Anyone into antiquities?

PDA

bogie
October 21, 2005, 08:57 PM
Dang, I'd really like one of these, but not that much...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Amethyst-Target-Ball-embossed-BOGARDUS-GLASS-BALL_W0QQitemZ7189087366QQcategoryZ111292QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone into antiquities?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
October 21, 2005, 09:29 PM
Wow, that really is a bit of shooting history! I wasn't aware that there was a trade in these old targets... and looking at the prices, I'm amazed!

MountainPeak
October 21, 2005, 09:32 PM
We talking 2:00 a.m. or later? NEVER MIND.:)

bogie
October 21, 2005, 10:14 PM
Well, there aren't all that many of 'em that didn't reach their intended, fleeting, purpose...

Sunray
October 21, 2005, 10:35 PM
Skeet and trap glass ball targets show up at gun shows, up here, from time to time. Anybody who pays over $900US for them is nuts.

Dionysusigma
October 21, 2005, 10:38 PM
What is it? :confused:

Preacherman
October 21, 2005, 10:45 PM
Back in the 19th century and into the early part of the 20th century, exhibition shooting matches (often going on for days to determine the best marksman) were very popular. They often used glass balls as targets, as these could be seen breaking, and so there was no argument about a hit or a miss. They were thrown into the air and had to be shot before hitting the ground.

Dr. Bogardus was one of the top-ranked shooters of his day, and these targets (in the eBay listing) were named for him.

An excellent overview of the sport can be found in Brian Garfield's novel "Wild Times" - recommended, if you can locate a copy.

jsalcedo
October 22, 2005, 09:25 AM
If I recall correctly, they would fill them with down feathers so the effect would be more dramatic.

bogie
October 22, 2005, 10:35 AM
Prior to the use of glass balls, they used actual birds, which was a little rough on the birds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone into antiquities?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!