Ft Devens FTX

PDA

AechKay
October 20, 2005, 06:01 PM
W00t! I want everyone here to pray, chant, do whatever you can for rain this weekend. I've got a FTX out at Ft Devens and if it rains we're going to fire the m16s. *starts dancing around chanting* Anyone been there before or know what its like?

m16 for the win man. :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ft Devens FTX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Devonai
October 20, 2005, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately it's not Fort Devens any more, but Devens Reserve Training Area with about half the acreage as before. It's all fir forests with sandy earth in some areas. The only ranges I've been to there are 25-yarders with typical military foxhole/sandbag shooting positions. It may be a small place relatively speaking but it is still easy to get lost. Half of the darn thing is actually the impact zone from when there used to be an active arty range and is off-limits.

I'll be there for rifle qual with my unit in November. Have fun.

jdkelly
October 20, 2005, 07:54 PM
I spent two years active duty, 75-78, and a year in the reserves 78-79 at Fort Devens. It's been a while but what do you want to know?

Respectfully,

jdkelly

garyk/nm
October 20, 2005, 08:19 PM
jdkelly,
I was there 75-76 for ASA AIT; where were you?

jdkelly
October 20, 2005, 09:51 PM
I was in Signal Company of 10th SFG(a), I was not SF qualified but I was Airborne. My billets were just across the street from the rappelling tower. I had a lot fun at Devens.

Respectfully,

jdkelly

jamz
October 20, 2005, 09:55 PM
Hah. My mom lives just a town or two away from Fort Devens. Back when it was active, we used to hear the bombs and machine gun fire and small arms fire all weekend long. It was great. :D Plus, those big transport planes would circle around and drop out strings of guys and it was terribly exciting for my brother and I whenwe were younger.

--James

jdkelly
October 20, 2005, 10:25 PM
Plus, those big transport planes would circle around and drop out strings of guys and it was terribly exciting for my brother and I when we were younger.---jamz
Yeah, a couple times driving down Rt117, after getting out of the Army, I'd catch a C130 or C141 dropping a stick or two over Turner DZ.

I still have pictures somewhere taken over that DZ while suspened from a chute. Man that was fun!

Respectfully,

jkelly

garyk/nm
October 21, 2005, 08:59 AM
jdkelly, our chow hall was shared with 10th SF folks; we might have eaten together...small world!

jdkelly
October 22, 2005, 10:12 AM
...we might have eaten together...small world!---garyk/nm
Yeah, I guess it is! You were that young guy wearing green, right?:)

I took a ride up to Devens a couple of years ago it's really changed. The 10th went to CO. My team/BOP house was still there but all the other WW2 era buildings in the area were torn down. Cutler Army hospital is now MCI Shirley (a prison) and the Group motor pool was replaced with a nice new building.

I actually have a family connection as my uncle staged out of FT. Devens for europe during WW2 (he was a glider guy).

I didn't check on the ASA buildings.

Respectfully,

jdkelly

tech
October 22, 2005, 11:37 AM
I went to AIT(05H) there in 85. I heard they closed the place down and turned the officers housing into an upscale neighborhood.

Mike

jdkelly
October 22, 2005, 08:38 PM
They've changed the Fort into a business area, but it's really not located near anything.

I went to the old airport and it seemed to be run by the State Police. I didn't see any planes, but maybe it's an air wing or something.

There were/are NG or Reserves stationed there.

Respectfully,

jdkelly

If you enjoyed reading about "Ft Devens FTX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!