Question for FFL holders.

PDA

R.W.Dale
October 20, 2005, 07:09 AM
I was recently informed that when doing firearm transfers it is now legal to fax an FFL copy to the transfering dealer. Supposedly a new rule from the ATF. I'm pretty skeptical has anyone else heard of this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for FFL holders." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Janitor
October 20, 2005, 07:20 AM
Supposedly, yes. It *is* legal.

I don't know if all the FFL holders out there got the official notice from BATF or not yet, though I believe most of them should have by now. It's not new news, but if I were an FFL it wouldn't even be on my radar until I had hard copy from the ATF on the subject.

-

shooting time
October 20, 2005, 07:29 AM
I have to look but i am pretty sure i had read it in a newsletter the ATF sent out saying they will allow faxed copys

jacobtowne
October 20, 2005, 10:17 AM
"FFL Newsletter, " August, 2005.

"...ATF will now recognize a faxed copy of a Federal firearms license..."

"...legible copy..."

"..blurred or illegible copies ...may constitute noncompliance with regulations."

""FFLs may need to fax with a fax resolution setting of fine, superfine, or photo..."

JT

halvey
October 20, 2005, 10:18 AM
Not supposedly.

IT IS LEGAL.

madecov
October 20, 2005, 10:19 AM
Fax and E mail are OK.
I have e mailed a scanned copy of mine to several locations and done transfers.

Makes it easy and you don't have to make more copies, or even walk to the mailbox. :)

waterhouse
October 20, 2005, 02:59 PM
madecov, could you please post where you read about email being allowed? I have called the ATF and been told that emails are not OK, only faxes. Emailing would be much easier since a lot of faxes seem to blur the FFL number.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for FFL holders." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!