CA-legal FALS

PDA

Kenshin
October 22, 2005, 11:05 PM
How much they cost?

Are there ones with a detachable mag with no pistol grip?

Are there ones using stripper clips?

Is it a good idea to get one?

If you enjoyed reading about "CA-legal FALS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Rojo
October 23, 2005, 01:37 AM
I believe the FAL was banned by name, so no luck with getting a non-pistol grip detachable version. You will have to get one that has a welded magazine and stripper the rounds in from the top.

Last I checked they wanted some God-aweful amount of money for them, like $1200 or $1300! For that much money, get a M1A and have a detachable magazine. The only thing the FAL has going over the M1A is the cheaper price and cheaper magazines. Weld a fixed 20 rounder to it (actually, you ought to check, it might only be a 10 rounder) and raise the price that high, and you might as well just get an M1A. Unless that is you really want a FAL. To each their own I suppose.

I vote no. Spend a few extra dollars and get an M1A. You can still use the 20 round magazines you bought for it back in 1999 before the ban after you find them in your garage after a trip to Reno over the weekend. :evil:

No_Brakes23
November 3, 2005, 01:40 AM
Not cheap, but not welded mags or non PG.

Move and you can change it back to normal.

http://www.dsarms.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=01&Subcat=SA58%20California%20Models&storeid=1

This 'un here looks real purty.

http://www.dsarms.com/images/sa58t48cal.gif

MatthewVanitas
November 3, 2005, 03:25 AM
Questions 1, 2, and 3 have been covered, I'll add by two-cents to 4.

For $350, plus about $40 for shipping/paperwork, I picked up an M1 Garand through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. If you have any curiousity about said program, it has been copiously discussed on THR, just use the "Search" button. Or check out www.odcmp.org

I checked two minutes ago, and "Rack Grade" M1s are still going for $350. A rebarrel (to .308 if you prefer) and trigger job might set you back $200 or so if you want to really spruce it up. I'm pretty happy with mine as-issued.

So, you can spend $1500 on a neutered FAL, $1400 on an M-14 copy with muzzle brake instead of flashhider, or $350 on a no-kidding military issue battle rifle. Let us know what you end up choosing, good luck in your quest.

-MV

50 Freak
November 3, 2005, 04:31 AM
Just build one for about $600 with US compliant parts and either remove pistol grip and have it take detachable mags or pin the mag and have a pistol grip.

Your choice, either way is CA compliant.

No_Brakes23
November 3, 2005, 02:38 PM
MatVan, the FALs aren't neutered like a FAB-10, they are modified. The process is reversible.

I will say this about Garands, you can get a fairly inexpensive one.

And you can get a good looking pistol grip stock for it if you want.

http://www.reesesurplus.com/images/6.jpg

MatthewVanitas
November 3, 2005, 04:02 PM
No_Brakes:
I did not know that the CA-FAL is reversible; something new every day... Is there some legal reason why the FALs are reversible, but the FAB-10 is irreversible (short of putting on a whole new lower)?

But good to see that we are in agreement re: M1 Garand from the Civilian Marksmanship program. If you have the cash for an M1A or CA-FAL, by all means buy, but don't let price alone hold you back from getting a classic battle rifle. Good luck to Mr Kenshin is his quest. -MV

If you enjoyed reading about "CA-legal FALS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!