Compensators/"Silencers" Are They Legal?

PDA

Offwhite
October 21, 2005, 09:46 AM
I have been noticing that there are a couple of companies that offer compensators/"silencers" for .22 & .308 but is that the only caliber? Also if I hunted with one would it alter my shot in any way? Lastely are they legal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Compensators/"Silencers" Are They Legal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
October 21, 2005, 10:06 AM
Compensators are legal everywhere as far as I know.

"Silencers"/Suppressors are legal in some places, and not legal in others. Suppressors are NFA items, and in the places where they are legal, they are subject to the $200 federal tax and a several month wait for the paperwork to clear.

GunGoBoom
October 21, 2005, 10:12 AM
Yeah, suppressors are legal to own and shoot with in many states, if you have a clean record and go through the paperwork process and pay the fees. Some states, no. BUT, it still not legal to hunt with suppressors anywhere that I know of, at least on deer and such. Nuisance species, maybe... (this belongs in legal/political).

Father Knows Best
October 21, 2005, 12:44 PM
BUT, it still not legal to hunt with suppressors anywhere that I know of, at least on deer and such. Nuisance species, maybe... (this belongs in legal/political).

I really don't understand the reasoning behind those restrictions. Why should it be illegal to hunt with a suppressed rifle? Is it considered a safety issue? How so? I'd think that suppressors would make great sense for hunting rifles. You'd disturb the game, other hunters and even non-hunters a whole let less.

another okie
October 21, 2005, 12:48 PM
1. Suppressors are subject to the 1934 NFA because of the perception that criminals would use them.

2. Suppressors are illegal to hunt with because of poachers.

Neither restriction really makes sense when examined, and in Europe in many countries it is considered good manners to use a suppressor. But hysteria over guns, once enacted, is rarely repealed.

Bubbles
October 21, 2005, 12:50 PM
BUT, it still not legal to hunt with suppressors anywhere that I know of, at least on deer and such. Nuisance species, maybe... (this belongs in legal/political).

It's perfectly legal to hunt with a suppressed rifle in both VA and WV, as long as the rifle itself is legal, e.g. not a machine gun. I use a suppressed Remington 700 in .308 for deer in VA (think "exurban whitetail").

Suppressors are legal to own as long as you follow all of the Federal NFA laws, and your own state laws. I'm not sure about NC.

Yes, a suppressor on a rifle will change the point of impact, sometimes drastically.

Lupinus
October 21, 2005, 01:19 PM
I think it should be legal to own and use them. Think about it. Middle of the night someone breaks into your house. I for one know damn sure i'd rather have a silenced weapon so I don't hurt my ears and can actually hear the police when they arive.

Hunting too. This way people can't whine about the noise of hearing gunshots. I know it doesn't make it totaly silent but it sure does better then nothing.

Sidenote- I wouldn't reccomend using a silencer everytime you use your weapon though. To my knowlage it causes more backpreasure and makes the gun more dirty with less firings. Least that is my knowlage of it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Compensators/"Silencers" Are They Legal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!