Mossberg ATR100 Rifle Review

PDA

goalie
October 20, 2005, 08:42 PM
WHAT: Mossberg ATR 100 rifle in .270 Win with black synthetic stock and matte black finish.

http://www.mossberg.com/model100atr.htm

WHY: I am going rifle hunting for deer this year instead of my usual muzzle-loading season due to a trip to Hawaii. I planned on using a nice, wood stocked .375 H&H, but decided that I did not want to tear up the stock dragging it up into tree stands. (Yeah, yeah, like I NEED a reason to buy a new rifle....)

HOW MUCH: It cost $244 at Wal-Mart. It came with bases installed, and I purchased Warne rings for another $25 to mount a Leopold Vari-X III 3.5-10 scope (that I already owned) onto the rifle. Total cost out the door was about $285.

FIT AND FINISH: Utilitarian. It is not pretty, but the bolt action is actually rather smooth. The stock is quite a bit stiffer in the forearm than the stocks I have seen on the Savage rifles. The finish of the metal appears to be some kind of spray-on matte finish.

Function: While it is not a tack-driving benchrest rifle, it shot rather well. After getting it on paper and dialed in at 25 yards, my first group at 50 yards was about .75 inches. My first group at 100 yards was about 1.5 inches. My best group at 100 yards was 1.25 inches, and the worst about 3.5 inches, which was the last group, shot rapid fire, with a HOT barrel. The average group size was between 1.25 and 1.5 inches when fired slow from a bench using a rest for the forearm and a sandbag under the butt.

The ammo used for testing was 130gr Fusion .270 ammo made by Federal. I will soon buy dies and reload for this rifle, and I expect that, as has been the case with every other rifle I have owned, I will be able to shrink the groups by at least 1/3 their size.

The trigger is single-staged, with a tiny bit of creep and a tad of overtravel. It was quite easy to shoot well with the trigger. The rifle functioned flawlessly, with no issues feeding, extracting, or ejecting, and the action was actually rather smooth. The recoil was also minimal (I'm used to a .375H&H off the bench, so take that for what it's worth).

OVERALL: I just bought a rifle for under $250 dollars that is more than accurate enough for the deer hunting terrain I will be in. I will not be worried about dinging up the stock while walking through the woods or dragging it up behind me into a deer-stand. I am actually quite suprised that one can buy a perfectly functional bolt-action rifle for what I paid for it. I would highly recommed this rifle to anyone looking at buying a true hunting rifle, especially for someone who is not going to use it to punch paper two dozen times a year, but is going to sight it in every fall, then hunt with it.

I will also post an accuracy update when I get the chance to shoot it at longer ranges.

Edit: The smaller group was my first group at 50 yards, the larger my first group at 100. It isn't a 1/4MOA gun, but then again, I shot the groups in real life, not over the internet......

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg ATR100 Rifle Review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunGoBoom
October 20, 2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the report. I'm sure that rifle won't do better than 1 foot groups without that scope - that Loopy magicall pulls the bullets in tight. :) Seriously, sounds like a really good gun for the money.

TrafficMan
October 20, 2005, 10:42 PM
accuracy looks pretty dang good for a $250.00 gun, i'm impressed...perhaps it will improve after it has been broken in a bit!

Fumbler
October 20, 2005, 11:09 PM
I've never seen an economy class sporter weight Remington 700 or Win M79 do any better than 1MOA with run of the mill ammo anyway, so I'd say the ATR is doing pretty darn good.

goalie
October 22, 2005, 03:55 PM
As an update, I went out and shot it again today just to verify the zero. The first shot from a clean/cold bore was a little low. Total for the five-shot group (indluding the low first shot) was about 2 inches. It groups an inch and a half for the other 4 shots. I am still quite pleased with the rifle.

:)

SCarruth
October 22, 2005, 05:05 PM
Excellent post, very informative.

Bullet Bob
October 22, 2005, 10:56 PM
Got my new issue of American Rifleman today, they reviewed your rifle, and came to the same conclusions you did.

ReadyontheRight
October 23, 2005, 12:27 AM
Gotta love a quality, inexpensive American-made rifle. :)

goalie
October 23, 2005, 02:25 AM
As an update, I went out and shot it again today just to verify the zero. The first shot from a clean/cold bore was a little low. Total for the five-shot group (indluding the low first shot) was about 2 inches. It groups an inch and a half for the other 4 shots. I am still quite pleased with the rifle.

:)

I actually measured the target tonight (sitting around with a Guiness in my hand surfing the web got me to thinking, and I always extimate bigger, since I get annoyed with the "I shot 1/4 MOA at 500 yards with a Daisy Red-Ryder posts...) and it turns out that the rifle shot a 5-shot group (I only shot 5-rounds to check the zero) of 1.75 inches center-to-center, with the one low shot from the cold-bore (though it could have been me). The other 4 shots were in a group that was 1.25 inches. The total horizontal spread of all 5 shots was less than 0.5 inches, as they were stung out vertically.

The 4-shot group was centered exactly where the rifle was zero'd earlier in the week: 1.5" high and dead center windage at 100 yards. Again, I have to say that I am rather impressed with this rifle's accuracy and trigger. It makes me wonder if the .30-06 would perform just as well. At $244 each, one could have a .270 and a .30-06 for less than my brother paid for his Remington 700 BDL that doesn't shoot any better with factory ammo (we shot them side-by-side this week).

P0832177
October 23, 2005, 03:29 AM
He is not kidding! The 2nd and 3rd shots were on top of each other. The horizontal spread was less then my thumb! A fellow has to ponder what it will do with hand loads?

Samuel_Hoggson
October 23, 2005, 09:44 AM
Spending more on a scope and mount than on your rifle, eh?

You are wise.

Sam

Mannlicher
October 23, 2005, 11:42 AM
I need another 30-06 rifle. Hey, I really do, I am not just kidding :)
I think that after Wilma blows through here, I am going to run down to Wally World and buy one.
I was impressed with the review in American Rifleman, and pleased to see corroboration here.

Tropical Z
October 23, 2005, 04:56 PM
1.Aren't they really made overseas somewhere?
2.Can they be had in .308?

goalie
October 23, 2005, 05:20 PM
1.Aren't they really made overseas somewhere?

Unless the hurricane coming in turns Texas into "overseas somewhere," then no, it is made in the USA!!! (That's the best part)

2.Can they be had in .308?

No, they are only in .270 and .30-06 right now.

Ash
October 23, 2005, 10:43 PM
They use the barrel nut in a similar fashon to the Savage except there are no ridges to grip to remove them. Yet, the 100ATR has a true reciever/barrel mating and, fundamentally, is not really any different from any other standard rifle. Thanks for the posting. I have been looking at them for a 270 knock-about rifle.

Ash

goalie
November 7, 2005, 12:06 PM
Well, mine did just fine deer hunting this weekend. I am quite sure the deer didn't know it was shot with an inexpensive rifle, and it fell where it was shot.

On a side note, I am quite impressed with the Fusion .270 ammo from Federal. Rather impressive results on a deer that weighed around 200 pounds. The 130 grain bullet entered the chest cavity, penetrated, and exited through the far side leaving a 1/2" hole. Not too shabby for an 80 yard shot (per my range finder). I had been worried the bullet would not hold together if I had a close shot, since it is going so fast.

Red Tornado
November 7, 2005, 01:26 PM
I believe American Rifleman called it the Mossberg 500 of rifles. That's a great goal, and should insure that it's around for years to come, and will probably eventually have additional chamberings.

Thanks for the report, Goalie.
RT

dakotasin
November 7, 2005, 01:59 PM
On a side note, I am quite impressed with the Fusion .270 ammo from Federal. ... The 130 grain bullet entered the chest cavity, penetrated, and exited through the far side leaving a 1/2" hole. Not too shabby for an 80 yard shot (per my range finder). ...

ok, this statement has me perplexed a little, and i'd like a little more info, here.

i see internet and magazine pics all the time of recovered bullets, and how the bullet was found under the hide on the offside or whatever. i've shot a deer or two, and been party to another kill or two, and to date, i have never recovered a bullet. i've shot deer long (500-ish yards), and i've shot them short (under 10 feet). i've shot them w/ magnums, i've shot them w/ standards, and i've shot them w/ standard cup-n-core bullets, monolithic, bonded core, and plastic tips. i've shot them thru shoulder bone, thru backbone, ribs, and i've hit them at every conceivable angle. i've shot big bucks, little does, and everything in between (dressed body weights of 300 pounds down to 125). i've shot a couple w/ factory loads, but the vast majority has been handloads...

so... my question: your statement about the fusion bullets performance (the exit) as being particularly good performance - well, do you have problems getting bullets to leave the body w/ other ammo? when i first read your post, i thought to myself 'well, what did you expect?', but in all seriousness, and w/o being rhetorical, what did you expect? and why was the fusion performance so much better than whatever else?

goalie
November 7, 2005, 05:42 PM
so... my question: your statement about the fusion bullets performance (the exit) as being particularly good performance - well, do you have problems getting bullets to leave the body w/ other ammo? when i first read your post, i thought to myself 'well, what did you expect?', but in all seriousness, and w/o being rhetorical, what did you expect? and why was the fusion performance so much better than whatever else?

To answer your question, I didn't know what to expect, as it was the first deer that I ever shot with a rifle. I usually muzzle-load for deer, and the results have been impressive, but the shots all relatively short (no scopes on blackpowder rifles in MN). I had just read about how small, fast bullets can sometimes break-up when hitting the animal at short range unless you use very expensive premium ammo with partition bullets blah blah blah..... That didn't happen, my not-too-expensive Fusion ammo worked as intended, so I am happy.

goalie
January 27, 2007, 08:20 PM
I just thought I would add an update to my review. Over a year has gone by since I got the Mossberg ATR-100, and today I went out shooting in the bitter cold with a guy from work.

It shot 3 rounds of the same 130 grain Fusion ammo into one, almost dead-center, hole for me when checking the zero for some upcoming coyote hunting.

The trigger has improved with use.

The finish has proved durable while dragging the rifle up into my Summit Viper tree stand.

I would still give this rifle a big thumbs-up to anyone looking for a hunting rifle.

rangerruck
January 28, 2007, 12:51 AM
yeah, if you take a close look , it is actually like a howa clone, and the stock , I think , is pretty innovative. they built in sling studs, and the way it has the almost bed / pillar work to it.

MudPuppy
January 28, 2007, 12:56 AM
I ended up with a 710 from a neighbor without doing the research--I wished I'd have gotten one of these. :(

BAT1
January 28, 2007, 04:17 PM
Does any body have one in this caliber? Looks too good to pass up.

Lucky
March 26, 2007, 01:42 AM
Thanks Goalie, I'm sold! I need a rifle to tend me over, a gunsmith class where I was going to build a rifle was cancelled, so the Mossberg ATR it is!

Thanks again for taking the time.

Scott

foghornl
March 26, 2007, 01:33 PM
I have the .30-06 version of "Goalie's" rifle. With most commercial soft-point ammo, will hold well under 2" for 5 shots @100Yds.

Shooting buddy got under 0.7" @100 Yds with Federal Match ammo....better than I can shoot.

Onmilo
March 27, 2007, 10:14 AM
I like these rifles as much as I like Mossberg shotguns.
Nothing fancy but they work well and you won't feel bad beating it around.
An ultimate hunting rifle.
The only thing missing is a good set of factory iron sights and I have been making a little extra money putting them on rifles for the customers who want them.

Smitty in CT
March 27, 2007, 10:43 AM
The only thing missing is a good set of factory iron sights...

They're available with Williams rifle sights now, too:

http://www.mossberg.com/images/products/4X4/26460.jpg

This picture is of their new centerfire, called the 4x4, it looks like the same action as the 100ATR with a drop mag. Kind of a cool looking stock.

Check out their new catalog:

http://www.mossberg.com/images/dcatalog/Mossberg2007GunAnnual.pdf

Smitty

BTW, I have a 100ATR in .270, using 130gr. Federal Nosler Ballistic Tips I can get sub 1-inch groups @ 100 yards, it took a long time to find the right combo that worked, though.

Lucky
March 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
Now I can't wait, I got the 30.06 too but it won't come until mid april.

goalie
March 27, 2007, 01:20 PM
I'm glad to see other people had the same results as I did. I am likely to get a '06 myself, just to have a beater rifle in that caliber that I would trust on a serious hunt.

Lucky
April 8, 2007, 05:17 PM
Goalie what does the ATR have for sling attachment?

http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=8&display=feat Integrated swivel studs for quick-release sling swivels

This is my first bolt rifle, and I'm not sure whether I need to buy an add-on to attach a sling? How about attaching a bipod? Ideally I'd like to attach both a sling and a bipod, if there's a way.
bipod: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/71068-6246-720.html

eidsvolling
April 8, 2007, 05:51 PM
You won't need any add-on for a sling. Uncle Mike's Super Swivels (http://www.hoppes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=7042263&catky=1279575&subcatky1=&subcatky2=) work just fine with my synthetic stock .30-06. Haven't looked at any bipod attachments, so maybe someone else can respond to that question.

And for the record, my .30-06 is amazingly accurate for the money as well. And for more money, IMO. Why I'd want to buy a more expensive rifle for my brush-crawling, slope-traversing, wet weather hunting is a mystery to me. Unless it were that 4x4 version . . .

Mossberg Mariner -- love it.
Mossberg ATR-100 -- love it (would love it even more witth iron sights.)
But a Mossberg Plinkster, in any of its iterations -- not on your life.

Lucky
April 8, 2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks, I'm picturing that it has a lump moulded as part of the stock, that you put the swivel through? I've never had a bipod before, so I'm not sure if one will fit on that.

goalie
April 8, 2007, 07:46 PM
You are correct. The stock has molded in holes for sling swivels to attach to. I put a quick-adjust nylon sling with Uncle Mike's quick-attach sling swivels on mine.

Smitty in CT
April 8, 2007, 10:01 PM
I addedd a ATI bipod to mine, I had to modify the metal collar that fits over the front sling mount to attach the bipod by "notching" it with a die grinder, the bipod was cheap ($20 on eBay) and it gets the job done.
I will take some pictures of it tommorrow and post the instuctions.

Smitty

rangerruck
April 8, 2007, 11:57 PM
the beauty is, if you find one of the earlier atr models, you will find a couple in 243, now and again. it is also made with built in swivel loops, so it will be a bit diff to put on a bipod.

Lucky
April 9, 2007, 01:42 AM
Thanks, and Smitty please do.

parolebear
April 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
I traded for a Mossberg 100 because I got into it for a little amount for an '06. I planned to sell it but messed up and shot it first. I mounted a cheap Tasco and from 50 yds everything was under 1.5 to 2.0 inches the three times I shot. I then mounted a Leupold 6x42, handloaded some ammo and got to 1.50 at 100, I do not shoot that good. I found it to be a very nice rifle that I would trust for any hunt. I have shot a Remington 600 in 308 for about 25 years and never planned to hunt with anything else. I will keep my throw away and hunt with it for longer range hunting. Thanks

Smitty in CT
April 10, 2007, 01:28 PM
First, I took the threaded adapter that normally fits over a swivel stud and "notched" it with a die grinder so that it fit over the molded-in sling mount. The ATI kit has another swivel mount under the bipod so you still have a sling mount.
http://www.shootingworld.com/bbs/copper/albums/userpics/normal_Picture_004.jpg
Secondly, I slid the retaining pin in and made sure everything fit snugly, then I assembled per the ATI instructions.
http://www.shootingworld.com/bbs/copper/albums/userpics/normal_close-up.jpg
Sorry for the blurry close-up, I have a cheapo camera...

http://www.shootingworld.com/bbs/copper/albums/userpics/normal_bipod_folded.jpg

http://www.shootingworld.com/bbs/copper/albums/userpics/normal_bipod_open.jpg

Lucky
April 10, 2007, 07:35 PM
i get it now; thanks. That's a fancy bit of work. http://www.atigunstocks.com/images/Bipod-feather/Remington/Rem%20Instructionlarg2.jpg

Smitty in CT
April 10, 2007, 09:25 PM
i get it now; thanks. That's a fancy bit of work. http://www.atigunstocks.com/images/B...ctionlarg2.jpg

It was actually pretty easy, the adapter piece (they call it a mounting column) is made out of aluminum, so, it is fairly soft and easy to work with. The whole modification could be done with a hand file, but, since I had the die grinder available, it made short work of it.

Total time to do the mod was 15 minutes, maximum, probably less.

Smitty

Lucky
April 10, 2007, 10:37 PM
This is why the internet is good, thanks for the advice.

vega
April 17, 2007, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the report. I had the chance to buy a used one in 30-06 with no scope for $100.:D 9 days to go before I can get it from my FFL.

jmckiley
May 8, 2007, 05:00 PM
Yhis is my ist post and am glad i did some research today. I have been thinking of getting a Mossy for a couple of months and everythig i have read has been positive. I need a new drag round Elk rifle in 06 and this sounds like the rifle i am looking for. I'll drop a 3-10x44 Mueller Sport Dot on top and should be set for yers to come. All my rifles have Muellers on top and I like them so much thats what will continue going on my new guns. Jess

Smitty in CT
May 8, 2007, 05:42 PM
Welcome Jess!!

I'm sure you will be happy with the ATR. I have heard great things about the Muellers scopes.

92GreenYJ
May 10, 2007, 04:19 PM
I just joined this board yesterday and I must say I am glad I did. I am getting back into shooting along with my Mother and room mate and I just purchased a 100 ATR in the .270 caliber and have since been looking for reveiws of the gun and this is the first one I have found. I wont actually have my rifle in hand until the 16th thanks to ************s 10 day waiting period so all i can do for now is read up on my gun. I am very glad to see it getting favorable reveiws.

I got the synthetic stock version with the factory Mossy scope and polished barrel. Can't wait to get it out on the range

TCB in TN
May 10, 2007, 07:44 PM
I traded for a used one in 30-06 a couple of weeks ago, (for my oldest son) it had a 3x9x50 simmons pro hunter scope, got it for $225. Both he and I have shot it just a little (I shot off had at 80 yards and put 5 rounds into a 3in group) My son shot it at 50 yards prone (5 rounds into a 1 1/2). Just using 150gr rem core lock, decent trigger, pretty smooth bolt, and shoots straight, what else can you ask for. In the next few weeks I hope to get a chance to really sit down with the sand bags and see what I can get out of it.

Smitty in CT
May 10, 2007, 09:51 PM
...using 150gr rem core lock...

I have the 100ATR in .270, I tied a LOT of ammo trying to find the best combination. The 150gr remington Core Lokt were the worst of all, even at the worst they were hiting 2-1/2" at 100 yards.

The 130 gr. Federal Nosler Ballistic tips will consistantly hit in groups of 1", I use a bipod, if I tried handloads I could probably get it tighter.

There is a great article in the latest issue of Shooting Times on the 100ATR and the new 4x4. The 4x4 is on the cover...

http://www.shootingtimes.com/shootingtimes_cover.jpg

Harry in SC
July 7, 2007, 05:17 PM
So yesterday I purchased a brand new ATR 100. This is my first hunting rifle and I have never been hunting before. I need to get a scope and a sling because the rifle did not come with these things. I only paid $150.00 for the rifle. Based on what I have read, I got one heck of a deal! I am looking for some suggestions on what type of scope to get and also a sling with a carrying case. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's post on this site. It seems like everyone who is on here knows what they are talking about. I am looking forward to getting some suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Harry

rangerruck
July 8, 2007, 12:49 AM
Allright harry, if you got a bran'new rifle for 150 dollars, the store made about a 100 dollar mistake, or they are blowing them out. Please tell us, where o where this store is?

vega
July 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
Since you got a nice deal on a rifle I say go get a Leupold. I put a Vx-II
3x9-40 on mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/g19/Picture014.jpg

Don't you hate flyers? Not the rifle's fault but mine.
The smaller holes are 223s, I'm still trying to find the right combination.

Harry in SC
July 8, 2007, 11:54 AM
"Allright harry, if you got a bran'new rifle for 150 dollars, the store made about a 100 dollar mistake, or they are blowing them out. Please tell us, where o where this store is?"

Rangerruck...no mistake here and it was also not a blow-out sale. I have a connection...that is the only reason I got this rifle for the price I paid. (Hint: Pawn shops are the place to go...make friends with the owner.) I am just glad to know they are such good rifles. Can anyone give me some information on some affordable and good quality scopes? I also need to know what kind of rings I will need to mount the scope with. I am a rookie at this stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Harry

30mag
August 13, 2008, 11:09 AM
I've had a Mossberg ATR-100 in .30-06 for over a year now and I have no complaints. I've never changed the scope, and with factory Remington core-lokt ammo, and the scope that came on it, I can usually do about 4" groups at 100 yards, but I'm a pretty crappy shot with a scope. (it's been awhile since I've punched any holes in paper (I really don't remember)... I usually just set a water bottle up at roughly 100 yards and shoot at it)
I'm thinking about buying a leupold, but I'm thinking I'm gonna buy a handgun first. Anyways, my friend has a ATR-100 with a heavy barrel and a trigger job, and it is a freakin' tack driver. In my opinion, the ATR-100 is the best rifle for the money on the market. Even with the heavy barrel, trigger job, and nice scope, I'm almost certain that his Mossberg is still cheaper than a Model 700.
Perhaps a 700 has a better fit and finish, but the bullet doesn't care what the rifle looks like.

john917v
August 13, 2008, 02:31 PM
My pop's got one in .270. They have them in 2 WSSM calibers now. His is the camo-finish one. For $250, what's not to love?! It shoots great, the finishing/machining are pretty good, the bolt throw is smooth, and she shoots straight! Get it!!

bragood
August 13, 2008, 02:51 PM
Anyone know where I can get aftermarket stocks and barrels for the atr?

Ash
August 13, 2008, 06:44 PM
Barrels are probable not a problem, depending on thread (they may even use Savage barrels). Stocks, on the other hand, probably not so easy if at all possible without going custom.

Ash

jackv
August 15, 2008, 08:56 PM
Just bought a 100-ATR in .243 Winchester. Paid $309 with the scope and rings installed. After sighting it in I was able to shoot a 3 shot 1" group. I was shooting cheap Federal Power-Shok ammo at $12.99 a box. The scope is a 3-9x40mm and appears to be made by Simmons. My twelve year old son shot a 3 inch group at 100 yards. It was his first time shooting a deer rifle and he was really impressed by the lack of recoil.

Smitty in CT
August 15, 2008, 10:47 PM
...The scope is a 3-9x40mm and appears to be made by Simmons...
I did some research a while back when I got my .270 ATR, the scope is a Tasco World Class, model # DWC39X40M

http://www.tasco.com/product-images/Riflescopes/DWC39X40M.jpg

scythefwd
August 15, 2008, 11:56 PM
tropical Z,
The 100ATR is only in 06 or 270, but the 4X4 uses the same action and gets good reviews as well and it comes in many more calibers (I don't remember if .308 is one, but 7mm mag was:) )

Cucumber
November 23, 2008, 01:14 AM
scythefwd and john917v,

I can't say that it was the case back in 05' when tropical Z posted his question (as I wasn't looking into Mossberg rifles back then), but as of January 2008, the ATR is indeed, available in .308 Winchester.

Specifically, the ATR is available in two short-action and two long-action cartridges:
.243 Win, .308 Win, .270 Win, and 30-06 Springfield.

Mossy's newer line, the 4X4, is currently available in six long-action calibers:
25-06, .270 Win, 30-06 Sprg, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, and 338 Win Mag.

The 4X4 does not offer a short-action cartridge at present.

john317v, I am curious as to where you found that Mossberg is now offering wssm cartridges in their centerfire rifles? Their website currently only lists the above mentioned calibers for both the ATR & 4X4, offered in a wide variety of stocks, and barrel options of matte-blued or Marinecoat (Mossy's patented version of Stainless Steel.

Smitty in CT
November 23, 2008, 12:21 PM
Mossberg has also come out with a new trigger, they call it their LBA.

Here's a link to the Guns & Ammo article:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/Mossberg+new+lightning+Bolt+Action+Trigger+System
http://www.shootingworld.com/bbs/copper/albums/userpics/lba~0.jpg

http://www.shootingworld.com/bbs/copper/albums/userpics/lba.jpg

It also looks like they got rid of the "Skeletonized" butt stock on the synthetic stocked 4x4...

This article mentions it available in, at least, a .308....

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/mossbergs-4x4-bolt-action-rifle-road-blocker/?right=related

I'm hoping the triggers retro-fit the older guns, but, somehow I doubt it...

They'd rather sell a whole gun than just a trigger...

Cucumber
November 23, 2008, 04:16 PM
Oh great! One day after ordering a brand new 4X4 .270, you find info on an improved, adjustable trigger.

I've been contemplating on a new rifle for my son (15, about 100 lbs) for a couple of months now, for Mule & Whitetail deer and eventually shorter range elk.

I narrowed my caliber choices to either a short-action .308 or the long-action .270; I already own an A-bolt in .270 Win and would shoot it at literally anything in North America inside 300 yds. It is an incredibly accurate gun, with a scientist-like friend of mine who reloaded some rounds for me that produced three-shot groups that cover a dime (more/less same hole accuracy).

My budget wouldn't support another Browning, and I definitely wanted a rifle under 7 lbs with a detachable magazine, so I was considering the following models:

Remington 770 Sporter
Savage 10/110 GCNS or 16/116 FCSS
Tikka T3
Mossberg 4X4

I quickly ruled out the Remington for two simple reasons:
1. I actually discovered more Negative feedback from current owners than positive, despite the VERY attractive price (around $350-$380).
2. I could only find the 770 pre-equipped with a scope. Over the years, I've found it better to actually spend less on the gun, and MORE on the optics in achieving premium accuracy. To each his own on that one.

I heard almost nothing but very high regards for both the Savage and Tikka, with their prices in the $500-$550 range, depending on stock, barrel, etc. I was actually leaning towards the Tikka until I started reading more about the Mossberg 4X4 & ATR 100 and the independent reviews given by their owners. With mostly all good reports, and a price of $100 to $150 less than the Savage & Tikka, I began the arduous task of finding the specific model I wanted.

For 2008, Mossberg introduced a 4X4 "synthetic laminate" model (#265** series) in the blued-matte barrel with the skeletal stock and it really looks sharp in the picture. Like all the other 4X4's, it came in the six long-action calibers. I contacted several sporting goods stores in Washington State and beyond, including several online sites (Able Ammo, Bud's, etc) and none of them had even heard of this product line. After four different conversations with the folks at Mossberg corporate, I finally determined that they produced very few of this model in 08', scattering them abroad very modestly. I did get my hands on one of the distributors that they had shipped to and was able to find one in the .270 I desired (26502). After connecting the distributor with my FFL dealer, my new rifle.....er, my SON'S new rifle will be here w/in two weeks, well in time for a great surprise Christmas present.

The one occasional negative I did hear on the 4X4 was in inconsistency in the trigger pull. I felt that for $400, I could spend another $30-$50 to have a gunsmith fine tune it for me, should the need arise. I wonder if the new edition Lightning Bolt adjustable trigger would have been worth the wait? Time and practice at the range will tell.

I'm new at posting pics on message threads, but if it works, here's a pic of the model we ordered.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/26501.jpg

Where did you find/hear that Mossberg is going away from the "skeletal" style stocks in the 4X4 next year?

kmrcstintn
November 23, 2008, 06:12 PM
thanks for your honest appraisal; I am looking to get an affordable 'medium' rifle for toting in the woods; right now I have a Savage 111G in .25-06 w/ a Simmons Master Series Pro Hunter 6-21 x 44 scope that was to be a 'varmint' gun, but has done duty for deer since the guys in the group can't get together to blast varmints (the higher mag of the scope proves to be a bit challenging for aiming closer than 75 yards); I also have a Remington 700 SPS in .300 wsm w/ muzzle brake &Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 x 42 with BDC reticle that was intended for 'bigger aspirations later in life' (the overall length with the muzzle brake is a bit inhibitive in close quarters)

Smitty in CT
November 23, 2008, 06:46 PM
Where did you find/hear that Mossberg is going away from the "skeletal" style stocks in the 4X4 next year?

Well, they might not be "getting rid of it", but they are at least offering one without the skeleton butt stock, here's the links to the pics from Tac-Life:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/mossbergs-4x4-bolt-action-rifle-road-blocker/?right=related

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/boltaction.gif

MaxWolfMarrin
January 1, 2009, 04:46 PM
I just bought a Mossberg .270 100 ATR it has a factory mounted Mossberg 3-9X scope on it. I have been looking for information about the scope but I can’t find anything. My question is “should I get a new scope?” my initial reaction to the scope was: “typical eye relief, typical low light performance” I have an eye for optics in general but I haven’t seen enough rifle scopes to be able to compare to this one. So I don’t know how much I would be paying to improve upon it. Does anyone know anything about Mossberg optics? Are they made BY Mossberg or FOR Mossberg?

Smitty in CT
January 1, 2009, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know anything about Mossberg optics? Are they made BY Mossberg or FOR Mossberg?

They are made for Mossberg by whatever company makes the Tasco World Class model # DWC39X40N, the only thing changed is the M on the side...

http://www.tasco.com/single.cfm?s=Riflescopes&family=World%20Class&product=dwc39x40n

They can be found on-line from under $50 to about $70 bucks...

snakeman
January 1, 2009, 10:32 PM
I had a 100 atr that went from shooting 1 moa to 5 moa and i think it was my fault and the ammo I am used to excellent triggers darn my spoiled self!!!! Needless to say i lost confidence in how I was shooting the gun and got rid of it instead of worrying about injuring a deer and not taking it humanely. bad mistake got rid of a good rifle.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 1, 2009, 11:52 PM
Good review; thank you!

Hey cucumber, so that stock is actually made entirely of plastic, correct?

Antihero47
January 2, 2009, 12:46 AM
Yes, the 100 ATR's stock is completely plastic. I owned one that I purchased in October in 30-06. It was my first bolt action rifle. With Factory ammo I was able to get about 1.5" groups after sighting in the scope. I reloaded for it and was able to get 1 MOA to .9" five shot groups. This was from a simple load. I did not get too far into it however. My brother came back from texas and needed a cheap rifle. I offered my ATR to him.

I now have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 :evil:

rangerruck
January 2, 2009, 01:41 AM
I love the mossies, a very underrated rifle. my friend freefloated his, and did some handloads, and gets moa groups all the time.

WNTFW
January 2, 2009, 01:58 AM
I'm going to have to look at the Mossberg Rifles. I heard at one time they were made by Howa who makes the Wby Vanguards & made the S&W 1500s.

The OP mentioned 130gr Fusion .270 ammo made by Federal. The other day My brother & I were going to sight in some new rifles for a customer of his. The guy provided us with some of the fusion in .270 & .243. The .270 was $52 bucks for 20 rounds. I told my bro to pick up some cheap monarch ammo to make sure the rifles was close before using the Fusion. Only shot 2 3-hot groups @2.60 a round. Only $15.60 for 6 shots.

MaxWolfMarrin
January 2, 2009, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Smitty in CT : Tasco World Class model # DWC39X40NThanks for the reply Smitty in CT . Yeah I should have guessed it was tasco. I looked up some reviews on this scope and there were some bad ones. some stuff about being too dark, but the most disturbing ones were about the scope losing its zero two days later. have you hear of anything like that happening with these?

Smitty in CT
January 2, 2009, 07:40 PM
I have a 100 ATR in .270 that came with the factory scope.

I didn't have a problem with it loosing zero but it took about two boxes of ammo to "settle in", I agree with the comments about it being dark, I have since upgraded to a Nikon Monach 3-9 x 40 that someone traded in at my local shop, I paid $140 for it....

guns-N-tonic
June 25, 2009, 12:31 AM
For my new Mossberg 100 ATR 30-06, which i just purchased at wally world for $249.00, i Just purchased a Nikon Prostaff on ebay for $92.00, its a 3x9x40. i would suggest checking out this site. i think i saved at least $70.00 with tax for a well known optical company. anyone have any reveiws on this scope and a Harris Bi-Pod will be appreciated..I'M a newbie to site, thx for all the great post/
g-N-T

Col. Plink
June 25, 2009, 11:12 AM
Wow, where was this thread when I was asking around about the Mossy 100ATR in 30'06 a few months ago? All I got was a reference to a specious tale of bolts breaking and flying backwards at the shooter, and other snarky comments about what a cheap design it is, supposedly proven to be poor in its earlier presentation as the 'Raptor' made by someone else.

After that I was sheepish about admitting I had already bought one when I started asking around: my one impulse buy (so far!:o) as a firearm owner. Just seemed too good to pass up for $247 at WalMart with bases installed at the factory. Picked up a Centrepoint 3-9x30 (they come with SWEET rings btw) for $50 and got a real nice shooter for a steal.

Now I read that many consider it the best deal in it's class. I may have to start impulse-buying rifles a lot more often!

My one observation after sighting it in (with 'nothin fancy' ammo, Federal blue box 150gr, possibly 185) is that for windage it was spot on. Less than 1/4" at 50yds, so that's why I saw 'for windage' (I would imagine an elevation adjustment would be in order from over 100yds).

Also, the recoil is tremendous in 30'06, I'm guessing because the synthetic stock makes for a very light weight overall. I don't know what the other 100ATR 30'06 owners feel about theirs or if they have recoil pads, but the the thin factory one must be made just to keep the edges from causing injury. By way of explanation, I'm a big guy, with big shoulders and chest, and this thing tagged me harder than many of the blackbelts I workout with. It got a buddy of mine over the eye with the scope and he's no stranger to large weapons. Hold it tight to the pectral (NOT the shoulder) and it may not hurt much, but needless to say I'll be shopping for a Limbsaver (anyone know what size the ATR takes?) before I go out again. Seriously, damn! :cool:

Thrilled with the accuracy for the money, though, and once I cut down on the kick I'm thinking it will be a lifelong favorite. Having found one in 30'06 also addes justification for my desire for a Garand. Trying to keep the calibers in check... Might be making my first deer hunt this fall, I know this thing could take some game!

guns-N-tonic
June 25, 2009, 06:15 PM
just won a Harris bipod on ebay for $66.00, now after reading Col Plink, i may looking for a quality recoil pad..cant wait to get it to the range and zero it out, and hopefully hunt in the future..stay tuned.

guncollector
November 15, 2009, 05:56 PM
I bought one 270 win. several months ago. About $360 combo. I shot it today, impressive tight group with the cheap-looking scope. The trigger is better than the Remington 700. I could not shot well with my Remington 700 combo which come with a nice scope. I did killed a big buck over 200 yards last Christmas. But if the buck was smaller, I would have missed it.
I just love the nice Whitetail lightning Mossberg. A solid gun with Walmart price. I found out it was on sale for $300 now as the combo price in Dick's Sports. I went there bought another two, one is 270 win, and another one is 30.06. I will test out the same caliber 30.06 with the Mossberg and Remington, see which one shoots better!

Two ATR100 rifles price= one Remington 700 price! And I could carry with two different calibers 270 and 3006 into my hunting spot. I might install a better scope onto the 270 so I could shoot 130 grains bullets beyond 250 yards...two thumbs up!!!
As someone said, the bullets do not care about the surface finishing on the gun!!!:neener:

Col. Plink
November 15, 2009, 06:11 PM
Heck no! Sold mine to someone who was pleased as punch to get it for what I paid with tax. So I rented a rifle for awhile, shot it in, and made a friend selling it. Not bad for nothin! I may get one in .243 just to have that long-range funster in the closet for cheap.

Offfhand
November 15, 2009, 06:50 PM
Your rifle has a great scope and good mounts, you deserve to be proud.

Chuck E
November 22, 2009, 06:02 PM
I just this past week purchase a Mossberg Whitetail lightning 308 from Dick's. I have a long standing aversion to Mossberg (I am 69) as my first shotgun was a Mossberg bolt action .410. It fell apart, and for a 10 yr. old boy that was heart wrenching. I did not even think you could give me one. I decided that I may be in the need for an Obama "if push comes to shove" rifle. I am an old Marine M1 Garand nail driver with a 30-06. That was my first choice but really looking at what I was wanting this rifle for, and .308 is a NATO cartridge (30-06, U.S. only). I really wanted another CZ but $739.00 bare gun was too steep for my reasoning. The Savage on sale combo .308 was $359 with great history of accuracy but You need to replace/rework the trigger. I was mad at myself the whole trip home for being so cheap. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!! That new trigger of theirs is fantastic, and the rifle consistency and accuracy just cannot be beat out of the box. MOVE OVER SAVAGE!!! At least two of my old stand-by rifles just bit the dust. My ugly notched rifle butt (hate that) Mossberg and I will be on the road seeking out those 150 yard and beyond coyote shots. I have not fired it rapid fire and only used CHEAP Academy Monarch .50 cents at a pot with 1.5 inch and less groups at 100 yards, those coyotes are in trouble. That Remington SPS is good but not this good nor anywhere as cheap. Almost jumped on a $580 SPS without a scope a couple of days earlier. Saved by the bell. $299.98 combo is a garage sale price without one compromise other than finish and blueing.

sleepyone
November 22, 2009, 06:12 PM
good review. great deal on the setup. happy hunting!

goredsox
November 23, 2009, 09:26 PM
tasco provided some of the "mossberg" scopes, but I believe lately they've switched to barska (sadly)... neither is a leupold (or even bushnell)... but the barska is truly a P.O.S.

Col. Plink
November 23, 2009, 11:43 PM
kind of sad I sold my 30'06 now, but I may console myself with a 308.

The 'lightning' refers to the new easily adjustable trigger, yes? (it actually has a lightning bolt in the trigger lever?)

Chuck E
November 24, 2009, 10:57 AM
I have no idea who made the scope on my new Mossberg Whitetail Lightning, but it is no P.O.S. It is no redfield or Leopold judging by the finish etc. The optics are clear as a bell and the adjustments are accurate. I Ran a box of shells through the gun making adjustments as I saw fit and watched the bullet move as instructed by the scope. Put the gun in the car and drove the back roads (gravel and bumpy). Came home took the gun out and checked the sighting on the back yard targets. Right on the money. So what more can you ask? No one will be admiring my new rifle or the scope from looks, but none of them will be out shooting me or keeping tighter groups. Not bad for a $300 combo against their fancy looking $1000 plus stuff. I have those to, in my case. Pretty to look at and admire. I shoot my mossberg to make the long kills now. I AM SOLD on this darn thing. My lil CZ is still a darn good heavy barrel gun and probably hold a tighter group. Well, I hope so, I paid through the nose for it, and it ain't pretty either.

Col. Plink
November 24, 2009, 11:37 AM
I have to agree. On the cold shot my ATR 100 30'06 would touch the bullseye crosshairs from 100yds w/ factory Federal Powr Shock 180-grain softpoints and a $50 Centerpoint 3-9x32. But it did have Leupold rings, OOHLALA! ;)

BushyGuy
November 24, 2009, 11:48 AM
Really its the scope that made the rifle able to shoot nice groups like that, put a cheap ass scope on it then it will do worst. nothing beats a Leoupold scope! Atr100 is crap i wouldnt use it in hunt for a big bruiser buck , i want a rifle thats dead on SUB-MOA cuz if you see the biggest buck you ever seen in front of you, i aint gonna risk it with a 300.00 rifle.

best bet is buy a Tikka Lite in .308 then i would feel much more confident if i see a nice rack.

Col. Plink
November 24, 2009, 12:47 PM
So a $50 scope on a $250 rifle that can put $.75 30'06 ammo ON THE DOT at 100 yds shouldn't be trusted to kill a deer? Get real...

no4njnk
November 24, 2009, 09:02 PM
Went to go look at a .308 today and must have seen a bad one. The stock looked like it needed to be refit since most of the area around the bolt handle had lost its paint. The Marlin is by far a better looking gun.

kb2zya
November 24, 2009, 09:15 PM
I had a cheap mossberg atr-100 30-06 from walmart for a few years and it shots good.I got a $299 whitetail lightning 243 youth stock for my wife and the new LBN trigger it real nice upgrade!!!! light pull and wood stock w/3-9 x 40 scope:neener:i love dicks

elmcintosh
February 18, 2010, 10:00 PM
I just bought one in 30.06 cal and already the sling swivel attach point broke letting my rifle fall on the ground landing on the scope

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg ATR100 Rifle Review" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!