Shotshell recommendations for 3 gun

PDA

bofe954
October 27, 2005, 12:16 PM
I am stockpiling ammo for a run at 3 gun next summer (if I am lucky maybe there will be something over fall/winter). What kind of shotshells should I get:

I'd like them to be cheap, I will be shooting a 870PD w/ a 20 inch improved cylinder choked barrel. I know I am handicapped by 7 shot cap and the lack of interchangeable chokes, but it is what I have now. If I can make it to some matches and get competitive I will get something else. For now what kind of ammo should I be looking for (size and amount of shot). Any prefered brnads and cheap sources would be appreciated as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotshell recommendations for 3 gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoser
October 27, 2005, 04:09 PM
1 1/8 oz of 7.5 is about the norm. 3 1/4 dram works most semis. Just about any dram equivalent should run your 870...

The most important, and sometimes the hardest part of shooting 3-gun is getting out there and doing it.

another okie
October 27, 2005, 06:02 PM
For me the hardest parts of 3 gun are gathering up all the stuff before, and cleaning all the guns after. I always forget something.

Gary G23
October 27, 2005, 08:43 PM
I had to switch to #6 shot to consistently drop the steel at our club matches. I like the Remington Game loads. I'm using an IC choke.

HSMITH
October 27, 2005, 11:14 PM
Look for a low velocity load with a large shot size. This will emulate a tighter choke more effectively than anything else you can do. This even carries over to a lower velocity load given all else equal being more effective on steel for the sole reason more pellets hit the steel and more energy is deposited.

bofe954
October 27, 2005, 11:20 PM
Hoser, I agree with your toughest part comment. I am trying to get everything set up over winter so next summer I can grab stuff and go. No more waiting for dream equiptment. Just using what I have even if I know it will handicap me a little (probably not really given my skill level). No need to hit a store beforehand, less excuses and more shooting hopefully.

TEXASTACTICAL
October 28, 2005, 02:44 PM
I like the Remington HD #6.

sigstroker
October 30, 2005, 04:05 AM
The Aguila 1 3/4" minishell. Some 870's might need modification to feed smoothly. Since the shell is an inch shorter, you can get more of them in the magazine.

lmccrock
November 6, 2005, 08:41 AM
I like the Remington HD #6.

+1

Although I switched to the similar Winchester Heavy Game load (3 1/4 dr, 1 1/8 oz, #6) so that my birdshot and slugs (Remington Reduced Recoil) would be different colors - easier not to confuse them under match conditions.

Lee

Chris Rhines
November 6, 2005, 09:55 AM
There are some gun clubs that restrict the size of shot you can use, most limit you to #7.5 or smaller.

I like the Winchester AA #7.5 Sporting Clays load.

- Chris

Gary G23
November 6, 2005, 02:55 PM
"There are some gun clubs that restrict the size of shot you can use, most limit you to #7.5 or smaller. "

I have seen this for trap, skeet, and sporting clays, but never when you are shooting into a berm.

MNgoldenbear
November 7, 2005, 09:01 AM
Interesting. The club I belonged to back in CA only used bird shot if we were dealing with aerial targets in the match (just for grins). We were required to use buckshot and slugs (no slugs on steel). Some guys preferred the full-power stuff, but most used the reduced velocity loads. These are like trap loads with a buckshot or slug payload. Much less recoil and faster recovery time for competition. Also still effective at defense/LE ranges (no personal experience there, but I did finish off a deer at over 100 yards with one this weekend -- all I had left on hand. The reduced Federal loads were probably the most popular for buckshot, and the Remington slugs wer pretty good.

Zak Smith
November 7, 2005, 11:59 AM
For 99% of my 3gunning, I use 1 1/8oz #7.5 shotshells (Win AA127) and Federal reduced recoil "tactical" slugs. These run my Benelli but are still pretty mild.

I keep a couple boxes of #4 buck around in case they give us some really heavy poppers.

106rr
November 7, 2005, 03:47 PM
The three gun matches I have entered require #71/2 lead for all steel targets and slugs for the cardboard targets. Rarely we use buck on cardboard but this requires a lot of tape and time to patch the target.
IMHO it is better to use the brand of ammo that will pattern well with birdshot and match the POA of your slug. Most of the slug misses were from guys that didn't zero with full power slugs. Thier shots went way high.
My Rem 870 with rifle sights shoots the AA Win 7/12 and the Rem Reduced recoil slug to the same POA. My pattern is centered at normal ranges. My slug goes to POA in the center of the birdshot pattern.
A smart guy would go to the store and buy a box of Rio, Rem, Win and Fed lead birdshot after his slug load was perfected.
BTW - The reduced recoil slugs are NOT accurate at 100yds. If your club shoots long range slug you should change over to standard charge Brenneke or Power Ball (Fed) slugs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotshell recommendations for 3 gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!