he fumbled with his bear spray while his wife was being attacked

PDA

gunsmith
October 19, 2005, 12:19 AM
http://www.ktuu.com/cms/templates/master.asp?articleid=276&zoneid=1
Woman in hospital after bear attack
Monday, October 10, 2005 - by Jason Moore Anchorage, Alaska - A Kasilof woman is in the hospital recovering from a bear mauling yesterday on the Kenai Peninsula. The bear attacked 50-year-old Colleen Sinnott and her husband, 56-year-old John Poljacik near Skilak Lake. It happened on a trail that Poljacik returned to today.
It was an odd sight at a small parking area on Skilak Lake Loop Road. It was a man's shirt, two dog biscuits and a note that reads, “Please leave this here. My wife and I were attacked by a bear and we lost two young dogs Poljacik wrote the note. Nervously, he returned to the Skilak Lake Overlook Trail today with a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officer. He's looking for one of his dogs. His wife is still in the hospital
“Yeah, I bet he came right down through here, kind of behind her. She said when she turned and saw the thing, she kind of hit the ground here and then I think they ended up over in there and then I think when he let her go, she must have been over in that spot,” said Poljacik.Sinnott's blood is spattered throughout the leaves. Poljacik says he fumbled with his bear spray while his wife was being attacked. The bear bit down on her head, shaking her violently, and then jumped on him. “It actually, it shook her. It seemed like it took forever but it was just a matter of seconds and it was over. And in two bounds the thing was on top of me and I rolled over as quick as I could. And then for some reason thankfully it just took off,” said Poljacik.They found hair and other marks left behind by the charging brown bear. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officer Rob Barto looked for a fresh moose kill or another reason why the bear might have charged. Barto figures the couple simply surprised it.

“It was probably, hate to say it, but the bear was being a bear, maybe spooked a little bit,” said Barto.
Poljacik found one of his dogs, while its sister, a 7-month-old Newfoundland, is still missing. He wonders if he can ever enjoy hiking like he did before yesterday's attack
I've been to Katmai. I’ve been to Admiralty and Chichigof. I’ve been to places where there have been a lot of bears and I’ve always felt pretty comfortable but things are going to change I think. I don't know if I’ll go hiking anymore or not. Probably take a while to get to where I want to go someplace again, you know,” said Poljacik.
While Poljacik's sign in the parking lot waits hopefully for someone who may find his dog, Barto put up a sign of his own. The Skilak Lake Overlook Trail is closed, at least for now.
Sinnott’s injuries include scalp lacerations, broken ribs, and a shoulder injury.

If you enjoyed reading about "he fumbled with his bear spray while his wife was being attacked" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dragun
October 19, 2005, 12:31 AM
where was timothy treadwell when they needed him. oh yea, he was mauled to death. won't catch me in bear country without my .44mag or better. don't know much about it, but it seems like spray would just pjiss them off. at least him or his wife wasn't killed.

gunsmith
October 19, 2005, 12:35 AM
Idaho Grizzly Notice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IDAHO GRIZZLY NOTICE

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly
bear
conflicts,
the Idaho Department of Fish and Game as well as
National Forest
service are advising hikers, hunters, and
fishermen to
take extra
precautions and keep alert for bears while in the
field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little
bells on
their
clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't
expecting them. We
also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray
with
them in case of
an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh
signs of
bear
activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the
difference
between
black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear
droppings are
smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel
fur.
Grizzly
bear dung has little bells in it and smells like
pepper spray.

Standing Wolf
October 19, 2005, 12:51 AM
I’ve been to places where there have been a lot of bears and I’ve always felt pretty comfortable but things are going to change I think.

Ahhh, comfort! Ahhh, the joy of feeling comfortable!

Personally, my idea of feeling comfortable in the woods includes packing at least a .44 magnum revolver and some spare ammunition.

gunsmith
October 19, 2005, 12:54 AM
I've been feeling uncomfortable because all I got is a .357 snubby and a .40 glock.

I need a .44mag

Lupinus
October 19, 2005, 12:56 AM
My idea of comfort doesn't involve getting up at four in the morning and going out to freeze my cookies off.

My idea of comfort is sitting at the computer playing cabela's big came hunter :evil:

Jubei
October 19, 2005, 01:00 AM
Well...if the pepper spray doesn't stop the bear, at least it'll spice up his next meal.

Poke the bear, poke the bear, poke the bear, RUN!!!

Jubei

spacemanspiff
October 19, 2005, 01:01 AM
the initial reports were that the bear spray was in the car and the guy went to retrieve it.

MICHAEL T
October 19, 2005, 02:21 AM
Your in the bears home. Some don't take kindley to you unlawful entry into their home.Funny people take action when someone is in their home uninvited But bear not suppose to.

Dionysusigma
October 19, 2005, 02:22 AM
Would 7.92x57 be too little for a bear? :uhoh:

Kurush
October 19, 2005, 02:27 AM
Would 7.92x57 be too little for a bear? :uhoh:
It'll do the job, especially if you're shooting it out of an MG-42 :cool:

50 Freak
October 19, 2005, 02:37 AM
This is why I've been playing with the idea of buying the S&W 500. Feel a little "outgunned" carrying my Glock 10mm when I go backpacking.

MachIVshooter
October 19, 2005, 03:00 AM
My definition:

Bearspray (n) :

The blood that sprays from the bear's body after being shot.

This is why I've been playing with the idea of buying the S&W 500. Feel a little "outgunned" carrying my Glock 10mm when I go backpacking.

Pro's and con's to both. If I were to go hiking in Grizz country, I would carry my Ruger SRH .454 with some 335 or 360 gr. hard cast loads. It is much larger than a 10mm pistol, but a helluva lot lighter and handier than a .500 S&W.

joab
October 19, 2005, 03:10 AM
It was bound to happen sooner or later.
Grizzly
pepper spray.
Gunsmith owes me a keyboard

Nice setup

waterhouse
October 19, 2005, 03:16 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a pretty short list of things that scare the hell out of me, and sharks and prison are on that list, but so are bears.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/waterhouse/bear.jpg

In case you were wondering, the engineers at BMW did not plan for the little motor in the automatic window to be able to lift the window when a bear (even a relatively small one) is resting on it.

Those of you who carry guns for bear protection, please practice with them AND be aware of your surroundings. Bears move A LOT faster than it seems they should be able to. I don't pray much, but when I remember to I like to thank whoever is out there that I was enclosed in a nice steel cage during my only bear encounter.

Cosmoline
October 19, 2005, 03:18 AM
Here's my bear spray. I custom built it off a beat up old Mossberg based on past experiences with shotguns while hiking. It's designed to be easy to tote, fast in the hand and to deliver 3" magnum slugs on short order.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30056&d=1129588759

stevelyn
October 19, 2005, 03:23 AM
Here I've been traipsing across the tundra, and climbing mountains with a bear tag and haven't see a one.:banghead:

Cosmoline
October 19, 2005, 03:26 AM
:D That's the way it always seems to be. I suspect if you checked deep in a den you'd find an internet connection and a current PDF of the game regs.

Dragun
October 19, 2005, 04:03 AM
stevelyn, just curious what you're using/carrying to take one with? bet it's not bear spray.

warth0g
October 19, 2005, 06:41 AM
Whether you use bear spray or carry a gun or wahtever you choose when travleling in bear country, my experience is always to have a backup.
If walking have bear spray and gun, if using a ATV or snowmobile(polarbears) have a gun with you, but always plan an escape route. Same goes for walking

I have done some work in polar bear country.during that I once should stay and wait for my buddy to get something at the other side of the fjord, about 45 minutes away back and forth. Instead of standing idle I decided that I should change the variator belt on the snowmobile. taking the old of took no time, when it suddenly dawned on me that my rilfle was strapped down on the sled, my buddy had his .44 with him. Ok, standing in polar bear country with no escape possibilty and no gun was not a good feeling, I put on the new belt in record time, and learned a lesson, never get caught without a backup plan.

warth0g

ezypikns
October 19, 2005, 06:59 AM
we killed the last one here in 1890 or so. Why would you ever walk one foot unarmed in an area where you might run into one of those monsters?
It still doesn't sound like the obvious solution has occurred to this guy.

larry starling
October 19, 2005, 10:19 AM
Idaho Grizzly Notice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IDAHO GRIZZLY NOTICE

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly
bear
conflicts,
the Idaho Department of Fish and Game as well as
National Forest
service are advising hikers, hunters, and
fishermen to
take extra
precautions and keep alert for bears while in the
field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little
bells on
their
clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't
expecting them. We
also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray
with
them in case of
an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh
signs of
bear
activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the
difference
between
black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear
droppings are
smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel
fur.
Grizzly
pepper spray.

gunsmith
October 19, 2005, 11:14 AM
Your in the bears home. Some don't take kindley to you unlawful entry into their home.Funny people take action when someone is in their home uninvited But bear not suppose to.

hey mike!
the earth is my home:neener:

armoredman
October 19, 2005, 11:45 AM
The Smith Alaskan 500 would have been a perfect choice....:cool:

Gunpacker
October 19, 2005, 01:12 PM
Sounds like the guy beat his wife in the footrace. :)

RavenVT100
October 19, 2005, 01:14 PM
.44 Mag? How about a flippin' 12 Gauge?

stevelyn
October 19, 2005, 05:23 PM
stevelyn, just curious what you're using/carrying to take one with? bet it's not bear spray.

A Win. M-70 in .375 H&H loaded w/ Federal Premium Safari stuffed w/ 300 gr Nosler Partitions. I think it's a bit much, but I shoot it well and my '06 is in Fairbanks.

Pocomoke
October 19, 2005, 06:03 PM
Waterhouse,

Amen brother! the 1973 Corona station wagon with non-power windows didn't git 'er done either.

In 73' I was camping in Baxter State Park in Maine with my phd girl friend (perpetual condition white). Went to the dump after having picked up fresh molasss cookies in town. Big mistake...a medium size black bear, just under 5 ft standing, was entertaining the campers by dancing around on his hind legs and snapping up tidbits tossed to him. Funny looking because the scraped fluff seemed like a ballet dancer's tutu around his hips.

Ol blackie smelled the cookies and quickly, I mean quickly, ran to the wagon and smacked his fore paws on the roof, dragging his claws down and catching the edge of the window. The was only a starting gap of 1 1/2". My left hand went immediately to the window crank as I looked at his claws about 6" from my face. And I was losing the tug of war. Yelled at the woman professor to throw cookies of the roof while I backed the wagon up pdq.
Cookies worked, but the windows was down by 6 more inches. If I hadn't had the sense to leave the engine running...well enuf' said.

Edge of the drip rail looked like bread knife.

Woman prof. thought it was cute. Sold the wagon and her after getting home. ;>)

Omni04
October 19, 2005, 06:18 PM
Sounds like the guy beat his wife in the footrace. :)

that was wrong on sooooo many levels! :D

October 19, 2005, 06:26 PM
Working on Resolution Island(120kms from shore) in the middle '90s. Guy comes in and says some polar bears are coming ashore down near the landing(at the bottom of the road from the top of the hill). I'm not dressed so everybody else runs out and jumps on the quads to run down the access road to the landing. I get on the ARGO(6-wheeled slow-mover) and start down by myself in my ECW cammo parka. As I'm toodling along the trail down into the valley(where we had seen bear tracks a few days before) with the fog drifting in, I suddenly realize that I'm by myself on a slow moving, open vehicle looking kinda like a nice fat walrus. Turned around and went back up the mountain to call the wife instead.

Cosmoline
October 19, 2005, 06:28 PM
People throwing tidbits to the bears to watch them "dance" are right up there with Treadwell. It's amazing what folks used to consider appropriate behavior. :banghead:

Cosmoline
October 19, 2005, 06:40 PM
Turned around and went back up the mountain to call the wife instead.

Wise move. Some military contractors working at an isolated Arctic station on the slope in the '90's actually got attacked while they were inside their station. The bear walked up on a snow back and smashed in their main window, waltzing in with every intention of eating them. It badly mauled a man and was only stopped when one contractor brought out his shotgun and killed it. IIRC, that fellow was promptly termintated for violating DOD restrictions against having firearms.

As a sidenote to that, the contractor who was mauled sued the feds under the FTCA. His case was dismissed by revived on appeal in Chaffin v. U.S., 176 F.3d 1208 (9th Cir. 1999)

I like this bit:

"Another co-worker eventually killed the bear with a shotgun, which was hidden in his bedroom and not readily accessible because it was possessed in contravention of the firearm policy dictated by Lockheed Martin's contract with the Air Force. Chaffin suffered grave, permanent, and disfiguring injuries due to the attack."
"Finally, Chaffin contends that the government's insistence on prohibiting firearms at the site creates an issue of fact as to the government's liability under Restatement § 410, which authorizes employer liability where the employer has given negligent instructions to an independent contractor, see Moloso, 644 P.2d at 217. Restatement § 410 provides:
The employer of an independent contractor is subject to the same liability for physical harm caused by an act or omission committed by the contractor pursuant to orders or directions negligently given by the employer, as though the act or omission were that of the employer himself.
The district court correctly observed that the government never gave the contractor any specific directions about bear safety. However, the record read in the light most favorable to Chaffin leaves unresolved questions about the relationship between the government as landowner and the contractor as Chaffin's employer.

In citing the Restatement, we express no opinion as to whether any of the exceptions to the FTCA's waiver of government immunity may preclude a cause of action for negligence against the United States, particularly with respect to the ban on firearms."

Thus, the government's insistance that firearms be banned in the contract was an issue of fact for the jury--though the liberal 9th circuit made it clear with that last quip that if they were to examine it in the FTCA context they might decide the government was immune even if negligent.

Nevertheless, it's an interesting precedent for cases where private employers (with no FTCA and no sovereign immunity) ban firearms.

rick_reno
October 19, 2005, 06:48 PM
I won't carry bear spray, I don't how to use it. I carry a handgun, I know how it works.

rudolf
October 19, 2005, 06:59 PM
People throwing tidbits to the bears to watch them "dance" are right up there with Treadwell. It's amazing what folks used to consider appropriate behavior. :banghead:

Never heard about the main dish serving the apetizer before :)

If you enjoyed reading about "he fumbled with his bear spray while his wife was being attacked" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!