British embassy in Iran may have just been attacked

PDA

chaim
March 31, 2003, 02:38 PM
No links yet but FOXNews is now reporting that in Iran a car was crashed into the British embassy in Iran. Apparently the car burst into flames, no reports yet of casualties other than the death of the driver.

Well, we've all been expecting it but it looks like this may be the first act of terrorism outside Iraq directed at the US and UK over the war in Iraq.

If you enjoyed reading about "British embassy in Iran may have just been attacked" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Triad
March 31, 2003, 02:53 PM
Have you heard the term "car crash"? Happens a few million times a year. Call it terrorism when the facts support such a claim. It's a bit too early to say anything about this.

Destructo6
March 31, 2003, 02:57 PM
Excluding "CHiPs", I've only seen a few car crashes result in fire.

Considering it ran into the British embassy and burst into flames, it would appear to be a poorly executed attack.

I'll tenatively call it an attack until more information surfaces.

10-Ring
March 31, 2003, 03:02 PM
Until I get more details, I'm not ready to work myself up into needless frenzy. The needless frenzy can set in later sometime after panic ;)

hondo68
March 31, 2003, 03:08 PM
Just another "isolated incident" from the "religion of peace".
:rolleyes:

chaim
March 31, 2003, 03:11 PM
Um, yes I've heard of "car crashes", been hit a few times myself and I must say that I've never had the car spotaneously burst into flames.

Anyway, it was initially reported on FOX as a probable terrorist attack so that is how I related it here. If it turns out not to be I'll say so. Incidentally, I still haven't found any internet links and FOX hasn't said anything since about 10 min after I first posted this, then again they've had the President on for a while now so who knows.

Either way, no need to panic. It wasn't exactly a secret that we are at higher risk of terrorist attack. It would be significant if there was an attack though.

chaim
March 31, 2003, 03:17 PM
Ah, here is the first article I've found. It is from the Jerusalem Post. The article states that it isn't yet clear if it was terrorism, though the fact that the car crashed into the gate and then exploded would seem a bit suspicious to me. The police (remember this is Tehran, Iran :rolleyes: ) spokesman is saying it was probably an accident:scrutiny: .

Anyway, to the article:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1049077447325

Mar. 31, 2003
Car crashes into British Embassy in Iran, unclear if terror
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
TEHRAN

A car was driven into the gate of the British Embassy in Tehran Monday night and exploded.

"As I heard a huge explosion, I turned back and saw a big ball of fire," Ali Sajjadi, a teenager onlooker said. The body of the driver, burned to death, could be seen.

It was not immediately clear if this was a terror attack; Col. Ali Ahmadi of the police said the crash appeared to be an accident.

The police cordoned off the area around the embassy, which was the scene Saturday of a large anti-war demonstration.

During the protest, demonstrators threw stones that broke some embassy windows. Police fired shots into the air to disperse the crowd.

DMK
March 31, 2003, 03:19 PM
Uh oh, I guess now they are going to bump us up to defcon Fuscia :uhoh:

Triad
March 31, 2003, 03:24 PM
chaim, I did not intend for you to take offense, if I have offended you I apologize. i understand that you were only relaying info, so my problem is with those who presented it as a terrorist attack before they have all the facts. I simply don't think it should be called a terrorist attack until it is known that that is in fact what happened. Did the car spontaneously burst into flames when the terrorist attacked the embassy, or did the driver lose control and run into a building and kill himself? If the driver was smoking and crashed his car, his cigar could have landed on something flammable and ignited the car. A plane might crash in LA and kill thousands, that could be another 9/11, or could be just another plane crash due to mechanical failure. See my point?

chaim
March 31, 2003, 03:25 PM
OK, now that I have a second source I won't post any more articles (at least until it is verified to be terrorism or proven not to be). Anyway, here is the AP article (that the Jerusalem Post article was apparently from):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20030331/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_embassy_crash&e=5

Car Hits British Embassy Gates in Iran
10 minutes ago

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran - A car crashed into the gates of the British embassy on Monday night, bursting into flames and killing its driver.

It was not immediately clear if it was a terror attack. Police Col. Ali Ahmadi said the crash appeared to be an accident.

A witness said that as soon as the car hit the gate, it exploded.

"As I heard a huge explosion, I turned back and saw a big ball of fire," Ali Sajjadi, a teenager onlooker said.

The body of the driver, burned to death, could be seen.

In London, a spokesman at the British Foreign Office said: "It's not clear if it was attack or an accident."

A spokeswoman for the office of Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "Somebody drove a vehicle at the British Embassy in Tehran and whatever it was exploded and the driver was killed. Nobody in the embassy compound was injured. That's all that I know."

She spoke on customary condition of anonymity.

In Tehran, the police cordoned off the area around the embassy. They asked everyone, including journalists, to leave the scene.

The embassy was the scene of a large anti-war demonstration on Friday. During the protest, demonstrators threw stones that broke some embassy windows and police fired shots into the air to disperse the crowd.

chaim
March 31, 2003, 03:28 PM
chaim, I did not intend for you to take offense No need to apologize, I simply thought that your tone was slightly smart aleck and playful, so mine was as well. If you thought I was offended and/or thought my reply was a bit over the line then I apologize as well. Sorry about the apparent misunderstanding there.

Triad
March 31, 2003, 03:32 PM
A witness said that as soon as the car hit the gate, it exploded.
How is it that someone who did not see what happened is a witness?:confused: How could he see the car hit the gate and explode if his back was turned as he says? I really love the media.:barf:

Mike Irwin
March 31, 2003, 03:51 PM
I've seen a couple of crashes that have resulted in fires, and one that resulted in a pretty good one as the fuel tank ruptured on a car.

AJ Dual
March 31, 2003, 04:18 PM
Maybe he was driving a Pinto?

rick458
March 31, 2003, 04:21 PM
It was an ACCIDENT
obviosly, because they didn't want to hit the gate but the Embassy itself:evil:

chaim
March 31, 2003, 07:49 PM
Here is an updated article from the Jerusalem Post that they got from the AP. Appears it was a pickup truck that was loaded up with extra fuel. Here is the article:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1049077449337

Apr. 1, 2003
UK Embassy explosion truck packed with extra fuel (UDPATE)
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
TEHRAN, Iran

A pickup truck loaded with extra fuel crashed into the wall of the British Embassy on Monday night, immediately exploding in flames, in what one witness said appeared to be a suicide attack.

Police initially said the crash appeared to be an accident in which the truck driver was killed. But later the city's security chief said the back of the vehicle was loaded with gallons of extra fuel.

The director of security in the Tehran governor's office, Ali Ta'ala, did not say whether the incident was an attack on the embassy. But he said the truck was carrying extra quantities of both oil and gasoline, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

Ta'ala identified the truck driver as a 35-year-old employee in the Energy Ministry.

The witness said the careful driving of the vehicle made the collision seem deliberate.

The pickup truck left the main road and went through openings in metal barriers on either side of a bus lane that passes in front of the embassy wall.

It hit the wall, a meter (yard) away from the main gate, and exploded at 22:15 local time (1745 GMT).

"As I heard a huge explosion, I turned back and saw a big ball of fire," Ali Sajjadi, a teenager onlooker said.

The heavily burned body of the driver could be seen.

Sajjadi said that if the truck had left the road accidentally, it "should have crashed into the metal barriers."

That the pickup truck got as far as the embassy wall "makes it look like a suicide attack," Sajjadi said.

In London, Home Secretary David Blunkett told British Broadcasting Corp. television: "At the moment ... there is no evidence that it was a terrorist act."

A spokeswoman for the office of Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "Somebody drove a vehicle at the British Embassy in Tehran and whatever it was exploded and the driver was killed. Nobody in the embassy compound was injured."

She spoke on customary condition of anonymity.

In Tehran, the police cordoned off the area around the embassy. They asked everyone, including journalists, to leave the scene.

An hour after the crash, a crane removed the wreckage of the burned-out truck.

The embassy was the scene of a large anti-war demonstration on Friday. During the protest, demonstrators threw stones that broke some embassy windows and police fired shots into the air to disperse the crowd.

On Sunday, Iranian Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi phoned his British counterpart Jack Straw and warned that the war was engendering hostility toward the allied forces, and to urge them to protect the holy sites in Iraq, Iranian state radio has reported.

Kharazzi said the increasing bloodshed was "a human tragedy that will provoke great hatred by Islamic nations of the foreign occupiers in Iraq," Kharazzi told Straw, according to Tehran radio.

Triad
March 31, 2003, 08:12 PM
They keep saying a witness saw this, but the only person they quote is this Ali Sajjadi person. When I read the articles I get the impression the witness is Sajjadi. If so why do they bother saying "The witness said the careful driving of the vehicle made the collision seem deliberate." and "what one witness said appeared to be a suicide attack."when this guy admits he didn't see it happen? If the guy in the truck was careful to drive through a metal barrier, why didn't he take the same care to drive through the gate? They keep quoting this Iranian teenager as if he is some sort of expert on suicide bombings. The Brit gov won't claim it was a terror attack, so they find someone who will. It seems to me the media wants this to be a suicide bombing, whether it is or not.

If you enjoyed reading about "British embassy in Iran may have just been attacked" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!