Rifle Accuracy Gun to Gun vs Manufacturer to Manufacturer

PDA

bobhaverford
October 27, 2005, 01:05 AM
There are continual discussions on this board regarding the most accurate rifle models and manufacturer. There are people who swear by Savage, Winchester, Remington, Tikka, CZ, Browning etc. There are others who have had bad experiences with each Manufacturer and model.

My question is, in the opinion of those with much more experience than I, is the variation between manufacturers, GIVEN A PARTICULAR PRICE POINT, greater or lesser than the copy to copy variations in guns from a particular manufacturer?

If a manufacturer is producing clearly superior guns wouldn't the others take a cue and follow suit shortly thereafter? I hear many words such as cold forged barrels bandied about, but if one process produced clearly superior guns wouldn't everybody quickly follow suit?

Isn't a $600 Browning for all intents and purposes going to be as accurate as a $600 Winchester or Savage?

And isn't the repeated recommendation of such guns as the Savage and CZ at least as much a reflection of their price point as their inherent superiority? IOW, more people can afford them and so their virtues are extolled more often? They may in fact give more value (accuracy) per dollar, but are they necessarily more accurate than slightly more expensive guns? Once you get to a certain price point are the guns all nearly as accurate, or is the only difference that some manufacturers (Tikka, CZ, and Savage) manage to get to that price point sooner?

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle Accuracy Gun to Gun vs Manufacturer to Manufacturer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911 guy
October 27, 2005, 01:42 AM
I think the price and quality issues are kinda subjective and personal. For example, Weatherby makes a fine and accurate rifle. Varmint shooters avoid them because of the barrel profile. Too slim and POI changes after a few rounds. Mountain hunting? Weatherby is at the top of the list. I'm partial to savages because of the reputation for out-of-the-box accuracy, but there are slimmer and sleeker rifles to be had that are just as accurate for not much more money. So, I think many arms makers do their specialty trait well, other traits adequately. When you find a rifle that has it all, light weight, accuracy after many succesive shots, good looking lines, etc., is when you hit the mother load and also the mother of all price tags.

beerslurpy
October 27, 2005, 02:28 AM
I think it is only with the milsurp rebuilders who are aiming for a very low price point (CIA 500 dollar rebuilt CETMEs for example) that you start to get quality problems. When youre willing to pay a few hundred bucks for a much simpler gun, it isnt surprising that it should be well made out the box.

My tikka is just a barrel, a receiver/bolt and a stock with two screws that go into the receiver. For 400 bucks, that should be a hard formula to get wrong.

One gun company that always surprises me with bang/buck is Saiga/Iszmash. The norinco stuff was also great when you could get it.

USSR
October 27, 2005, 07:59 AM
bobhaverford,

Look for the features and the fit of a particular make and model that serve your needs. It's always a crapshoot as to the quality of the particular rifle you actually receive.

Don

dakotasin
October 27, 2005, 10:02 AM
i believe if you were to take a large enough sample size of several manufacturers across several price points, you would find accuracy to be very close to identical - remington, winchester, savage, howa, cz, etc...

i also believe savages are so popular on this board because they are inexpensive, and shoot about the same as the next gun out there, even if that next gun costs more.

so, why buy other guns - spend more money for the same level of accuracy? deeper features. eg, the savage firing pin is a p.i.t.a.... remington rifles w/ their round receivers and no-tools-required bolts are very easy to work on and get top accuracy out of for the non-gunsmith. or maybe somebody appreciates the 3-position safety and better bluing on a winchester 70 classic. in short, even if accuracy is the same, the guns are quite different.

looks, feel, extras (rings, etc), brand name, etc... lots of reasons to buy different guns. however, when you get tired of playing the factory game, you will start w/ custom barrels, and have a very hard time going back to factory guns...

Michael Courtney
October 27, 2005, 10:43 AM
There are continual discussions on this board regarding the most accurate rifle models and manufacturer. There are people who swear by Savage, Winchester, Remington, Tikka, CZ, Browning etc. There are others who have had bad experiences with each Manufacturer and model.

My question is, in the opinion of those with much more experience than I, is the variation between manufacturers, GIVEN A PARTICULAR PRICE POINT, greater or lesser than the copy to copy variations in guns from a particular manufacturer?

Price and accuracy don't necessarily go together. I've bought three Rem 700 ADL's over the years, and each one of them shoots MOA. There is general agreement that the ADL's shoot just as well as the other Rem 700 models that cost much more. With the exception of the Sendero and Varmint models, the extra money isn't buying accuracy, it's buying a better stock, a better finish, and added features such as a magazine floorplate or detatchable magazine.

Michael Courtney

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle Accuracy Gun to Gun vs Manufacturer to Manufacturer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!