One of TFL's favorite topics....

PDA

K40
March 30, 2003, 11:47 PM
I used to frequent TFL in its day, and I always got a kick out of the Hi-Point discussions.

Anybody own a Hi-point? Are they reliable?Do they outperform the more expensive brands?:p

If you enjoyed reading about "One of TFL's favorite topics...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PCRCCW
March 30, 2003, 11:50 PM
Causing trouble just for the hell of it....ok...Ill bite.
Yep, I shot one the other day and the only guns its more accurate than, are all of yours :D :evil:
Shoot well:neener:

Schuey2002
March 31, 2003, 12:01 AM
"Anybody own a Hi-point?"
I don't.

"Are they reliable?"
I don't know.

"Do they outperform the more expensive brands?"
I have no idea.

:neener:

K40
March 31, 2003, 12:10 AM
ah come on...you guys are no fun!:D

I'm expecting photos (that only a mother could love) and civil academic discussion - no trouble here:D

Someone on TFL was putting the Hi-point through all sorts of extremes, it sounded like a lot of fun:)

arinvolvo
March 31, 2003, 02:20 AM
If you would like to send me one, I would be happy to "extreme" the thing to death....

See what happens when I toss it out of my VOLVO at 60 mph and then run over it a couple times....drop it off a parking structure, throw it in my pool, and then let my dog whizz on it...

Then I will take it to the range, dripping and smelling of Terrier piss and see how it performs. If you are willing to send me the gun, I will do all of this for you, and catch all of it on videocamera!! I will then post the video here on THR to show everyone what kind of beating the hi-point can take.

I will then run it through the dish washer (get the dog stink off) and return it to you....Then you can post it up for sale on www.gunsamerica.com

Hi-Point Semi auto
Barely used, slight holster wear
Never been pissed on by a german shephard (not a lie, it was a terrier)
$340 USD $10 shipping to your FFL.

:evil:

In all seriousness however, they look like fine guns.

New_comer
March 31, 2003, 03:10 AM
You just wait for TropicalZ.

He da man! :neener: :evil: :cool:

sm
March 31, 2003, 03:26 AM
OOPS--sorry, I thought this was the Hi-point vs. Grendle thread

I thought we finally had a knock- down dragged-out, definitive , no holds barred test result...

Hey I'm not knocking either one, I do know how much a pain the Grendle is to load up...hands down winner in that catagory.

Now the RG 38 revo wins in the spitting lead dept...sometimes the lead went downrange:D

Michael
March 31, 2003, 09:16 AM
re1973,

How funny your RG comment is. Brought back an old and buried memory from my police academy days. Toward the end of the training, we spent several days preparing for range qualification (remember, 20+ years ago, more academy cadets were "gun oriented" than those I encounter today). Imagine our surprise when the class idiot (did you know that you can distinguish a Texas Trooper's boots from any other type because the soles are stitched with white thread? Me neither! Can you say, "Mall Ninja?" This guy was the neanderthal forerunner of same.) showed up for our first firearm safety inspection wearing a 5 cent holster held together by staples (yes, staples) and a RG .38 Special revolver (yes, we commonly carried revolvers back then) which he swore to all within earshot was the most accurate, reliable, well-made pistol one could purchase, and it only cost 50 dollars. As I recall, I paid 200 dollars for my Ruger Security Six, which was a little cheaper than fellow classmates paid for their S&W model 19's and 28's, or Colt Pythons (these were around 600 dollars -- whew!). Can you guess who had to borrow a pistol to qualify before graduation as his tactical work-of-art shaved lead sufficently to shred adjacent classmates on the firing line? Thanks for stirring up an old, but funny, memory.

Sincerely,

Michael

Tropical Z
March 31, 2003, 11:00 AM
I wouldnt say my Hi-Point outperforms other brands,but it certainly holds its own.For the money they are a great bargain in a new commonly available caliber (9x19,.40S&W,.45acp)and they have nice sights to boot!
Hi-Points RRRRRRRRRUUUUULLLLLLEEEEE!!!:scrutiny:

K40
March 31, 2003, 02:27 PM
Not to start anything - but what is a Grendel? Literary beast aside.

arinvolvo
March 31, 2003, 03:58 PM
Grendels are the precursors to Keltec....Mr. Kelgren is the president of Keltec, and was also the president of grendel.

Grendel had an interesting top loading system, lock the slide back and load the gun through the chamber. I have seen one, I have never shot one...They didnt have a good reputation for reliability.

arinvolvo
March 31, 2003, 04:02 PM
Let me correct myself...apparently not all of the grendel's were top loading....case in point, grendel p12http://www.ultimateangles.com/images/grendel-p12.jpg

arinvolvo
March 31, 2003, 04:06 PM
This is the top loading model, the p10

http://members.aol.com/rllyvncnt/grendel.jpg

cool45auto
March 31, 2003, 11:33 PM
I think its impossible for any camera to take pictures of such an ugly gun!:D

Selfdfenz
April 1, 2003, 12:12 AM
I recently examined a Hi-Point at the Big Town Exhibit Hall Gun Show and it's construction and styling impressed me as it very likely could be a real tack driver.

And maybe smaller sized nails and some kinds of staples too but not the big kind used to hold barbed-wire. Better ergonomics than many hammers but pricey and no provision for pulling nails.

IMHO

S-

Cal4D4
April 1, 2003, 12:44 AM
Overheard at a local gun store...

customer: "What about this HiPoint? I like the price."

Man Behind Counter: "Well, let me put it this way; If you were shooting at me, this is the gun I would want you to have.":D

I didn't stick around to see how it turned out, but the customer went on to look at choices.

arinvolvo
April 1, 2003, 01:12 AM
cal4d4...that is very funny...A gun store guy said something very similar to me when I was checking out a used grendel they had for sale.

Tropical Z
April 1, 2003, 09:48 AM
Yah,and the last comment i heard a gun shop employee make was "Stars are a throw away gun pure and simple".Most of em are clueless! No offense intended.:rolleyes:

Pheonix
April 1, 2003, 10:08 AM
Last year (October) I bought a Hi-Point 9mm with the 3.5" barrel. In Jan of this year I bought a Glock 26. The Hi-Point has is .5" more space between the front sights, weights a lot more, cannot be left with one in the tube, is uglier, top heavy, looks like a brick-on-a-stick, and sad to say.....slightly more accurate than the Glock with about 500 rounds fired through each of them. The Hi-Point is a good gun for abuse (to be used when it could be dropped off a cliff, fall into a lake/creek) or when the possibility exists where it may be stolen or conficated.

sm
April 1, 2003, 10:19 AM
TZ
Your a good sport about all the ribbing you get. Honest, I've never handled much less shot a Hi Point. If a gun works everytime with its ammo and its accurate...well - that is the name of the game-right?

The top loading Grendle I cursed belonged to a girl I dated, her dad gave it to her to use. "What -dad doesn't love you?" :D Add having her nails done and the Grendle breaking two...dad took the Grendle back and daughter nabbed the High Standard 22lr pistol...at least it did go bang everytime, and very,very accurate. The Grendle was not reliable, and not accurate. I have a P-11, my only polymer 'ugly gun' but its is accurate and reliable, never a failure-ever. Obviously some BIG improvements made by Mr Kelgren--thank goodness.

I had a Star, accurate and reliable, got ribbed about it...until people shot it.

Now the fellow still has that RG .38, 2 cyls usually but not always get most of the lead downrange. Other 4 cyls...don't stand next to it being fired...I keep telling him that IS one ugly paperweight.:D

It's a 'last ditch' kept in his office gun..."Throw it at the BG, he'll shoot himself trying to shoot you, just tell the cops he grabbed a paperweight, tried to harm you and harmed himself, can't charge you with a shooting". :p

Tropical Z
April 1, 2003, 12:04 PM
A lot of people who are "name brand" snobs put down my RAP-440.THEY are the clueless ones!

Selfdfenz
April 1, 2003, 12:54 PM
Tropical,

I'm a wiseazz sometimes. But nothing makes me happier than buying a non-name brand firearm and having it out do one of the high dollar rigs. Even if I own the high dollar rig.

Some of the best guns I have ever owned were cheap or real used or both. I have been looking at the RAP too.
Take care,
S-

If you enjoyed reading about "One of TFL's favorite topics...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!