Book Citizen Soldiers

PDA

beemerb
March 31, 2003, 01:51 AM
I just finished reading it tonight and I think it is one of the best books I have read in a while.
Who else has read it and what do you think of it.
Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Book Citizen Soldiers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PAshooter
March 31, 2003, 09:28 AM
Got it, read it, thought (like you) it was excellent.

After getting the Band of Brothers DVD set for Christmas I decided I wanted to read the book. When I went to Amazon to buy it Citizen Soldiers also caught my eye so I picked that up as well. The two books compliment each other nicely - BoB concentrates on a single unit and provides a personal look at a small group of men from training through the end of the war in Europe. CS provides a nice counter-balance by chronicling the whole European ground war effort on a broader scale. Good reading.

BTW - on a more personal note - I knew as I was watching BoB that it would turn out to be a more expensive purchase than my wife envisioned when she picked it up as a Christmas present. It has. Last week my new (old) 1944 Springfield Garand showed up at my door - thanks to my understanding wife and my newly-acquired C&R license. Now I just "need" an M1 Carbine and Remington Rand .45... :)

Hutch
March 31, 2003, 09:39 AM
Read it a few months ago. Absolutely stunning account of the hell of war. I have nothing but respect and awe for those that were there. I am not certain we have that fortitude any more.

chaim
March 31, 2003, 02:25 PM
never mind.

gino
March 31, 2003, 04:12 PM
I also thought it was a great book. It really dispells the myth that the US soldier was some sort of super-soldier, and it shows just how poor our leadership was. Very good book to show the errors inherent to any burocracy (excuse the spelling!).

If you enjoyed reading about "Book Citizen Soldiers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!