Does it make anyone else nervous that....

PDA

walking arsenal
October 23, 2005, 01:22 AM
It's getting harder to find 7.63x39?

I was in my local shop today, they had given me a rain check on some wolf 7.62. They owed my 8 boxes, today i collected.

When i got my ammo the clerk says to me, "I didn't dare put this out on the shelf".

So i ask "why"

He tells me that they can't get it, anywhere, and that i have the last 8 boxes they had left. He also said that it had better last me a while because they werent going to be getting anymore anytime soon.

That gave me the willies, these guys always have what i need, the other shops are out too and have told me the same thing, thats 5 shops in my area that can't get it!

They've also informed me that it's getting harder to find .223.

That made my skin crawl.

Whose getting it all?

The GOV is the obvious answer to the .223, winchester white box isnt available for that reason, or so i was told.

But 7.62x39?

Somthins up. But what.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does it make anyone else nervous that...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chris in va
October 23, 2005, 01:41 AM
I think everyone discovered just how cheap AK's and the SKS really are. Hell, we've got more of them here in the US than probably...China?

TexasRifleman
October 23, 2005, 01:51 AM
Wolf has been hard to find lately, but the usual suspects of online vendors seem to have tons of the Yugoslavian stuff.

I've seen it for like $175 for the 1,120 round case, they are claiming in stock.

ReadyontheRight
October 23, 2005, 01:56 AM
7.62x39 is not even listed at www.AimSurplus.com right now. Peculiar. Any insight?

Does anyone even reload for this stuff?

Might be time to get a cheap 7.62x54R rifle and a boatload of cheap ammo.

ReadyontheRight
October 23, 2005, 02:13 AM
7.62x39 Listed on www.ammoman.com

Double Naught Spy
October 23, 2005, 03:01 AM
Just curious, why does it make you nervous? What is it that you fear the shortage is supposed to indicate to make you nervous?

As near as I can tell, the only shortage of 7.62x39 is the Russian stuff and even then, several places on the net still have it.

Dragun
October 23, 2005, 03:19 AM
www.cabelas.com got wolf for less than .10 cents a round. you want soft point, hollow point, or full metal jacket?

P0832177
October 23, 2005, 03:22 AM
The new Cabelas in Rogers, MN sure has plastic ammo cans full of the Wolf 7.62 commie!

Third_Rail
October 23, 2005, 03:35 AM
www.cabelas.com is on backorder for all three types of Wolf 7.62x39mm.

Try being here in MA - 7.62x39mm is going for $5 or more a box. For Wolf. :uhoh:

I'm just going to start buying US made brass cased.

Azrael256
October 23, 2005, 03:37 AM
It's a problem with Wolf. I don't recall the specifics, but a search around here might yield some answers. They're in the middle of filling a contract, and it's taking a great deal of their production capacity to do so. I wouldn't worry too much.

dasmi
October 23, 2005, 04:05 AM
Might be time to get a cheap 7.62x54R rifle and a boatload of cheap ammo.

Way ahead of you man.

nyresq
October 23, 2005, 05:08 AM
.223 getting scarce? maybe military surplus, but I don't think one of the most popular calibers in the US is going anywhere. Any store I walk into that sells ammo including the big chain stores always has some kind of .223.

the stuff from lakcity may be a little hard to get at the moment, but the normal manufacturers aren't going to stop selling .223 for any reason.
that would be along the lines of .308 or .30-06 getting scarce.. not going to happen.

dfaugh
October 23, 2005, 10:52 AM
at least not yet...Went to local gun show a couple weeks ago, and the ammo dealers all had cases and cases of Wolf 7.62x39(and other brands as well)...Plenty of almost any other caliber...Prices a bit higher though, than last show 3 months ago...

armoredman
October 23, 2005, 11:03 AM
Took the Yugo SKS out two days ago with some reloaded Winchester cased 7.62x39mm, and the range guy was freaked - "Brass in an SKS?" After SPortsman's Warehouse stated they had no 7.62x39, I think I will buy some more brass and powder payday - got bullets.....

TMM
October 23, 2005, 11:20 AM
well, i know (think) Wolf is filling a contract with the iraqi army for 7.62kommie....

~TMM

Gewehr98
October 23, 2005, 11:39 AM
Does anyone even reload for this stuff?

Yup. I've got enough components on hand for at least another 5k rounds. I love my Dillon, no problem keeping all the G-98 AK and SKS rifles fed with quality ammo! :D

Double Naught Spy
October 23, 2005, 11:43 AM
Okay Walking Arsenal, the only 7.62x39 that seems to be missing is Wolf stuff and as noted, it is a problem with Wolf.

As for your store's claims that .223 is getting harder to get, then noting that WWB isn't available because of GOV. Is this because WWB is called "government type" ammo? We are and have for some time been involved in various military actions around the globe, but if that is the cause for the supposed shortage of .223 ammo, it would be the 62 gr. penetrator variety that is now standard, not the rest such as 55 gr.

OOOOOOH Spooky, the evil government has something. Sorry, but with Halloween coming up, I think your gunstore informants are goblins trying to scare you into panic buying ammo from them...before it is all gone!

So are you just completely against buying ammo on the internet? I am just guessing here, but it is has been my experience that I can get ammo cheaper of the next, including shipping, than getting it locally (and paying sales tax).

If your skin is really starting to crawl, take a hot bath and get good and clean. I think you have been infested with whatever it was that the goblins had themselves. Once you get clean, order a few cases off the internet and your new sterile ammo will arrive on your doorstep soon.

By the way, when somebody at a store tells you that they don't dare put a product on the shelf because it is selling well or getting hard to get, chances are they are being dishonest with you. Given that the store makes money by selling ammo, does it not strike you as blatantly illogical that they would not put the ammo out for sale? If the guy was afraid of putting it out and selling all of it, then why did he sell all of it to you?

If you need 7.62x39, there are several online sources that show PMC is in stock.

walking arsenal
October 23, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evil government aside.

The onyl reason that i dont like to buy ammo on the net is because it's pretty likely that it would get delivered when i'm not home. I have some shady neighbors.

Anyhow, jerry didn't put the ammmo out because he owed me 8 boxes and wanted to be sure to get them to me. I call that honesty and loyalty to a long time customer.

Jeez, and you call me paranoid.

Hawkmoon
October 23, 2005, 02:23 PM
Went to a gun show yesterday. There were two or three or four ammo vendors, and NO shortage of both 7.62x39 or .223/5.56 -- the latter in either 55-grain or 62-grain. Lots of Russian for the AK ammo, and for the 5.56 they had both commercial Federal in the red box with the eagle, and mil-surp.

There should never be a problem getting .223 in 55-grain, since the active duty military uses only 62-grain and heavier. I guess there may be a few NG and Reserve units with very old M16s that still need the 55-grain, but I don't think they're exactly buying out the entire world's production of the stuff for those few remaining antique rifles.

walking arsenal
October 23, 2005, 02:40 PM
Gunshows are a little different story.

Some of those guys just hord the stuff to sell at shows, it's not a really good market indicator in my opinion. Perhaps im wrong.

Kurush
October 23, 2005, 03:04 PM
What are the details on this, is the shortage because they retooled the factory or are AIF actually going to be shooting junky Wolf FMJ?

gm
October 23, 2005, 03:19 PM
I dunno, the local guy here has plenty.cheaper than dirt just sent me their new catalog-have you tried them?

walking arsenal
October 23, 2005, 04:50 PM
Naw, i haven't tried CTD.

Like i said, i typically dont order online, if i can get it locally i do that.

Kamicosmos
October 23, 2005, 07:22 PM
I've noticed prices on both 7.62x39 and .223 have gone up. I took a carbine course in september. Bought 1200 rounds of 223. This was days before Katrina hit. After the hurricane....the store was out of 223, 7.62, 45, and almost out of 12ga! I also noticed during that time, that alot of the prices online went up. I figure it was like the gas prices though...people are suddenly wanting ammo, why not raise prices and take advantage of the situation? We are capitalists, afterall...

Anyways. I have noticed the increase in price, especially in wolf. I did some research about it over the summer, and I heard and read rumors of:
Wolf suppling the Iraqi Army with ammo and/or getting other 'contracts', hurting their American supply capability.
The Euro overtaking the Dollar, therefore making Eastern European Guns and Ammo more expensive.

I don't know if either of those are true. But, I did order another case online of 7.62x39, just in case! :D

The other rumors I heard ... well, we'll just attribute them to Tin Foil Hats being worn too tightly!

Cacique500
October 23, 2005, 07:32 PM
Yet another good reason to buy it cheap and stack it deep. I've got about 7k on hand of 7.62x39 and figure that'll hold me for 6 to 9 months...hopefully we'll be out of the crunch by then.

silverlance
October 23, 2005, 07:43 PM
+1 on stack em up.

i've got a few hundred dollars left in my checking after my vacation bills, and i'm going to spend it all on 7.62 (+ i still have 2k of .223 stockpiled even though i have no .223 rifle anymore) and 9mm.

btw have you guys noticed that foreign 00 buck is getting in short supply too? s&b is out everywhere i look! (even though in an m1s90 anything other than low recoil will kill your shoulder)

Hawkmoon
October 23, 2005, 07:45 PM
The Euro overtaking the Dollar, therefore making Eastern European Guns and Ammo more expensive.
Does not compute. The unit of currency in Russia is still the ruble, not the euro. I don't think the rate of exchange between the dollar and the euro affects prices of Russian goods, but if the dollar weakens against the ruble, that would make a difference irrespective of whatever the euro is doing.

solareclipse
October 23, 2005, 08:40 PM
everybody right now is getting an ak/sks clone of some sorts.. it's all the craze. my ffl was working on 5 last week for various customers.

the makarov ammo was also short at times when people began to buy those but now the supply has been normalized.

the 223 is a little scarce because of the war. we are actually buying it from israel since the domestic factories cannot produce ehough. crazy. so civilian supply is whatever is left over.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does it make anyone else nervous that...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!