Dimension changes in J-frames

PDA

Benton
March 30, 2003, 05:00 PM
I just bought a Butler Creek Boot grip for my S&W Model 40. Though the grip is labelled for use on J-frames, it will not fit onto the revolver. The upper rounded cut out in the receiver is a good bit smaller than the portion of the grip to which it should mate. Was there a change in the frame's dimensions since the early 1970s when my gun was built? If so, will a Hogue or Pachmayer fit it properly?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dimension changes in J-frames" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jagermeister
March 30, 2003, 05:35 PM
Benton:
you may have a better response in the Smithy Section on this one.

JM

Benton
March 30, 2003, 09:38 PM
I copied the question to the Gunsmithing section. Thanks for the recommendation, Jaegermeister.

Quantrill
April 1, 2003, 09:40 AM
Could this be the old round butt verses square butt? I made this mistake myself and bought the wrong grip for the right J frame or vicey versey. Quantrill

Benton
April 1, 2003, 11:13 AM
My Centennial has a round butt with a grip safety. The grip is designed for a round butt, but perhaps these revolvers differed slightly from the other models produced. I'm going to return the Butler Creek grip and try out a Hogue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dimension changes in J-frames" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!