

....here are some facts how silencers are treated in Finland.
Silencers are not considered to be "parts of a firearm", that means
that anyone can build one, own one and buy or sell one without any
restrictions. Just as grips or scopes.
There are no special taxes on silencers, of course for everything
you buy the 22% VAT is included.
Silencers have been found useful in preventing noise-pollution of shooting
ranges that are near urban areas. Several studies have been made on
subject should silencers be obligatory. One study made by State
Department of Labor strongly suggests people to use silencers to
prevent damage to their ears. (that state department handles issues
of work safety etc.) ....
Silencers are cheap and of high quality in Finland. You can buy a silencer
for .22 for $50 and top quality silencers that sustain unlimited full-
automatic fire go for about $150. Factory-made silencers are available
actually for any gun and caliber....
Silencers are coming increasingly popular, more and more .22 are being
sold with silencer already fitted. For Ruger mkII there are numerous solutions
some with bayonet-style fixing which make it fast to fix and remove. Such
solutions have been seen on Luger and Margolin. Almost all gunsmiths
can make silencers. The best known industrial makes are VAIME, KANU
and BR-REFLEX....
-- Panu Wilska

Justin
Nice.

Lupinus
I like it

pax
October 18, 2005, 04:59 PM
I like it.

(Of course, umm ... showed it to one of my kids, who glanced at it and said, "What about 'Loud pipes save lives'?")

Good poster.

pax

Janitor
October 18, 2005, 05:01 PM
Nice one Oleg.

It would be great if you could work in the bit about some states not even allowing cans, but I"m afraid it'd get way to wordy before you were done.

I like it as is.

Oleg Volk
October 18, 2005, 05:17 PM
I will make a whole series of posters on this topic. While at it, let me recommend another excellent forum: Silencer Tests (http://www.silencertests.com/silencer-forum/index.php)

Kharn
October 18, 2005, 05:38 PM
Great poster.

Kharn

Standing Wolf
October 18, 2005, 05:59 PM
I'm not going to say anything offensive to Art's grandmother about Helvetica.

Oleg Volk
October 18, 2005, 06:04 PM
Good choice. Helvetica wasn't used anywhere in this poster.

That said, I have almost no fonts for PC. Can Mac fonts be converted somehow?

Zundfolge
October 18, 2005, 06:36 PM
I have almost no fonts for PC. Can Mac fonts be converted somehow?
Easily by someone on a Mac with a program like Macromedia's Fontographer.

Harder to do on the PC because of the old Mac 2-forks file system.

EDIT
This might shed some light on it though
http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/ABFMac-PCConversion.pdf

Rob1035
October 18, 2005, 06:44 PM
I LOVE it!

Old Fuff
October 18, 2005, 07:04 PM
But "gun-mufflers are only used by criminals ... :what:

I know because I saw it on T.V. :barf:

Standing Wolf
October 18, 2005, 10:59 PM
Helvetica wasn't used anywhere in this poster.

Yeah, but it's a Helvetica copy, imitation, or knock-off.

Gewehr98
October 18, 2005, 11:07 PM
Myself, I'm more of a "Loud Pipes Save Lives" kinda guy, straight pipes on my Shovelhead FXR and all...

MICHAEL T
October 19, 2005, 01:34 AM
I don't have mufflers on my cars or my 4WD Didn't on my bike when I rode either Don't see reason on firearms either But each their own.

waterhouse
October 19, 2005, 02:24 AM
Of all the posters you've recently put up, this is one of my favorites. It has long been a desire of mine to suppress my guns, and I finally completed enough of the collection that I'm willing to pay for it. With any luck, by this time next year every time I shoot a .22 or .45 or .308 it will be a happy quiet kind of shooting.

artherd
October 19, 2005, 03:06 AM
I don't have mufflers on my cars or my 4WD Didn't on my bike when I rode either Don't see reason on firearms either But each their own.
what?

71Commander
October 19, 2005, 05:23 AM
Nice poster but Michigan is a no-no state.:(

Kharn
October 19, 2005, 06:28 AM
what?
What'd you say? I cant hear you!
:neener:

Kharn

rick_reno
October 19, 2005, 08:10 AM
Good one.

Dave Markowitz
October 19, 2005, 11:11 AM
One of your best.

Janitor
October 19, 2005, 11:16 AM
It has long been a desire of mine to suppress my guns
Hmmm - you might want to think about seeing somebody about that.

;)

orionengnr
October 19, 2005, 11:53 AM
they just pi$$ off the populace, who find ways to pass more laws to further restrict us all.

I've been riding since I was 12--took the baffle out of my Suzuki 90 cause I thought it sounded neat. Quickly found out that not too many shared my enthusiasm :rolleyes:

I still like the sound of an R6 turning 14,000 rpm. I attended an AMA Superbike race, a Nextel Cup race and an IRL race this year and if you enjoy a frontal assault on your senses, you got it.

However, I will not force everyone else to endure what I enjoy. My bike has stock (quiet) exhaust.

As far as you Harley guys with loud pipes go, if you are ahead of me on the freeway I can hear you 1/2 mile away. As soon as I go past you (and I will):neener: all that racket disappears behind me.

Think about it--the threat is in front of you, and often as not coming from the opposite direction. They can't hear your pipes until they are beside or behind you, and by then the threat is past.

Loud pipes, just like idiots doing wheelies on the freeway, do nothing good for the general population's opinion of motorcycles or the people who ride them...in the same way that an irresponsible gun owner reflects poorly on all of us.

ny32182
October 19, 2005, 12:09 PM
I like it.

El Tejon
October 19, 2005, 12:14 PM
How about: putting in a pic of a child, "for the children" approach. Or, public health angle, photo of a doc looking at someone's ears?

Move suppressors to Title I, include federal preemption, do it for the hearing of the children.:)

MM
October 19, 2005, 12:24 PM
Although I appreciate and agree with your stand, the offered poster is too wordy for a punchy delivery.
SatCong

Beren
October 19, 2005, 01:44 PM
Maybe:

We demand that our motocycles come standard with mufflers.

Why do mufflers for our firearms have a $200 tax and six month waiting period?

Telperion
October 19, 2005, 02:16 PM
I second the motion of a poster of a kid with a suppressed .22 rifle.

Move suppressors to Title I, include federal preemption, do it for the hearing of the children.:)You and me, El Tejon: we'll start a campaign to lobby Congress and the NRA. But no, too easy to keep shouting at the computer monitor! :(

beaucoup ammo
October 19, 2005, 04:45 PM
Likewise with the .22..since you're in Nashville, perhaps with The Parthenon in the background?!

Take Care

Gewehr98
October 19, 2005, 06:18 PM
Think about it--the threat is in front of you, and often as not coming from the opposite direction. They can't hear your pipes until they are beside or behind you, and by then the threat is past.

Down here in the land of the 6-month resident Snowbirds, the threat is beside me or behind me, wearing overshades, fused neck vertebrae, white-knuckling the steering wheel of that Cadillac or Lincoln Town Car, and trying desperately to move into my lane so they can make that WalMart exit. The two snowbirds that tried that on me already got a healthy earful of horn and tailpipe, thank you. Which is why I'm all for the 65 and over visual acuity test being administered by the State of Florida...

Which is why I don't agree with Beren's rewrite, either.

Maybe:

We demand that our motocycles come standard with mufflers.

Why do mufflers for our firearms have a $200 tax and six month waiting period?

Who is we?

No_Brakes23
October 19, 2005, 06:29 PM
Ugh, Oleg, that poor sport bike needs a mud-flap-ectomy.

Otherwise it looks awesome. Great message.

Think about it--the threat is in front of you, and often as not coming from the opposite direction. They can't hear your pipes until they are beside or behind you, and by then the threat is past. This simply is not true. I almost creamed some Harley guy the other day in my cage, but he blipped the throttle, and the sound caused me to swivel my head quick enough to see him, and avoid hitting him. He was behind me.

I have a race can on my SV650, and I have blipped the throttle to get people's attention before.

Have you heard the Ducati variation of "Loud pipes save lives?"

Loud clutches save lives.

orionengnr
October 19, 2005, 06:39 PM
Mine does, although I seldom need to use it. I ride every day of the year, 50+ miles per day. (Okay, I drove my truck to work three times in the last year and a half.) I've been riding on the street since 1978, and in the dirt before that, and on the track for a number of years.

Lights on, defensive riding, recurrent training (MSF ERC last Feb)...
and quality protective gear as a last resort.

Oh, and statistically speaking, the threat is coming towards you, and turning left. Discounting single vehicle accidents (like running yourself off the road or "laying it down in gravel", something like 70% of fatal motorcycle accidents are caused by the left turning car. That's the one that leaves you with nowhere to go. Observing, predicting, and taking action, and wearing the aforementioned protective gear, always, every ride, are the best offense and defense against the threat.

October 19, 2005, 07:28 PM
How about a picture of the bike and somebody holding a suppressed rifle or pistol standing next to it, and "Mufflers, they aren't just for bikes."? Or maybe "Quiet shouldn't just be for bikes."?

Better yet, picture of a big V-8 and a big Harley engine with straight pipes and a rifle with "Motors aren't the only thing that need mufflers." Put mufflers on the ground in front of the engines and a couple of suppressors in front of the rifle

Gewehr98
October 19, 2005, 09:32 PM
Like you're the only motorcyclist here on THR who hasn't been riding defensively, OODA loop or not, for several decades. Come on down to Snowbird Florida, and check your threat statistics against the seasonal population. While I don't discount that cars in the oncoming lane often turn in front of you, they aren't the real big problem down here. It's the Cataract (Cadillac) with the New Jersey or New York license plates, in the lane right next to you, not having a clue where they want to lane change or turn.

BTW, did you read my post above? My horn works fine. Grandma Bluehair got an earful of both horn and tailpipes. She damned near had a coronary when she discovered what she almost did to me, but at least she swerved back out of my lane, and I don't really care what havoc she created with the cagers behind me. I survived another day on the road without getting hit, which is what I set out to do every morning. "Big Sky" theory really ain't.

No_Brakes, those Ducati clutches alway make me wonder when they're finally gonna tear themselves apart, it's like somebody threw gravel into a coffee grinder. ;)

No_Brakes23
October 21, 2005, 12:45 PM
Oh, and statistically speaking, the threat is coming towards you, and turning left. Discounting single vehicle accidents (like running yourself off the road or "laying it down in gravel", something like 70% of fatal motorcycle accidents are caused by the left turning car. While I agree with your statements about preparedness, and wearing the proper gear, this info comes from a 25 year old study, and newer studies have stated that illegal lefts are no longer the highest occurance.

Personally, in Yuma, AZ it was the snowbirds who couldn't be bothered to check before they came over on you, and here in San Diego, it is Soccer Moms yapping on the cell phone while they let their Expedition or Odyssey drift over. I have someone come over on me at least once a day here, (Even in my cage.)

And my horn does work, but it is pathetic, and nearly inaudible at speed. I have been thinking about getting a PIAA upgrade, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mufflers (poster)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!