Damascus slides

PDA

Correia
March 31, 2003, 05:00 PM
Anybody here have a 1911 built with a Damascus slide?

www.caspianarms.com/index_slides.htm

Those sure are good looking. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Damascus slides" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
John Forsyth
March 31, 2003, 05:08 PM
I have seen and held one. It was beautiful, no other way to describe it. No way, I could afford a pistol like that one.

Jim Watson
March 31, 2003, 05:21 PM
Local guy has one.
Gaudy.
Give me a rust or Carbona blued gun any day. Maybe a little engraving that holster wear will just make stand out all the more.

D.W. Drang
March 31, 2003, 05:39 PM
I've been staring at the article in American Handgunner about this, and wondering... Why?:confused: What is the advantage? (nd personally I don't think it's all that good loking, either.)
Besides, the slide alone costs more than many new 1911s I've seen... (As much as a good one.)

gbelleh
March 31, 2003, 05:51 PM
I personally don't like the looks of the Damascus slides. But that's just me.

9mmepiphany
March 31, 2003, 06:26 PM
i think it goes to appreciating the work that goes into making one...and the history of the art form.

i haven't decided if i like the look of the caspian slides...but there is nothing as beautiful as a damascus fighting blade

ajacobs
March 31, 2003, 07:01 PM
I am at the bottom of a six month waiting list for two. going to have them built with titanium frames.

jrhines
March 31, 2003, 07:49 PM
There is a gunshop in Tulsa that builds 'em. I think they get the slides from Caspian & their smith works them up. Very tight, works of beauty, most of the guys in the shop carry them, say that only one man in the world can make that fine a gun. Too flashy for my taste. If I had a small Dmas billit I might make a hammer or safety for my carry gun, but just for the fun of it and cause that's what I like to do.

Flying V
March 31, 2003, 08:09 PM
I'd like to see a slide made from Daryl Meier (http://www.meiersteel.com)'s steel. Unfortunately, the billet would likely cost as much as Caspian's completed slide.

blades67
March 31, 2003, 10:11 PM
I'd like to have one. I'd like to have a matching Katana as well.:cool:

WhoKnowsWho
April 1, 2003, 02:15 AM
I like the slides. But I would prefer to have a blade made with that steel, anyways, I might actually be able to afford a blade in the next ten years... I don't think I could ever make myself shell out enough for a gun with the slide made of it.

Pendragon
April 1, 2003, 05:21 AM
I like the look, but I wonder if there is an advantage besides looks?

I would buy one - just for the beauty but it makes more sense in a blade.

Anyone have real numbers? What are we talking here? $750? $1100? $500?

Correia
April 1, 2003, 09:40 AM
I think the Caspian slides are around $500-$600.

Tamara
April 1, 2003, 10:31 AM
*drool*

Any real practical reason for it? Well, not that I can see, but sometimes it's not how they feel but how they look that's important, and they look mahvelous! ;)

HSMITH
April 1, 2003, 10:48 AM
Those slides are DEAD SEXY!!!! I would like to have one.

762x51
April 1, 2003, 10:52 AM
I've been drooling over this one for a while now.

http://www.actionsbyt.com
http://www.actionsbyt.com/images/pic1.jpg

XLMiguel
April 1, 2003, 11:11 PM
Personally, I don't much care for the look - it's kind of distracting from the basic lines of the pistol - kinda pimpy or sompin'. I'm a lot more interested in a titanium frame, maybe even a titanium slide, too. I think the qualities of Damascus steel are much more appropriate to balde applications rather than 1911 slides. JMO. Interesting, but not for me . . .

Ramshackle
April 1, 2003, 11:53 PM
Function over style. Will it make the gun shoot better or make me a better shooter? If not, I'll pass. Besides, I don't much care for vanity guns.

Coronach
April 1, 2003, 11:56 PM
Pimp.

Sorry, had to be said.

JMO,
Mike

George Hill
April 2, 2003, 01:08 AM
Pimp?

And this coming from a Police Officer that actually likes the spit polished patent leather gear and shoes with a crisply starched white uniform shirt and pants sharp enough to draw blood... Interesting. I would have thought... Oh, never mind.

I think it looks fantastic. Very upper crust for sure... but with it's heritage, not a bit foppish. That would be Gold Plating... like on some Desert Eagles or some such. But this Damascus is just smoothness. I'd LOVE to have one.
Distracting?
Does "Case Hardening" look distrating? :confused:

Triad
April 2, 2003, 01:18 AM
Pendragon, the Caspian Arm's (http://www.caspianarms.com/) website says they are "Available in all our models and caliber's" for $525. Long slide versions are $625.

sm
April 2, 2003, 01:54 AM
I have handled only. I appreciate the workmanship, they have a certain feel about them.

Tamara wrote: ..."and they look mahvelous! ;) "

Yeah and that too...:cool:

Coronach
April 2, 2003, 10:36 AM
George-

I wouldn't want anything drawing the eye away from the military creases on my shirt! :D

Mike

Owen
April 2, 2003, 11:20 AM
I was under the impression that the Caspian Damascus slides aren't really damascus, but are some sort of powdered metal.

They do look slick!

[Disclaimer] I have no evidence. My info is hearsay from a metallurgist.

Don Gwinn
April 2, 2003, 12:10 PM
There is a way of making "damascus" with powdered metal--I believe that's what "Damasteel" is, but I'm not sure. Those don't look like such a thing to me, though.

No, "Damascus" doesn't have any real advantage over plain old steel for a firearm slide, but it's beautiful, and it's rare, because a certain amount of skill over and above the machining of a slide goes into making one.

I don't find it gaudy. If you had a "Damascus" slide you thought was too distracting, you could always polish it. The contrasting patterns are created by etching the steel; the two kinds of steel react differently and at different rates to the etchant, and the contrasting shades are created. If you then polish the steel, the pattern will fade as the polish becomes more uniform. Get most Damascus down to 800 grit or so and the pattern is barely discernable. At even higher grits, or mirror polishes, you can't tell it apart from a solid billet of one type.

If you told the seller you wanted a slide with less contrast and a simple pattern, they could pick one out for you. No two pieces are alike, which is one of the attractions of Damascus.

(And no, I don't sell Damascus--yet.)

Pendragon
April 2, 2003, 04:04 PM
I would think it looked gaudy or "pimp" if that look was applied intentionally. edit: and I read that it was done with the etching stuff - but I mean if the pattern was just painted on or engraved or something - the grain is an inherent property of the steel brought out by the finish - very nice :)

However, folded steel is an ancient art and there is a very cool association with the samourai swords that were made with a similar process.

I see it as something of an homage...

Correia
April 2, 2003, 04:21 PM
As for them being impractical or not "practical/tactical" when you can afford one, trust me you will have plenty of other guns. :)

I still want one. I just think they look really nice.

HankL
April 2, 2003, 08:21 PM
A properly made forge welded billet of selected metals has many advantages over one of any homogeneous material. I stress properly made and properly selected.

If the Caspian slides are truly proper I would love to work with one.

Please read Bill Caldwell's Comments (http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=16171) on Damascus at Pistolsmith.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Damascus slides" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!