Range with KP97

PDA

Rob96
October 23, 2005, 11:27 AM
Made it to the range today, to try out my new to me, KP97DC. I had on hand, 100 rounds of Winchester and S&B 230gr FMJ and 20 rounds of Federal Hydrashoks. The gun was absolutely flawless. I actually think it shot better than the KP-9 I used to own. Now it didn't give me the same accuracy my Colt does, but it was no slouch either. I think part of it was that I have been shooting Glocks and Colt for solong now, I am not used to the da/sa trigger like I once was. This turned out to be a great buy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range with KP97" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Moonclip
October 24, 2005, 10:59 PM
Glad you liked it. It seems at least to me P97's and P90's don't have the accuracy of a nice 1911 or a Sig Sauer but it is good enough for most purposes. Massad Ayoob is always saying how great and accurate these guns are but I have the feeling Ruger is paying him to do so!

Anyways in my area a gunshop was phasing them out in favor of the new P345 and the SS version P97 was selling for $300 and my dad got a blued one for $280. What do they sell for in your area?

Rob96
October 25, 2005, 04:30 AM
Glad you liked it. It seems at least to me P97's and P90's don't have the accuracy of a nice 1911 or a Sig Sauer but it is good enough for most purposes. Massad Ayoob is always saying how great and accurate these guns are but I have the feeling Ruger is paying him to do so!

Anyways in my area a gunshop was phasing them out in favor of the new P345 and the SS version P97 was selling for $300 and my dad got a blued one for $280. What do they sell for in your area?

Actually, the Ruger 45s are capable of outstanding accuracy. I had a P90 that I shot a 1/2" group, offhand, at 25yds with. It was scary accurate. These are highly underrated guns. Sadly, the lawyer friendly P345 is/did replace the P97. I paid $249 fr my KP97.

Moonclip
October 25, 2005, 04:45 AM
Are you on the Ruger payroll too:) No I understand that Ruger can make an accurate 45acp and have fired a P90 that was more acurate than normal but I'd have to say your average Sig Sauer P220 will be more accurate but will also cost 2x as much.

Rob96
October 25, 2005, 05:34 AM
Wish I was on a gunmakers payroll. That would mean more guns for me. The above mentioned groupings I accomplished with the P90, was with using the 230gr+p Triton Hi-Vel JHP. I could not believe the accuracy of this ammo out of the P90. I wouldn't mind taking a P90 and P220 and shoot them side by side with the same ammo. Ruger 45acps are no slouch.

jed
October 25, 2005, 01:04 PM
My Ruger P 97 shoots on par with the Sig 220 and yet cost half of the price.

With Ruger, the luck of the draw comes into play. Two specimens may yield entirely different results even if purchased at the same time.

I am not on Ruger's pay roll and in general don't care for their products. However, if they have something outstanding for the money, I will freely say so.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range with KP97" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!