No loaded guns at gun shows is a good idea

PDA

Jesse H
March 30, 2003, 09:05 PM
Does that make me sound like an elitist or something?

Today I saw a group of bubbas with their newly acquired AK's. One of them was holding his in a manner that pretty much sweeped everybody within a 30 degree section in front of him, finger on the trigger, dry-firing to his heart's content.

I saw SO MANY other folks with poor trigger finger and muzzle discipline.

:scrutiny:

Oh, and from now on I'm just going to buy my knives off of Ebay. So much cheaper.

If you enjoyed reading about "No loaded guns at gun shows is a good idea" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
March 30, 2003, 09:20 PM
Sounds like you just don't want any extra holes in your head.

LiquidTension
March 30, 2003, 10:21 PM
No loaded guns except concealed carry guns I'll agree with. There are definitely some...interesting people that show up at gun shows and not all of them have safety on the brain. Or anywhere IN their brain, for that matter.

There is a sign that says "ALL guns must be checked" at the entrance to the gun shows here. I'm guessing that applies to all guns except carry guns, since House bill 3010 went into effect last year (outlined specifics for how "No CW" signs must look). Anyway, I don't give my ammo to the random cop at the door. I don't leave it in my car either, considering that any half-bright criminal would realize that cars parked at a gun show have a higher chance of having guns in them.

TechBrute
March 30, 2003, 10:51 PM
There are definitely some...interesting people that show up at gun shows and not all of them have safety on the brain. So true. Why does shooting/collecting/etc. attract so many "Redneck Special Forces" that don't know simple things like "keep your f'ing finger off the f'ing trigger so you don't blow some f'ing dude's head off"?

Ok, done ranting.:D

DMK
March 31, 2003, 12:50 PM
No loaded guns except concealed carry guns I'll agree with That would be fine if folks would leave them in the holster. However, although lots of folks would never present their carry gun anywhere else, they think it's OK to do so at a gunshow. Even obeying all the rules, there is almost no way to safely present a loaded weapon, then unload it for examination in a crowded convention hall.

Bobarino
March 31, 2003, 03:15 PM
at the gun shows at the local fairgrounds, they make you unload your weapon, empty your mags and then they put a zip tie in your gun in the action or cylinder. kind of ridiculous if you ask me. they just ask if you have and firearms with you so its kind of a honor system i guess. i always declare my gun and empty/zip tie it, annoying as it may be, i'd rather obey their rules than have the whole show get kicked out of the fairgrounds because of the participants' inability to follow the rules....

Bobby

AK103K
March 31, 2003, 03:27 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No loaded guns except concealed carry guns I'll agree with
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be fine if folks would leave them in the holster.
I agree with both of these. I never understood why someone feels the need to "whip it out" so to speak. I see it a lot at gun shops too. I get the feeling they just want someone to know they carry. Some peoples kids, eh? :)

Topgun
March 31, 2003, 06:21 PM
about the TWO...not ONE....LOADED M1 carbines at one dlrs table.

I told him and he sluffed it off.

Wish I'd a popped a round thru the ceiling and got some OFFICIAL attention.

:cuss:

El Tejon
March 31, 2003, 06:25 PM
A year ago the Indy 1500 show had not one, but two NDs in one show.:(

Their building, their rules. Rule #1 always applies.

Joe Gunns
March 31, 2003, 10:11 PM
Kinda tough to make the case for unlimited concealed carry when the anti's can point out that the gun club thinks concealed carry is too dangerous to allow at gun shows.

Joe

Stevie-Ray
March 31, 2003, 10:45 PM
at the gun shows at the local fairgrounds, they make you unload your weapon, empty your mags and then they put a zip tie in your gun in the action or cylinder. That's exactly the way it works in our shows also. ALL guns, even CCWs are checked at the entrance and given this treatment. This due to a AD, where a man was accidently shot in the arm. Had he put his child down 10 seconds later, it would have been a tragedy for him and a triumph for Sarah Brady. No problem for me, I'm used to it. As I enter, the attendant asks, I present the weapon and ask if he wants to clear it or if he wants me to. He usually tells me to. I clear it, he zips it up and on the way out he cuts the tie for me. Can't say I have a problem with it, though, I guess, I'd rather just be able to walk through without all this.

WhoKnowsWho
April 1, 2003, 01:33 AM
I think it is a good idea, I don't really like it 'cause I think I am responsible enough with my finger off the trigger, but many at the show aren't. And there are so many people packed together, a nice FMJ going through 3 of us wouldn't be fun. People just lose their concentration about the rules when they are carrying 1000 rounds on their back, and have hundreds of guns to choose from to buy and use up the rounds they bought! :)

Blackhawk
April 1, 2003, 01:39 AM
Wish I'd a popped a round thru the ceiling and got some OFFICIAL attention.Naw, you don't want that.... :what:

BamBam-31
April 1, 2003, 02:07 AM
Just got back from a show this weekend. Got covered MANY times. Two elderly gents were handling a Garand, and one of them nearly poked my eye out with the muzzle when he inspected the receiver. I gently deflected it while ducking slightly and gave an annoyed look. Both guys looked annoyed that I touched the rifle. Man.

It's getting to the point where I'm almost getting used to being covered. I'm getting pretty good at ignoring that silent scream inside my guts. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "No loaded guns at gun shows is a good idea" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!