Anyone have a gun they just don't clean?

PDA

DontBurnMyFlag
October 23, 2005, 10:37 PM
Im just curious. Does anybody have a gun in their locker that just doesnt get cleaned, or hasnt been cleaned in forever. I know a few friends who clean SKS and AK's after every thousand rounds. I know people who just dont clean their pump shotguns or lever rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have a gun they just don't clean?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
October 23, 2005, 10:43 PM
I put 80 rounds throught the Yugo SKS on Friday..haven't cleaned it yet...

garrett1955
October 23, 2005, 10:43 PM
nope, clean them after each shoot. even the AK. they are all guns and deserve the same care...

f4t9r
October 23, 2005, 10:55 PM
I always clean them right after or within a day
did forget once and went about 2 weeks but that was a mistake on my part

Hawken50
October 23, 2005, 10:56 PM
i have a marlin 22 that's that's probably 20 yrs old, had a billion rounds through it and now it's hurtin bad. chamber won't lock open, jams on EVERY shot. the last time i tried fixing it i got disgusted and haven't looked at it since, let alone cleaned it.

RyanM
October 23, 2005, 10:59 PM
Glock.

Rezin
October 23, 2005, 11:23 PM
I clean after every shoot as well. USMC Inspection ready, or they ain't clean... Old habits die hard, lol....

neoncowboy
October 23, 2005, 11:25 PM
I'm not nearly as diligent about cleaning the Glock as I am my 1911s.

Lupinus
October 23, 2005, 11:26 PM
I clean mine after every shoot of 50 rounds or more. If I jsut put a few through it I wont bother unless it will be along time before it is shot agian. But any decent amount of rounds through it on a shoot and it gets at least a light cleaning.

Standing Wolf
October 23, 2005, 11:32 PM
If it's worth buying, it's worth taking care of.

Strings
October 24, 2005, 12:54 AM
There are five in the house that I refuse to clean, under almost any circumstance. They're all my wife's though, and I RARELY ever use them, so why should *I* clean 'em? ;)

robert garner
October 24, 2005, 01:04 AM
I've got a 22 that functions perfectly, got it cheap couse it wouldn't;
took it home and cleaned it,was all the 'smithing it needed!
Do what you will I'm still looking for a bargain,

spooney
October 24, 2005, 01:24 AM
I don't usually clean my .22. I only do it about every five to six times I shoot it.

Bwana John
October 24, 2005, 01:26 AM
I got a FAL Im kind of "torture testing".
>2k rounds in 6 months and still running fine.
I have lubed it, and wiped it down, but not put a cleaning rod, brush, or solvent down the tube or anywhere else.

madecov
October 24, 2005, 01:45 AM
There's a guy on the Walther forum with over 25k rounds through a P99 without cleaning.

Taurus 66
October 24, 2005, 01:53 AM
Im just curious. Does anybody have a gun in their locker that just doesnt get cleaned,

What locker are you referring to? I'm not a cop nor am I living in Canada.

chaim
October 24, 2005, 02:13 AM
There are few of my guns that get cleaned every time they are shot. I will run a brush through the bore and wipe down the exterior before putting them away at the range, I will make sure they are oiled when I take them out to shoot them again, but I only clean them every two or three range trips.

My revolvers probably get a good cleaning less than my autos. I do make sure there is no build up of "gunk" if I shoot some .38s out of a .357mag, I do wipe off the exterior, but there aren't as many problems with reliability due to non-cleaning that will happen to a revolver v. an auto.

My defensive autos will usually be cleaned after I shoot them and before I load them up to serve for defensive purposes.

Guns I almost never clean:
1) My SKS was in my possession for around 2-3 years (and thousands of rounds) before I ever decided I aught to clean it.

2) My Marlin 60 may get cleaned once every 1-2000 rounds (it actually performs better when dirty)

3) My Ruger MkII has never been taken down for cleaning yet, probably won't until it starts acting up.

4) I've never taken my lever guns apart. They get a brush down the barrel occasionally, and any interior space a brush can reach while the gun is put together will get a quick brushing, but they don't get taken apart.

5) My shotgun is similar to #4 (though it doesn't get shot very often).

el44vaquero
October 24, 2005, 02:56 AM
Take them out, use them, clean them, and then put them back. Might pull them out every so often to put a light layer of oil on them to make sure they aren't rusting on me.

jashobeam
October 24, 2005, 03:28 AM
I would take my Glock 17 to the range, shoot a few hundred rounds, put it away for a few months, take it to the range...over and over. Never a problem. Now I'm trying to be more responsible, so I've been cleaning it immediately after shooting it. I really like that gun; I may as well treat it properly.

I have a Ruger 10/22 that I've had for about 18 years. I can't remember when I cleaned it last. I took it to the range about a year ago and found that the bullets were hitting the target sideways, not to mention inaccurately, at 50 yards. The action seemed to work fine, but the barrel is probably all caked with whatever it is that cakes rifle barrels.

The cylinder on the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum tends to lose its smooth, care-free personality and to become gritty and stubborn to spin, like a car in which the e-brake is partially engaged.

dasmi
October 24, 2005, 03:34 AM
My Mossberg Plinkster 7022. I clean the bore, and get the thick grime out of the action so it'll extract properly, but that's about it. The gun doesn't function reliably when completely clean.

ruger270man
October 24, 2005, 03:56 AM
they all get cleaned sooner or later, usually later for the SAR-1 :D

stevelyn
October 24, 2005, 08:28 AM
I have a Win. M-290 that I kinda use as a beater gun that don't get cleaned often since it's always in use.
Cleaning usually consists of pulling the trigger group and flushing the large chunks off under hot water, drying and relubing. The bolt will get wiped and lubed if it starts sticking. If caught out in the rain it'll get wiped down.
I only give it the full Monty when chambering rounds become difficult.

1 old 0311
October 24, 2005, 08:49 AM
A shooting friend has a Ruger 10/22 that be bought used over 15 years ago. After 10s of thousands of rounds it still has not been cleaned. He is going to shoot it till it stops then see if Ruger will buy it as a torture test sample.:banghead:

Kevin

Zach S
October 24, 2005, 09:02 AM
Most of mine are filthy.

I usually change the recoil springs in my government models around 2000 rounds, and when that happens I detail strip them and clean them. Between recoil springs, I may pull the slide off once or twice and do a quick wipedown of the internals (rails, feedramp, etc). They do get bore-snaked and oiled on a regular basis though.

My compacts stay pretty clean compared to my government models, but mainly because the springs dont last as long. They also get detail stripped and cleaned with a new spring. I normally dont bother pulling the slide off and wiping the rails down between springs, they get a new spring every 500 rounds or so.

My former AR15 was kept pretty clean, mainly because of the ciener .22 conversion. Those things leave an awful mess.

But when I do actually clean a gun, there's normally brake cleaner involved. Lots of brake cleaner.

As for my thompsons, my shotgun, and my Glock, they get boresnaked and oiled. My shotgun and my thompsons do get regular wipe-downs though.

I used to be real picky about keeping them clean, but it got old after bringing three or four (or more) dirty guns home from the range every weekend.

HSMITH
October 24, 2005, 09:20 AM
I clean some guns once a year whether they need it or not, both are 22's.

AirForceShooter
October 24, 2005, 10:26 AM
my abuse is sort of limited to my .22's.
Those I clean when I'm bored silly.
All my other guns get cleaned right after they're shot.

AFS

W Turner
October 24, 2005, 10:48 AM
None of my .22's get cleaned regularly. Only when accuracy starts falling off or I have a problem with functioning.

If the problems is just function, then usually the action gets sprayed with break free or Ed's Red, scrubbed with whatever I can reach with a brush, stripped with brake cleaner and lightly lubed with CLP. Then I work the action 15-20 times rapidly to shuffle the remaining dirt back to it's proper place....:neener: .

If accuracy is suffering then I will usually go the full monty on'em. BTW- This hasn't ocurred yet, keep wating for it though.

All centerfire calibers get cleaned within a week of shooting. Carry guns as soon as I get home.

W

dfaugh
October 24, 2005, 11:05 AM
One .22 shoots better when "dirty" so I only clean that after a few hundred rounds..SKS gets cleans when I get around to it (might be weeks or months)...Ditto my Hi-Point carbine, which has now fired over 5000 rounds with only minor cleaning (no disassembly), conducting torture test!...My more accurate bolt guns get cleaned after each use (well withing a couple days)

DontBurnMyFlag
October 24, 2005, 11:42 AM
well since I did start the thread, I might as well add to it :evil:

My Mossberg 500 hasnt been cleaned since september of 04, it still works find and the barrel suprisingly is in good shape.

Sleeping Dog
October 24, 2005, 12:31 PM
I quit cleaning my 22's after reading posts saying it' s not necessary and may be bad. They seem to be fine, still shoot good and the barrel looks pretty clean.

Everything else gets cleaned, even the sks.

Derby FALs
October 24, 2005, 12:32 PM
I got a FAL Im kind of "torture testing".
>2k rounds in 6 months and still running fine.
I have lubed it, and wiped it down, but not put a cleaning rod, brush, or solvent down the tube or anywhere else.

Old Dirty (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68486&pagenumber=3) is now over 15,000 rnds without cleaning

KC&97TA
October 24, 2005, 12:57 PM
I clean my 92 FS about every 1000 rounds or so, Clean the Kimber about every 150-200, I owned a Ruger P944, had it for 2 months and cleaned it 3x; when I bought it, once when it wouldn't shoot strait and cleaned it the day before I sold it. The AR-15's get dusted and whiped down, run a bore snake through them, seen too many USMC rifles ' OVER CLEANED '.

PressCheck
October 24, 2005, 04:15 PM
Glock.

+1

cls12vg30
October 24, 2005, 06:47 PM
I habitually clean all guns shot after every shooting session, but I'm less strict with my single-stack Bulgarian Makarov.....I swear that thing LIKES to be dirty.......

The double-stack Russian Mak.....not so much.

hotpig
October 24, 2005, 08:15 PM
I have never cleaned my second generation G17. Every now and again I add some oil to keep it functioning at 100% since it is my duty weapon. I also have a old Merlin Model 60 that I am going to have to clean. It is getting so dirty that it does not want to function.

COK
October 24, 2005, 08:19 PM
I shoot it , I clean it, maybe not a complete take down but certainly clean the barrel, reciever and wipe the outside down .

Farnham
October 24, 2005, 08:24 PM
I clean the Glocks, the 1911's, the AR, the M1A, the K31, and the Savage .308 every trip to the range.

The 10/22, the 22/45, the Mini-14, and the SKSs get cleaned when they stop working up to my expectations. Hasn't happened yet. :D

S/F

Farnham

ZenMasterJG
October 24, 2005, 08:26 PM
Clean mine after every use. Cleaning them is half the fun of shooting. I'd totally buy a Hoppes #9 cologne, if such a thing existed.
Plus it annoys the hell out of my parents when i clean my guns on greasy rags on their dining room table ;)
Gotta love my parents though, letting me persue my hobbies even if they are horrified to have an "evil conservative" in their liberal household (doesnt seem to make any difference that they raised me!) :rolleyes:

:p

R.H. Lee
October 24, 2005, 08:27 PM
More firearms are worn out/damaged by obsessive cleaning than by any other cause. If you have the need to 'clean' I'm sure you can find something that needs cleaning a lot more than your firearms.

1 old 0311
October 24, 2005, 08:55 PM
Hi Derby,

Old dirty is AMAZING. Please keep us posted to let us know when it gives up the ghost.

Kevin

artherd
October 25, 2005, 03:51 AM
I've probally got you all beat.

I have an Armalite AR-30 in .338 Lapua Mag. It's a very high powered precision rifle.

I have approximately 300 rounds through it, I have 'cleaned' only when I first bought it. Every 50-100 rounds it gets a (dry!) boresnake down the bore to remove dust from the chamber.

Nothing else.

It's a .5MOA performer out past 1000yds if I do my part (.3MOA at 100)

I also have a Glock 34 that I haven't cleaned in 10,000rounds and isn't getting any dirtier.

Cleaning guns is as dead as corrosive ammo.

mtnbkr
October 25, 2005, 08:31 AM
I don't clean my 10/22. Accuracy went to hell after cleaning it the last time. It took about 100 rounds for the groups to tighten back up.

I also don't clean my AR, but that's more to test the rumors that it needs to be cleaned often to maintain reliability. 400 rounds and counting...

Everything else gets cleaned regularly.

Chris

pcf
October 25, 2005, 09:46 AM
Somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 rounds of Federal Champion/Lightning without cleaning and hasn't seen any lubrication since about round 1500. There's a FTF or FTE every 4-500 rounds, but that's about normal. There's enough graphite in the powder that it keeps everything lubed up.

bobhaverford
October 25, 2005, 10:00 AM
Gotta love my parents though, letting me persue my hobbies even if they are horrified to have an "evil conservative" in their liberal household (doesnt seem to make any difference that they raised me!) :rolleyes::p

Congratulations on avoiding one of the three major pitfalls of growing up. Not necessarily in order: booze, drugs, liberalism. Are you sure your parents aren't just "fashionably" liberal? The dyed-in-the-wool types typically would rather sacrifice a child rather than let them become a coservative. Furthermore, there is nothing more intolerant than a full blown liberal.

NoahFN
October 25, 2005, 11:41 AM
I typically don't clean shotguns or .22 rimfires. Just wipe them down to prevent rust.

Bridger
October 25, 2005, 12:23 PM
Well, my AR-15 and other rifles get cleaned after every use.

My .22 gets a dry boresnake (brush removed) after shooting and a wipedown to prevent rust. The shotguns get similar treatment.

Hemicuda
October 25, 2005, 03:57 PM
nylon 66's, and 77's that don't ever get cleaned... (if you've ever taken one apart, you'll understand.) and they function flawlessly every time i pull the trigger...

I also have a bolt action target .22 that i cleaned once... it took 3 bricks of ammo before it got even CLOSE to accurate again... and like 3 more before it got back to dime size groups at 50 yards... aside from wiping the outside down with a rag, it never gets cleaned! - the first person that comes within 10 feet of that gun with a cleaning rod will be severely beaten! (myself included) it's a tack driver when the barrel is dirty...

aside from these guns, ALL mine get cleaned ASAP after shooting, and my carry guns get cleaned weekly, even if not shot...

James T Thomas
October 25, 2005, 05:57 PM
I am amused at the perspective in the owner's manual of my Benelli B76, 9mm.

It states that after firing the gun some, you should clean the "dust" out of the mechanism. I suppose it is correct; the firing residue which is mostly fine graphite is just that -dust.

Wastemore
October 25, 2005, 06:27 PM
I must be a nutjob! My firearms are cleaned as soon as I return from shooting. You can open my safe at any time and you won't find a dirty firearm, ever. I can't see spending thousands of dollars on firearms and leaving them dirty.

Lonestar.45
October 25, 2005, 06:37 PM
I like the smell of Hoppe's #9, what can I say. I clean after every shoot. I can't stand having a dirty gun in the safe for any length of time. The only exception to this is my Model 60 .22, which doesn't get cleaned but after every 2-300 rounds, or if it malfunctions. And my deer rifle. If I put one bullet through it hunting, I may wait until just before the next deer season/sight in session to clean it, whenever that may be. That's the only exceptions.

Dr.Rob
October 25, 2005, 07:18 PM
Clean 'em and oil 'em and they'll last forever.

I do know a guy who swears that he's NEVER cleaned his Ruger P-85 other than to wip off the exterior with a rag. :uhoh:

Biker
October 25, 2005, 07:30 PM
I'm nearly ashamed to admit it, but most of my guns just don't require cleaning. My Glocks, revolvers and 870s get wiped down on the outside on occasion, but that's generally it.
Biker

jamz
October 25, 2005, 08:25 PM
In the spring I bought a Sig P239, and started attending some local steel plate matches. Each match had me go through 150-200 rounds or so, and I went almost every week. I decided that I was going to wait for the gun to fail before I cleaned it. It got really really dirty. I shot nothing but WWB, the mags were dropped into the sand each time, and I'd just wipe the side on my pants, reload, reinsert, sand got everywhere in the thing, and I'd just keep it loose in my range bag when I brought it home.

It never did misfire or otherwise fail to work. Eventually, in late august, I decided to carry it one weekend, so I gave it a good thorough cleaning beforehand.

fecmech
October 25, 2005, 11:14 PM
I shoot a Beretta 390 at sporting clays and I run it till it fails to feed or eject a couple times. That usually takes place at about 2300 to 2600 rds when the gas piston fouls, it then gets cleaned. I have my own pistol range on the back of my property and shoot handguns 4-5 times a week. The auto's (bhp and 1911) get cleaned every couple thousand rds when they really get gunked up. The revolvers basically get the cylinders brushed out when the cases get a little sticky. The handguns are fed a steady diet of cast bullets. If I cleaned my guns every time I used them I'd spend all my time cleaning, that's no fun! Nick

HI express
October 25, 2005, 11:26 PM
My CZ-75..500 plus rounds at a time without cleaning. 0 malfunctions so far.:neener:

TIMC
October 25, 2005, 11:38 PM
Had my 10/22 many yeard and never did more than spray the outside and wipe it down, still shoots great.

chris in va
October 26, 2005, 01:22 AM
I seldom clean my HiPoint carbine. It just doesn't need it. Lube it every couple sessions, that's about it. I think once I hosed it down with CLP, and ironically the factory recommends you don't disassemble it anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have a gun they just don't clean?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!