How would one legally own a sawed-off?

PDA

shotgunner
October 23, 2005, 08:27 PM
What type of paperwork is necessary to own a sawed-off shotgun?
Is a class 3 permit necessary??

If you enjoyed reading about "How would one legally own a sawed-off?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JeepDriver
October 23, 2005, 08:29 PM
ATF Form 1, $200 and wait 3-6 months.

Then engrave your receiver with your name, city and state.

After all that is done you should be good to cut the barrel down

ATF Forms can be down loaded here:

http://www.titleii.com/archives/000008.html

shotgunner
October 23, 2005, 08:34 PM
Yeah cause I think a sawed off would make a great defense shotgun =]

You think both barrels could be discharged at once without damaging it?

Ohen Cepel
October 23, 2005, 08:38 PM
I think that if it was made originally as a sawed off it should only be a $5 tax stamp.

I have never understood it, but some are $200 and some are $5.

You can touch off both barrels at the same time. Won't hurt the gun, might not be fun for you though.

JeepDriver
October 23, 2005, 08:44 PM
I think that if it was made originally as a sawed off it should only be a $5 tax stamp.

I have never understood it, but some are $200 and some are $5.

You can touch off both barrels at the same time. Won't hurt the gun, might not be fun for you though.

If the gun left the factory with a rifle stock attached it can not be an AOW ($5 transfer) It must be registered as a SBS ($200 transfer/Tax)

It's like AR's. If the receiver is a registered pistol, you can buy the 7.5" barrels w/o breaking federal law, but if the receiver left the factory as a rifle, 16" is the minium lenght for barrels

angrywalkindude
October 23, 2005, 08:46 PM
I sawed off a Savage 20 Gauge once.

I just stopped at 18 1/4".:evil:

MudPuppy
October 23, 2005, 08:58 PM
I thought an AOW still requires the $200 initial tax, then transfers are $5.

Could you imagine paying a "tax" to register a Bible or a word processor.

...our government is broken...

angrywalkindude
October 23, 2005, 09:18 PM
PM sent.

nomadboi
October 23, 2005, 10:07 PM
Good to know. I do a lot of film work, and the sawed-off is a popular request... firing blanks the kick isn't bad.

wdlsguy
October 23, 2005, 11:10 PM
Looks like the State of Washington banned new machine guns, short-barreled rifles and short-barreled shotguns after July 1, 1994:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?section=9.41.190&fuseaction=section

Should be okay to own an AOW though.

Standing Wolf
October 23, 2005, 11:35 PM

Shhhhh! Don't give the leftist extremists ideas, eh?

bogie
October 24, 2005, 08:51 AM
It's a $200 manufacturing tax. DO NOT manufacture the thing until you have your stamp.

$200 for shotgun. $200 for tax. Might be cheaper to just buy one as an AOW.

Zach S
October 24, 2005, 09:10 AM
Doesn't the manufacturer have to pay the $200 tax as well?

Might not be that much cheaper. I know the super shorty cost lot of money for a sawed off Maverick 88 or Mossberg 500.

entropy
October 24, 2005, 10:37 AM
www.atf.gov

deadin
October 24, 2005, 11:10 AM
I have never quite understood why you can get a manufacurer license and make a short-barreled shotgun, but (It's been my understanding) if you come up with Grand-dad's Ithaca Auto Burglar or Marble Game-Getter that wasn't registered during the amnesty period, (i.e. no papers) there's no way you can make it legal. Am I wrong in this assumption? (I'm in WA State so maybe this is some state restriction)

Dean

rhedley
October 24, 2005, 11:35 AM
*Sawed Off* isn't the problem. Barrel length and averall length is.

Flatfender
October 24, 2005, 11:50 AM
It's a "Short Barreled Shotgun" or "SBS", not a "sawed off" shotgun. You'll scare the sheeple. :p

Kinda like calling semi-auto rifles, with normal capacity magazines, "Assault Weapons" or "Bullet Hoses".

rhedley
October 24, 2005, 12:04 PM
By the term*SAWED OFF* Everyone assumed it was an AOW..

nomadboi
October 24, 2005, 12:43 PM
Okay, this is probably a stupid question... but what's AOW?

El Tejon
October 24, 2005, 12:51 PM
Any Other Weapon.

Part of Title II that does not include Short Barrelled Shotguns and Rifles, Fully Automatic Weapons and Destructive Devices. E.g. a shotgun with a barrel of less than 18 inches but less than 26 inches in length overall (pen guns, cane guns, inter alia).

rhedley
October 24, 2005, 12:52 PM
A BATF term. definition of an "any other weapon,"

bamawrx
October 24, 2005, 12:53 PM
I "found' a marble arms game getter in my uncles stuff after he died. It turns out it was registered and so another family member was able to get it. Funny how he never mentioned the gun, anyhow I often wonder what I would have done with the thing if it turned out to be unregistered.

Wouldn't it be legal to take a legal length barrel MAGG and do a form 1 w/tax and then cut that barrel after the approval?

mtnbkr
October 24, 2005, 12:55 PM
Shhhhh! Don't give the leftist extremists ideas, eh?
No, lets. Maybe when people have to deal with those restrictions on 1st Amendment issues they'll get the point.

Chris

nomadboi
October 24, 2005, 12:59 PM
They kinda already do... remember the 'free speech zones' in NYC during the Republican Convention last presidential convention?

Unfortunately not enough people care when it isn't happening to them personally, and few seem to see the connections between the rights to free speech, freedom of religion, rkba, etc.

wdlsguy
October 24, 2005, 04:45 PM
"The term "any other weapon" means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition."

[26 USC Sec. 5845(e)]

Here is an interesting example of an AOW:

http://www.serbu.com/shorty.htm

saltydog
October 24, 2005, 07:55 PM

That's a pretty good statement. It should make one think. If the Govt can do stupid things to the Second Amendment then what about the rest of um? Preachers need to "Qualify for the pullpit" and must attend a 2 week course? All preachers need to have a background check to make sure they have no "secular scars" that would disqualify them to preach. $200 tax stamp on each Bible? $5.00 tax stamp on "pocket Bibles" only if its the New Testiment. $5.00 "sin tax" per person per sin? Sounds stupid but so does having to pay the Govt $200.00 to shorten "MY SHOTGUN BARREL" and not have to go to jail for doing it!:confused: :barf:

CleverNickname
October 24, 2005, 11:15 PM
Doesn't the manufacturer have to pay the $200 tax as well?

If the maker of a title II firearm has a Class 2 (manufacturer's) SOT, they don't pay the making tax. If the maker doesn't have a C2 SOT, then they pay a $200 making tax on each firearm they make.

Zach S
October 25, 2005, 10:53 AM
Ah, always wondered about that, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "How would one legally own a sawed-off?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!