Mailing unassembled firearm question

PDA

Citadel99
October 24, 2005, 09:36 AM
If I'm sending off the parts to be assembled, does it have to go FedEx/UPS or is that only for fully assembled rifles?

Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Mailing unassembled firearm question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911user
October 24, 2005, 09:45 AM
The receiver (serial numbered part) is the firearm; the other parts are just machined metal and have no US shipping restrictions. If you are mailing the reciever (wheather assembled into a firearm or not), then you are shipping a firearm. Rifles/shotguns can be sent using US Mail, UPS, Fedex, etc. but it should be declared (and insured). Handguns have to go UPS or Fedex overnight; in some (many?) cases, it's cheaper to pay a FFL to send because an FFL can send a handgun via normal USPS mail (overnight not required). Your question should be answered in there somewhere :D

Citadel99
October 24, 2005, 10:00 AM
That's the info I needed. Thanks. I had forgotten that the overnight applied to handguns only.

Mark

bogie
October 24, 2005, 03:21 PM
Keep in mind that some things may set off sensors/alarms - a few years back (pre 9/11) I sent some dies and cases into Wilson's. I got back a box with one die, a couple cases, and a coupla sheets of paper, from where the PO "inspected" it.

Graystar
October 25, 2005, 06:11 AM
Remember, the "overnight" requirement is imposed by the shippers, not the law. Federal law doesn't state any required timeline for delivery.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mailing unassembled firearm question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!