Doom movie

PDA

GregGry
October 23, 2005, 11:41 PM
I just got back from seeing the new Doom movie, and I liked it a lot. One thing I noticed, is that the rock used proper trigger control all the times I way paying attention to where his hand was. I can't say that about everyone else in the movie though. It looked like they had some sort of 1911 pistol as well, they didn't show it long enough to identify for sure. Over all a good movie if you like futuristic firearms :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Doom movie" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cbsbyte
October 23, 2005, 11:56 PM
I have not seen the movie, but I played the game! I have read the "Rock" is a gun owner, hunter and has plenty of practice with real weapons.

cslinger
October 24, 2005, 12:01 AM
On the plus side for the movie. Muzzle control was ok. Trigger discipline was ok. It was rated R like it should have been...........that's about it.

Has nothing to do with the game really. Wasn't really creepy at all and generally wasn't very good at all. Now it had it's fun moments but all in all I was very dissappointed.

Towards the end there are some internal conflicts that are pretty good and the Rock is fun and I thought Karl Urban did a pretty good job but that is about it.

One thing though. I am by no means a prude and I am known to cuss like a sailer but the Rock simply cannot pull off the F-Bomb. It just doesn't suit him. He is imposing enough without it and it just made me chuckle everytime he dropped the F word.

Make this one a matinee or a rental if you want to go see it.

Chris

captain obvious
October 24, 2005, 01:36 AM
I still can't believe it's actually out - this movie had been hyped since, what 1996?

Now I gots to go see it:D

45acpSHOOTER
October 24, 2005, 01:38 AM
I still can't believe it's actually out - this movie had been hyped since, what 1996?

Now I gots to go see it

Be advised. If you go with the hopes of seeing the story being told during the Doom game, you will be dissapointed and upset.

Otherwise, its a decent movie in its own right.

hillbilly
October 24, 2005, 01:42 AM
I refuse to pay any money whatsoever to actually endure a movie that's based on a friggin' video game....................

hillbilly

captain obvious
October 24, 2005, 01:44 AM
Doesn't matter -the game didn't have much of a plot anyway/

Lupinus
October 24, 2005, 01:46 AM
I saw it and it was ok. Standard shoot em up lots of blood and guts type movie. If you like those good flick, if not don't waste your money.

Though I would love to get my hands on that BFG :D

GregGry
October 24, 2005, 01:54 AM
Though I would love to get my hands on that BFG Better watch out, I hear there is going to be a 2,000 dollar batf tax on it :D

Lupinus
October 24, 2005, 01:55 AM
My BFG? What do you mean I have a BFG? I don't own a BFG Im a good gun hating American. :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

GregGry
October 24, 2005, 02:04 AM
Also, no way in heak would it be CA legal.. Texas for sure :D

Lupinus
October 24, 2005, 02:07 AM
glad I don't live in CA :neener:

Devonai
October 24, 2005, 02:21 AM
I saw two types of pistols in this movie. At least two Marines carry USPs, and The Rock carries a Desert Eagle.

GregGry
October 24, 2005, 02:22 AM
USPs, and The Rock carries a Desert Eagle. Yep desert eagle is for sure, but I saw a black gun that looked to be steel, I don't think it was a USP, more like a 1911, but I could be wrong.

hkuspnine
October 24, 2005, 03:58 AM
I've heard or read about several pro wrestlers that are into guns/hunting.

Cosmoline
October 24, 2005, 04:05 AM
Skip "Doom" and buy the new PC game "Fear."

http://www.whatisfear.com/us/

GregGry
October 24, 2005, 04:47 AM
Fear is good, I have it. I like a lot about it, but doom 3 still has a creepier atmosphere (then again I haven't played a lot of fear). I can say that I would love to have the rifle in fear, that turns people into just skeletons. If that was real, it would certainly be a one hit stop :what:. Now to just make it pocket sized :D

SomeKid
October 24, 2005, 05:53 AM
I refuse to pay any money whatsoever to actually endure a movie that's based on a friggin' video game....................

hillbilly

HB, I am a hardcore gaming, and can promise you, your average video game has a better story than most movies. If you do not believe me, play something like Area 51 (or kill.switch, kill.switch is friggen awesome). Some games let you create your own story, Fallout 1 and 2 are perfect examples (and immensely fun). Castle Wolfenstien also had a nice story to it. (Or, if you like strategy a lot, go into the Starcraft and Warcraft series from Blizzard.)

Personally, any of the previously mentioned would make a killer movie. Just to add to the list, Max Payne (1 and 2), MechWarrior (any, but especially 2 and 3, all xpaks included), MechCommander, would all make movies worth seeing. Yes, I am a gamer.

Fact is, the best and most creative minds aren't in Leftyworld, err Hollywood anymore.

Spiphel Rike
October 24, 2005, 08:13 AM
your average video game has a better story than most movies. Fact is, the best and most creative minds aren't in Leftyworld, err Hollywood anymore.

I hear that!!! :)

mbs357
October 24, 2005, 08:17 AM
f you go with the hopes of seeing the story being told during the Doom game, you will be dissapointed and upset.
....story....?
Let me all remind you that Doom was originally a very simple first person shooter "back in the day."
The story was little more than "Demons on Mars want to get to Earth, kill them!"
=p
(Yea, I know about Doom 3, which is actually around the 5th game...pretty cool in itself.)

bogie
October 24, 2005, 08:46 AM
Anyone else ever notice that little Junior, who's been diagnosed by his frenzied teacher with ADHD, has absolutely no problem concentrating on video games for hours? Or in trying to get a skateboard to do some sort of strange flippie? For hours?

Just a random observation...

dleong
October 24, 2005, 11:00 AM
I shall openly admit that I was (am?) a DOOM and DOOM II fanatic, and have spent many, many hours playing the game. The DOOM movie isn't exactly Masterpiece Theater--it's pure eye candy that will probably only be appreciated by die-hard DOOM aficionados and fanatics.

Apparently, there's a segment towards the end of the movie that's done in the classic FPS perspective. A friend who's also a DOOM fanatic suggested that we each sneak a keyboard and mouse into the cinema, and when the movie gets to the FPS segment, we break them out and make like we're playing DOOM on a huge screen, and have someone take a picture of us.

Think we'll get thrown out of the cinema for doing that? :D

GunnySkox
October 24, 2005, 11:15 AM
Remember your WASD! Only hellbound schoolgirl marines use the keypad layout!

But yeah, DOOM looks like a pretty stupid movie, but DOOM III actually has a fairly good plot, for what it is. At least they tried, and the delivery of it (I think) was great. It's kind of crazy to be receiving the backstory in those little chunks through eMails and Audio Logs and stuff.

"And he.. uh.. backed into the particle beam. It was - heh - it was not a pretty sight, as the beam took off most of the back of his head and..." ~Audio Log found in the Elemental Phase Deconstructor control room.

~GnSx

KONY
October 24, 2005, 11:15 AM

hillbilly

Unless Angelina Jolie is in it, of course! ;)

Fly320s
October 24, 2005, 11:38 AM
I haven't seen the movie, and probably won't, but I did hear an audio clip of an interview with The Rock. He was saying how much he enjoyed shooting the BFG and how much fun he had during the weapons training prior to the film.

The Rock is a very articulate and educated man, which is surprising to me considering his chosen line of work.:D

StopTheGrays
October 24, 2005, 12:15 PM
I shall openly admit that I was (am?) a DOOM and DOOM II fanatic, and have spent many, many hours playing the game. The DOOM movie isn't exactly Masterpiece Theater--it's pure eye candy that will probably only be appreciated by die-hard DOOM aficionados and fanatics.

Apparently, there's a segment towards the end of the movie that's done in the classic FPS perspective. A friend who's also a DOOM fanatic suggested that we each sneak a keyboard and mouse into the cinema, and when the movie gets to the FPS segment, we break them out and make like we're playing DOOM on a huge screen, and have someone take a picture of us.

Think we'll get thrown out of the cinema for doing that? :D
This is as close as I came to that. Back when Doom was first out I borrowed a projector from work and used it to play the game. Hooked it up to a laptop and projected the game on a wall. At the time only one word could describe what it was like...AWESOME.

Concerning the movie, in the previews I have seen I thought I heard a remix of the original music. Is that true? If so, cool.

Tim James
October 24, 2005, 01:31 PM
One thing though. I am by no means a prude and I am known to cuss like a sailer but the Rock simply cannot pull off the F-Bomb. It just doesn't suit him. He is imposing enough without it and it just made me chuckle everytime he dropped the F word.You're absolutely right. I noticed that too. The word sounded out of place everytime he used it. I know nothing about boot camp, but I always thought these sargeant-type authority figures would sound more powerful if they didn't bother to swear.

BenW
October 24, 2005, 01:56 PM
I am by no means a prude and I am known to cuss like a sailer but the Rock simply cannot pull off the F-Bomb.
Not to veer the thread too much but:

I am also not a prude, but if one thing bugs me about modern movies, it's dropping the F (and many other) bombs every other sentence. Cussing can be appropriate in the right kind of film when used VERY SPARINGLY to signify the gravity of a particular situation. Somehow things have gotten to the point where a movie isn't "good" unless the characters are represented as so uneducated that they lack the vocabulary to form a cogent sentence without a four-letter qualifier. "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" was a great movie without a single cussword in the script. Whatever happened to that kind of scriptwriting?

Back to Doom -- I'm going to check it out, but after it's out on DVD. Maybe it'll be a Director's Cut that uses the simpsons.wad :D

Brian Williams
October 24, 2005, 02:21 PM
Anybody ever play DOOM on a network with the -l and -r switches. On a DOS network if you had 3 computers setup you could run the left one with IIRC setup/n -l and the right one with a -r and the center one with setup/n then when you ran all 3 the left and right computers ran what was 90 degrees to the left and right of the center one.
I have a set of 3 Dell computers for this but no dos drivers for the sound cards or a set of netware discs.
IIRC this dos not run on 95 or 98 with DOOM95

mattf7184
October 24, 2005, 03:28 PM
Worse movie with the rock I have seen. I was disappointed. Go see Serenity (again) instead of this.

DelayedReaction
October 24, 2005, 03:36 PM
I was very surprised by the trigger discipline. It's nice to see something small like that enter a mainstream movie, especially one as silly as this.

I enjoyed it. As a Doom player from the beginning, I was happy to see something that featured the BFG in a movie. Beyond that it had absolutely nothing to do with the game.

Hopefully they'll have a sequel. Done completely in first person perspective. Maybe that's where he goes to hell.

DevLcL
October 24, 2005, 04:33 PM
I would have made the whole thing in FPS and have the rock be the only character... like doom...

I mean, come on, a team of soldiers fighting some sort of alien or monster.... SAME OLD STORY!!!

Altho, I do want to check it out cuz I did play alot of doom.

mbs357
October 24, 2005, 05:00 PM
There should be a segment at the end with that Karl Urban dude fighting himself in one of the game's areas...or better yet, one of the old maps.
Hehe...he could complain to himself about being a spawn camper, or using the double barrel too much.

Man I loved that side by side.

mamba
October 24, 2005, 06:26 PM
Saw it, not bad. Enjoyable to see a DOOM/Quake style FPS get big screen play. I love the games, and enjoyed the movie. It's not masterpiece theatre, but lets be honest, thats not your style anyway. ;)

Turtle Club
October 25, 2005, 01:16 AM
The Rock is a very articulate and educated man, which is surprising to me considering his chosen line of work.:D

Who needs to be a very articulate and educated man when you have made millions by prancing around in your underwear working only a few hours a night.

If I were him, the only thing I would need to be articulate about is when I tell the cashier at the bank...."Ill take that all in 100's dear. Thanks"

Rickstir
October 25, 2005, 11:15 AM
Haven't been to see any Hollywood trash in 12 years, don't plan to go back anytime soon. That's about the time they let the computer take over and stopped having actors actually act.

ChevellRCR
October 25, 2005, 11:33 AM
I kinda would like to see them make a movie out of Half Life.

Chrontius
October 25, 2005, 04:17 PM
Doesn't matter -the game didn't have much of a plot anyway/

You'd be suprised. Go try Doom3 some time. Or Half-Life 2.

I kinda would like to see them make a movie out of Half Life.

Yeah, but they'd have to find an actor with a bad stutter to play Gordon. :evil: (note: HL2 has a huge audio glitch causing audio stuttering and crashing in the early releases, dunno if it's fixed yet)

From another forum:

Y'know, if you fudge it right, this could be a prequel for Doom 3 -- about the point where the magical medkits based on Chr24 are invented, and the BFG goes through a couple more revisions before being forked into the plasma rifle and BFG9000 (Boron Fusion Gun? Balefire gun? Beats the hell out of 'bio-force gun' -- what was that, a chi cannon?) (Second note - it would be funny as hell IMHO if every time the BFG came out with a new revision in the plot, the iD guys came up with a semi-believable backronym for BFG and inserted a 'yeah, but the lab guys still call it the big f***ing gun' joke somewhere, as a standing gag)

The pseudo-religeous overtones from the first movie are expanded upon, made a little deeper and more thoughtful; it is revealed that there isn't just a virus, that the zombies and demons are spawned from the souls of the damned and not merely their flesh.

In fact, that Doom2: The Movie could be really damn good.

As it was, I recommend seeing Doom in a $5 theater. I did, and I don't think I overpaid.

atk
October 25, 2005, 04:34 PM
Anyone else ever notice that little Junior, who's been diagnosed by his frenzied teacher with ADHD, has absolutely no problem concentrating on video games for hours? Or in trying to get a skateboard to do some sort of strange flippie? For hours?

Just a random observation...

All: sorry about the hijack.

Bogie,

ADHD has several symptoms, and the inability to concentrate on a single topic for a long period of time is not the only one. http://web4health.info/en/answers/adhd-diagn-dsm.htm

Also, it's not uncommon for people with ADHD to be able to concentrate on something, to the exclusion of all else, for some stretches of time, while, at other times, to be unable to concentrate on anything for other stretches of time.

WarMachine
October 25, 2005, 05:04 PM
They have an FN P90 in one of the posters...

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/doom/doom_bigposter.jpg

...wouldn't be my choice for fighting one of these things :uhoh:

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/doom/doom_concept2.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Doom movie" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!