Another Gun show rant.

PDA

jsalcedo
October 25, 2005, 02:20 PM
I must have some kind of memory loss problem or an masochistic tendencies
because I still go to the monthly gun show.

It's not funny anymore maybe it would be if it was my worst enemy instead of me.

Row 1

Beat up ruger mkII looks like it has been dragged behind a pickup through a granite quarry. $250 Remington police shotguns used really really used
all finish gone off action and stock $280 each. Guy selling old gun magazines
from 2003 woot! they sucked 2 years ago and they don't age like wine either.

Row 2 Dremel bits, military clothing marked up about 3x from the surplus store
which is marked up 3x from cheaperthandirt.com and some guy with a bunch of old colt SAA (if they are real).

I ask the guy how much for the 44.40?
"Moren you got boy"

I tell him "you don't know how much I got old man".

Row 3 about 1500 non descript bolt action rifles lined up with no one tending the tables. If anyone wants one "TFB" buddy.

Row 4 Some jerk face selling badly reblued junk guns for about 200% more than I can buy them new. When I offer a reasonable price for one the one passable examples they roll their eyes and move on to the next customer without countering my offer.

Row 5 some 1911 accessories that I might want to try out for fun.
when I ask if they have a certain item the guy looks at me and says with a surly sarcastic tone "gee I don't know there only seems to be 20 on the table"

I reply "and it looks like I won't be buying any of them"

Then there is crooked ammo man.
Reproduction military .45acp boxes filled with Amerc ammo on sale for $15 a box Hi. do you have any 7.62x25. Oh yeah here you go only $12 dollars a box
"but sir all these are green and blue with cracked necks"
"Thats not my problem I'm just watching the table for someone"

Row 6 military surplus man. about 759 cosmoline soaked bayonets
Got one for a SMLE MKIII I ask? Yeah its $175 Which one is it? staring at the
gooey crate full of battered pig stickers. I don't know you'll have to dig for it.
he says.

Nazi man with nazi clothes books, coins and autographed pics of himmler.
Guy looks like Michael Moore with a weight problem and worse facial hair.

Cleaning supplies priced about 50% higher than the sporting goods store.
Bore snakes for 34.95 What a bargain!!!!

Row 7 Got to go to the bathroom. All stalls are filled with vey big very stinky people. Green methane gas clouds my vision I resist the urge to turn puke and run but don't quite succeed.

Candles rocks, log art, some guy selling his autographed books about being a Texas ranger.I would stop and chat with the Ranger but the scented candles already gave me a migraine. If they weren't 15 bucks each I would take one into the bathroom and blow that place sky high.

Snack bar, Next to the bathroom dear god no. I'm going to go buy a $9 bottle of hoppes to get the smell out of my clothes.

Decent ammo table finally but the SOB won't get off his cell phone so I can buy from him. Is he talking business? Nooooo. He is talking about how stupid his customers are and how much he hates dealing with the morons at the gun show... Know what? I agree Buh Bye This moron won't be buying the 3 cases of .308.

Last table some guy trying to peddle beat up Garands for $1200 each cause they are rare tanker models ( I can see the crappy welds and it looks like they modified the stock with a rusty spoon)

I've got a grand burning a hole in my pocket so I buy some candy almonds from the girl leaning over with her blouse open. Come to think of it at this point I'm not sure if it was a girl with cleavage or a guy bending over who needed a belt.

By this time the exit is looking real good and I SWEAR I'm never ever going to gome back to this cess hole of a home for displaced stinky nazi's and con men.

Until I forget again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another Gun show rant." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
October 25, 2005, 02:22 PM
"Does that got da switch?"

f4t9r
October 25, 2005, 02:35 PM
Our shows are bad but not as bad as yours
Its really getting harder to find good deals anymore, you can save the trouble and get as good or better on line, But like you I get sucked in to the local gun show!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnBT
October 25, 2005, 02:36 PM
"I still go to the monthly gun show"

Me too and it's better exercise than paying to sit through a movie. Gun shows are endlessly entertaining if you like your humor on the level of the Simpsons. I don't even take much money with me anymore. If I ever decide I have to have a $2000 or $3000 gun from a gun show I'll just have to charge it or put a deposit on it and go get the money.

John

Guido
October 25, 2005, 02:41 PM
I would have to agree most are going down hill. I've worked a table for a buddy a couple of times and it seems like most of the "dealers" care more about impressing you with their arrogance, I mean ignorance, I mean knowledge - than selling. :scrutiny:

TABING
October 25, 2005, 02:43 PM
I quit going to gun shows years ago. It seems it was always the same old dusty people selling the same old dusty crap, usually way overpriced.

HD
October 25, 2005, 02:48 PM
kali=:barf:

jashobeam
October 25, 2005, 03:00 PM
Members of this forum often write that they can't wait to go to the next gun show, where they will purchase their next firearm.

So, I assumed that gun shows are somewhere to find great guns at good prices and get to meet representatives from the firearms manufacturers.

WRONG!! Not in Santa Clara, CA. There were no reps. There was little there that I wouldn't describe as junk. Sure, there were coins and medals and bumper stickers and t-shirts. The ammo looked like it was salvaged from a fire-damaged pawn shop. There was only one table with new handguns. I felt duped. I was beginning to wonder if all these THR members who love the gun shows must live out in the sticks and have never been inside of a real, well-stocked gun shop. There were, however, some pretty cool knives that I would probably never see in any store.

But, nevertheless, I can honestly say that I will never forget NOT to attend another gun show--I don't care who puts it on.

20cows
October 25, 2005, 03:00 PM
The last one I went to I did find two nice, older Savage/Stevens 311's I got for $525 together (from separate dealers). Three dealers tried to buy them from me before I got out the door.

Lonestar.45
October 25, 2005, 03:12 PM
I know what you mean. But I always find myself going back. I like seeing the guys come back show after show with the same beat up overpriced guns. How do they ever make any money when I know most of their guns have been to the show with them 6 months in a row? $450 for a WASR? $250 for a beat up Yugo SKS, and they want $25 for the "accessory kit" consisting of crusted leather and rusty tools? No thanks.

Lately I limit my buying to some ammo cans for storage, maybe some ammo, and that's about it. I did buy a very nice Mosin M-38 for $85 a while back, an arsenal refinish that was in perfect shape. Every other table had them for $125 on up and most were junk, this one table had 5 that were pristine. I took the one with the best bore. As far as new pistols and rifles, the prices aren't any better at the show than they are at many of the local shops. But hey, if you're in the market for scented candles, jerky, dremel tools, and fake Nazi "militaria", it's definitely the place to be one weekend a month. :rolleyes:

Camp David
October 25, 2005, 03:15 PM
I assumed that gun shows are somewhere to find great guns at good prices and get to meet representatives from the firearms manufacturers..

My experience is just the reverse; perhaps I have just gone to some very bad gun shows. In any event, I would never consider buying a gun, or a hotdog, at any gun show. Why? A few reasons...

Guns being sold are as is; no representation is made beyond "BUYER BEWARE" and once you leave dealer table you're on your own; you'll never see dealer/salesman again...

Opportunity exists at gun shows for wild claims with no recourse; my experience is many of these folks have never fired a gun.

If I have insulted good dealers and honest gun show salesman my apologies; but I have been lied to, swindled, and taken advantage of too many times to give these "shows" any more attention...

I patronize reputable gun dealers who wish to stay in business, have a stake in return business, and live by their reputation. Like car dealers, gun shows have a bad rep in my book...

My guess is that I just attended the wrong shows and I am sure there are good dealers out their that go to these shows; I just never met any...

I think more people should just patronize their local Gun Store and these "shows" would just disappear...

wundudnee
October 25, 2005, 03:27 PM
I guess I'm the exception. I love gun shows. I get a little irritated with the junk tables, however I've done quite well finding decent firearms. This week I got a S&W pre 27 .357 magnum 3 1/2" for $400.00 and a like new S&W model 17-4 for $360.00. I have done better on some prices at different times. Even if I don't find anything I want, I can usually find someone with like interests that likes to visit. Besides I like the smell of a combination of Hoppe's # 9, beef jerky and musty cammies.

Here are this weeks new toys.
http://www.fototime.com/{26FFE5B7-CB66-4653-88E5-26958D3D428B}/picture.JPG
:)

R.W.Dale
October 25, 2005, 03:42 PM
I was verry disapointed in this years Tulsa gun show, I would say that 75%+ of the firearms there were rusty non firing wall hanger relics. The prices were through the roof, I couldn't find a single Mosin Nagant for less than $120 one table had some M38 and M44 priced to sell at $400 norinco SKS rifles were 300 dollars! I went through the entire show today and exactly 1 vendor actually tried to sell me something most sat in ther chairs stuffin their faces. I bought one $3.00 box of 7.62x39 ammo in the show.
I won't be wasting another trip I'll go to Dong's reloading store in tulsa and skip the show, service, selection and prices are better and admission is free.
The tulsa gunshow is supposed to be the worlds largest at 11 acres. This years show was a 2 acre gunshow scattered amongst a 9 acre flea market. If I ran the show If it didn't go on or in a gun, or a gun didn't go on or in it I wouldn't allow the vendors to push it. I cannot figure out how wood carvings and indian jewlery realte to firearms

Old Dog
October 25, 2005, 03:45 PM
Apparently, we're very lucky up in the Evergreen State. The Washington Arms Collectors is not only a fine (and active) group, they put on the best gun show in the West ... I've made a number of excellent trades and even purchased some great used guns (we still see a lot of nice S&W revolvers up here) as well as bought a new gun or too from a dealer's table ... It's not even so much the guns at these shows, though, it's the chance to get together with a lot of like-minded folks (and also be somewhat awed by the sheer numbers of gun folks in attendence).

Larry Ashcraft
October 25, 2005, 03:50 PM
I gotta agree with most on the local gun shows. I only go to the one here if I need reloading components AND I figure I can save the $5.00 admission fee. I've seen the same overpriced guns for at least three years.

But..., there are exceptions:

The Phoenix show, around Thanksgiving, is huge and excellent.

The New Mexico Gun Collectors show in Albuquerque in the fall is a good one.

The BEST though, is here: http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com Eleven acres, 3800+ tables. I believe Joe Wannenmacher limits non-gun tables to 2% of the show.
Joe Wanenmacher travels all over the country to find the best exhibitors with the nicest displays. Most exhibitors bring their best and unusual merchandise to Tulsa because it sells.

sm and I went last April. Steve talked to at least one dealer and asked him which other shows they go to. He said: "We only come to Tulsa, this is where the buyers are".

WarMachine
October 25, 2005, 03:55 PM
I don't why, but for some reason the mere mention of a firearm can turn some people into total ***holes. :barf:

Even the cut-throat used car industry isn't nearly as bad as some of the stuff I have encountered. It's almost like they don't want you to buy their worthless crap.

R.W.Dale
October 25, 2005, 04:11 PM
The BEST though, is here: http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com Eleven acres, 3800+ tables. I believe Joe Wannenmacher limits non-gun tables to 2% of the show.

That is a complete load, More like 72% That became quite evident to me after walking only 2 or 3 rows.

dracphelan
October 25, 2005, 04:20 PM
I didn't know there was a gun show at Big Town this past weekend. :banghead:

Fu-man Shoe
October 25, 2005, 04:32 PM
There certainly is a lot of people airing out thier overpriced
junky old crap at gun shows, but occasionaly you find a good
deal. The last show I was at in Norfolk, VA had a few good
deals, and a lot of fairly reasonable deals.

Yugo SKS - $110 (several, still in cosmo, fair cond.)

Rossi .38 revolvers - $100 (several, varying cond.)

SA "standard" M1A synthetic stock - $1000 (just one, excellent cond.)

Mosin-Nagant M44 - $85 (several, good cond.)

The only thing I bought at that show was some ammo, some
ammo cans, and a Colt Mustang .380 in excellent condition
for $450. I felt positive about that one. I'd been looking for one
for a long time, and even on the online auction sites they always
go for more than that.

But as always, and especially when dealing with gunshows, YMMV.

Fu-man Shoe

scout26
October 25, 2005, 04:32 PM
Hmmmm..

I must go to different Gun Shows. No KKK or Nazi stuff ("Nazi's ?!?!?, I hate Illinois Nazi's" :D ) other then a few pieces of obvious WWII bring back stuff with the rest of the militaria.

To me it's like one big garage sale (only with guns), and sure there's a lot of overpriced junk, but there's also some deals to be had. And you'll see the same things month after month for the same price. But occasionally you find that rare gem and maybe you can haggle over price. It's the ultimate free market activity (and there are guns!!). If you don't like the price, haggle, if the seller doesn't want to haggle, then don't. It's a free country, he can load it back up into his truck and bring it back to find another sucker/buyer next month. :neener:

I've gone to shows and spent several hundred dollars because I found something(s) that struck my fancy and I've gone and spent nothing. I guess it's because I have no expectations and have the attitude: "If I find something great, if not, then I spent a couple of hours walking around looking at guns and gun stuff." I can think of much worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

Larry Ashcraft
October 25, 2005, 04:44 PM
walking only 2 or 3 rows
Umm, OK. :rolleyes:

RaggedClaws
October 25, 2005, 04:50 PM
When I offer a reasonable price for one the one passable examples they roll their eyes and move on to the next customer without countering my offer.

I hate when merchants won't haggle, or even just say the price is firm. Once I was in a flea market in Manhattan, I wanted to buy this cracked wooden statue. I asked the guy how much and he said 30 bucks. So I said, will you take 20 bucks? And looks me square in the eye and says, 40 bucks.

:cuss:

Sorry to hear your show sucked so bad.

Daniel964
October 25, 2005, 04:57 PM
I went to the gun show here in Columbus this saturday and had a good time.

I picked up a nice Turkish mauser for $70 and a MN 91/30 hex reciever Tula aresenal for $80. They had round reciver ones for $70.

Case of 7.62X54 880 rounds for $59.

2,000 rounds of 7.62X39 for $250. That was a little pricy but no one else had any.

Can't wait till the next show.

thereisnospoon
October 25, 2005, 05:12 PM
Yes, I too have the gunshow blues...

I walked around the AGCA this wekkend in B'Ham in 20 minutes. Ussually there are 250+ tables, lots of pesentation tables, etc. This weekend it was all junk and way overpriced and if there was 175 tables they were lucky, and some of those were empty.

The only thing I bought was some ammo Wolf .308 (wanted to buy a few boxes before I buy a whole case or more) and reloading dies for my Dillon, whixh the guy charges the same as the Blue Press.

Traded one gun for two, but beyond that, everything else was, for the most part, the same old stuff the dealers have been draggin around for the last 6 months, still overpriced.

I have decided that the internet is the best place to buy/sell...please refer to my current for sale items...(shameless plug!).

Here's the question,m though. IF gunshows go the way of the DODO, what happens when the Gov't gets control of the old internet?

Paranoid?

GlenJ
October 25, 2005, 05:14 PM
What I love is how if your selling the dealer will break out the book and tell you your gun isn't worth what you want while he's selling used 10/22s for $250 plus. Ever since my local shop let me swap out a P3AT instead of sending it back I try to give them my business when I can. They also give free range memberships for 1 year with firearm purchase new or used.

CentralTexas
October 25, 2005, 05:34 PM
I got da blues, I got the gun show blues.
When it comes to town, I can't refuse.
I hardly ever get a deal unless I want to steal.
The old one eyed man ain't got no sales appeal.

I don't come here for the cheerful smiles and
Some times I walk for miles
up and down the dirty aisles
Gotta find the one, the holy grail gotta have gun

I don't know why I keep going back
It's as addictive as smoking crack
I don't have enough money and there it is honey, I got the blues!
CT

Average Joe
October 25, 2005, 05:35 PM
Its fun to go to gun shows and look around, but you have to know the prices of things, before you buy, otherwise, they will take you to the cleaners.

Lonestar.45
October 25, 2005, 05:54 PM
+1

It's scary to see the newbies walk around trying to sell guns to dealers, and get taken big time. Like any other sales situation, if you haven't done your homework, you're likely not to get a good deal.

Hutch
October 25, 2005, 05:55 PM
Gun shows are like religious events for me. Even a bad one beats none at all. I'll generally try to read a current Shotgun News and Gun List to see what the big wholesalers are pushing these days, to make sure my feel for prices is trustworthy.

Last weekend was my first trip to Tulsa for Wannamakers. Holy Cow! I obviously needed a better strategy. I passed up some deals I shoulda took, and got burned out and foot sore before seeing it all. I saw a very nice looking Winchester 1912 in 12g, with LOTS of bluing, prob'ly 80+%, no patina. I thought it musta been re-blued, but the roll marks were so crisp, I couldn't decide. Was that worth $275? By the time I reflected on it, I lost my way back to the table. Saw my very firstest ever "live and in color" Registered Magnum. Where you gonna go see those at your local gunshop?

Learn to ignore the beanie babies and jerky. As for the rest, "It's all good".

Carl N. Brown
October 25, 2005, 06:08 PM
Locally, we have gunshows about four times a year
at the Civic Auditorium and the local Conference
Center (staggered schedules) and it seems spring and
fall at the fair grounds.

The first poster's experience sounds like the gunshow
from hell, or a nightmare.

First, I prefer to buy guns from my local stocking dealer
because he likes to close up shop and go to the gun club
to let you testfire before buying. When my first Grendel
P10 broke a mainspring, he handled sending it to the
factory and I got it back rebuilt, no charge. Testfire on
used guns before purchase: service after the sale: you
do not get that from gunshow dealers.

Now at gun shows, I have bought a CZvz52 pistol (holster,
two magazines and cleaning rod) for 129.00 and a Marlin 39M
Mountie for 250.00 but mostly I look for ammo, magazines,
spare parts. I passed on a Century CETME at the gunshow
priced at 250.00: no testfire before sale, I no buy on a
Century CETME.

I have seen a gun show dealer who wanted 600.00 for an Iver
Johnson .38 S&W top break (same price he wanted for a
Smith & Wesson top break, same vintage and condition).
And yes, I have seen obviously rebuilt Mauser broomhandles
that the vendor would want you to assume are originals.
And I have found mixed lot .45 ACP in new cardboard boxes.
These vendors are in the minority and I remember them for
next time.

There is a vendor I always buy my MREs from: fair prices
and friendly black husband and wife team. There's a gunsmith
type who always has several tables of odd parts always worth
browsing and reasonable prices. There are good ones too.

Caveat gun show emptor.

Larry Ashcraft
October 25, 2005, 06:08 PM
By the time I reflected on it, I lost my way back to the table.
I learned to take a pad and pencil and write down row and table number of anything I'm interested in, because you'll never find it again if you don't.

GEM
October 25, 2005, 06:13 PM
The Texas Saxet shows are pretty decent. They are the place to buy a standard gun at a price significantly cheaper than the stores in town. Some tables are run by jerks but some are decent.

kennedy
October 25, 2005, 06:28 PM
I like the tri-state shows in my area, I have my favorite dealers, one guy always has orginal swede ammo, another colts and if I have the cash always buy since his prices are fair, another mil surplus slings and bayonets at fair prices. There are also a bunch I see show after show with the same overpriced junk, that I don`t waste my time even looking at, but the good out weigh the bad and it beats staying home and cutting the grass.

R.H. Lee
October 25, 2005, 06:29 PM
Gun shows suck. I haven't been to a decent one since the 70's.

jsalcedo
October 25, 2005, 06:40 PM
I guess I'm ranting because back in the early 80's gun shows were awesome.

Girls in string bikinis posing with machine guns.. And table after table of cool looking class 3 stuff. Gizmos and all kinds of products were everywhere some were junk some were innovative all were interesting.

There was competition everywhere, M1 carbines for $90, I bought a hakim for $100 and the guy threw in a jungle carbine and a sears 16 guage pump for free.

Everyone seemed nice and ready to haggle or sell or just shoot the breeze.

There were boxes and boxes of misc cartridges, old mags and books, dies
holsters knives etc...

I still have boxes of cool crap I bought back then and I'm still buying guns for
bags of ammo I purchased for .25cents 20 years ago.

Ahh the good old days are gone it seems and gun show people are no longer
cool mercenary types on the edge.

Nowadays all you find are bunch of pissed off old men grubbing pennies and treating customers like dog s***

Double Maduro
October 25, 2005, 06:49 PM
Apparently, we're very lucky up in the Evergreen State. The Washington Arms Collectors is not only a fine (and active) group, they put on the best gun show in the West ... I've made a number of excellent trades and even purchased some great used guns (we still see a lot of nice S&W revolvers up here) as well as bought a new gun or too from a dealer's table ... It's not even so much the guns at these shows, though, it's the chance to get together with a lot of like-minded folks (and also be somewhat awed by the sheer numbers of gun folks in attendence).

Old Dog,

Is that the group that puts on the shows at the fairgrounds in Puyallup? If so, I was at one of their shows a few years ago, fine show and friendly people.

DM

thebaldguy
October 25, 2005, 06:57 PM
A bad gun show is still better than a good day at work. I like going to them; you never know what you'll find. Kind of like a garage sale. My girlfriend likes to check them out too; she's found some pretty neat stuff that isn't always gun related. My non-gun owning friends like going as well. I like to see the variety of firearms for sale of course. Sometimes you find good stuff, sometimes you don't.

My favorite story is a guy selling a used and battered 30-30 Marlin lever action. "How much" I asked. His response: $400.00! That Sunday morning in the Mills Fleet Farm ad was a brand new Marlin 30-30 for $280.00. I pointed that fact out to him, and he said, "they don't make 'em like this anymore". I smiled, and thanked him. Finding good deals is your responsibility, not his.

hotpig
October 25, 2005, 07:43 PM
The internet is going to be the death of the gun show. I have not bothered setting up at one in a year.

The last show I did was better than all of the year before put together. I sold 3000 rounds of 7.62x39, 10 boxes 20 ga slugs, 3 G17 hi cap mags. 2 pair of BDU, and two boxes of Ranger 9mm. Yes, it was a banner weekend in Illinois.

BTW my tables were just outside of the restrooms.:barf:

Guyon
October 25, 2005, 07:48 PM
I go for one dealer alone. Have bought a few pistols from him at decent prices. He's a little gruff, but not not so bad that you can't deal with him. Otherwise, I only go to get ammo cans or odd-caliber ammo.

Wasz
October 25, 2005, 08:07 PM
I tend to hate gun shows. I go and being only 21 and looking like a giant 16 year old no one will so much as bother to talk to me unless they are trying to get me to buy a 5 dollar finger killing chinese knife. I dont really know enough to scope out a deal. I did one time find a couple guys who make knives and BSed with them for a while and bought a nice little knife for 50 bucks. Ended up giving it to my cousin, it was a small 3 finger knife for me but it fit her little hand great and she liked it. Other than that Ive always felt as if I had wasted the entrance fee to get into the show.

bruss01
October 26, 2005, 12:30 PM
I attend the "Code of the West" gun show in Vallejo, CA 2 or 3 times a year.

Since I've taken an interest in firearms only the past 2 years, I can't comment on what gun shows must've been like back in the Good Old Days.

My take on it is, if you like flea markets and garrage sales, and have an interest in guns, you'll probably like the gun shows. I usually buy ammo there, since I can buy in bulk without having to pay shipping. Miwall is usually there, and they have about the best prices I've seen (not counting mail-order).

There are several things I enjoy about the experience: I get to see things I never knew existed, I get to find things my local gun store doesn't carry, and I can find merchandise that I couldn't get from my local gun store at any price, period.

For instance, I buy most of my firearms on-line. However, I have been wanting an inexpensive .22 revolver. There are very few that are listed on the CA "Approved Handgun" list (yes it sucks big time). The few that are, run $500 or more, a bit steep for a "plinker". It's illegal to bring a handgun into the state that isn't on the approved list, and it's illegal for a dealer to sell one in state that isn't on the approved list. But private party... ah! As long as it's already in the state, and an ffl processes the transfer. So I finally found a H&R 929 that fit the bill precisely - at the gun show. Of course it was about $50 over-priced, and the ffl absolutely raped me on transfer fees, but I don't care - I got what I wanted, which was more important to me than getting a great price, and I still consider it a reasonable deal. As a bonus, I discovered that it fit a second-hand holster I had knocking around. Sweet.

Also, you find some fascinating, one-of-a-kind items. I found a .308 "bubba" built on a Swiss 1911 (rifle) reciever. It looks pretty rough, but it might have potential. I've got an interest in the Swiss straight-pull rifles, and I've been looking for an inexpensive bolt gun in .308 as a platform for a scout-rifle project. Where am I going to find an oddball rifle like that again? At the very least, it's a great conversation piece. Talked the guy down from $175 to 150 - he was decent about it and I may have overpaid but I figure he needs to make a living too. Now I've got my fall "project gun".

As an engineer, I like finding something I haven't seen before, some new or different answer to the question of how to launch a projectile. It is a subject of unending fascination to me. So I can spend 3 hours gawking and fondling, never spend a dime, and walk out with a smile on my face. I do have to laugh at the "good ol boys" with their overpriced junk, but I figure they don't really want to sell anything, they're just there to fill time and hang out with other "gun nuts". Being in CA, it's refreshing to have a venue where you know that everyone in the room is a gun-lover too.

So, though I don't make a point of being there every time the doors are open, I'll continue to put in an appearance, and who knows what trash or treasure I might find there next? That anticipation of sifting the two, that's fun for me.

Missashot
October 26, 2005, 04:05 PM
Just climbing back into the chair from rolling in the floor! :D
Funny story. Hated your show sucked though.
I'm lucky. The few shows that I have been to, I have went with my husband. He seems to know what is worth looking at and what to skip over.:scrutiny:

jondar
October 26, 2005, 05:31 PM
I went to one last Saturday, pleasantly surprised at the prices. Not a large amount of guns there. Bought a Mosin Nagant M38, about VG, shiny bore, cleaning rod for $65. Had either a new bolt head or extractor which hadn't been fitted. Other than that OK. I thought the two best buys were a Glock 9mm for $360 and a Norinco 1911 in the box, ratty box, $325. I agree tho that gun shows seem to be going downhill.

bubbygator
October 26, 2005, 05:48 PM
Here in Florida, we have plenty of guns. Besides the normal dealers & junk dealers, we have a lot of sportsmen, collectors, & CCWers who change their guns around fairly regularly at the shows. I've been pretty happy taking the hand-me-downs from some pretty sophisticated shooters around here.

adaman04
October 26, 2005, 06:04 PM
I'm crying from that post. That was golden. You have a great take on gun shows. See you at the next one. :D

Matthew748
October 26, 2005, 07:04 PM
I like gun shows. I don’t always find deals, but it is nice to look around at least. A lot of people don’t disclose any info on their location, so it is hard to pinpoint the “bad” areas, but northwest Indiana and northeast Illinois put on some decent shows. I find a lot of good deals on reloading equipment at Illinois shows for some reason ($95.00 for a NIB Redding Ultramag press was my best find), and decent deals on ammo and guns in Indiana.

I was at a show in Crown Point Indiana last weekend. It wasn’t the best show, but it was still fun to go to.

Strings
October 26, 2005, 07:26 PM
Heh... want to have fun? Bring your own copy of the Blue Book to the gun show, and referance it whenever someone's trying to rob you. Works for me... :evil:

Hawkmoon
October 26, 2005, 09:20 PM
There were, however, some pretty cool knives that I would probably never see in any store.
But you can certainly see most (if not all) of them in the catalogs from Bud K, Atlanta Cutlery and Smokey Mountain Knife Works. And for about 1/3 the price.

Starter52
October 26, 2005, 09:21 PM
I find the best deals at gun shows come from other folks walking around with guns to sell. If you know your guns you can get some good ones. I picked up an early Ruger O/U from a guy at a show in Concord (NH) for hundreds less than the stores were asking. It turned out to be a sweet-shooting gun.

GunGoBoom
October 26, 2005, 11:19 PM
I must have some kind of memory loss problem or an masochistic tendencies because I still go to the monthly gun show.

Ha, me too! Someday we'll learn...maybe?

Snack bar, Next to the bathroom dear god no. I'm going to go buy a $9 bottle of hoppes to get the smell out of my clothes.

I buy some candy almonds from the girl leaning over with her blouse open. Come to think of it at this point I'm not sure if it was a girl with cleavage or a guy bending over who needed a belt.

LMBO; that is some funny prose man! Thanks.

So WHERE was this?

Alex45ACP
October 26, 2005, 11:28 PM
Nazi man with nazi clothes books, coins and autographed pics of himmler. Guy looks like Michael Moore with a weight problem and worse facial hair.

I think the same guy comes to my local gun show :rolleyes: :barf:

GunGoBoom
October 26, 2005, 11:37 PM
I learned to take a pad and pencil and write down row and table number of anything I'm interested in, because you'll never find it again if you don't.

Yap, but hey Hutch, can you verify for us what Krochus said, that this year's Oct Tulsa show was massively declined in size and/or quality from previous ones? If so, then I'm VERY sad to hear it. Larry A, was the last one you went to the April one? Anyone else besides Krochus & Hutch go to the Oct one? Thanks. Now I'm really curious if it's starting to stink to high heaven like the local shows.

Central Texas, lol, nice song lyrics - I DO got the gunshow blues!

Slinger
October 27, 2005, 10:20 PM
There seems to be a show here in N.W. Indiana about every 3 weeks. You do get a mixed bag of nice folks and nut bags. I've got some good deals on guns. What is really amazing is the incosistancy in the pricing and what the dealers will give you on trades. I walked around one show recently with a Dan Wesson .44 Mag looking for something that is a little more concealable.
One guy told me he would be happy to take my DW and 80$ of my hard earned in trade for a Taurus Millennium Pro 145. He told me it was the best deal that I would get at the show. I told him maybe I would return after I looked around. I went to another dealer who took my DW for a Stainless Millennium Pro 145 plus gave me a crisp 100$ bill to boot.
I do agree with the originator of this thread, trying to get any one to talk to you much less make eye contact with you is nearly impossible. Ammo prices are not really a bargin for the stuff I shoot. I'm better of buying ammo at WalMart or Gander Mountian. If I do need camo clothes therr is a 300 lb lady there who could set me up with the same stuff I can buy at Army Surplus for about a quarter of the price.
I took my daughter with me last weekend. She said she wanted to go along but once we got ther she was in a hurry to leave. I guess she just doesn't appreciate the whole cultural experiance, and she told me she was dissapointed that we didn't get to shoot any guns while we were there:p
All in all it's a fun way to spend a couple hours. Just get home before you have to use the bathroom!

MountainPeak
October 27, 2005, 10:38 PM
Yup, you are right. No need to go to "a" gun show. Hell, you didn't find what YOU wanted. The whining class lives on!

Larry Ashcraft
October 27, 2005, 11:07 PM
Larry A, was the last one you went to the April one?
Yep, last April. And no way I think it could have gone downhill that fast. We plan on being there next April too.

Having been in retail for the last 35 years, I've found that some people will find something to complain about, no matter what. A very small minority, I grant you, but if they can't find something to whine about, they are not happy.

I fully expect next April's Wannenmacher show to be as good as the other ones I've been to, and I'll bet I'm not disappointed.

bratch
October 27, 2005, 11:22 PM
I didn't make it to Tulsa but following the thread over on OKshooters the consensus was that it was down in size this fall and not as crowded as normal. Part of it was rumored to have to do with all the 'canes that have hit the GOM.

Hopefully it'll be good again in April. I'll be 1 month from full time employment and will have my signing bonus in hand:D

jsalcedo
October 28, 2005, 08:35 AM
I grant you, but if they can't find something to whine about, they are not happy.

Yup, you are right. No need to go to "a" gun show. Hell, you didn't find what YOU wanted. The whining class lives on!

We don't have "a" gun show we have "the" gun show that is identical every month. Every first weekend it's like that movie groundhog day.

I prefer to call it ranting... whining is done in a higher pitched voice and I couldn't find an emoticon for that.

Colt
October 28, 2005, 09:23 AM
What I love is how if your selling the dealer will break out the book and tell you your gun isn't worth what you want while he's selling used 10/22s for $250 plus

I had that similar 10/22 experience with a dealer. He basically had overpriced junk at his table, except (arguably) for an older 10/22 with a walnut stock. The gun had scratches on the receiver and trigger guard, dings in the stock, and some rust around the muzzle. I figured it was a $100 gun, something my boys could shoot. On Saturday, he had a tag on it with $225 in ink scratched out and $210 written below in pencil. After asking permission to handle it, and doing so, I asked him what was the best he could do, and he told me it's already below book. (I knew for a fact the book was $195 for NIB, $170 for 98%, $135 for 95%. This wasn't any of them.) I said "really?" He puts down his coffee, walks down the table to me, squares up, looks me right in the eye and says "Really." I said "My book says $195 NIB" He says "This IS NIB, never been fired."

Resisting my first instinct to just put it down and walk away, I replied "Well it's obviously been carried, at the very least." He kind of tilts his head sideways, and not even admitting he'd just lied about the NIB thing, asks me what I had in mind. I said "a hundred bucks." (I would have given him as much as $120 originally, but at this point, he'd just pissed me off, and I knew I wouldn't be buying the gun) He shook his head and said "You're out of your damn mind." Not just my mind, but my "damn" mind. I just smiled, said "Good luck with that," and walked away. He wasn't smiling, and eyeballed me as I left.

Sunday I found myself walking by his table again, and saw a new tag on the gun with $220 in ink, which was scratched out with $210 written below it in pencil. I just smiled at him. For some reason he didn't smile back.

spartacus2002
October 28, 2005, 09:33 AM
Gun shows around here are 15% guns, 85% beef jerky, airsoft guns, knives, and moldy surplus clothing.

Creeping Incrementalism
October 29, 2005, 09:46 PM
Gun shows around here are 15% guns, 85% beef jerky, airsoft guns, knives, and moldy surplus clothing.

Never been to a gun show before, but I love beef jerky.

MountainPeak
October 29, 2005, 10:55 PM
I still find the good, and sometimes great deals at gun shows. Thanks for not competing with me guys/gals!!! Of course, I'm a gun show junkie, that goes to more than one or two a year. Whine on, it's great for those of us, that LOVE gun shows, the deals, and the people we meet at them! :neener:

deker
October 30, 2005, 12:17 PM
I went to my first gun show in York, PA yesterday. Got there early (which I think ended up being the key to my success) and walked around a bit before the 10am CCW class I was taking there to satisfy the requirement for my FL non-resident permit. I had a bit of cash burning a hole in my wallet, and had a few things in mind (Lee-Enfield for my wife, commander sized 1911 for me, and my normal "list of stuff I'm looking for a good deal on").

There were at least a few hundred tables, and relatively few of the junk vendors I hear about in threads like this. Sure, everybody thought most of what they had was solid gold (I saw $400+ for an Enfield. Sure, it was one of the US made Savages, but it wasn't THAT great). After about 3 rows of tables, I spied a stainless 686+ w/ a 4" barrel. My wife had one of these years ago and has regretted selling it ever since she did. It's been tops of my "If I find a good deal" list for a while now...Problem is I usually see them for $450-500. Well, this one looked in great shape (if a little dirty) and was marked $375! I walked past figuring I'd look around and see what prices were on a 686+ from other dealers. Made it about halfway down the row and turned around. Talked to the guy, checked it out. Everything looked in good shape. Picked it up for $350 OTD. I also didn't see another one all day at the show.

Had to run off to class then, finished that up and wandered the show some more. Most of the good deals seemed to look less good to me now, and I'd spent a fair chunk of what I came with on something I hadn't expected. Decided to pack it up and go home a winner while I was still ahead :)

Got home, nervous that my wife would be a little peeved at me coming home with more guns since I was just going for the CCW class ($$ is a little tight right now, but I've been socking away cash from overtime hours...), but thankfully she was suprised and quite happy with the new addition to the family :D

So, I suppose not ALL gun show stories suck. I still think the trick is to go with a list of things you want, a set price you'll pay for each, and get there before the doors open...it was only 9:25AM when my NICS check got called in...

-d

Sewerman
October 30, 2005, 02:08 PM
Down here in the south the Eastmans gun shows are great, the other ones i have been to sucked rocks.

22-rimfire
October 30, 2005, 05:19 PM
I still enjoy gun shows a lot. I don't like all the flea market stuff. You have to understand how things are done there and to know your pricing for stuff you might be interested in. I take a Blue Book with me to the show and leave it in the car pending a need for some backup information on something that I'm not famaliar with. This works on smaller shows but not the really big shows as you may be parked quite a distance from the show. Recent market activity on Smiths and Colts show that the Blue Book pricing is low typically. It is a starting point on the negotiation. The buyer can also throw the "book" around on values, but it usually doesn't work. You just have to follow your instincts on value and not worry about it too much. Life is a give and take.

Boss Spearman
October 30, 2005, 07:28 PM
Where was this show?

aerod1
October 30, 2005, 09:07 PM
I still enjoy the gun shows in our area. I feel I have made some good deals and been treated fairly by most people. At times we have gun shows about every other weekend. I try to make them all.

Boss Spearman
October 30, 2005, 09:42 PM
Nazi man with nazi clothes books, coins and autographed pics of himmler.
Guy looks like Michael Moore with a weight problem and worse facial hair.

I think these 'people' used to setup at Indy. Fortunately almost everyone ignored them, so they have since disappeared.

MAURICE
October 31, 2005, 04:44 AM
Careful not to confuse the Big Tulsa show held twice a year with the smaller ones that are held every couple of months.
The Wannamacher Show is not bad, but it takes time to find deals since it is so big. One problem I have with it is the 'collectors' selling off their 'collections'- almost always near new or new guns- at every show. Of course they charge more than the legitimate dealers. To me cash and carry is not worth extra cash vs. buying from a reputable dealer.
Bought a S&W Model 28, IIRC from a regular table holder who sells mostly custom knives. Had probably a dozen people stop me and ask what I wanted for it. I would explain that I just bought it and it was not for sale. They then tell me "Well what would it take to get it off your hands?" I name a reasonable price (what I paid for it) and they reply with something along the lines of "Ha! I would have to buy that for 150 bucks."
Thats why its not for sale you time wasting low baller. Go away.
Now when I attend I make sure to carry a backpack. Still get asked what I got in that pack. I tell them its marital aids and move along.
Hate to be a jerk, but I am there for my benefit, not theirs.

mrmeval
December 11, 2005, 09:54 AM
Better shows have a waiting list for dealers just waiting for some idiot to piss off management. I'm hoping "blinky boy" at the 1500 gun and knife show goes SOON. As well as the other non-gun related vendors. I don't need your carbs nor your badly processed meat sticks.

I don't why, but for some reason the mere mention of a firearm can turn some people into total ***holes. :barf:

Even the cut-throat used car industry isn't nearly as bad as some of the stuff I have encountered. It's almost like they don't want you to buy their worthless crap.

WT
December 11, 2005, 04:53 PM
Just got back from the Harrisburg show. I haven't seen so much scrap metal in one place in a long time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another Gun show rant." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!