Do You ENJOY Reloading?

PDA

DT Guy
October 19, 2005, 11:18 PM
If you could get ammo just as good, just as cheap, would you reload anyway?

Larry

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You ENJOY Reloading?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
adobewalls
October 19, 2005, 11:37 PM
Yep, its part of the zen of being "a tinkerer" (and having an engineering background.) I still buy ammo, depending on what I am doing - but I also always have my specialty loads tailored to specific activities.

Steve in PA
October 19, 2005, 11:39 PM
Yes I do.

Its like tying your own flies, digging your own worms :D , building your own sail boat, etc...........

HSMITH
October 19, 2005, 11:46 PM
I do it for cost and availability reasons. If I could afford to buy the ammo I go through and it was equal quality I would.

LHB1
October 19, 2005, 11:50 PM
YES! Like most people I started reloading to save money but somewhere along the line I got hooked. Now I reload for the satisfaction of shooting my own ammunition and being able to tailor that ammo to whatever velocity and combo I want within safe limits. I now use three progressive presses, an arbor press with three sets of bench rest dies, and several top quality powder measures including a Neil Jones PM. For me, reloading has progressed well beyond an economy measure and blossomed into a full blown hobby of its own.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Wil Terry
October 19, 2005, 11:50 PM
My other hobby, shooting. It's sorta like an inch thick layer of frosting on the mighty tasty cake called, shooting!!

Lennyjoe
October 20, 2005, 12:34 AM
Sure, I enjoy it. My back on the other hand lets me know when it's time to quit for the night.

yorec
October 20, 2005, 01:10 AM
There's just something satisfying about those rows of shiny cartridges and knowing you are the reason they are ready to be used. Just an independant streak I suppose... ;)

The Bushmaster
October 20, 2005, 01:13 AM
The only ammunition that I've bought in the past 20 years is .22 LR...I'd load it if I could...

Valkman
October 20, 2005, 03:55 AM
Yep, I like it. Then again, I make my own knives! :)

tc300mag1
October 20, 2005, 06:57 AM
yes It just like anyother hobbie i like

Rico567
October 20, 2005, 06:58 AM
I am neither interested nor capable of making anything other than ammunition -with the possible exception of words, and the odd slab of dry rub ribs- and it's difficult for me to assess WHY I'm still interested in reloading for its own sake, after more than four decades at it.

Sleeping Dog
October 20, 2005, 07:48 AM
I enjoy it. Trimming brass length can get tedious, as well as running mass quantities of 30-06 through the sizing die. But overall, I like it.

capbuster
October 20, 2005, 09:33 AM
I find reloading a very satisfying hobby in itself. It has provided me with quality ammuntion for years which is tailor made for my firearms.I highly recommend it to all shooters.

Lennyjoe
October 20, 2005, 10:18 AM
Trimming brass length can get tedious
Especially if your reloading for an AR;)

armoredman
October 20, 2005, 10:40 AM
I enjoy the heck out of it.:cool:

Red_SC
October 20, 2005, 10:52 AM
It's a good way to relax. If I could buy equal ammo at an the same price, I'm sure I'd buy some, but I'd still reload some, too.

Cherokee
October 20, 2005, 12:45 PM
Yes Yes Yes

DT Guy
October 20, 2005, 05:43 PM
Looks like I should have put a "only shoot to empty the cases" category!

:)

Larry

Chris Rhines
October 20, 2005, 07:38 PM
Not really. I reload to shoot more - I'd much rather spend time shooting and wrenching on guns. If Black Hills would drop-ship a few cases of .40 and .223 to my home every month, I'd give up reloading altogether. :D

- Chris

Shear_stress
October 20, 2005, 07:44 PM
Let's put it this way: I enjoy reloading, but, better yet, I enjoy having reloaded.

Vane
October 21, 2005, 12:45 AM
:)You bet! Although, the best part is empyting the case again!:) :evil:

happy old sailor
October 21, 2005, 03:23 AM
i do it and enjoy it. consider it recycling. shoot, reload, shoot, reload ad finitum. get more use from this stuff before taking it to a salvage yard. doing the "good citizin" thing. persons of the future will thank me for not depleting the planet of resources.

those are not my real reasons, but, my politicaly correct response. YMMV

Matthew748
October 21, 2005, 07:14 AM
I like reloading. I think it is fun and productive. As mentioned earlier, the only task I hate is case trimming. Depending on my stock of components, sometimes I throw away .223 and .308 cases when they need trimming.

swifter
October 21, 2005, 12:21 PM
Well, I'm damn near in the "I only shoot so I can reload" catagory!:D I even find brass prep enjoyable! I don't load much handgun anymore, but I have a few wildcat rifle chamberings that require handloading. Its a pursuit where you can constantly learn, and keep your mind active.

Tom

ReloaderFred
October 21, 2005, 05:37 PM
If I didn't enjoy it, I would have quit about 43 years ago. I get great satisfaction in producing a quality product for my own use. I also shoot a couple of calibers that there are no commercial loads for, but those came much later in my reloading career, so they were just bonuses to my all ready enjoyable pastime.

Fred

Ben Shepherd
October 21, 2005, 08:48 PM
Me thinks your poll is a bit biased:D .

I enjoy it in it's own right, but then again, I'm one of those screwballs that casts his own bullets.

moredes
October 22, 2005, 01:03 AM
I absolutely positively *HATE* to reload.

I don't do it for better accuracy than OEM; I don't even care about OEM accuracy, especially in my pistols.

Sub-MOA rifle loads?? who cares? At 800-1000yd, the extra 1/2 MOA's accuracy I could get by reloading isn't gonna be the reason I miss the X ring. Th'only reason I reload is, I'm cheap. I couldn't afford the guns I buy if I didn't reload.

Kamicosmos
October 22, 2005, 01:44 AM
I enjoy it as a hobby and time consuming activity. I still buy some ammo on occasion. But I wouldn't give up reloading just because I was suddenly rich or getting free ammo.

(Okay, if I was rich or getting free ammo, I wouldn't load as much...)

rick_reno
October 22, 2005, 01:46 AM
Not really. I did years back when I was doing load development - these days it's just making ammo and it's something I have to do assuming I want to keep shooting. I'm done tinkering.

P0832177
October 22, 2005, 04:40 AM
After 32 years of reloading I still get a bang out of it! Pardon the pun!:)

I have thinned my herd so to speak, worked on logistics with respect to components. I buy in bulk, 5K primers, 8# jugs of powder, and bullets in 5K lots. Do I save money? Hell no, but sure get more bang for the buck! :D

But, I find reloading relaxing! :neener: I have the ultimate trimmer so that is no longer a problem. Doug Giraud makes the best trimmer bar none! Sure it costs money! But, it sure saves time loading the 223 and 308!:evil:

Peter M. Eick
October 22, 2005, 09:45 AM
To me, there is so much science in reloading that the more I do of it, the more I realize how much of an amateur I am at it. After 25 years of reloading, I guess that is called wisdom, because before I "knew" what I was doing, now I "test everything".

Reloading is as much of a science as you wish to make it. Right now I am really into understanding the science of it.

The Bushmaster
October 22, 2005, 12:24 PM
30 people don't like to reload? There is plenty of "cheap" ammunition on the market. So why do you perssist in reloading your ammunition? Send me all your reloading equipment and I will solve the drudgery of reloading for you.:D

Chris Rhines
October 22, 2005, 01:09 PM
There is plenty of cheap ammo on the market, and most of it is crap. Life is too short. On the other hand, if you know of anyone peddling Black Hills .40 180grn JHPs for under $200/case, I'll trade a 550b for a few cases...

- Chris

jaimeshawn
October 22, 2005, 02:23 PM
I was on the Dillon web-site and they have a spreadsheet that shows how much money you will save reloading and how it will pay for a Dillon press... Yeah right!

Well since I started reloading, I've kept track and my spending on 'ammunition' on an annual basis went up - so any 'savings' are false economies. I 'spend' all my so-called-savings from reloading, and then some, on even more components; plus I make 30-30, 38spl, 300WM as gifts for my nephews and father... (I have a large and heavily armed extended family.)

Midway is very smart selling Lee stuff even cheaper than the Lee factory, to encourage newbies to start reloading. Once you start it's like being a junkie handling your gear - you get high just playing with it.

Berek
October 25, 2005, 12:20 AM
I still buy my ammo, but it's only to replenish the brass supply. :D

Berek

The Bushmaster
October 25, 2005, 09:24 PM
Everyone have their excusses, Berek:D ...What's wrong with once fired range brass??;)

scott5
October 26, 2005, 12:11 AM
Hello all,
It's such a relaxing hobby, I can go into the garage and spend an hour checking the books for a load then spend 15 minutes loading one hundred rounds of pistol or twenty of rifle.

Sometimes I load so much that I run out of brass, so I have to go out and shoot to emty the brass that I loaded.:rolleyes:

Then comes the cleaning of the guns.

But when you start reloading you are ingaged in four hobbies maybe five.
1)Shooting
2)Reloading
3)cleaning
4)Buying components for the above
5)Buying and selling the guns for whatever reason

I needed to add that store bought ammo is too expensive when I can loadup what works in my guns for a third of the cost.

shooter05
October 26, 2005, 07:04 PM
I enjoy learning more about guns and shooting in general. Reloading is relaxing because you need to concentrate so peacefulness is the benefit. Plus you get to admire your work at the range and make some noise.

BigJakeJ1s
October 26, 2005, 08:42 PM
I enjoy learning more about guns and shooting in general. Reloading is relaxing because you need to concentrate so peacefulness is the benefit. Plus you get to admire your work at the range and make some noise.

I'm with shooter05 on this. I enjoy getting to know the technical details of how guns and ammunition interact, how the reloading process works, presses, etc.

I reload 45 colt, because it gets expensive shooting store bought fodder. But I buy my 9mm lugar, 9mm makarov, and 7.62 Tokarev, since I can get them fairly cheap ($4-$7.50/box) locally. Having Cabellas and CheaperThanDirt in town is really nice!

I only have a hand press (a nice huntington model), but I think I like doing most of the operations in my easy chair in the family room while we watch TV, etc. I dump powder and seat bullets at the kitchen table. Sure, I dream of a tinkering with a technically complex progressive press, but OTOH, I'd probably have to use it in a room by myself.

Andy

mattdus
October 26, 2005, 11:51 PM
I mainly load due to cost, my local range is not cheap, they require you to purchase ammo or loading components from them (this is done instead of range fees). At almost $200 for 500 rounds of .45 ACP ready loaded I have found it cheaper to load with components from them which comes to around $65 for 500 rounds which includes a pound of powder that will make well over 500 rounds. I have found loading ammo to be a great way to enjoy my hobby when I cant make it to the range to shoot as well.

Matt

anonanon
October 28, 2005, 08:56 PM
I enjoy reloading, but I enjoying testing the loads more.

jmoney
October 29, 2005, 10:11 AM
I started reloading in '86 mainly for the cost. Then I took a 19 year hiatus. Now I'm back to reloading, again primarily for the cost. But I've also begun using it as an activity for my son (9) and I to do together. It helps his dexterity (handling the bullets) and also gives us an opportunity to spend some time together. He also gets a kick out of firing off the misloaded primers that sometimes occur. :)

oct_97
October 29, 2005, 11:11 AM
I do it for cost and availability reasons. If I could afford to buy the ammo I go through and it was equal quality I would.

Me too

caz223
October 29, 2005, 03:25 PM
I reload as an education, to learn what makes better ammo.
So I can make better ammo, and never run out of it.
I *tire* of paying $15 a box for .357 mag ammo when I can make better stuff for about $12 / hundred.
We won't even talk about the cost of factory .41 magnum, or full powered 10mm ammo.
I got to the point where I even load 9mm, but I shoot 147 grain JHPs for the cost of buying WWWB FMJ. More accurate, too.
Then I got to enjoy the solitude of making my own, I didn't have any friends that could support their habit, at least not able to churn up enough ammo to do speed drills all afternoon without a HINT of guilt that maybe I spend too much money on it.
Then there's the carefully considered cost of ownership.
The biggest expendature in shooting is the cost of the ammo, so if I can save on the cost of shooting, I can afford better guns, and I can shoot them more. I win.
That's why I like reloading.
(Also I like having a bench full of expensive elaborate tools that none of my friends are familiar with.)

I guess my point is that I *can't* get ammo just as good for the same price.

scott5
October 29, 2005, 05:53 PM
What caz223 said:
"I reload as an education, to learn what makes better ammo.
So I can make better ammo, and never run out of it.
I *tire* of paying $15 a box for .357 mag ammo when I can make better stuff for about $12 / hundred.
We won't even talk about the cost of factory .41 magnum, or full powered 10mm ammo.
I got to the point where I even load 9mm, but I shoot 147 grain JHPs for the cost of buying WWWB FMJ. More accurate, too.
Then I got to enjoy the solitude of making my own, I didn't have any friends that could support their habit, at least not able to churn up enough ammo to do speed drills all afternoon without a HINT of guilt that maybe I spend too much money on it.
Then there's the carefully considered cost of ownership.
The biggest expendature in shooting is the cost of the ammo, so if I can save on the cost of shooting, I can afford better guns, and I can shoot them more. I win.
That's why I like reloading.
(Also I like having a bench full of expensive elaborate tools that none of my friends are familiar with.)"

My pistol load are 9MM and 357 mag. and my rifles are 6MM, 7MM Rem Mag., and 30 06.
My dad and I bought reloading stuff over a number of years so the inital outlay was not expensive, so buying factory ammo now makes no sense when I have all the stuff to make my own.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You ENJOY Reloading?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!