Anyone Ever Sell Guns You LIKED?

PDA

BerettaNut92
March 31, 2003, 12:35 AM
Anyone ever sell a gun you liked, out of choice? Am I the only one who sells a gun I like, only because I have no use for it or time to shoot it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone Ever Sell Guns You LIKED?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
March 31, 2003, 12:48 AM
The only time I get rid of one I like is either A) To get one I like more, or B) To fix the owie, empty, hurtie feeling in my tummy that sometimes comes from buying too many guns. ;)

Wildalaska
March 31, 2003, 12:49 AM
I have.

WilfIlikeemallAlaska

Croyance
March 31, 2003, 12:58 AM
I've never bought a gun I didn't like.
I've never sold a gun.

Schuey2002
March 31, 2003, 01:24 AM
To fix the owie, empty, hurtie feeling in my tummy that sometimes comes from buying too many guns.
I take it that you buy Pepto-BismolĀ® by the case then? :D

Redlg155
March 31, 2003, 01:29 AM
Anyone ever sell a gun you liked, out of choice?

Yep..when someone liked it better than I did. At a premium price of course. :D

Good Shooting
RED

beemerb
March 31, 2003, 01:42 AM
Depends on what you mean by choice.I have to sell forearms to pay for rent and food.A couple that I would give a peice of my body to have back again.
Hunger and roof over ones head creats a choice to sell sometimes.
Bob

bastiat
March 31, 2003, 02:01 AM
I have to in extreme cases of poverty. Luckily they were guns I can easily replace in the future when funds allow.

swingset
March 31, 2003, 04:26 AM
Had to liquidate my entire collection a few years ago to pay crippling medical bills. That hurt pretty good....I liked them ALL!

Usually, I'll sell something that doesn't fit the collection or I'm not happy with it's performance. I never keep one that's a turkey. I might even buy one for bartering later. Being into milsurps, this is just smart financing. :D

trvlr905
March 31, 2003, 05:18 AM
Sell guns? People do that? Why? Seriously, never sold any guns, but did have some stolen. :cuss:

cool45auto
March 31, 2003, 06:49 AM
I sold a Ruger P95DC that I liked and an SKS that I loved in order to get the Beretta I have now.

Sisco
March 31, 2003, 08:24 AM
Yes but only to finance one I liked better!

Smoke
March 31, 2003, 09:09 AM
Sold a Para Ordnance p14.45 LDA, bought a Para Ordnance P14.45 Limited single action.

Sold a piece-o-crap communist SKS to a guy that really thought it was cool and didn't know gun values. Put me half way into my AR.

Sold two EL CHeapo 1911 clones that shot well but had poor fit and finish. Bought a KImber CDP.

Those are the only guns I've ever sold.

(I wouldn't mind the LDA back, don't miss the others at all.,)

Quantrill
March 31, 2003, 09:11 AM
I sell them when I think I don't like them (anymore) and after they are gone, I always like them again and I am sorry I sold them. I try not to sell any anymore. Quantrill

WhoKnowsWho
March 31, 2003, 09:17 AM
I research the guns I buy a lot now before I buy anything.

So far, I have not bought anything I didn't like, and other than the high price I paid for my CD, I feel like I have gotten everything at a good price too. So no reason to sell...

BigG
March 31, 2003, 09:24 AM
Never met one I didn't like. :D

jrhines
March 31, 2003, 09:30 AM
Well, there was that Model 42 Skeet... (looooong sigh...)

CWL
March 31, 2003, 09:39 AM
Yup, painful when thinking back about them.

Strange result from this is that I no longer sell guns, even though I have some that I don't like. :confused:

anchored
March 31, 2003, 09:58 AM
Yup, I've liked every gun I've ever owned, but many times I buy them as a safer alternative to the stock market or a savings account - you can practically use them like cash around here. The ones I've sold were to finance college - books, tuition, rent, food, etc. Never been completely without though. Sold my first 1911 which I built from the ground up, my Rem 870, a colt single action .22, and a Dan Wesson .357.

George Hill
March 31, 2003, 10:37 AM
Couple times....

When the IRS says you owe more than what your making in a Year... Time to sell guns.

When your unemployed for 9 months and have to make rent and your kids have a hungry look on their faces... Time to sell guns.

When your a young man going to college and the hot red headed dancer you've been dating is something you can't let get away - ever - and you can't afford that 2,300 dollar wedding ring? Time to sell a few guns.

Your car just went belly up and drove the power steering pulley shaft into the radiator... Time to sell guns.

Life happens.

I look at some guns as a life long companion... Like my Remington 514. Other guns, like a centerfire duty grade handgun - you have to have at least one at all times... not allowed to sell off the last one. Everything else is just a more pleasurable way of investing. At one time my gun collection was my 401 K. And then life happened.

ElToro
March 31, 2003, 11:12 AM
I have sold the following.

only sold these when i was young and dumb and living paycheck to credit card cash advance to paycheck.. everything is better now and i regret those days

3 inch 629... too uncomfortable to shoot
4 inch 57 ... ammo too pricey
5 inch blue Delta Elite.. uhhhh seemed like a good idea at the time
P14 with .. grip too wide (the 8 hi caps netted a tidy profit)
Hi Power.. argentinean, sold it to finance a nice belgian made one
Mini 14... shot about 1000 rounds thru it at one range siting and a few cleanings and it jammed at once per magazine
Mossberg 500a. what a POS! sold it to finance a 870

either broke even or made small profit on all of the above.. still wish i had the Delta and the .41 maggie becuase they are worth far more now than when i sold them (here in PRK) but i wouldnt sell the Delta again.
Tim

Archie
March 31, 2003, 01:29 PM
1. Martini-Peabody in 45-70 rebuilt by Royal Arms.
2. Genuine Eye-talian BM 59.
3. Colt SAA in 32-20.
4. Matching Winchester 1892, with Lyman side mount aperture sight,
5. Commercial Colt Government Model; with top ends for 9x19; Super 38 and 45 ACP.
6. Commercial Colt LW Commander, set up like #5.
7. S&W 1955 Target Model in 45 ACP / 45 AR.

I had to peddle or trade all these when my then girl-friend "freshened" and I was suddenly a family man again. Just goes to show that all decisions have consequences.....

I've replaced # 5 and 6, sort of. The universal ejectors are not available anymore.

I really miss the others. Some, like the Martini, the BM59, the SAA and the Winchester are just not replaceable. Not for any reasonable amount of money.

Well. That woman is gone from my bank account. Things are looking up.

Slotback
March 31, 2003, 01:33 PM
I sold a Firestar 9mm once. I wish I hadn't now. It was a good pistol.

Poohgyrr
March 31, 2003, 03:04 PM
Yup.
I had a Star PD that was accurate and handy, but it started falling apart from normal practice with regular ball ammo. Repaired it one last time and sold it for a 4" Security Six that I sold for a 4" Python that I sold to get the car fixed. :mad: Sounds like a soap opera. Sold some others for something else I liked more; and some were sold in a moment of foggy headedness....

10-Ring
March 31, 2003, 03:17 PM
The only guns that I really liked that I sold were my HK 91 & 93....talk about an "owie, empty, hurtie" feeling!

jimbo
March 31, 2003, 04:08 PM
Never.

P95Carry
March 31, 2003, 04:28 PM
20/20 hindsight has usually guaranteed that the gun I sold and didn't ''like that much'' .... turned out after passage of time to be in fact one I regretted selling.

Chopped in a BSA MkII target rifle as a trade against a new ''must have'' wheel gun ...... had sorta given up .22 target shooting but ... ever since (partly cos i got poor allowance for it) ..... wished I still had a rifle so damned accurate.

One other in same category was a folding .410 single shot ... not a fancy gun but ..... just so very ''useful''!

Now have all but disciplined self to never sell unless avoidable ...... having said that .. did part with my Citori Hunter not so long ago .... used it too little and ''something else'' was way more desirable!:p

Standing Wolf
March 31, 2003, 05:26 PM
I did years ago.

A client stiffed me for $5,000. I had to go to all my vendors, hat in hand, and explain it would take awhile to pay their invoices, but I'd do it a little at a time. Without exception, they were completely understanding and helpful, gladder to receive slow money than none at all, and glad to send business my way, too.

I sold several guns I've sorely missed over the years, including an original Contender and a collection of barrels it would cost a fortune to replace today.

Monkeyleg
March 31, 2003, 05:45 PM
Yes, and for a variety of reasons:

1. Colt SAA circa 1956, absolutely NIB. Much as I would have liked to have kept it, $1800 is a lot for gun you can't shoot.

2. Spas 12 folder. It was "cool" looking, but a pain to shoot and not practical for self-defense.

3. This is the one that really hurts me today: an Auto Ordinace Thompson 1928 full-auto. The prohibitive cost of ammo convinced me to sell it for $2000, and I bought a couple of other rifles with the money. 'Course, neither of those rifles is worth $5000+ right now. :(

4. A Colt Sauer .270. A beautiful rifle, but with its sporter-weight barrel not accurate enough for me.

Study Butte
March 31, 2003, 09:27 PM
Sold a HK-91 a few years ago. I wish I hadn't.:(

blades67
March 31, 2003, 09:37 PM
Anyone Ever Sell Guns You LIKED?

Yes, but only because I really needed the money.

Jason Demond
April 1, 2003, 07:07 PM
To fix the owie, empty, hurtie feeling in my tummy that sometimes comes from buying too many guns
I get that same feeling, except it's in my wallet!:D

firestar
April 1, 2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah.:( Don't know why but it happens, I can't seem to keep anything for years and years. I am getting better. I always regret getting rid of the ones I liked and regret getting rid of the ones I sort of liked. I would not be able to to have tried out as many different types of guns unless I could have sold or traded a few.

I have had many times more guns than I now have and I don't regret most of them. I buy something and use it for a while to see if it grows on me or if it fits me and then I sell it if it doesn't. I have learned that 1911s are not my cup of tea, I don't regret getting rid of the ones I have had because some people will pay good money to buy them from me.

I only really regret 2 guns out of about 50 that I have sold in my life, my Kahr E-9 and my S&W 586. Those two guns should never have left my hands.

Acolyte
April 1, 2003, 08:51 PM
Well, after reading this thread and others like it, I will try my darndest never to sell anything! :)

Mr. Purple
April 1, 2003, 09:32 PM
I rarely sold guns especially those I liked. But as I acquired new ones some didn't get fired much. I read some disturbing threads about people's collections and what their families did with them after they were gone.

I decided which guns I used most often (carried or shot), then sold the rest.

It turned out some of my favorite guns did nothing but take up space and some of my least favorite guns like my old detective special that can become some what unpleasant in extended shooting sessions (the trigger is too thin) get carried all the time (and consequently stayed). Of course some of my favorites like my Glock gets used alot and also stayed.

The rest brought me good memories and a pretty decent price. I not a sorry as I though I might be now that they are gone. I now have a much smaller collection of guns (not that I ever had a large collection), but what I have I enjoy and its not a logistical nightmare to keep track of the different ammo.

Atticus
April 1, 2003, 10:01 PM
I've slowed down on my gun trading these days- but I always looked at trading guns like a Baseball manager might look at his team -you gotta trade quality to get quality (or a bunch of crap to get one good one). :D

Bob Locke
April 1, 2003, 10:05 PM
The only time I've sold a gun, it was one I liked. It was a Sig P239, and the only reason I sold it was that I really, really wanted a Glock 19, and the only way to fund the purchase was to sell the P239.

Loved that little gun, but was more fond of the way I shot the G19.

Peter Gun
April 1, 2003, 10:08 PM
Yup, I'm quite poor so I sometimes have to sell one to get one I like more. If I was richer I would have kept:
Desert Eagle .357 and
Colt King Cobra .357 6" SS
Remington speedmaster .22 rifle
Oh well.

Wylycoyte
April 2, 2003, 02:26 AM
Yup. Sold an SKS. Wound up buying another one to replace it years later, after the prices hiked up. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone Ever Sell Guns You LIKED?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!